Inspired by the "Can I cut in line..etc " thread

On the child swap - I have no kids and don't really want any, but I don't get why CM's would need verification of your child's height (or even existence, really) to give you a swap. Doesn't the first person in the party still have to wait in the regular line? If you didn't have kids, or if your kids were tall enough and wanted to ride, you'd all be in line at the same time. So what would it benefit anyone to pretend they had a small child in order to get the child swap? :confused3

I don't like it either. It upsets my youngest to go get measured (she thinks she is riding)

But I guess the reason is some people would just get ONE fast pass for a couple rides that have rider switch and then would be able to all ride on essentially one FP.

I think the better remedy is to collect FP for all family members if the original rider is going through the FP lane.

On the child swap - I have no kids and don't really want any, but I don't get why CM's would need verification of your child's height (or even existence, really) to give you a swap. Doesn't the first person in the party still have to wait in the regular line? If you didn't have kids, or if your kids were tall enough and wanted to ride, you'd all be in line at the same time. So what would it benefit anyone to pretend they had a small child in order to get the child swap? :confused3

Because it would be too easy to abuse otherwise. Rider Switch passes are only given out at Fastpass attractions where a child is too small to ride. The only way to know if a child is too small (beyond them being obviously too small, like a baby) is to measure them.

Otherwise, I walk up with my family and say that my child isn't going to ride. They take my word for it, and give me a Rider Switch pass, which is a Fastpass good for three people. I enter the line, first, but then shortly afterwards DW and the child (who IS tall enough) enter the line as well, meet up with me (I let people pass so we don't need to get into THAT again), we all ride, and then we all get to ride again using the RS pass.

I just easily got a free Fastpass for my group.

Alternately I could jump out of line after entering, and then all three of us enter with the RS pass and never actually have to wait in line.

I don't like it either. It upsets my youngest to go get measured (she thinks she is riding)

But I guess the reason is some people would just get ONE fast pass for a couple rides that have rider switch and then would be able to all ride on essentially one FP.

I think the better remedy is to collect FP for all family members if the original rider is going through the FP lane.

This actually isn't related to the combining of FP and RS in one...it can easily be abused without using FP at all if they don't enforce height as a limit.

it IS a smoke free park, with smoking allowed ONLY in designated smoking areas. there are few of them, set back, and very few near bathrooms. we always obey the rules and are courteous smokers.

I meant 'smoke free' as in no smoking at all anywhere inside the park. I really do appreciate it when courteous smokers stay in the designated area, my experience has been that I still get a lung full (and so do my kids) a few times throughout our vacation when visiting bathrooms or walking past a smoking area. I know this is a hot button issue and I don't want to offend...it's just my opinion as a non smoker with young kids. I'm also a little sensitive on the subject because my grandmother died of lung cancer due to smoking and we were very close.

Unrelated question: So child swap can only be used if the child is too small to ride? What if you have a young child (say 3) who is tall enough but afraid to ride? My DD is still too short for many of the thrill type rides, but her friend who is the same age is much taller than she is and would be able to ride anything in WDW. My DD is scared to ride Pirates let alone any of the mountains. We wouldn't be able to use rider swap with her if she reached the height minimum but was too afraid to ride?

Unrelated question: So child swap can only be used if the child is too small to ride? What if you have a young child (say 3) who is tall enough but afraid to ride? My DD is still too short for many of the thrill type rides, but her friend who is the same age is much taller than she is and would be able to ride anything in WDW. My DD is scared to ride Pirates let alone any of the mountains. We wouldn't be able to use rider swap with her if she reached the height minimum but was too afraid to ride?

Specifically, Rider Switch is only for children too small to ride. Here is my canned response...

Just to avoid any confusion, there are TWO different things that some people refer to as "child swap", "baby swap", etc.

First, there is a formal system in place at most all Fastpass attractions that have a height requirement, called Rider Switch. Follow the link for complete details (and exceptions), but this is what most people will respond with for answers.

Second, at all other attractions, or at the Rider Switch attractions where a child simply chooses not to ride, there MAY be a way to accommodate the situation. However it is different at each attraction because of the different ways loading and unloading are handled which are often in different locations. Ask the greeting CM for what the possibilities are.

livndisney: Nope, don't care to 'suggest' rules for strollers. My comment was in line with the thread and I was expressing my opinion. And, of course, it was a sensitive issue to a poster and taken out of the context to which I meant it to be taken. Now, if strollers are YOUR issue, maybe you'd like to discuss it? :rolleyes1

I meant 'smoke free' as in no smoking at all anywhere inside the park.

?

this won't happen, as it is blatently unfair. but also, it will make it worse. smokers are willing to go to dsas outlaw it entirely, and MANY smokers will just smoke wherever they want. better to have us isolated in DSAs.

the few that used to be near bathrooms have been moved. no one has to walk near a dsa if they don't want to.

Second, at all other attractions, or at the Rider Switch attractions where a child simply chooses not to ride, there MAY be a way to accommodate the situation. However it is different at each attraction because of the different ways loading and unloading are handled which are often in different locations. Ask the greeting CM for what the possibilities are.

hhmm. I never thought about this. As a "chicken" myself, I always felt bad for the kid in line with the rest of his family... terrified... with the parent saying "you HAVE to go on, becasue the rest of us want to and we can't leave you alone." i walk through the line with hubby (often it's dark, and he doesn't see well) and meet him at the exit.. once the parents let the frightened child stay with me. that doesn't happen often (as they don't know me; I know I'm safe, but THEY dont'!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter