• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chase Freedom Q1 Question...So I haven't put any spend on either of my Freedom cards this quarter. I see "Apple Pay" is one of the 5% categories...can I just send money to my wife using Apple Pay Cash? I know I'll get hit with 3% fee...so I figured I send $1,456.31 (get hit with a $43.69 fee) and then we put the money into our checking account. For doing this I earn 7,500 URs which is worth a min. of $75 cash and of course I plan to hold on to them and use them towards travel once I have a CSR so that makes them worth $112.50. Basically I can make $68.81 doing this (or alternatively you could say I bought 7,500 URs for $43.69.

Will this work? I'm not really into the whole apple pay, chase pay, etc. world so I didn't want to make a mistake...

@Albort didn't you post an Apple Pay Cash screenshot in this thread for Q1? How did that turn out for you re: UR points and fees? I tried searching this thread, but you have so many posts that I couldn't go through them all!

No. You need to show an Amex Platinum or Centurion card (plus ID and same-day boarding pass) to access the Amex Centurion Lounge for free, and each cardholder is entitled to bring in 2 guests. The Amex Platinum also comes with PP, but PP does not get you into the Centurion Lounge.
so just to clarify...since I have upcoming travel, I can only access Amex lounge with one of those cards, not just the pp pass?

Does anyone know if Gift Card Mall still works for meeting MSR with Amex? Those cards look like legit Debit cards so I think I will have an easier time liquidating them.

Why are finances, credit cards, etc such a taboo topic. People think they can give others advice on where to eat, what car to drive, where to vacation, even who to vote for...but try to post a helpful financial tip and you’ve crossed a line!
:rotfl2: finances = politics = religion apparently! Weather is the only safe topic these days:umbrella: ...except that's so bad right now nobody actually wants to talk about that either!

Anyone having problems paying their card balance on the chase website? I can enter all the details - but the 'PayNow' (or similar) button is not there. I have tried different browsers and accounts.

Anybody else?

Anyone having problems paying their card balance on the chase website? I can enter all the details - but the 'PayNow' (or similar) button is not there. I have tried different browsers and accounts.

Anybody else?
I remember seeing a report on that a day or so ago, must have been on Reddit. They switched browsers and it appeared. Alternatives I can think of: Chase app or push the payment from your bank's bill pay service. Using your banks bill pay will add anywhere from 1-5 business days so if you need to go that route do it now. Or pay in branch, can you pay your Chase credit card in branch? idk on that one, I know Wells lets you.

I need to get working on the minimum spend for my new CIP. Unfortunately, I used up most of my big purchases on the last two cards, so it may take me the full three months for this one. I need to buy a Florida resident four-day pass for my mom for a trip we're taking in May. Would I be better off buying it directly from Disney--would this be travel and I'd get 3x points?--or should I buy Disney gift cards at Costco to purchase it with? I don't know what the Disney gift card discount is at Costco. I don't even have a Costco membership, but I plan on getting one now that I have the Chase card.

I'm focusing mainly on meeting minimum spends right now but I really need to learn about what cards earn the most rewards in which situations, etc.
Costco does NOT have Disney gift cards. Actually, they have never had Disney gift cards but people keep getting confused. I think its because Sam's Club has Disney gift cards :) (Costco has sold park tickets and vacation packages with a bonus gift card in the past but now they only sell vacation packages and they're not great deals tbh.)

Tickets direct from Disney do not code at 3x. They aren't considered travel, I believe they are considered entertainment, you'll get the standard 1x. Unless you purchase them with a Disney resort reservation and buy them with your hotel room, then it will be considered hotel cost and will ring up as travel.

Costco does NOT have Disney gift cards. Actually, they have never had Disney gift cards but people keep getting confused. I think its because Sam's Club has Disney gift cards :) (Costco has sold park tickets and vacation packages with a bonus gift card in the past but now they only sell vacation packages and they're not great deals tbh.)

Tickets direct from Disney do not code at 3x. They aren't considered travel, I believe they are considered entertainment, you'll get the standard 1x. Unless you purchase them with a Disney resort reservation and buy them with your hotel room, then it will be considered hotel cost and will ring up as travel.

But if I buy the tickets through UT it codes as travel?

so just to clarify...since I have upcoming travel, I can only access Amex lounge with one of those cards, not just the pp pass?

Correct. PP will not get you into an Amex Centurion Lounge. Only one of the Platinums or a Centurion card.

Does anyone know if Gift Card Mall still works for meeting MSR with Amex? Those cards look like legit Debit cards so I think I will have an easier time liquidating them.

DPs are very mixed. Do a churningsearch for Amex AND MSR AND GSM. Cautious advice is to avoid GCM (and any store, e.g., OD/OM/Staples, that shares Level 3 data with Amex), especially with RATs on the rampage, although some people say these still count.

Additional notes: Pharmacies and grocery stores don’t seem to send Level 3 data, but mix up the amounts in your purchase so the charge isn’t an obvious $xx5.95. VGCs from Simon Malls is long dead.

Chase Freedom Q1 Question...So I haven't put any spend on either of my Freedom cards this quarter. I see "Apple Pay" is one of the 5% categories...can I just send money to my wife using Apple Pay Cash? I know I'll get hit with 3% fee...so I figured I send $1,456.31 (get hit with a $43.69 fee) and then we put the money into our checking account. For doing this I earn 7,500 URs which is worth a min. of $75 cash and of course I plan to hold on to them and use them towards travel once I have a CSR so that makes them worth $112.50. Basically I can make $68.81 doing this (or alternatively you could say I bought 7,500 URs for $43.69.

Will this work? I'm not really into the whole apple pay, chase pay, etc. world so I didn't want to make a mistake...

yeah, i can confirm that it works... i send a $1 to a friend at the beginning of the quarter, got 5x on it.

My plan was to either apply direct for the Aspire closer to my Barcelona trip in August ‘19… to get all the goodies. Or just grab the Ameriprise Amex Plat ($550 fee waived year 1) for the goodies.

may i suggest, getting the Mercedes Benz Amex Plat over the Ameriprise Amex? you get 60k MR points + everything the Amex plat comes with. its $550 fee but your MR should cover that, leaving you with 5k($50) MR left. If you use that to transfer to partners, u might get more value back from it. Since its going away, you dont need to worry about the once a lifetime bonus.

Dilemma. My tire tread is at 4/32. I’m going to replace them after spring break. I can use PayPal at tire rack on get 5% or put it toward my spg biz msr. I’m struggling here.

But, as @SouthFayetteFan has reminded me several times in discussions around my SPG Biz spend, the return on ANY spend meeting that MSR is pretty good, even if you are passing up other points/rewards.

Any spend you put towards the SPG Biz MSR works out to be a 6x Starpoints/$1 spent return. I’d say that’s > 5x UR on the Freedom. Freedom’s Q2 categories are grocery, Chase Pay and PayPal, which should make it so easy to max out. I find it harder to find places that accept Amex to keep as much of the $7k MSR organic.

Any spend you put towards the SPG Biz MSR works out to be a 6x Starpoints/$1 spent return. I’d say that’s > 5x UR on the Freedom. Freedom’s Q2 categories are grocery, Chase Pay and PayPal, which should make it so easy to max out. I find it harder to find places that accept Amex to keep as much of the $7k MSR organic.
I concur with this observation @havaneselover. Meet the SPG spend requirement now with organic spend. You can always buy gift cards at a grocery store later in June even if you haven't yet maxed your 5X Freedom.

I just realized a couple hours ago that I had met the spend on my Marriott Business card. I was feeling at a bit of a loss for a while. I have been considering the Amex SPG for a while, but really don't think I can meet the $7,000 spend. I'm also honestly not really sure that was a card I REALLY wanted. I would have only applied because it wouldn't affect my 5/24. Then I remembered DH is 2/24:love:. Crazy that this made me so happy. I'm thinking I should get either the CF or CFU and then PC his CSR to the other one when it is time. I would be planning on the 2nd personal SW card for him at some time to get the points. I'm open to any ideas.

I see Kroger is offering 4x gas points on gift cards and Visa gift cards through 4/4. Might be good to throw in with your grocery purchase starting 4/1 if you have Chase Freedom.
Yay! I was hoping this would be back on Visa cards... we have a few hundred to get for gifts (if we're giving BIL cash for a wedding gift he's getting a Visa card lol) and this way I can put it on the SPG Biz/spread it out too.

I just realized a couple hours ago that I had met the spend on my Marriott Business card. I was feeling at a bit of a loss for a while. I have been considering the Amex SPG for a while, but really don't think I can meet the $7,000 spend. I'm also honestly not really sure that was a card I REALLY wanted. I would have only applied because it wouldn't affect my 5/24. Then I remembered DH is 2/24:love:. Crazy that this made me so happy. I'm thinking I should get either the CF or CFU and then PC his CSR to the other one when it is time. I would be planning on the 2nd personal SW card for him at some time to get the points. I'm open to any ideas.

I would keep checking the Offers for you Section as there is a 30k CF promo there. it doesnt all pull up so keep checking until it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter