(Insert Catchy Title Here) ... Our Oct 08 Trip Report in Pictures ~ UPDATED LAST DAY

Cdn Friends of Pooh

DIS Veteran
Welcome to our latest TR, this one from our October 8th to 20th trip. Many of you already know us from our previous trip reports, but for those of you who don't, who are we?

DH – Lee - is an attorney with his own practice in the field of child protection. DW - Bonny - whose background is in Human Resources but has worked for DH since October 2007. We live in Edmonton, Alberta and have been making our annual pilgrimage to Orlando each October to celebrate our anniversary.

Because we visited both WDW and Universal Studios during our visit, we will link to the appropriate boards for the posts of the parks we visited that day.

Day 1 - Travel Day
Our vacation began at 4:30 am on October 8th when the alarm rudely woke us up. We had packed everything the night before, so once we got ourselves ready, we loaded our suitcases into the truck, said goodbye to the pooches and were on our way to the airport by 5:00 am. Our flight didn’t leave Edmonton until 8:00 am, however we live about 45 minutes away from the airport, and of course they want you to be at the airport at least 2 hours ahead of time.

We arrived at the airport, parked our truck and caught the shuttle to the terminal, where we had to wait for 15 minutes before the NWA counter opened to check in. Once we were checked in, we headed to US Customs/Security to wait in more lines. Fortunately the lines weren’t too bad at that early hour and we were at our gate with a wait of an hour and a half before our plane took off. While we were waiting, Bonny headed over to the Starbucks counter to get us some coffee and hot chocolate.

Finally after what seemed like forever, they began boarding the plane. As we upgraded to 1st class, we were one of the first on the plane, however had to wait while the rest of the plane boarded and stowed their carry-on luggage.

At last we were off …

IMG_0010.jpg

... more cloud pics ... even more clouds ... and yet more clouds

Next stop was Minneapolis where we had an hour and a half wait before our connecting flight departed for Orlando. To pass the time we took a stroll around the airport and took these pics along the way …

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

We arrived back at our gate with a few minutes to spare before they started boarding and took these pics while waiting …

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

We finally boarded the plane for the final leg of our flight, and after a "short" 3 hour flight, we arrived in Orlando - 8 1/2 hours after our impolite alarm had gotten us up.

We took the tram over to the terminal …

DSC00183.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

DSC00187.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

… where we ran into this guy

DSC00200.jpg

Next, we headed down to the luggage carousel where we found a place to wait for our luggage

IMG_0023a.jpg

IMG_0023d.jpg

… across from this sign

IMG_0023c.jpg

While Lee waited for the luggage, Bonny headed to the National Emerald Aisle to grab our car. Unfortunately there was nothing exciting on the Aisle, but we did manage to grab a Pontiac G6 GXP with leather seats, sunroof and only 130 miles on the odometer (as we would find out during the course of our trip, the car wasn’t the best on gas, however it was much better than the Saturn we had on a previous trip).

After Lee arrived with the luggage, we were off to our resort - Pop Century. When we made our ressies, we had requested top floor of building 1 so we were anxious to see if our request had been granted (we had that location for both our May 2007 and May 2008 trips and loved the location) . Arriving at Pop, we headed to check-in with our travel mugs in hand. The CM who checked us in was great (can’t remember his name off hand) but unfortunately our room was in building 9. Oh well, we were just glad to be there.

IMG_0039a.jpg

We stopped and filled our mugs then headed to find our room. As it turns out, our room was only across the parking lot from the bus stops, so it was as close, if not closer, to classic hall than our room had been in building 1 ...

IMG_0039b.jpg

IMG_0040a.jpg

IMG_0040d.jpg

IMG_0040b.jpg

IMG_0040c.jpg

After unloading our luggage, we decided to head over to Earl of Sandwich at DTD for a bite to eat. Arriving at DTD, we were very surprised how few people were there – we were able to find a close parking spot without much trouble (unlike other trips where we’ve had to circle around the parking lot for hours to find a place to park). After filling our tummies, we of course had to stop by Ghirardelli’s for our chocolate sample before heading back to Pop, where Bonny’s next task was to decorate our resort window. This was the first time in all our trips we had decorated our window and if we do say so, it turned out quite nice.

IMG_0048.jpg

After a long day of traveling (and waiting), we climbed into bed for a good night’s sleep – after all, the next day was our day at Universal and HHN that evening …

Woo Hoo! Great start Bonny & Lee.

If you had headed to gate C23 instead of gate D5 you could have come and seen me! Can't wait to read more. Love all the pics!

C3 or C12 woulda broughtya here...then again..I don't blame anyone for not wanting to come here....

Doesn't the 'monorail' at MCO remind you of Disney? :laughing:

Your window at Pop looks great!
(note to [your]self: ask for that building again...it seemed at great location ;) )

i always enjoy reading your reports....

only thing, i don't know if it is lee or bonny that is telling the story.
why don't you color code it so that way i'll know.

as if it would make a difference...:laughing:

since i know both of you and your voices, as i read your reports i can hear your voices telling the story.

don't laugh at that or i will have to hurt you.....:rolleyes1

BOO! Your cloud pics are better than mine. lol Great start, can't wait to read more.

i'm here waiting for the next episode.......

don't go to work today.

come back and tell more about your trippie.........:rolleyes1

Thanks everyone for reading along with us ... should have our next installment up hopefully later tonight!

i always enjoy reading your reports....

only thing, i don't know if it is lee or bonny that is telling the story.
why don't you color code it so that way i'll know.

as if it would make a difference...:laughing:

since i know both of you and your voices, as i read your reports i can hear your voices telling the story.

don't laugh at that or i will have to hurt you.....:rolleyes1

Mac - it's Bonny writing this TR. If it were Lee, you'd have a lot more general smartassery ... ;)

Day 2 – Universal Studios

After sleeping in a bit, we got ourselves ready and were out the door on our way to US around 10 am.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Arriving at the park ...

IMG_0053.jpg

One of our annual fall trip rituals is to take a picture of the HHN billboard before heading to the parking garages …

IMG_0057.jpg

After parking, we started the trek to the Studios …

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0084a.jpg

Of course, we (or at least Bonny) had been watching the HHN website and were anxious to see all the decorations during the day.

First up was Asylum in Wonderland …

HHN08-002.jpg

HHN08-001.jpg

Next, the Skoolhouse …

HHN08-003.jpg

HHN08-004.jpg

HHN08-005.jpg

HHN08-006.jpg

HHN08-007.jpg

We then headed off through what we call “The Pumpkin Patch” … this was one of our favorite parts of the park this year (there were over 400 pumpkins in this area) …

HHN08-008.jpg

HHN08-010.jpg

HHN08-011.jpg

HHN08-012.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

HHN08-79.jpg

... continued in next post

Next, we headed over to Fractured Tales …

HHN08-013.jpg

About this time, we were both starting to get “rumbly in our tummies” so decided to head over to Lombards for lunch. We didn’t have a reservation, but only waited maybe 10 minutes for a table.

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

After lunch, we headed over to Monsters Café so that Lee could take some pictures with his new camera …

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00378.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

Next up was the American Gothic scarezone …

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

We had recently heard about the new classic monsters display over in the lobby of the Make-Up show, and decided now was a good time to head on over … Lee was especially looking forward to seeing it, and as it would turn out, after over an hour, Bonny literally had to drag him out of the display!

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

There was also a HHN section … although not much …

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

After finally getting Lee out of the display, we headed over to the Universal Store to pick up some HHN souvies where we found Mary hiding …

IMG_0220.jpg

HHN08-21.jpg

HHN08-22.jpg

HHN08-106.jpg

HHN08-105.jpg

… up next, our first night at HHN!!

great!!

why do i take a camera with me when lee's pic's look very professional?

i'll just hijack his pics....:rolleyes1

Hi Bonny and Lee,

It was a pleasure meeting both of you on the RIP tour! Thanks for the trip report! I've enjoyed reading it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter