Is the USA going to get rid of DST (Daylight Savings Time)?

Outside the box thinking
That is why my employer pays me the big bucks. Of course it is quite costly for them to pay for all of my failures. They don't seem to mind though as failure is quite celebrated in this part of the country. If you haven't failed multiple times it means you aren't trying hard enough.

That map is wrong. Florida and Michigan's Upper Peninsula are NOT in Central time zone.
Correct the map is wrong, but there are parts of both Florida and the UP that are in the Central Time Zone. The panhandle of Florida and the counties of the UP that border WI are CST.

Time zones go east to west The first time zone to start the day is next to the international date line. The next one is west of that, and so on and so on until you get to the last time zone that starts the day, next to the international date line on the other side.

(Sigh) It was just an example, to point out how it would work if we were like China, not a suggestion to actually do it. Furthermore, if California went to eastern time, it wouldn't get dark at 2pm If it normally gets dark at 5pm pacific in California in December, that would be 8 pm Eastern, not 2pm. You went the wrong way.
Good to know.

If the complaint is kids going to school in the dark (they currently are now where we are... the bus shows up before 7am and it's still dark), then schools can decide to start later (whether 30 or 60), even if just part of the year. Problem solved. :crazy:
The original reason was for farmers. It was harder to get the cows in for milking in the dark and Standard time gives them an extra hour of daylight in the morning and by late afternoon most of the chores were done.

Last edited:
It's a myth that it had anything to do with farmers.
It was purely energy-conservation driven, and all the studies that have come out since then have shown there is no significant net energy savings. Everything that is "conserved" somewhere is "used" someplace else.
Benjamin Franklin invented it.

Another was for travel as well. Most people feel more comfortable traveling in daylight than moonlight.
DST was first enacted in 1918 during the 1st world war as a way to save on fuel consumption. Not sure why since we have the same amount of daylight no matter what we call it. It just falls at different times of the day. Early morning or later in the evening.

We are switching back to standard time next Sunday and that is when we have daylight an hour earlier and darkness also an hour earlier. I misspoke when I said that DST extended morning daylight. So the argument is should we have summertime daylight savings or just remain on standard time. I vote for standard time.

I prefer DST. Light is more useful in the evening than in the morning, IMO. Plus, if we were on standard time in the summer it would be getting light at about 4am, which is just ridiculous.
I do live towards the far eastern side of my timezone, so people towards the western end may not feel the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter