• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there a reason why people find the need to stand during Parades/Fireworks/Stage shows

I can tell you that it is 100 times harder to walk through people that are sitting vs standing. We were waiting for the MK fireworks and my DD had to go to the bathroom and trying to navigate people sitting all over the place caring my DD was horrible.
Also; I am also another person that cannot sit on the ground for more than 10 minutes.

I typically stand for fireworks and parades because I'm upper-middle aged, and sometimes at the end of a long day in the parks it's a pain getting up after I've sat down on the ground or pavement for a while. I'm 6'2" and broad shouldered, so it kind of stinks for people behind me. I try to be sensitive of that, but really I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do if I want to see the show.

I've been yelled at and heckled during shows and parades, even though I have been standing, holding my spot for 2 hours and people behind me saw me standing the whole time they feel the need to yell at me once the show starts, I try not to pay any mind but it is distracting to me and other people around me. I could try and tell them that I just can't sit on the ground, but during a show it's quite impossible to get the point across.
Why would I CHOOSE to stand if I could sit?
I hope people would have an open mind and understand that I am not standing to block their view on purpose, and maybe exercise some kindness.

Last edited:
We always used to sit for parades and fireworks at WDW. The first 5 or so rows of people would sit, then folks behind that would stand. The CMs had places roped off for crossing the streets or walking behind the crowds, but those in the front always sat- and usually let real little kids sneak in, to sit/squish in beside them, and people didn't even put their big strollers right up front; they'd stay in the row behind the sitters. Same with the fireworks- almost everyone sat, except those around the edges. First time I saw Wishes, DD sat in front of me and lounged back onto my chest; we both cried at the beauty of that show, but part of it was because we were sitting together, me holding on to her.
It was really nice.

We always used to sit for parades and fireworks at WDW. The first 5 or so rows of people would sit, then folks behind that would stand. The CMs had places roped off for crossing the streets or walking behind the crowds, but those in the front always sat- and usually let real little kids sneak in, to sit/squish in beside them, and people didn't even put their big strollers right up front; they'd stay in the row behind the sitters. Same with the fireworks- almost everyone sat, except those around the edges. First time I saw Wishes, DD sat in front of me and lounged back onto my chest; we both cried at the beauty of that show, but part of it was because we were sitting together, me holding on to her.
It was really nice.
That is a good middle ground. The time with your DD must have been wonderful🥰.

As a short person, I hate parade viewing and fireworks viewing because I can never see anything. I even have children who are taller then me trying to get in front of me and stand. I would love the option to sit and not have to worry about someone in front of me! In DL fantasmic viewing is on the ground, and if you do a dining package you get a small cushion to sit on. This was sooooo nice and controlled and no one tried to stand. The angle made it perfect for me to see everything, comfortably seated on the ground. I wish WDW would set up “ground seating only” sections allowing people who wish to sit.

Usually I avoid parade viewing or fireworks...cause for me it’s “back of the head in front of you” viewing.

Mrs. JohnneeO could have written this. We have largely avoided this issue during parades by staking out a spot on the curb early enough, and we are all able to sit and enjoy the parades. But what were previously only fireworks shows now transitioning to projection shows, viewing those shows at all has become increasingly difficult for my DW.

What was previously a good spot for listening to music and seeing fireworks has now become a good spot for only the tallest, and the rest are left to hoping they can see the buildings through gaps in the crowd.

In 2016, when JBJB debuted debuted at DHS we were excited to see it, but Mrs. JohnneeO did not enjoy it. In 2017, when the stage for the daytime Star Wars show in front of the Chinese Theater was made removable, that enabled us to grab a spot right behind a low concrete retaining wall with plants, and we were all able to enjoy the back-to-back Movie Magic/Star Wars projections shows.

But during our once-in-a lifetime visit to DLP this past summer, we didn't even bother with the projection show at the end of the night, since I would be the only one able to see most of it.

When MK had parades during the the day or night, most everyone stood.
Fireworks at MK most stand, except it seemed some in the hub area were sitting.
The Star Wars fireworks, most were sitting except those more in the back were standing.

Personally, I would rather stand. It also allows CMs to get more people into the same space.

I use a wheelchair so I'm always sitting for the fireworks and parades. Personally I could do without all these projection shows on the castle. They were cool at first but now the focus is on the castle more than it is the fireworks overhead. And everyone and their brother crams into the Castle Circle to see it. At first they had no wheelchair viewing for fireworks. Now it is located directly behind each fountain so you are looking at the castle through the fountains. It's adequate to see most of the projections but you cannot see anything on the stage. The new Halloween fireworks are a dud for me. I can barely see Jack Skellington and when I do he is this tiny little head between people. The projections are okay but the music is not very catchy to me. I prefer the old Halo wishes show. That was stunning wherever you were in the park.

People stand and all the shows regardless of who is behind them. I see this rude Behavior every night. I'll have people walk in front of me during the show and stop to watch.

I learned my lesson some 15 years ago when I arrive to see an afternoon Castle show 30 minutes early. All the other guests were sitting on the ground waiting. Since most of them had small children I thought I would be polite and parked my chair back off to the side so I couldn't possibly obstruct any one's View. But as soon as the show started they all Rose to their feet, put their kids on their shoulders and stood up tall right in front of me. I went from being able to see everything to seeing absolutely nothing. I walked off in disgust and vowed I would never wait for another Castle show. There's nothing the cast members can do about it. Even when they try guests ignore them or pretend they speak another language.

What bothers me more than standing is people holding phones over their heads. I don't want to watch your screen.

I understand holding a small child so they can see. I remember what it was like to be 3 at WDW, and how frustrating and boring it was to look at strangers' behinds, and all the adults were enjoying the show, and I felt left out, tired, and bored. Oh, hated that!

What I don't understand are people who bounce and/or wave things around (over their head) during the show. Everyone behind that person also have to keep moving to see. Sometimes I wish WDW didn't sell light toys, ya know?

From Disney's standpoint it is a safety issue, which is their number one priority over everything else.

I would prefer if everyone sat like they do in Tokyo, but I know it will never happen here. Maybe an unpopular opinion but in general the guests at Disney World are much less considerate of others and only care about their own experience so they won't take even a second of discomfort to help others around them.

As an example, a couple weeks ago at the Halloween parade, we got a front row spot in frontierland and sat down under the rope. Soon it was filled in next to us by other people that sat down. Then it was filled in behind us with people standing. As soon as it started everyone around us in the front row stood up and blocked the view of the people behind them, which led to many groans and those people trying to squeeze into the front row so they could see. It wasn't some heroic act that we decided to stay seated, just common courtesy that I wish more people would follow. It really feels like every man for himself at Disney, especially around show times.

Its the same with sporting events. At the Chiefs games people have an incredible view from the bottom but 75%+ stand the whole time. I actually saw a fight over that last year. A very pregnant women was sitting in front of me. Her husband asked everyone in the 5 rows in front of her not to stand as she could not stand/sit/stand sit. Well everyone but the women directly in front of her said sure. This woman flipped off the husband. It was quite a show watching security haul her off. For that reason and others I always try and sit and allow the people behind me to see.
And this is why I hate Arrowhead stadium. The fans are so rude. We've been to games in numerous stadiums and Arrowhead is the only one I've had been thrown at me, been threatened by drunk men bc I was cheering for my team, cursed at just walking into the stadium, had ppl tell my husband he better shut me up, etc. Very Classy. Also #gobroncos

When I was at the Oogie Boogie Bash at CA everyone sitting down didn't get up when the parade started, I asked the lady next to me and she said you don't have to. I have trouble sitting down, but, can manage it, getting up is the problem and I was so glad I didn't have to until after the parade and I could take my time.

I would prefer if everyone sat like they do in Tokyo, but I know it will never happen here. Maybe an unpopular opinion but in general the guests at Disney World are much less considerate of others and only care about their own experience so they won't take even a second of discomfort to help others around them.

As an example, a couple weeks ago at the Halloween parade, we got a front row spot in frontierland and sat down under the rope. Soon it was filled in next to us by other people that sat down. Then it was filled in behind us with people standing. As soon as it started everyone around us in the front row stood up and blocked the view of the people behind them, which led to many groans and those people trying to squeeze into the front row so they could see. It wasn't some heroic act that we decided to stay seated, just common courtesy that I wish more people would follow. It really feels like every man for himself at Disney, especially around show times.
It's not a matter of "a second of discomfort" for me at least, I get severe knee pain if i sit on flat surface for more than 5 minutes.
Which is why i make sure to grab a spot early.

And this is why I hate Arrowhead stadium. The fans are so rude. We've been to games in numerous stadiums and Arrowhead is the only one I've had been thrown at me, been threatened by drunk men bc I was cheering for my team, cursed at just walking into the stadium, had ppl tell my husband he better shut me up, etc. Very Classy. Also #gobroncos
There is a travel agency behind me and the Bronco fans have always been cool. But do not get me started on Raider Fans. The bravest people I have ever seen with that attitude and I one gentleman about 10 years ago who got hauled out for throwing batteries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter