In Every Run That Must Be Done; There is an Element of Fun (comments welcome)

4 Days Until: Chocoholic Frolic 10K

Happy Halloween!
49F3EF5D-01BE-41AE-A046-84C3EAEFDD92.jpg

We had about 2 inches of snow overnight, which is apparently not enough to bother plowing the roads for, so it was a bit wet and crunchy on my lunchtime run today. I did a lot of weaving and middle-of-the-road running to stay on clear pavement as much as possible. It was also really freaking windy, so I chose to wear my full bodysuit skeleton-in-a-running-costume costume. I had leggings and a T-shirt underneath as well.
01B1E266-FD3D-40C2-B6E8-0A0330D4A292.jpg

The delightful winter wonderland
1C114BB7-1CB1-404F-9C8B-F3E06D135895.jpg

This was supposed to be an easy run, but it was really cold and I really wanted to be done, so it became a 5K pace run. Mile 2 had the most treacherous patches of road, so that’s why it’s slower.
88119FF2-4308-4104-A3E0-79A019404AFF.jpg

My mileage tracker had a badge for doing a 5K on Halloween
A09E2C92-2F16-4CFF-87C6-2C3240418C4B.jpg

My grandparents got me the cutest Halloween card possible:
00EC2FCF-665C-4A0A-95A5-14A0791014E1.jpg
DF481949-7A26-4791-AB76-4F907AE60EF0.jpg

Weather is looking good for the 10K here on Saturday: 35°F, cloudy, dry, and low wind. And it’s going to hit 49 on Friday, so all the snow should be melted away and the roads/paths should be dry. It’s a really flat course, except for one hill at the beginning and end of the out-and-back.

IMG_6342.jpeg
I wore one of my costumes for DL while handing out candy tonight (and before you ask, yes, I was cold, but Iw ent inside between groups of kids) I won’t wear my fancy ears for the race, but I have less fancy ones that I could add a bow to.

We had 80 trick-or-treaters tonight, and had enough candy for 90 (I pre-portion it in snack baggies so all the kids get the same amount—I even make sure that each bag has 2 different chocolate and 2 different fruity treats)

Best costume was a tie between the tiny 2 year old princess out for her first official trick-or-treating, and the crazy cat lady with hair rollers, a cane, pink leopard print bathrobe covered with stuffed cats. Honorable mention to the Swifties, one of which was inexplicably dressed as a cow (but maybe I’m just not in the know?)

I need this weather app! When I ask Google, she just tells me the temp. But I feel like if she cursed a bit then it wouldn't feel so cold.

I was very glad I ran yesterday in DC when it was 55 instead of today when it was 37 plus a wind chill. Brrr
It’s called What The Forecast?!! and it has options for full sweary, or cleaner language (don’t know what fun that is 🤣🤣)

I was certainly practicing my bad language during the run yesterday, every time I ended up facing the wind, or going from a sheltered spot to suddenly being smacked by a freezing crosswind. And I’ve been watching Peaky Blinders lately, so the bad language was really bad

Just downloaded What The Forecast and LOVE it. Might need to spend the $1.99 to get the widget for my home page to replace the default weather app.

2 Days Until: Chocoholic Frolic 10K

I did my missed 1/4 mile 5K pace repeats workout from last week and it felt pretty good. Of course, I was entirely too fast on 4/6 of the repeats, but that’s not shocking. Actually, if I go by the 5K pace indicated by my last Magic Mile, I was only really fast on the first repeat, and I was super slow on the last repeat. But I don’t trust those paces yet, we’ll see how I do on Saturday. Also, those are almost certainly winter paces only—heat is my kryptonite 😂😂
A791A655-3697-45BA-B43C-BBF9C61DEE73.jpg

In today’s edition of “Maureen’s playlist has got jokes”—right as I was turning into my driveway at the end of my run, my randomized playlist picked “Can’t Stop” by Red Hot Chili Peppers

I ordered some accessories for my DL costumes today, and they’ll be here Wednesday. I’ve had the base pieces of the costumes for forever, but it just hit me that I’m going to hit my 60 day mark for DL next Saturday, so I better get going on the finishing touches.

Chocoholic Frolic 10K

This was an amazing race! Well run, reasonable field of runners, perfect mostly-flat course, and, of course, CHOCOLATE!!

Race day bib pickup started at 7:30 for a 9:00am race start, sonI wanted to get there about 7:45 so I could be sure to get parking at the park, not somewhere on the street (which, as it turned out, was very scarce because of road construction). I got a great spot right by the pavilion where bib-pickup was, and I was thrilled to discover that the pavilion was an actual building, with walls, doors, and, most importantly, HEAT. I might like to run in the cold, but I hate standing around in it. Another reason I wanted good parking was to hang out in my car pre-race, if necessary.

I got my bib, my amazing winter-running shirt, and a couple pieces of Halloween candy and took stuff back to my car. If to my bib attached to my shirt, ate a waffle, drank some water, and then headed back to the pavilion to stay warm while also moving around. I ate one little bag of M&Ms, but otherwise avoided the candy. They had a selfie spot with a bunch of signs, so I grabbed one and took a selfie (just not in the selfie tent, because it was busy) I always try to remember this when I’m racing and there’s people passing me like crazy.
A415D8D9-92F9-4987-B71F-2774E5A8728E.jpg

The kids race around the pavilion started at 8:45, and ended about 5 minutes later, and they swarmed the medal, water, and cookie table. Then it was time for the 10K runners to fill in the small starting corral. I started close to the front, just because that’s just where I ended up, but I made sure to stay on the far right. I started out well, and made sure to stick to my intervals, because I have a habit of ignoring them in the adrenaline rush of starting a race.

The first quarter, or maybe half, mile was on a paved trail, and there were a few spots where slow traffic and fast traffic got snarled, but then we transferred to a two lane road and everyone had all the space they wanted. 10 minutes after the 10K started, the 5K runners got going. The races shared a course until the 5K turnaround, an obviously, the fastest 5K runners hit their turnaround before I did, so I got to cheer for them. There was a water stop at the 5K turnaround, and also a basket of candy. It was like going trick-or-treating! The water was icy cold, and I only took one cup.

All through mile 3, I was leapfrogging back and forth with this lady in blue—I would pass her on my run, and she would pass me on my walk. I finally got solidly past her in the first half of mile 4. Also in the first half of mile 4, shortly before the 10K turnaround, I saw a bald eagle take off from a tree along the river. So, I almost always see cardinals on my daylight runs, my late great-grandma always loved cardinals and I was her favorite great-grandkid, so I figure she’s keeping an eye on me. I decided she couldn’t find a cardinal in the area to check up on me today, and sent the eagle instead 🥰🥰 I did end up seeing a male cardinal later in the race as well I need a lot of watching, apparently)

After I passed the blue lady, my next target was orange tail, a lady with a bright orange shirt tied around her waist and hanging below her coat. I passed her before the 10K turnaround, and set my sights on the silver twins. They got to the turnaround ahead of me, and they dithered around digging through the candy bowl, so I caught them and passed them. For the next mile or so, they would catch up to me when I walked, but as soon as they caught me, it would be time to run again. They were catching me just a little faster each time, and I thought they’d be passing me, but then they saw a potty and detoured and I was off.

In mile 5, I saw an eagle’s nest and snapped a picture
B392BF67-CD25-4F64-97F3-8522E1C09D11.jpg

After that, it was a long time before I passed anyone, but eventually, I got closer and closer to black and grey. They were fading fast and I passed them before we got back to the 5K turnaround. It got a little harder to tell who was in which race after that, because the 5K walkers had only just hit the turnaround when I got there (taking another icy water and a handful of candy—I should have had a mini trick-or-treat bucket with me, the pocket of my leggings was pretty full). I passed pink shoes lady and the guy with her in mile 6, and I’m 97% sure they were 10K runners.

Coming back into the park, I passed grey guy, but then he passed me again when I cut a run interval at the mile 6 marker short so I could save a little extra for the last tenth of a mile. Then the silver twins reappeared and passed me just before the 5K 3 mile marker! In my head, I was like, “oh, absolutely not! I got rid of you people ages ago.” I hit that 5K 3 mile marker and put on the speed. I passed grey guy, and then the silver twins, and then I was done!

I knocked 2 minutes and 45 seconds off my PR from the 2022 Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K!! This course was really quite flat, I think I’ve run bigger hills inside the parks at Disney World.

I hit the segment button on my watch when I hit the mile markers
355A0F04-556B-4ADD-94B6-B401CAB822DE.jpg

I got in line to get water, a medal (my choice of several different designs—they don’t put years on them, so they can offer prior years’ designs), and a giant cookie.
09063EAC-A951-41A5-A9AC-0311AB026398.jpg

I’m not kidding about the cookie—it’s the size of my face!! (it’s right up against my nose in this shot)
7247BA93-F961-434D-8F48-816F5D7D6546.jpg

I got my picture taken in the selfie spot with my medal, cookie, and the nerdiest sign in the pile of signs
96D3901A-BB4A-4E56-B664-BFFFACC24475.jpg

I grabbed a couple more piece of candy for my grandparents, and headed back to the car. I switched from my shoes and sweaty socks for dry socks and hard soled slippers (I didn’t figure it was quite flipflops weather at 30°F) On the way home, I hit up McDonalds for some fries and a coke.

Here’s my candy haul, minus what I gave to my grandparents
DF7201EF-5879-4F7E-8FDB-A166AD865E9E.jpg

Seriously, this is a NICE shirt—fleecy lining, and a zipper protector that goes the whole length of the zipper—so no cold metal on my neck or chest.
48C620BE-D8B6-4007-9694-6821DE2FB07C 2.jpg

They had some funny signs at the race
3FF07D3F-E645-4721-9CE3-0AC17618D40B.jpg
F3C74B93-11C7-4496-A408-CC5F5ED8EAE3.jpg

After I got home, I got changed and went out to do some yardwork as my active recovery. I blew leaves in the front yard so my grandparents could rake them into out leaf hauler and move them to the woods. Then I got to smash up our Halloween pumpkins for the wildlife to eat—I got to use an ax!! 😈😆 Then I got the lawn tractor stuck in the deep leaves and had to push it out—whoops! I took a hot bath, and relaxed for the rest of the day. My grandma and I watched Elemental and I really liked it!

Congratulations on your race and your PR! It does sound like a fun event and the medal is really pretty

Fantastic race! Seems like the organizers put a lot of thought into the details and wanted to have fun with it - those events are great. Super medal!

Great job! Sounds like it was a good race. I mean, it's a race with chocolate, so you really can't go wrong.

I love the signs! I really want the second on one a tshirt with the Star Wars logo 😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter