Inspired by the "Can I cut in line..etc " thread

Yes indeed - I am a mum to an 18 month old, it really annoys me when parents seem to think that their 2/3/4 maybe even 5 year old should have a seat of its own when the child could sit on the parents lap. My daughter will have her own seat if there are plenty of seats and sit in my lap if there are adults standing.

BUT how do you know that we didn't pass up a full bus and wait for the next bus so everyone in our family could sit? You don't.

We wait if there are no seats. So no ~ you will not be my 4 year olds seat because she stood at the bus stop just like the rest of us and WAITED for the bus with a seat on it. JMHO ~ for the record DH would give his seat up for you if you needed it. Heck he would even give it to you just because you asked.

And no ~ it isn't EASY for me to hold my 52lb 4 year old on my lap so you who choose to get on a FULL bus can sit. Sorry.

:3dglasses Ahhhh....the lovely 'staking out of the parade spot'. Let me give you this true scenario and tell me what you would have done: It's June, MK, in the back by the fork in the paths that will take you to BTRR or CBJ or POC; just a few feet toward CBJ but across the street. The parade tape is down but it's not too crowded yet. We find an empty spot and stand there. A kid comes running up to us to tell us that is HIS spot...don't we see the hat on the ground? Sure enough, there was a baseball hat on the ground. I look behind me and several yards away is a lady sitting on the stone wall saying "Yeah, that's our spot." I just looked at her and said "Are you kidding me?" We stood there and as the parade drew near she proceeded to try to get her party of roughly a bazillion people in front of us but we didn't give our ground. We did let little kids' get in front but give me a break! A baseball hat is staking territory????:rolleyes1

How about the lady in her wheelchair and her entourage who were keeping a 20 ft radius cleared so she could see the fireworks who asked my 4 year old to move (even though 4 year old was there first) because she couldn't see a perfect view of the castle and fireworks?

Seem fair? No one dared say anything to her ~ and yes we moved to an obstructed view.

She had like 10 people with her going around asking everyone to move so she could see.

How about the lady in her wheelchair and her entourage who were keeping a 20 ft radius cleared so she could see the fireworks who asked my 4 year old to move (even though 4 year old was there first) because she couldn't see a perfect view of the castle and fireworks?

Seem fair? No one dared say anything to her ~ and yes we moved to an obstructed view.

She had like 10 people with her going around asking everyone to move so she could see.

That would truly tick me off. Kinda reminds me of a time when my friend and I, as 13 year olds, got stuck claiming a bench for Illuminations for his mother and her friend. We're sitting there while those two went off to shop till about an hour or so before the event started, and a older couple decided to sit down. Nearly sitting on one of us. He explains the situation, the old woman gets aggressive, I go to find his mom b/c she starts to get into his face. Find her, she comes back, then the woman pounces on his.

BUT how do you know that we didn't pass up a full bus and wait for the next bus so everyone in our family could sit? You don't.

We wait if there are no seats. So no ~ you will not be my 4 year olds seat because she stood at the bus stop just like the rest of us and WAITED for the bus with a seat on it. JMHO ~ for the record DH would give his seat up for you if you needed it. Heck he would even give it to you just because you asked.

And no ~ it isn't EASY for me to hold my 52lb 4 year old on my lap so you who choose to get on a FULL bus can sit. Sorry.

This may be your opinion and you are perfectly entitled to it, but you are flamin ME because I would expect MY child to sit on MY lap so that ANOTHER vacationer could have a seat on the bus. How is it unreasonable for my child to give up her seat? If you choose for your child to sit, your choice. If I choose for my child to give up her seat - my choice.

In the past I have seen numerous rides throughout the world where there is a wheelchair entrance and people board in a different location. I'm just saying I've seen people taking advantage.

While that may have been true in the past, now most ride lines are wheelchair acessable. Having a wheelchair or scooter does not get you on the rides any quicker now-a-days.

This may be your opinion and you are perfectly entitled to it, but you are flamin ME because I would expect MY child to sit on MY lap so that ANOTHER vacationer could have a seat on the bus. How is it unreasonable for my child to give up her seat? If you choose for your child to sit, your choice. If I choose for my child to give up her seat - my choice.

Um I didn't flame you for letting your child sit on your lap. Your child is 18 months old and SHOULD sit on your lap ~ but from your post it sounds like you think my 4 year old should sit in my lap so you can have a seat.

I don't know about "health hazards", but I know that Sea World and other parks/zoos have in-park refillable mug programs that work quite successfully...

Yep, and even the Disney Waterparks have refillable mugs. When they sell it to you they put a UPC sticker on it for the day. You can bring it back next time you go and buy a new UPC sticker to get refills again.

I've never heard of anyone being upset if family members got a seat while one family member orders. I was surprised by that one!

Just for the record, since I didn't mention the table holding thing. It makes perfect sense to me. To the poster I quoted, you're right...it doesn't work for everyone.

I am just so agreeable tonight. I must need some sleep. :lovestruc

I have no problems with it either, until you are the family of 6 with 2 full heavy trays of food and drinks and can't find a table anywhere. Once we had to stand around a garbage can with the drink tray sitting on top to eat our meal because ......it was raining and people came in to just get out of the rain and sat at the tables without even going to get anything to eat or drink. It also isn't right when I am a paying customer and a family takes up a table to sit there and eat their peanut butter sandwiches they brought into the park with them...

I have no problems with it either, until you are the family of 6 with 2 full heavy trays of food and drinks and can't find a table anywhere. Once we had to stand around a garbage can with the drink tray sitting on top to eat our meal because ......it was raining and people came in to just get out of the rain and sat at the tables without even going to get anything to eat or drink. It also isn't right when I am a paying customer and a family takes up a table to sit there and eat their peanut butter sandwiches they brought into the park with them...

You would think if someone came in with 'outside' food and decided to use up space like that, taking away from paying costumers, that a CM or restaurant employee would ask them to leave.

I also don't like the "unwritten" rule that kids (over toddler age) can use the loo with either sex parent..... a 10 yr old boy in the ladies is not a good thing... especially near the water rides - picture our last trip - stripping off top to change it - as are loads of ladies - and in walks kid WITH FACE FUZZ!! !!! Don't know what the cut off age should be :confused3.

Tessa

You may not know the whole story either. My 15 year old brother is developmentally disabled and Dad isn't part of our lives. When he has to go to the bathroom, Mom or I take him to the ladies room. Yes, we may get some strange looks, but as soon as he speaks it becomes clear that he has a disability. Also, I've never been to the water parks so I'm not sure how the bathroom/changing rooms are set up, but at the local water park here, we have curtained off changing areas. He wouldn't see any ladies stripping their tops off anyway (not that it means anything to him as his mental capacity is equivalent to that of a 5 year old).
I think the no dancing on TTA rule is absolutely ridiculous.

l_445_443_1F70A5EA-4D80-4771-9772-4B387BDBA5E0.jpeg
:lmao:
I seriously think Disney needs to crack down on why people are renting wheelchairs, one too many times have I seen people getting in line first because they have a wheelchair, then seeing them later on running with the wheelchair--with nobody in it and everyone is walking brislkly or running. Crazy.

Do I think they should get front of the line passes? No. However, they may not need the ECV/wheelchair at all times. Last time we went, my friend's mom was a chaperone. She has had back surgery and is still unable to ride many rides (ie, Tower of Terror) and has trouble walking for long periods of time. On our last day she rented an ECV at Hollywood Studios and used it most of the day, but she did park it occasionally to walk into a nearby store or restaurant. When we went to Fantasmic that evening, my friends, my mom, friend's mom, and I got wheelchair seating for 14. We would have split up, but they had the seating available and it's in the last row, so we weren't getting "front of the line" privileges-more like back of the theater. :rotfl:

You would think if someone came in with 'outside' food and decided to use up space like that, taking away from paying costumers, that a CM or restaurant employee would ask them to leave.

If they saw it. We don't see many CM while at QS.

I totally don't get the rule with the land and no strollers

There is only one small elevator in that building.

Doesn't that kind of restrict parents to doing child swap only when the child is awake. I like the idea that they measure the kid upstairs or verify presence of a small child upstairs.

The DVC information is correct and you can find it in your packet and, I think, the yearly Perks pamplet they send out.

Back to original topic: there should be some type of drivers training and/or proven medical need for those bloody electric wheelchairs! I have seen SO many unattentive :rolleyes: drivers it is pathetic and I have also seen more than one kid get ran over:scared1:! THOSE are out of control!!!:sad2:

I have a medical condition that isn't visible. At WDW I use a scooter. I have had comments made to the effect "if you can't walk, you shouldn't be here," to "People like you, in scooters are ruining WDW."

I have also met MANY caring and considerate people, who are very kind.

I am VERY considerate and miss a LOT watching to make sure I don't run into anyone. I have hit people however. They are the people who play, "beat the scooter" and run in front of me so that I can NOT stop in time. Some people do not watch where they are going and have actually run into me as they were running to get to a ride/show or restaurant. I also had an incident where someone was walking, turned around, walking backward and despite my yelling and trying to get out of his way, he ended up in my lap!! There was a Mom with a double stroller in front of me at the time and my family was on my left side, standing in line for a popcorn cart.

In other wards, it is NOT always the scooter driver who is at fault, although I have seen some scooters and some strollers whose drivers feel a sense of entitlement and keep going no matter what/who they hit!!

So...if you see a scooter please make sure the driver sees you coming or trying to cross in front of them! If I ever hurt anyone I would feel awful.

As for those who feel I shouldn't go to WDW, I hope and pray for you that you are never affected by disease or disability.

Yep, and even the Disney Waterparks have refillable mugs. When they sell it to you they put a UPC sticker on it for the day. You can bring it back next time you go and buy a new UPC sticker to get refills again.

There would only be one reason for Disney NOT to do this. $$$ How many people have mugs and still buy drinks at the parks?

I have a medical condition that isn't visible. At WDW I use a scooter. I have had comments made to the effect "if you can't walk, you shouldn't be here," to "People like you, in scooters are ruining WDW."

I have also met MANY caring and considerate people, who are very kind.

I hope you keep in mind that it is often hot, humid and even though it's a vacation sometimes stressful. I'm not defending anyone for such thoughtless comments, just hope you try not to take them too personally, as difficult as that may be.

SunnieRN: First, I am also a RN and I KNOW there are many disabilities out there that are not visible; that is not the problem. I also did NOT say you or anyone else shouldn't be using the EVC or going to WDW (that is absurd)-I said there should be training classes or something before they are allowed out in the park. Sure, there are careless walkers at WDW; did not say there weren't. I am glad you are a careful driver but the bad ones are the problem.

Yay! I can express my opinion without getting flamed...hopefully. :-)

I agree that there should be a short 10 minute training course for anyone who needs to use an ECV. Poor DH was run over TWICE by someone who wasn't paying attention (and he wasn't playing 'beat the scooter' LOL). (This definitely does not apply to everyone on an ECV, I know there are many responsible drivers, but there are enough that don't pay attention to what's in front (or behind) them that there needs to be some type of quick training course before renting them.)

Little boys should not be allowed to urinate in public...

I don't think 4 is too old for a stroller in WDW. There is a LOT of walking, and if you're there all day even a four (or five or six) year old can get tired and need a break or a nap.

I take my 3 year old and get in line for Dumbo while DH parks the stroller with DS 1...DH then joins me in line with DD...I don't see this as 'line cutting'. However, I don't agree with everyone and their mother saying 'excuse me, pardon me...my party is up there' through the ENTIRE line. Parking a stroller is one thing, going to the bathroom, getting drinks...anything that's going to take longer than 30 seconds isn't nice.

I would LOVE the refillable mug to be used throughout WDW. It would save a lot at QS locations...and I would definitely be willing to pay more for it.

I wish WDW was a smoke free park. Even when smokers stay in the designated areas I can still smell it and sometimes have to walk through clouds of smoke. (I know this is probably controversial...just want to say it's nothing against smokers personally...we all have the freedom to choose whether or not we decide to take up smoking...I just don't like having to walk through it, and I especially don't like when my kids have to walk through it). And the designated areas are many times near bathrooms, so as much as I try to avoid the areas I still end up having to walk through or near them. Lots of bathroom breaks with a potty training toddler. :-)

I HATE it when one person holds up a table at a QS restaurant while I'm carrying a tray full of food with two hungry kids to feed and can't find a table. During our last trip this happened to us in Animal Kingdom. It was BLAZING hot and there was ONE person holding TWO tables in the shade with nothing but a backpack. No food, no one else around her. Even after seeing the four of us, young kids in tow, sweating and hot with trays of food she wouldn't budge. 10 minutes later we found a table in the direct sun and this woman still didn't have her party or her food. Point being...if you're going to save a table before you have your food, at least save it with everyone in your party except the one person who is ordering. Even better, I love the new idea of CM's finding you a table only AFTER you've gotten your food. Yay for them!

Okay I'm done. :-)

There is only one small elevator in that building.

Doesn't that kind of restrict parents to doing child swap only when the child is awake. I like the idea that they measure the kid upstairs or verify presence of a small child upstairs.

The 1 elevator in Land is also nearly impossible for just wheelchair users. I can't imagine how it would be manuverable w/ wheelchairs & strollers. We waited for at least 15 minutes each way with my mom (she was in a wheelchair) last December & we really didn't have that many people in front of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter