• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In Room H2O Products Now in Large Shareable Bottles?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is an interesting scenario - but I can see it being very problematic from a guest relations standpoint. Are people going to be willing to give up their specifically requested (sometimes down to the room number) rooms in order to skip housekeeping? Or are they going to be raising a ruckus because only people willing to pay for housekeeping get to be in certain areas of the resort? Or will it be a separate booking category - room with housekeeping and room without, letting you know in advance whether it's in a preferred area or not? Interesting to say the least . . .

I use the soap dispenser in the rest room since it's hands only, but that's followed up by a Wet One before eating or drinking anything. I wouldn't consider my hands clean enough to eat with after washing in a public restroom (whether it involved opening doors to exit or not).

The way I see it, I expect a checkbox in the pre check-in form: “Would you accept skipping Housekeeping, in exchange for a gift card of $15 per night?” with a footnote stating “subject to availability”.

This would be very flexible for them, as nothing would prevent them to assign guest that DO want housekeeping in building 14 (housekeeping would only do check-out + guests that wants housekeeping in that building). In addition, they could also assign guests that want to skip housekeeping in other buildings.

In addition, building 14 is one of the building closest the the lounge. This would be an incentive for eligible guests, especially those with King Bed reservations, to want to skip housekeeping, if the word spreads that it would pretty much guarantee staying in that building.

Just got back from BLT this week. Instead of the old 1oz hard plastic bottles the 1BR unit had 3 sets of 2oz soft plastic tubes-so much easier to use!

Just got back from BLT this week. Instead of the old 1oz hard plastic bottles the 1BR unit had 3 sets of 2oz soft plastic tubes-so much easier to use!

We are at the AKL and we have the same, larger bottle. I think they have been rolled out on all resorts a few weeks ago.

They are definitely easier to use than the previous ones!

I just think they'll become unsightly if not kept up properly.

Problem is, "unsightly" = germy.

Judging by past experiences with housekeeping, these dispensers are going to be problematic in terms of being cleaned. Usually, the soap dispensers you see being used in public (for ex on a cruise) are very sleek and streamlined. These are full of nooks and crannies.

In concept, this isn't a bad idea to me.

Now, whether the Disney Resorts will be able to keep up with this is another question. I mean, it's going to take more time to keep these filled and cleaned than just throwing a bunch of little bottles in the rooms.

Didn't the Value Resorts have soap dispensers in the showers year ago?
Soap AND Shampoo and they were hideous!

Disney removed them and started providing the bottles as a "step up" in amenities for the Values.

The Shower Dispensers the Values had literally were like something you would see in a "locker room" somewhere-the soap and the shampoo came in plastic bags!

These new dispensers are much nicer,but it still would feel like a "step back down" in amenities if they put them in the Values---Value Guests from the old Soap/Shampoo Dispenser days would have bad flashbacks!lol:)

It would really be ironic if they put them in the Mods/Luxes and not in the Values!lol:)

[QUOTEIf you're thinking of triclosan, I believe that is banned in hand soaps]

No this is another chemical in hand sanitizer that was in the news this week: https://wndh1031.iheart.com/content...ver-common-chemical-found-in-hand-sanitizers/

I sometimes think the chemicals we use to try to avoid germs are worse than the germs themselves.[/QUOTE]
I have the same theory about sunscreen. Let's all smear chemicals all over us to block the suns rays. Either way something is going to cause cancer.....
I use hand santiitzer like mad at Disney. In addition to washing hands. Sorry, there is a ton of germs and I'm 1000 miles away from our doctor and would rather not have to spend vacation in an urgent care. It's worked for us up to this point- no illness at Disney yet. But I do not use them on a daily basis at home.

I have the same theory about sunscreen. Let's all smear chemicals all over us to block the suns rays. Either way something is going to cause cancer.....
I use hand santiitzer like mad at Disney. In addition to washing hands. Sorry, there is a ton of germs and I'm 1000 miles away from our doctor and would rather not have to spend vacation in an urgent care. It's worked for us up to this point- no illness at Disney yet. But I do not use them on a daily basis at home.
A large enough concern though at WDW is norovirus for which hand sanitizer won't work-CDC says they are basically ineffective for that but if you were to use hand sanitizer it would need to be alcohol based ones in conjunction with hand washing rather than relying on hand sanitizer alone but ultimately normal handwashing is better against norovirus.

I am not opposed to this change. I think from an environmental stand point it is saving all those little bottles from eventually ending up in the landfill, because who knows if they will get recycled. I do agree that I love having them to take home as a little souvenir -- Funny this has been brought up because my MIL just popped up with a mickey soap (little black box with mickey on it) some of you who have been going there for years might remember them from somewhere in the 90's -- we now have it displayed in a little cabinet in our bathroom never to be used. I have even loved the mickey ear tops we got from CBR a few years ago -- those are still kicking around. Guess i should put those in the cabinet too before they are history

The way I see it, I expect a checkbox in the pre check-in form: “Would you accept skipping Housekeeping, in exchange for a gift card of $15 per night?” with a footnote stating “subject to availability”.

More likely they'd frame it as "Would you like housekeeping for $15 per night extra?"

I recently toured a high-end boutique hotel that is getting ready to open. They specifically pointed out they will have dispensers like this for environmental purposes and I'm sure it saves money. The product is still nice. It's just not in individual bottles.

My DH and I are total product hoarders.... from ANY hotel. We have a whole cosmetics suitcase full of the Disney H20 stuff.

The look on my DH's face when I told him about these new dispensers... oh my!!!! Let's just say this is not a GOOD change in his mind.

I recently toured a high-end boutique hotel that is getting ready to open. They specifically pointed out they will have dispensers like this for environmental purposes and I'm sure it saves money. The product is still nice. It's just not in individual bottles.
Actually, it's not really about saving money and likely won't. Hotelier here and I first heard about these at least 5-6 years ago in high end hotels. It was about attracting new, younger customers which every business has to constantly do. You have to replace older customers who are no longer traveling with younger ones. That churn happens every year.

The boutique hotel identified one target group, the Eco minded tourists who dislike all the product being thrown out. And we have to throw out the small bottles even if not opened due to health regulations. Hint: take them home with you. Eco tourists also tend to be younger.

The other group is millennials. They tend to dislike fighting with the little bottles and want to use as much shampoo etc as they want. Thus the big bottles.

As to grunginess, hotels are governed by health regulations for these things and we have to set up the room with safe product and dispensers for each new guest. So things like changing complete dispensers, pumps, cleaning pump heads etc are done as required. This isn't new and Disney is far from the first. No reasonably operated hotel wants to risk being known for propegating illness.

Actually, it's not really about saving money and likely won't. Hotelier here and I first heard about these at least 5-6 years ago in high end hotels. It was about attracting new, younger customers which every business has to constantly do. You have to replace older customers who are no longer traveling with younger ones. That churn happens every year.

The boutique hotel identified one target group, the Eco minded tourists who dislike all the product being thrown out. And we have to throw out the small bottles even if not opened due to health regulations. Hint: take them home with you. Eco tourists also tend to be younger.

The other group is millennials. They tend to dislike fighting with the little bottles and want to use as much shampoo etc as they want. Thus the big bottles.

As to grunginess, hotels are governed by health regulations for these things and we have to set up the room with safe product and dispensers for each new guest. So things like changing complete dispensers, pumps, cleaning pump heads etc are done as required. This isn't new and Disney is far from the first. No reasonably operated hotel wants to risk being known for propegating illness.

A voice of reason. :thumbsup2

Soap AND Shampoo and they were hideous!

Disney removed them and started providing the bottles as a "step up" in amenities for the Values.

The Shower Dispensers the Values had literally were like something you would see in a "locker room" somewhere-the soap and the shampoo came in plastic bags!

These new dispensers are much nicer,but it still would feel like a "step back down" in amenities if they put them in the Values---Value Guests from the old Soap/Shampoo Dispenser days would have bad flashbacks!lol:)

It would really be ironic if they put them in the Mods/Luxes and not in the Values!lol:)

But ironically if you read some reports, the bagged soaps are safer bacteria-wise than refillable containers.

So either your soap is safer OR prettier. :rolleyes1

Will the Mouse keep the bottles in stock available per Guest request?

That would seem to be the the way to go much like instead of getting rid of all the clock/radios,they kept them and they are available per Guest request.

I know I'm whining, but that's annoying. Even when all of our little bottles are the only thing in the trash that housekeeping dumps out for us, they don't replace the ones in the shower! I have to call. It gets old day after day. Last spring I finally placed a call to housekeeping and asked them to make a note to replace our toiletries every day. Does this only happen to us? From these posts I get the feeling that everyone's toiletries are replaced daily.

The larger communal bottles would solve my problem for sure, but I just want my vacation to feel like a vacation. I'm not at the gym, don't make me feel guilty for it by putting large pump bottles in the shower!
No idea about everyone but we get more everyday even when we don't use them. It becomes a joke to see how many bottles they leave us

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter