Is the USA going to get rid of DST (Daylight Savings Time)?

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Is the USA going to get rid of DST (Daylight Savings Time)? I thought last year Congress was going to do that? Did the bill just get stalled or was it dismissed completely?đź•›

Last edited:
I believe even if it passes in the House it just then allows for states to do as they please. Some states have already passed laws should the federal one pass, others plan to, others plan not to.

Yeah voters here in California approved a measure to stop changing time, but nothing has come of it.
If it happens I guess I'll have to find a new way to remember to change my smoke detector batteries.
Never understood the fuss about the time change, never been a big deal to me. But it didn't matter whether were were on Daylight Savings Time or not, I was always going to work in the dark.

The reality is that there are fewer daylight hours in Fall/Winter compared to the Summer. Moving the clock forward/backward an hour doesn't change that. I don't think we 'save' anything regardless of which choice is made. When it is dark outside, you will likely need more lights inside your home regardless of what time it is.

I prefer permanent DST (gives you the longer summer days), but I'm OK with permanent Standard Time, too. Just pick one.

But the very worst thing about DST is that it’s bad for your health. According to Stanley Coren, a sleep expert at the University of British Columbia, the number of traffic accidents and fatal industrial mishaps increase on the Monday after we spring forward. (Check out one of his studies here.) The reason, presumably, is because losing even a single hour of sleep over the weekend makes a lot of people a bit drowsier on what we might usefully call Black Monday. Unfortunately, there’s no compensating effect of a super-safe Monday as we go off DST and “fall back” in the autumn.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2005/04/unhappy-hour-john-j-miller/

Last edited:
The reality is that there are fewer daylight hours in Fall/Winter compared to the Summer. Moving the clock forward/backward an hour doesn't change that. I don't think we 'save' anything regardless of which choice is made. When it is dark outside, you will likely need more lights inside your home regardless of what time it is.
Yes but I’d rather have it dark in the morning than late afternoon. DST is a pain with the dog, she eats at 5 am and 5 pm, sometimes she’ll eat later in the morning if it’s dark, but she starts to get hangry around 4 pm and is pretty annoying as it is, never mind having to wait an extra hour.

You're right. There's really no "savings". It's just a question of whether you'd like light in the morning or in the evening during the winter.

For our non-US users... do other countries change times twice a year?

People used to work from sunrise to sunset. Would that work better for the sake of nature?
There has never been a time when everyone or even most people worked during all daylight hours. Some people did in the past. Some people do it now. The history of work is not uniform because it has always been different for different societies, different social groups, etc.

I certainly wouldn't want to work during all daylight hours year round. In winter, days are shorter, so there isn't going to be light after a long day at work. In summer, days are longer, so there are long lighted evenings, and it would be awful to be expected to work through those.

You're right. There's really no "savings". It's just a question of whether you'd like light in the morning or in the evening during the winter.

For our non-US users... do other countries change times twice a year?
According to Google, 70 countries change time twice a year.
Japan, China and India are the three biggest countries that do NOT change time.

I wish everyone would do the same thing. We just got back from a vacation where we kept going back and forth between Mountain Time and Arizona Mountain Time. Even our cell phones couldn't keep track of what time it was!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter