Is the USA going to get rid of DST (Daylight Savings Time)?

I never understood the screwing up sleep thing. It's an hour. If you can't manage the time changing by just an hour on a weekend... Just seems so weird to me. Go to bed Saturday night an hour early if you have to be up. If you don't have to be up, you'll just wake up an hour later.
I am glad it doesn't effect you, it does me. Especially the fall back where we gain the hour. It just messes me up for about a week. Spring ahead and losing an hour only messes me up for a few days.

Most of the USA population is on the east coast.
No, that is not true. America's most populous state is California, followed by Texas. Illinois and Michigan are also among the most populous states. None of these are on the east coast. Not to mention the huge other areas of middle America and western America in other states that are less densely populated but have a big combined population. Add all of that up and you get a population bigger than the east coast.

A lot of people suffer with seasonal depression as it is. Our mental health problems are bad enough without expecting people to be functional during the dark hours and sleep during the day. That's not how humans are designed to function. I'm all for getting rid of Day light savings, but expecting the world to be on the same time is ridiculous.

I am glad it doesn't effect you, it does me. Especially the fall back where we gain the hour. It just messes me up for about a week. Spring ahead and losing an hour only messes me up for a few days.
It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. What is it that can possibly mess you up for an entire week? This is a heartfelt request, I really am intrigued by it as it really does make no sense to me.

I go to bed at 11 every weeknight. I am up until I'm tired on weekends (example, it's just after midnight now.) I'll go to bed at 1 and wake up at 7 Next week I'll just be going to bed at midnight and wake up at 6. Like it really really really makes no sense to me.

So kids stay up until midnight and adults turn in around 3-5am every morning?

Seems problematic. I guess people would get used to it but a dumb plan.

edited to add: I imagine China keeps everyone on the same time so they can work at the same time. Being on the same time but acting like you are on the same time as the sun would defeat the purpose since you wouldn’t be working at the same time.

1. China does not require everyone to wake up and go to work on Beijing time.

2. Nobody is actually planning to do that here. It was simply an example to illustrate how it would work, Kids in California would be going to bed at exactly the same time of the day they do now. It's just the clock would say midnight instead of 9 And school would start at exactly the same time it does now. It's just the clocks would say 11 instead of 8 or 10 instead of 7 as the case may be. Nobody would be hosed as you claimed. And it wouldn't take an iq of 160 to figure it out either. I think people would be smart enough to figure out it's just a clock change instead of a real one. But again, just an example, Nobody is actually planning it.

It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. What is it that can possibly mess you up for an entire week? This is a heartfelt request, I really am intrigued by it as it really does make no sense to me.

I go to bed at 11 every weeknight. I am up until I'm tired on weekends (example, it's just after midnight now.) I'll go to bed at 1 and wake up at 7 Next week I'll just be going to bed at midnight and wake up at 6. Like it really really really makes no sense to me.
It messes up people with pets. The pets don't make the change. If the clock is set back an hour, the pet wants his normal 6 am breakfast at 5. And pets are experts at making enough racket to wake their humans up to get it too.

Our bodies were designed to be up with the sun and down and down with darkness. Ask anybody that works night shift how screwed up they feel.
25 years of working 11 pm to 7 am. 13 years of working 3 am until 11:30 am. Never felt screwed up. But I made a point of setting aside 6 to 7 hours of sleep every day.

When I travel I'm fine going west to east even as far east as Europe. I'm messed up for at least a week when I get home. Losing hours doesn't affect me that much either.

It messes up people with pets. The pets don't make the change. If the clock is set back an hour, the pet wants his normal 6 am breakfast at 5. And pets are experts at making enough racket to wake their humans up to get it too.
No pet here, I can understand that though.

25 years of working 11 pm to 7 am. 13 years of working 3 am until 11:30 am. Never felt screwed up. But I made a point of setting aside 6 to 7 hours of sleep every day.
Of course there are some people that can manage it and thrive in it, but the majority of people can't. There are health risks that are associated with it.

Yeah, I think the post you replied to is confusing night shift with just rotating shift work. The fact that you get off at 7 am on Friday and have to switch your schedule around to be at work at 7 am on Monday is what everyone actually hates about night shift. Steady shift is an entirely different thing. Night shift stinks for many, but there's no messing up sleep when it's what you always do as opposed to rotating 3 shifts, or 2 on a 12 hour schedule.

With our 12 hour schedule, one weekend we worked FSS daylight, off on Monday, then you had to be ready to work night TWT. That was the tough part, which paid off in 2 weeks when you worked 4 daylight shifts and had 7 days off (technically 8 counting the hours) and back to night for 4 nights.

They aren't on the same time zone. London and Paris are on different times zone. Time Zones go west to east so it gets dark and light at normal times. As a westerner I don't want it getting dark at 3 pm.
Time zones go east to west The first time zone to start the day is next to the international date line. The next one is west of that, and so on and so on until you get to the last time zone that starts the day, next to the international date line on the other side.

I don't think people in California want it to get dark at 2pm in the Winter. There is a reason there are time zones.
(Sigh) It was just an example, to point out how it would work if we were like China, not a suggestion to actually do it. Furthermore, if California went to eastern time, it wouldn't get dark at 2pm If it normally gets dark at 5pm pacific in California in December, that would be 8 pm Eastern, not 2pm. You went the wrong way.

Yeah, I think the post you replied to is confusing night shift with just rotating shift work. The fact that you get off at 7 am on Friday and have to switch your schedule around to be at work at 7 am on Monday is what everyone actually hates about night shift. Steady shift is an entirely different thing. Night shift stinks for many, but there's no messing up sleep when it's what you always do as opposed to rotating 3 shifts, or 2 on a 12 hour schedule.

With our 12 hour schedule, one weekend we worked FSS daylight, off on Monday, then you had to be ready to work night TWT. That was the tough part, which paid off in 2 weeks when you worked 4 daylight shifts and had 7 days off (technically 8 counting the hours) and back to night for 4 nights.
Yeah, for a year in between my 25 years on 11 pm shift and 13 years on 3 am shift I was freelance so I worked what every hours I could get. We had 4 standard shifts. 9 am to 6 pm. 3 pm to 11:30 pm . 11 pm to 7 am and 3 am to 11:30 am and there were weeks where I worked all 4 shifts. It sucked.

Of course there are some people that can manage it and thrive in it, but the majority of people can't. There are health risks that are associated with it.
Like I said, setting aside a set number of hours of sleep was the key for me, oh, and the same hours every day. I had a co-worker have a mental health crisis because he never slept the same hours from day to day. He'd go to bed at 730 am one day, 5 pm the next day, he just never got rest.
Thankfully some people can manage it or there would be nobody working at hospitals, or out on police patrol or a lot of critical jobs overnight.

I will be extra tired for about a week. I’m not saying it has to make sense. I’m saying it is a reality. There is just something about that extra hour.

Is it Daylight “Saving” or “Savings” Time? The correct term is “Daylight Saving Time“ and not “Daylight Savings Time” (with an extra “s”), though many of us are guilty of saying it the wrong way. The technical explanation is that the word “saving” is singular because it acts as part of an adjective rather than a verb.

IMO, both SAVING and SAVINGS should be DUMPED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter