I will find my way, I can go the distance…(comments welcome)

I wanted to reply to your post to give you some support with your heart issues. Everyone is different but I wanted to at least give you some hope that running even with cardiac issues can be possible. I get how scared you are and how unnerving it can be to be exercising. I have an arrhythmia that I am successfully managing and am still running! It’s really hard some days but I’m doing it! I have an amazing cardiologist who is also a runner and I am so lucky to have her on my team. Hopefully you can assemble a team that you trust and can help you achieve all of your goals no matter how big or small. :hug:
Thank you so much! I honestly, have gotten to the point where I don’t think about it 90% of the time. It’s just that 10% that can get to me. I think the most frustrating thing is that no one really knows why it happened or what happened. So I had one doctor tell me I basically needed surgery to put an implanted device in, and then another doctor tell me there was nothing to really be concerned about. Overall though, it has really made me want to get healthier so I can ensure I’m giving myself the best shot possible if something does go wrong.

It’s almost race week and I am nervous as hell.

10k is still going to be a gametime decision for me. I have not been training in the way I should have been (we were out of town basically every two weeks for a week since the middle of Novembe), but I do think I can do it. Just not sure if I will want to yet 😳

Went and got some arm sleeves to add to my outfits (nothing fancy, just a running skirt and shirts) because I’m worried about the weather. Even though I’m from MN where it is cold all the time outside of summer, I was FREEZING in Texas over Christmas and it was in the low 60s. I’m also probably going to go to Costco and get a pair of sweatpants to wear for the 5k/10k and take off on the course. We leave Wednesday so I kinda pushing things to the last minute, per usual.

New update: baring something dramatically terrible happening, I am IN for the 10k.

i decided today that my new years “resolution“ is going to be doing something I don’t think I can do, or that I’m scared to do, at least once per month. In all areas of my life I am a perfectionist and will absolutely not start or finish something if I think I will fail. It’s something that I have let go on far too long, and now is a great time to start living the life I want instead of living trapped in a mindset that I can’t do something. So I am going to do the 10k, and I may walk the whole thing and may get swept, but I’m not going to let it stop me from enjoying the time I have away from the frozen tundra that is home.

We leave Wednesday morning on a not 737-9, so I’m not worried about getting there. We do leave stupid early on Sunday so my husband can get home in time to work Monday, but I may be able to cheer on some racers!

Trip/Race Report - Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend (5k and 10k) 1/10/24 to 1/14/24

I am going to break this into a few posts most likely. I'm too longwinded and don't know how to write short posts apparently. First post will be pre-races, second one will be races, and third will be post races/my plans from here.

On Wednesday we left MN and flew into LAX because the flights were at a much better time for us than SNA. We landed around 1pm local time, grabbed our luggage, and went outside to meet up with the car we ordered. Our driver was AMAZING and knew a back way out, so it took us less than 5 minutes to go from getting into the car to getting on the freeway. We originally were scheduled to stay at the Westin, but my husband found some deal online where he could get an insane amount of credit card points for getting some giftcards through Marriott, and our booking at the Westin was looking strange (the room type we requested wasn't showing up and he couldn't get anyone to respond back to him), so we just decided to book a room at the JW instead. This happened right before the start/finish line location was announced, and ended up being the perfect location with one exception (I'll get to that later).

After we got settled, we decided to head over to Disneyland and hit some rides. We got a $LL for Rise, a LL for MMRR (which we haven't been on at all since our last DW trip was in Dec 2019), had a churro that was as delicious as advertised, and went on BTM. Then we headed back to the hotel via the Toy Store lot buses (such a time saver for us overall over the trip), and went to bed.

Thursday I woke up around 6:30 to get ready to join the virtual queue for the expo, hoping to get a time in the morning so it didn't effect our park time much. That ended up not happening and I ended up with BG 128, and an estimated return time around 12:15pm. We decided to kill time at Disneyland which was a good decision because my time kept getting pushed back. We went on Indiana Jones, which was one my husbands must do list, Space Mountain (one of his favorite rides) and then Star Tours. After Star Tours I desperately needed food and was starting to get hangry. We ended up going back to the hotel and eating at The Cheesecake Factory (no cheesecake this time though), before deciding to walk over to the Disneyland hotel. This was a mistake. It was like a mile and half, with no signage as to where to go until you got to the convention center at the hotel. I was not a happy camper.

The expo was nuts. There were SO many people. I ended up getting a sparkle skirt that I wore all weekend, and then my BG was called so we got in line for the merch. I REALLY wanted the waterbottle holder/purse combo and was super bummed when we got there and they were all gone. I ended up getting the black weekend jacket and the teal weekend tech shirt. We made the journey back to our hotel room, stopping at CVS to grab some water, PB pretzels for morning fuel and a few other things we needed. We grabbed PF Changs to go from the gardenwalk area, and then headed to bed.

Trip/Race Report - Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend (5k and 10k) 1/10/24 to 1/14/24 (Part 2)

Friday was 5k day! I've only done one other race in my life (outside of track in high school), and that was a 5k in 2010 when I was about 60lbs lighter. I wasn't sure what to expect. I ended up in corral C, which was less crazy than D it seemed. It was pretty cold, and I was very thankful my husband convinced me to bring my fleece lined leggings because I would have been freezing without them. I don't remember a whole lot about the race other than I just felt so happy. It has been a tough few years for us; my dad's Alzheimer's, the pandemic, major health issues for me, My mother in law being diagnosed with breast cancer, my in-law's getting in a very serious car accident the weekend before our wedding, my niece's father died of an overdose that same weekend, more major health issues...it's just been a lot. But for the first time in nearly five years I felt happy, free, and like I could do anything. My husband cheered me on and got some decent pictures, which was great because the Disney ones were all terrible.

After the 5k, we grabbed breakfast at Earl of Sandwich before heading back to the hotel to relax and soak my legs in the tub. After a few hours and some stretching, we heading back over to the parks and had our first real taste of California Adventure. We went on Guardians and Incredicoster, ending up in the first row for both rides. We weren't expecting to like Incredicoster as much as we did, but it was super fun. I had decided that I wanted to get some finisher shirts from the expo, so we headed back to the hotel to grab some lunch and then uber over to the DL hotel because I was not making that walk again. I still ended up walking over 10 miles, not including the race, which in hindsight wasn't the best decision. I'm not sure what we did after the expo, but I know I went to bed early.

Saturday was the big day for me. I was really worried I would be swept from the 10k, but I knew after my experience with the 5k that it was going to be fun either way. I hit the bathroom before getting into my corral (E). This ended up being useless because I had to pee again before the race even started but couldnt get out to do so. I had planned on doing intervals, but it was so crowded for the first mile that I couldn't really run. I hit the first set of port a potties, which I knew would be a mistake. It ended up adding 5 minutes on to my time for that mile. Everything is really a blur for this race too, but I do remember entering CA and the first character stop was Scrooge. I nearly started crying. My mom and I use to call my dad Scrooge because he was definitely a penny pincher when I was growing up. It felt like he was sending me love and support, and it was just the best feeling ever. There was a lot of confusion about where the ballon ladies were, and at one point around the 5 mile mark there was a cast member saying we were 3 minutes behind pace, which would have been impossible based on my split times. There was a lady holding a ballon in front of me at one point too, but then she just disappeared. I ended up finishing about 15-20 minutes before the ballon ladies did, so I'm not sure what was going on with all of that.

I was SO SORE after the race. The two races, plus the 3 Disney days really caught up with me. I did a lot of stretching and soaking before we attempted to go to the parks again. I had big plans to get pictures with my medals, but I was miserable and eventually we just had to call it and head back to the hotel. All in all, it was a great time though.

Last edited:

Post Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend and Looking Forward

I did a lot of thinking and reflecting on things during race weekend. Thinking about where I want to go from here, do I want to keep running, what are my goals, do I want to do another RunDisney race, things like that.

First, I absolutely want to do another RunDisney Race. The real question is when and how can I make them happen. Both Eric and I have pretty flexible jobs when it comes to where we work, but we do still need to do work and particularly with his job there are times of the year where he is working a ton and can't work ahead or be unavailable for too long. No one wants to be at Disney and have to work. Additionally, we have been trying to travel more in general, and the cost for RunDisney is...a lot. To put into perspective for us, we went to Sweden for a week in November and the cost of that trip (including a pretty nice hotel and tickets to 2 NHL games among other things) was less than our 4.5 day trip to Disneyland (and I'm not sure he even put the race costs in there to be honest). It's hard to justify at this point. We are debating on having me do the Halloween races, but we are not 100% in yet.

One thing I noticed during the race weekend was that despite being sore, my body was very happy that I was moving so much. Between law school and my plethora of surgeries the last few years I have been pretty sedentary for basically the last 9 years. I decided that its clear my body (and my brain) want to be more active so I am going to make it a priority to move every day. So far (and more on this later), I have done at least one workout every day but 3 since the 5k. And one of those days was a long travel day to get home.

As far as what I am doing now, because the weather is still fluctuating a bit between warm and cold, I have been using my peloton almost exclusively. I love doing power zone rides, which are individualized rides based on a person's FTP (Functional Threshold Power). You can read more about what that is here if you're interested. Peloton has a ton of instructors who do power zone classes, and they are structured really well. There's a group called "power zone pack" that works with the classes and instructors to come up with challenges where they put together a training plan for 8-12 weeks. The nice thing about it is that because your zones are specific to each person, one training plan can be written and it will work for everyone at whatever level they are at. A challenge started right before race weekend, so I have been doing that and having a lot of success. I am slightly ahead of most other people because I will be out of town for a week coming up, but its been fun to participate.

My wordiness has struck again, so I will come back later and do a separate post with what my workouts have been.

Well, that debate didn't last long! 😂 😂

Congrats on getting signed up, and GOOD LUCK!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter