Is the USA going to get rid of DST (Daylight Savings Time)?

Central Time zone residents have always had to do a little math on that. The networks are set to Eastern and Pacific time. Of course then you have a few TV stations here that "shift" prime time an hour earlier. We have one here.
What would you do if we had a universal time zone and you controlled the tv schedule?

Most of the USA population is on the east coast.
Yup. Which is why the TV networks tend to leave the West Coast out in their thinking. Well, except NBC in the case of SNL, it now runs twice on the West Coast. Live at 830pm Pacific and then 11:30 pm

What would you do if we had a universal time zone and you controlled the tv schedule?
Probably give the local stations some flexibility in allowing them to time shift programming. Let them taylor when the best times are for programming based on their local viewing habits. It would would drive the networks nuts I used to worked at the CBS affiliate that runs prime time an hour early. No big deal. But it totally hosed the ratings for late night because we are the 20th market and the only market in the nation where Letterman did not run opposite Leno. That cost CBS a lot of money. So much so, they bought that station with the intent of shifting programming back to normal. Until they say how much money that station was making on their 10 pm news then they decided to stay with the time shift, prime time running an hour earlier. I left that station 17 years ago and they still are running prime time early. Still confuses me because on Sunday nights I like to watch 60 Minutes and I often remember to change the channel about 6:45 pm, and the show started at 6 pm here so I missed three-quarters of it.
Time is a funny thing. As of this school year California law pushed back the start of Junior High School and High School days because starting school at 8 am was shorting the kids on sleep. Everything starts at 830 am or later now

Probably give the local stations some flexibility in allowing them to time shift programming. Let them taylor when the best times are for programming based on their local viewing habits. It would would drive the networks nuts I used to worked at the CBS affiliate that runs prime time an hour early. No big deal. But it totally hosed the ratings for late night because we are the 20th market and the only market in the nation where Letterman did not run opposite Leno. That cost CBS a lot of money. So much so, they bought that station with the intent of shifting programming back to normal. Until they say how much money that station was making on their 10 pm news then they decided to stay with the time shift, prime time running an hour earlier. I left that station 17 years ago and they still are running prime time early. Still confuses me because on Sunday nights I like to watch 60 Minutes and I often remember to change the channel about 6:45 pm, and the show started at 6 pm here so I missed three-quarters of it.
Time is a funny thing. As of this school year California law pushed back the start of Junior High School and High School days because starting school at 8 am was shorting the kids on sleep. Everything starts at 830 am or later now
School (k-12) could go to a college like schedule?

Not at all. Just because the time is the same as the east doesn't mean they have to go to work at the exact same time as the East. The only difference is it's later on the clock.
Imagine if California changed to Eastern Time. Would they just be hosed and have to go to work at 8 (what used to be 5) or would they simply go from 11-7 (same exact time relative to sunlight they do now but just later on the clock?)
So kids stay up until midnight and adults turn in around 3-5am every morning?

Seems problematic. I guess people would get used to it but a dumb plan.

edited to add: I imagine China keeps everyone on the same time so they can work at the same time. Being on the same time but acting like you are on the same time as the sun would defeat the purpose since you wouldn’t be working at the same time.

Last edited:
Well until they do we are stuck with the two time a years messing with the clocks and screwing up our sleep.
I never understood the screwing up sleep thing. It's an hour. If you can't manage the time changing by just an hour on a weekend... Just seems so weird to me. Go to bed Saturday night an hour early if you have to be up. If you don't have to be up, you'll just wake up an hour later.

I think people just like to complain. They have no problem staying up an extra hour when the game goes into overtime, or when they want to finish a movie, but just physically changing your clock, they act like it's life or death.

Millions of people work shiftwork. They are up for 24 hours on the first night shift back. Many on the last night shift stay up all day so it's not wasted sleeping. But 1 hour? We can't handle that?

I never understood the screwing up sleep thing. It's an hour. If you can't manage the time changing by just an hour on a weekend... Just seems so weird to me. Go to bed Saturday night an hour early if you have to be up. If you don't have to be up, you'll just wake up an hour later.

I think people just like to complain. They have no problem staying up an extra hour when the game goes into overtime, or when they want to finish a movie, but just physically changing your clock, they act like it's life or death.

Millions of people work shiftwork. They are up for 24 hours on the first night shift back. Many on the last night shift stay up all day so it's not wasted sleeping. But 1 hour? We can't handle that?
Why do you like the time changing?

There have been medical studies saying it can hurt your health.

Not at all. Just because the time is the same as the east doesn't mean they have to go to work at the exact same time as the East. The only difference is it's later on the clock.
Imagine if California changed to Eastern Time. Would they just be hosed and have to go to work at 8 (what used to be 5) or would they simply go from 11-7 (same exact time relative to sunlight they do now but just later on the clock?)
I don't think people in California want it to get dark at 2pm in the Winter. There is a reason there are time zones.

Why do you like the time changing?
Where did I say I like the time changing?

I liked it when I was working night shift in the Spring. We worked 11 hours and got paid for 12. Hated it in the Fall, we worked 13 hours, got paid 13 but also had to work an extra hour.

Hate that we go back to standard time in winter. As I said, I won't see the sun all winter except for weekends. It's horrible. I still have leaves to clean up through Christmas. Can't do anything after work.

If most of mainland Europe can all have the same time zone, why can’t we?
For efficiency the entire globe should be on the same time.

No lost time communicating with off shore IT teams.

Some will just have to live their lives with light and dark at non traditional times.

For efficiency the entire globe should be on the same time.

No lost time communicating with off shore IT teams.

Some will just have to live their lives with light and dark at non traditional times.
Our bodies were designed to be up with the sun and down and down with darkness. Ask anybody that works night shift how screwed up they feel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter