If all Resort Points cost the same which resort would you buy and why

Salf777

Mouseketeer
Ok I know where to purchase Is a personal decision and I know economics is a major factor for most of us, so if all resort points were the same cost where would you buy and why?

Trying to get a feel for what people like about each resort and why

Ok I know where to purchase Is a personal decision and I know economics is a major factor for most of us, so if all resort points were the same cost where would you buy and why?

I own at BWV and after 20 years and 12 more DVC resorts opening, it will still be my first choice. Close to Epcot and DHS, amazing boardwalk view rooms. Second choice would be Poly, easy to get to MK and Epcot.

I guess you mean buy in price and not point cost. One we own...BWV. We started with 55 direct (had 200 OKW and 125 HHI resale already). Had to wait list for them and had the choice of BCV or BWV for same price. We like BCV a tad more but chose BWV for the lower point cost standard view. We prefer that area to walk into Epcot and bonus of walking to HS as well. We are Epcot festival fans. So it would be BWV which we currently already have 255 points there (sold the OKW and HHI but also have 70 CCV). My ideal ownership would be like 125 BWV and 125 AKV and 125 SSR. But I would not choose SSR or probably not even AKV if all pricing was equal.

Maybe a better question would be: if you won ownership of 100 points at any resort, which resort would you pick?
Since we already have 255 BWV, I'd likely pick SSR or AKV or even CCV to add to our 70. We briefly owned 100 AKV at one time and sold them since we can book there easily at 7 months out. Same goes for SSR so I'd likely add 100 to our CCV. But we prefer to stay at BWV with alternating short stays at AKV or SSR. AKV for the theme of the resort and animal viewing and GREAT dining venues. SSR for the quietness and proximity to DS where we like to eat, drink and shop. Our kids are all 20-somethings so....

Last edited:
I guess you mean buy in price and not point cost. One we own...BWV. We started with 55 direct (had 200 OKW and 125 HHI resale already). Had to wait list for them and had the choice of BCV or BWV for same price. We like BCV a tad more but chose BWV for the lower point cost standard view. We prefer that area to walk into Epcot and bonus of walking to HS as well. We are Epcot festival fans. So it would be BWV which we currently already have 255 points there (sold the OKW and HHI but also have 70 CCV). My ideal ownership would be like 125 BWV and 125 AKV and 125 SSR. But I would not choose SSR or probably not even AKV if all pricing was equal.

Maybe a better question would be: if you won ownership of 100 points at any resort, which resort would you pick?
Yes that’s what I meant to get across. I agree the better way to ask would be in you won 100 points.
Thank you

Yes that’s what I meant to get across. I agree the better way to ask would be in you won 100 points.
Thank you
And if we were not current owners...it would be BWV. For location (within walk to 2 parks, particularly Epcot) and the lower point cost standard view rooms and because it is tough to book at 7 months out. Those things are more important to us than theme/wow factor. We've had lots of front desk, room maintenance and MB issues there but the location really makes up for all that.

Under either scenario, we would chose BWV with Riviera as a close second; SSR & BLT tied for 3rd; 4th would be AKV (for Club Level); fifth would be BCV, VGF, OKW, Poly, CCV, BRV, VB & HH.

Another vote here for BWV! We are current owners there but before we bought we actually stayed cash. Had a choice of any resort and chose this one. Haven’t looked back since.

I own at BWV, AKV and VGF. If I were given 100 free points, I would want them at BWV. Aside from the ideal location for access to two parks, it also has great dining options, a very generous points chart and theming that appeals to us. And even though I’m not a fan of the 5-person studios, I’ll concede that having an extra sleeping surface in Bedroom #2 is an attractive option should we someday have grandkids and travel with them.

If I was gifted 100 points to any DVC resort, I'd choose VGC.

That way I could visit Disneyland a single time, then promptly sell the points and be able to afford twice as many points elsewhere. :)

Based on the original phrasing of the question, however, if I was in the market to buy I'd choose BCV.

If I was gifted 100 points to any DVC resort, I'd choose VGC.

That way I could visit Disneyland a single time, then promptly sell the points and be able to afford twice as many points elsewhere. :)

Based on the original phrasing of the question, however, if I was in the market to buy I'd choose BCV.
Grand Californian would be a great choice to redeem those "free" points. Except I wouldn't sell them after one visit! I'd want to hold onto them for the long term.

We have stayed at OKW most of the time. Studios have two queen beds, no sleeper sofa. One bedrooms are large. I just like the atmosphere there. We'll book around if we can, but many times it just comes back to OKW. And we use fewer points on our stays there.

Thanks all I guess I really worded this question wrong.
what I’m trying to get at is if money were no issue, no regard for how many points you have to use, what you could sell it for,, or anything related to value where would you stay?
in other words what’s your favorite resort? Where would you buy And why? Take, can I get better value for my points, all that out of the equation just where Would you pick to stay if the whole thing was free?

If they were all the same cost and same dues, I'd buy several and not sure which one's, I'd have to think on it. But they're not. SSR will be the cheapest long term and it gets you an 11 month window at WDW. But that assumes you're willing to take the risk and put in a little work to change at times or just stay at SSR. BWV used for standard and BLT for standard at those resorts (must own there) will be close, esp BLT assuming one buys the lower # of points as well. Consider the costs as well as the other factors including personal preference.

If they were all the same cost and same dues, I'd buy several and not sure which one's, I'd have to think on it. But they're not. SSR will be the cheapest long term and it gets you an 11 month window at WDW. But that assumes you're willing to take the risk and put in a little work to change at times or just stay at SSR. BWV used for standard and BLT for standard at those resorts (must own there) will be close, esp BLT assuming one buys the lower # of points as well. Consider the costs as well as the other factors including personal preference.
I guess what I was really asking what’s your favorite resort and why? Trying to find out the benefits of each. However when I have asked people this question, money and point value come into the conversation. when I ask someone what’s your favorite resort a statement like you made “SSR is the cheapest long term” comes up. What I’m trying to ask and obviously not doing a very good job is what your favorite resort and why? Do you like the rooms, dining,location, closeness to the park, etc. in other words taking everything else out of the equation, point value, cost, use year, expiration, etc Where would you always like to stay? I know I’m not being clear and can’t figure out how to properly ask what I’m looking for

I guess what I was really asking what’s your favorite resort and why? Trying to find out the benefits of each. However when I have asked people this question, money and point value come into the conversation. when I ask someone what’s your favorite resort a statement like you made “SSR is the cheapest long term” comes up. What I’m trying to ask and obviously not doing a very good job is what your favorite resort and why? Do you like the rooms, dining,location, closeness to the park, etc. in other words taking everything else out of the equation, point value, cost, use year, expiration, etc Where would you always like to stay? I know I’m not being clear and can’t figure out how to properly ask what I’m looking for
My answer is still BWV for all the reasons that I stated previously.

However, each resort has its drawbacks and advantages. It really is a matter of where you place your priorities.

I like them all for different reasons and I like trying different resorts and options, normally not for a studio. If the $$$ value were all the same when one puts costs, dues and # points required into the mix we'd probably go with BWV if we could only chose 1, 2nd AKV and 3rd OKW. Obviously you can't separate these factors out in reality and it ultimately depends on how you'll use it. I think one of the reasons the cost and value issue comes up so frequently is that those newer to the system often don't understand that and are often all emotional and excited that a dose of reality and balance is needed. Once they have sufficient real information they can make a much better decision. One really needs to get past much of the emotions to make a good choice.

Not really what you asked but in case you're trying to decide whether to purchase and which resort, there are variables that I feel are important. One shouldn't decide based on other people's preferences but they can use that info to fine tune their own that is based on actual experience. IMO for a DVC purchase to make sense, one should have a certain amount of on property experience, be OK with the limitations of timeshares, be able to purchase outright and be able to plan 7-11 months out planning on using points only for DVC resort stays. IMO whether to purchase or not is a much more important decision than which resort, UY and how many points to buy if one decides to proceed. But if one does decide to buy, it really depends on how you'll use it and you can't really now that without kicking the tires. So I think a rental or 2 is very helpful and unless one has a fair amount of experience with various Disney hotels, can be paramount. For someone who wants to try this and that and has no specific preference but mainly looking at WDW, the cheapest is clearly best. But for one who has specific plans, say VGF, buying SSR with plans to use routinely for VGF is a bad plan and so on.

I like them all for different reasons and I like trying different resorts and options, normally not for a studio. If the $$$ value were all the same when one puts costs, dues and # points required into the mix we'd probably go with BWV if we could only chose 1, 2nd AKV and 3rd OKW. Obviously you can't separate these factors out in reality and it ultimately depends on how you'll use it. I think one of the reasons the cost and value issue comes up so frequently is that those newer to the system often don't understand that and are often all emotional and excited that a dose of reality and balance is needed. Once they have sufficient real information they can make a much better decision. One really needs to get past much of the emotions to make a good choice.

Not really what you asked but in case you're trying to decide whether to purchase and which resort, there are variables that I feel are important. One shouldn't decide based on other people's preferences but they can use that info to fine tune their own that is based on actual experience. IMO for a DVC purchase to make sense, one should have a certain amount of on property experience, be OK with the limitations of timeshares, be able to purchase outright and be able to plan 7-11 months out planning on using points only for DVC resort stays. IMO whether to purchase or not is a much more important decision than which resort, UY and how many points to buy if one decides to proceed. But if one does decide to buy, it really depends on how you'll use it and you can't really now that without kicking the tires. So I think a rental or 2 is very helpful and unless one has a fair amount of experience with various Disney hotels, can be paramount. For someone who wants to try this and that and has no specific preference but mainly looking at WDW, the cheapest is clearly best. But for one who has specific plans, say VGF, buying SSR with plans to use routinely for VGF is a bad plan and so on.
Wow thank you so much. I’m new at this and you answered so many questions. I am thinking Grand Floridan I love the resort and it’s special to me for so many reasons. But I hear so many good things about the Poly and Boardwalk that I’m wondering if I’m being stupid by just looking at one place. I was thinking buy the cheapest and just use the points at VGF but from what I have read that doesn’t really work. It’s just me and my wife and we tend to go during the week off season and are very flexible about when we can go basically any time we want but we do love being there on the holiday. So I’m finding this is something that really must be researched and thought out. The VGF is special to me but I see so many people saying other resorts so that’s why all the questions. Sorry if I was a bother and thank you for all the helpful info!

Wow thank you so much. I’m new at this and you answered so many questions. I am thinking Grand Floridan I love the resort and it’s special to me for so many reasons. But I hear so many good things about the Poly and Boardwalk that I’m wondering if I’m being stupid by just looking at one place. I was thinking buy the cheapest and just use the points at VGF but from what I have read that doesn’t really work. It’s just me and my wife and we tend to go during the week off season and are very flexible about when we can go basically any time we want but we do love being there on the holiday. So I’m finding this is something that really must be researched and thought out. The VGF is special to me but I see so many people saying other resorts so that’s why all the questions. Sorry if I was a bother and thank you for all the helpful info!
DVC “off season” is not the same as the hotel side of Disney. Available villas tend to stay available longer in the summer. They go quickly in the mid-September to late January period. With the 2021 points restructuring, the late spring may become a new, popular DVC time. Race weekends and school winter holidays are also popular.

Typically, last-minute planning is not a good strategy if you have your heart set on specific resorts. But if you’re the roll the dice kind of traveler, then it makes sense to purchase one of the less expensive resorts and use those points for whatever you can get inside of 7 months. You’ll see those referred to as Sleep Around Points (SAPs).

But if your heart is set on VGF studios, you pretty much need to own there to be able to book one. There are only 47 and they are frequently booked out before the 7-month window opens for those who don’t own there. The cost to purchase is pricey but the contract doesn’t expire until 2064 and the dues (currently) are among the lowest in DVC with a compound annual growth rate of 2.8%.

Why don't you rent a time or 2, maybe even a split stay and try several. I'd want some knowledge at either BCV or BWV, either SSR or OKW, and AKV or WL (or both). The good news is that you could likely knock out all of these and possibly more in a couple of trips. Normally I'd say go walk around the resorts and ask to see rooms but that's not workable right now. Since it's easy for you to go and assuming buying at all makes sense, just go on a quest where the goal is to try the resorts rather than parks and the like. 3 or 4 weekends or a couple of longer trips should give you a tremendous amount of information. The better decisions you'll make will be a far greater benefit than buying quickly to get that next trip as a savings. Why don't you seek out an owner who rents and work with them or even look at some of the rental sites for discounted rentals coming up.

Then once you're set, if buying makes sense, make your best choice and move on. Don't buy too small but don't go too big either. I'd buy at least around 150-200 but if you think you need a fair amount more (like 300 or more), you could buy one and see how it goes then make a final decision on a different home resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter