IF out of state residents can go to DL say by August...

Ahhh that whole "make some tweaks to that June 15 date" makes me nervous for trying to plan a July trip. I just don't trust them not to randomly switch goals again- they've done it before. šŸ™„

But on the bright side, everything I've read says there's nothing to indicate hospital rates will go up. So really depends on the vaccine supply then?

I'm confident you'll be good to go by October!
Not trying to scare anybody because I really don't know, but I know we're only getting 10% of the J&J vaccine we were expected to. I haven't heard if that will affect vaccinates rates or not, but it something to follow.

I also think people should keep hope for the June 15th date, but if I'm being honest, I'm not entirely confident that means cancelling the in state restrictions for theme parks. I could be totally wrong, but the way he's done things in the past, I could see the overall guidelines/tiers being eliminated for those of us in state, while not extending out of that. It's also important to remember that he's ALWAYS said theme park tiers are separate from the state tiers and should be looked at as so.

I don't want to be the party pooper, so feel free to ignore this but as something who lives here, I feel confident in saying the rules often have not made sense, so I could see that continuing.

"For out-of-state people, visitcalifornia.com, which is basically a mouthpiece for the CA tourism office, has updated its travel policy:

ā€œCoronavirus: With one of the nationā€™s highest vaccination rates and lowest case rates, nearly all of California is open to welcome visitors. All restrictions except those for conventions of more than 5,000 attendees are scheduled to lift statewide on June 15. California has issued a travel advisory that recommends caution and suggests self-quarantines for visitors from out of state and Californians returning to the state, but those steps are not mandatory. Public health officials have directed everyone in California to continue to wear face coverings in congested indoor and outdoor situations.ā€

There's also this too. A promising sign which also echoes what the article said that conventions will be the only remaining business restriction.

Not trying to scare anybody because I really don't know, but I know we're only getting 10% of the J&J vaccine we were expected to. I haven't heard if that will affect vaccinates rates or not, but it something to follow.

I also think people should keep hope for the June 15th date, but if I'm being honest, I'm not entirely confident that means cancelling the in state restrictions for theme parks. I could be totally wrong, but the way he's done things in the past, I could see the overall guidelines/tiers being eliminated for those of us in state, while not extending out of that. It's also important to remember that he's ALWAYS said theme park tiers are separate from the state tiers and should be looked at as so.

I don't want to be the party pooper, so feel free to ignore this but as something who lives here, I feel confident in saying the rules often have not made sense, so I could see that continuing.

Ah well, us out of staters are used to everyone here party pooping on our hopes. šŸ˜‚ Sometimes you just need to be hopeful. As long as you don't book anything non-refundable you can push things back as long as they need to go.

I think if you aim too close to June 15th that's much more of a gamble than fall or winter... hence my xmas optimism. šŸŽ„

Edit: Sorry if my teasing came off rude, it's just been real depressing to watch all these folks getting reservations today while still being left in the dark.... especially since we love DL just as much! šŸ˜ž It's like not getting invited to your best friends bday party but all your other friends get to go!

Last edited:
I decided about a week ago that Disneyland is just dead to me for a while. I'm not willing to put my plans in the hands of the political leaders there. They could easily pull the rug out at any point in time. I had planned to visit DLR when it reopened, but instead I'm planning a nice long trip to WDW in January. I need something I can count on. Even if it means waiting a little longer (because I won't do FL in the summer heat).

Oh another note, I think relying on the J&J to get us out of this might be tricky. I know here in my county a lot of folks are refusing to get it and waiting for a Moderna or Pfitzer to open up which is causing us to lose progress on our vaccine rates in my county. (Oh god, keep our kids in school please!)

But we've also not had the crazy restrictions CA has had... Colorado's had a such more balanced approach. Maybe people in CA won't be as picky just to get back to normal after everything?

I decided about a week ago that Disneyland is just dead to me for a while. I'm not willing to put my plans in the hands of the political leaders there. They could easily pull the rug out at any point in time. I had planned to visit DLR when it reopened, but instead I'm planning a nice long trip to WDW in January. I need something I can count on. Even if it means waiting a little longer (because I won't do FL in the summer heat).

I have moments where I feel like this. We're gonna brave WDW in the heat in June...unless I decide to do DLR in July. But I'm not giving up our (perfectly planned out lol) WDW trip without full certainty... which you're right, we don't really get from CA.

Out-of-stater here hoping for a trip out west for sometime in August..... I'm so curious to see what restrictions will look like come mid-June.

I just booked a flight/hotel for late July. I'm out of state. Optimistic, maybe, but I can move those back if I need to. (Got my J&J vaccination yesterday.)

I got cold feet and switched to mid-August already (plus I'm hoping it'll be less crowded?).

There's also this too. A promising sign which also echoes what the article said that conventions will be the only remaining business restriction.

Ah well, us out of staters are used to everyone here party pooping on our hopes. šŸ˜‚ Sometimes you just need to be hopeful. As long as you don't book anything non-refundable you can push things back as long as they need to go.

I think if you aim too close to June 15th that's much more of a gamble than fall or winter... hence my xmas optimism. šŸŽ„

Edit: Sorry if my teasing came off rude, it's just been real depressing to watch all these folks getting reservations today while still being left in the dark.... especially since we love DL just as much! šŸ˜ž It's like not getting invited to your best friends bday party but all your other friends get to go!

It's so true. At least I'm going to WDW in a few weeks, but during the entirety of Covid all I've wanted is Land for some reason. The heart wants what it can't have.

No worries - no offense taken! I understand your frustration and your hope. Iā€™d be feeling the same way in your position. I agree, Iā€™d be much more optimistic about Thanksgiving/Christmas time than I would be about June. I know us Californians always come across as doomsdayers with this stuff, but itā€™s only because weā€™ve had the other shoe drop one too many times to believe it all - especially when he carefully added the ā€œif everything moves the right wayā€ without any context of what that means. I would just hate to see anybody bank on June 15th being the day. I think being cautiously optimistic is the correct approach.

No worries - no offense taken! I understand your frustration and your hope. Iā€™d be feeling the same way in your position. I agree, Iā€™d be much more optimistic about Thanksgiving/Christmas time than I would be about June. I know us Californians always come across as doomsdayers with this stuff, but itā€™s only because weā€™ve had the other shoe drop one too many times to believe it all - especially when he carefully added the ā€œif everything moves the right wayā€ without any context of what that means. I would just hate to see anybody bank on June 15th being the day. I think being cautiously optimistic is the correct approach.

Like when we thought the theme parks would open LAST July? šŸ’€ I rebooked our trip and was all ready.. I think we're all traumatized after nearly a year of over analyzing everything the state says. šŸ˜‚

Another thing to be cautious about is that the tiers are likely not a one way street toward normalcy. California and Washington State have done a lot of similar things, and Washington State just rolled three counties back to Phase 2 today from Phase 3.

Just to follow-up on this, Governor Newsom's Press Office respond with this tweet when KNX 1070 tweeted out about the drop in J&J vaccine. The big take away, even with the decrease in J&J "CA is on track too open safely 6/15" and the Governors office wants everyone to know the 15th is still the date.

Our area just got 1/2 the vaccines we were supposed to get this week period. Not a good sign. But, we have to just keep hoping. And masking. We are the lowest positivity rate in the US, so tell all your CA friends to keep working at it so we can open Disney!! I am happy our sports are open again. You can go to a baseball or basketball game with your vaccination record or a negative test in 72 hours.

Just to follow-up on this, Governor Newsom's Press Office respond with this tweet when KNX 1070 tweeted out about the drop in J&J vaccine. The big take away, even with the decrease in J&J "CA is on track too open safely 6/15" and the Governors office wants everyone to know the 15th is still the date.

Good to hear, thanks for sharing!

To tiptoe around other topics, this has definitely been motivated by other reasons too. Which would backfire big time for him if he suddenly changed course and pushed the date from what I've been reading in the news... So there's that to factor in. We're seeing that across the country really- people are just over restrictions as more folks get vaccinated. It's a vaccine race at this point.

We're rooting for ya Cali! I'm trying to stay positive... I like to plan trips anyways so guess I'll just plan two trips- summer and xmas and see which one I get! It'll keep me busy. :yay:

But, we have to just keep hoping. And masking. We are the lowest positivity rate in the US, so tell all your CA friends to keep working at it so we can open Disney!! I am happy our sports are open again. You can go to a baseball or basketball game with your vaccination record or a negative test in 72 hours.
Agreed! California seems to be on the right track right now (I went to a real live baseball game this past weekend -- with my negative test results in hand) and I really want the numbers to keep dropping so that by summer everything is back to (almost) normal!

Followed by news that the CDC & FDA are calling for a pause of the J&J vaccine all together. And this
https://abc7news.com/health/ca-brac...cine-supply-as-more-become-eligible/10510880/
So yes, absolutely be cautiously optimistic! Trust me, if anybody wants to see this state move forward, itā€™s those of us living in it! But take the advise of @TikiTikiFan and donā€™t book anything that canā€™t be pushed out without penalty.

Good to hear, thanks for sharing!

To tiptoe around other topics, this has definitely been motivated by other reasons too. Which would backfire big time for him if he suddenly changed course and pushed the date from what I've been reading in the news... So there's that to factor in. We're seeing that across the country really- people are just over restrictions as more folks get vaccinated. It's a vaccine race at this point.

We're rooting for ya Cali! I'm trying to stay positive... I like to plan trips anyways so guess I'll just plan two trips- summer and xmas and see which one I get! It'll keep me busy. :yay:
While itā€™s definitely playing a part, I donā€™t actually think itā€™s as a big a deal as is being made of it. It doesnā€™t actually have much backing at the moment. I could be wrong though.

But thanks, weā€™ll take all the cheerleading we can get! It took a long time to get to this point. And we WANT to be able to share it with our of state friends. I am completely confident one of your trips will work out! Hopefully CA continues on this path and itā€™s your July one!

Followed by news that the CDC & FDA are calling for a pause of the J&J vaccine all together.

Ughhhh I just read this too! This is not great news for anyone. Our cases in my town (we're a college town so that doesn't help) are already pushing the boundary of making the kids go back to remote learning and now this. Hopefully this won't stall anyone's progress too much... and man, if my "tween" has to go back online he's gonna be hysterical.

Things change quickly though so hopefully they can get back on track for June 15th. I'll be curious if Newsom comments on all this so if anyone sees it, please share!

Just a reminder, it isn't Orange county that will drop the travel advisory, it is the entire state. We still have numerous problem areas.
I know it's all speculation at this point but when I see the "Official" Visit California website running TV commercials here in Oregon to come visit California the end has got to be near !

Last edited:
I know it's all speculation at this point but when I see this (see below) on the "Official" Visit California website and they are running TV commercials here in Oregon to come visit California the end has got to be near !

"Coronavirus: With one of the nationā€™s highest vaccination rates and lowest case rates, nearly all of California is open to welcome visitors. All restrictions except those for conventions of more than 5,000 attendees are scheduled to lift statewide on June 15. California has issued a travel advisory that recommends caution and suggests self-quarantines for visitors from out of state and Californians returning to the state, but those steps are not mandatory. Public health officials have directed everyone in California to continue to wear face coverings in congested indoor and outdoor situations."

The way I've been looking at it too... you'd think Newsom's team would be aware vaccine supply would dip a bit once eligibility increased so they'd at least factor that in. The J&J mess is another story. But you'd think this decision would be made factoring in some roadblocks, right? Otherwise it's gonna be a huge mess for him to announce this date as loudly as possible just to turn back on it later. I know we usually can expect the worse from him but something has definitely changed in his approach. Look at how they out of the blue reversed course on theme parks, something is different this time around. We'll see!

I'm in Colorado so we get the come visit California commercials all the time too. I'll trade you a day at the ski resort for a day at Disney, we can make a deal Newsom! Lol!

I'm keeping my early June trip and have come to terms with the fact that we won't be able to visit the parks but I will visit DTD a couple times. But once Grand Californian opens for reservations I'll be making them for a few days in October and then a week in early December - I sold off some of my pin collection last year and banked the proceeds to cover stays at the Grand Californian. Plus I'm hoping maybe they will have a new AP program by later this year. I'll just have to be patient for my full disneyland magic experience but to be fair it's going to be sooooo hard being there and not being able to go into the parks. Oh and yesterday I booked WDW for next February for the 50th so at least I have that trip I can start planning. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter