Is this person on FB in charge of Fish Extender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad truth for me, too.

Someone needs to take the crown away from the self appointed FE Queen.

The rule thing is so weird to me. She insists people sign and track gifts- what’s she going to do if you don’t? She’s not even on the specific cruise so people don’t even need to worry about a slightly awkward conversation upon running into her.

It’s sad because what started as so fun has turned into a stressful expensive nightmare for inexperienced cruisers.

It’s sad because what started as so fun has turned into a stressful expensive nightmare for inexperienced cruisers.

That's it. It has turned into such a stressful time. Add that to the now expensive gift giving. It's turned into a Christmas expensive type gift and not the small inexpensive fun little thing. There were no expectations in the beginning. No one was trying to top the next persons gift. No tags on each gift. No thank you's expected. Just a fun, friendly inexpensive exchange.

Thanks for posting that group name, I had not even known about about it! It gives me a much needed alternative :)

Are you sure? I’ve always joined a FB group specific for my cruise through a page call Disney cruise meet Facebook groups. I’ve never even heard of this FB FE Page. Once I join a FB group, admins or other members set up FE groups specific to our group with no outside influence. I don’t participate in FE groups, but my daughter and granddaughters do when sail with us. They only do FE for 7 night cruises.

She. Is. Crazy. :crazy:

And doesn't ever mention that the FE originated on the DIS with a specific member.

I've read the history of it all, and she likes to take credit for it all, and control several fb FE pages.

I joined them originally to get inspiration for our FE gifts for 2017 Alaska cruise. But I've unfollowed since then.

She. Is. Crazy. :crazy:

And doesn't ever mention that the FE originated on the DIS with a specific member.

I've read the history of it all, and she likes to take credit for it all, and control several fb FE pages.

I joined them originally to get inspiration for our FE gifts for 2017 Alaska cruise. But I've unfollowed since then.
You get banned if you say it was the DIS. Her husband yelled at me for that very reason and said that she puts so much time and effort into her group and they can run it the way THEY want.

Yeesh. I haven't joined a FE specific fb group, just sailing-specific fb groups. If you can find your sailing-specific group, I'd highly recommend going that route instead. You will probably have to answer a question that proves you really are sailing on that cruise, but nothing insane. Mine have had FE set up, plus helpful talk about pre/post-stays, traveling to/from, ports, etc.

Watch out for the travel agent sponsored ones. You will be able to tell, though, based upon the feed in the group. I would have liked to do FE through disboards, but the reality is that the meet groups here are not well-populated anymore (and some times non-existent). btw, my understanding is disboards is where FE originated - not through any control-freak fb person!

That's exactly what we did. We are a sailing-specific FB group. There are three questions to prove that you are really sailing on our cruise. When someone doesn't answer or if their FB page is highly travel-consulting/cruise retail instead of a more personal FB it raises questions of why they are requesting an add. So far no one has matched this. Okay one person may be a travel agent but this is their family cruise, and one person never responded to anything for over a month and their FB page/profile was basically a blank page. This is my first time as an administrator (we all got to start somewhere) and appreciate the support and interest others are showing. But I don't want to mess up or be too controlling over others. We have a mixology moderator, but still need our Meet Up moderator and our FE moderator. And if we decide to try to do excursions together or table mate together, do we need moderators for those? I am assuming members can handle that between themselves. I am grateful for reading that pre/post stays, and traveling to/from, ports, etc. are options to include on the FB group page. We have an "Introduce Yourself" post right now, we will need to include those too.

Totally sure. She did it to one of our cruises a few years ago. Set up the FB page as if she was cruising too, maintained the FE group with strict rules. Apparently she does it all the time, you would never know the difference, and claims she is "helping". When we asked her to "give back" the FE to those actually cruising she refused...

That's not the crazy one. I'm sure I know the crazy person's page though.

Luckily I've never been on a cruise where she has been in the FB group, but I definitely have read more than one person say that the admin of the other page insists on being in the meet thread even though she's not on the cruise.

As pp said, crazy admin is terribly fond of deleting posts that suggest she is wrong or not entirely correct. I also have her group on mute.

There's more than one?!?!
That's not the crazy one. I'm sure I know the crazy person's page though.

Luckily I've never been on a cruise where she has been in the FB group, but I definitely have read more than one person say that the admin of the other page insists on being in the meet thread even though she's not on the cruise.

As pp said, crazy admin is terribly fond of deleting posts that suggest she is wrong or not entirely correct. I also have her group on mute.

Well I’m glad to hear that others know of the person that I’m talking about! I was starting to feel crazy! And no, she does not mention on her page that FE was created from this website. That’s why we assumed that it was her concept (she certainly does make it seem that way!) But like I said, I visited this site before and could have sworn that it started on here because on here is where I first read about it. Thank you for those who clarified!

While I’m excited about FE, I agree with those that say it’s more about the friendships that are forged and connections made along the way. This is so true! So far everyone in our group (the ones that belong there and are sailing with us) have been lovely and I’m excited about meeting everyone. It’s never been about rules or gifts, at least not for me! That being said, I still think it’s a shame that this woman has taking such a great idea and capitalized on it, making it her own :( She’s very controlling and doesn’t seem to have her heart in it for the right reasons. With such a huge platform to educate people on FE, you would think it would be a more fun and helpful community. Instead it’s just so rigid with rules. It’s a shame.

That's exactly what we did. We are a sailing-specific FB group. There are three questions to prove that you are really sailing on our cruise. When someone doesn't answer or if their FB page is highly travel-consulting/cruise retail instead of a more personal FB it raises questions of why they are requesting an add. So far no one has matched this. Okay one person may be a travel agent but this is their family cruise, and one person never responded to anything for over a month and their FB page/profile was basically a blank page. This is my first time as an administrator (we all got to start somewhere) and appreciate the support and interest others are showing. But I don't want to mess up or be too controlling over others. We have a mixology moderator, but still need our Meet Up moderator and our FE moderator. And if we decide to try to do excursions together or table mate together, do we need moderators for those? I am assuming members can handle that between themselves. I am grateful for reading that pre/post stays, and traveling to/from, ports, etc. are options to include on the FB group page. We have an "Introduce Yourself" post right now, we will need to include those too.
You can run your FB group any way you want to, as well as your FE. Our group the last couple of cruises has a couple of moderators but they do not organize everything. We have people volunteer who want to do a certain activity and they coordinate with the moderator to make sure it isn't duplicated and then run with it. There are no hard and fast rules.
I'll also say that we have been fortunate to have the same primary moderator/FE organizer on our last cruise and our upcoming one. He does a great job; very few rules but encouraging and helps build the excitement and anticipation. He splits the FE into groups of 10 and lets you pick how many groups you want to be a part of. It takes a lot of work, but he seems to enjoy it and does a great job.

I agree. I was on my Disney Meets thread and noticed that the FE was taken to FB. Since I am not on FB, this is the 1st time that we have not participated on FE. I remember when it was on the Disboards and someone just started it and was fun.

On our 2015 Baltic cruise, our FE was so large that we had 3 groups set up on Disboards Meets. Everyone was given different things and enjoyed the variety with no minimum cost. It's just a fun activity.

When my children were younger, I created pre-cruise activities for the children just to get to know one another. If anyone on the June 4th, 2018, cruise would like to do a separate FE, please let me know and would be happy to create one. Again, FEs are suppose to be fun.

This made me smile! :) I was the one who organized that FE exchange! :goodvibes

That's her. Her main cruise page is called Junkies. She also has an FE page and a selling page. I don't think it would be possible for her to have a job too.

Ah ok! Thank you for the clarification! I have not seen her husband on the FE ideas page so I assumed you all were talking about someone different! Didn’t know about the Junkies Page LOL. Maybe he only makes appearances on there?

You can run your FB group any way you want to, as well as your FE. Our group the last couple of cruises has a couple of moderators but they do not organize everything. We have people volunteer who want to do a certain activity and they coordinate with the moderator to make sure it isn't duplicated and then run with it. There are no hard and fast rules.
I'll also say that we have been fortunate to have the same primary moderator/FE organizer on our last cruise and our upcoming one. He does a great job; very few rules but encouraging and helps build the excitement and anticipation. He splits the FE into groups of 10 and lets you pick how many groups you want to be a part of. It takes a lot of work, but he seems to enjoy it and does a great job.

I agree with you! For my group I suppose I am the “admin” but really I just organize everyone’s information, helped split people into groups, and do what I can to help others. Actually, many in my group are seasoned FE participants and cruisers and they shoulder a lot of the work and have helped me! There really are no rules in our group other than just “don’t be a jerk” but I can’t imagine policing what people are posting and talking about to such a rigid degree. To me, these groups should be more about helping than moderating.

This made me smile! :) I was the one who organized that FE exchange! :goodvibes
@Deb Thank you, it was such a fun cruise and couldn't believe how many things I used from the FE. I love the kleenex holders with the union jack someone made. I appreciated it, because I can't sew. Then, we got candy. We loved it, because we were craving it. Then, we got magnets someone made.

Everyone seemed super happy. Thank you Deb for organizing that.

I was in a cruise group with that
If this isn’t the right place to ask this, then I apologize.

I first read about FE on here ages ago and now that I’m finally going on a Disney cruise I wanted to join a group and participate. There wasn’t yet a group for my sailing so I decided to start one. I googled around and found an FE group on Facebook. I joined and was told in order to form a group for my sailing I would have to talk with the owner/admin if the page, get approved etc. It was kind of an ordeal? But whatever. The group was established and we went about our merry way.

But something that my group and I have noticed (we have discussed this at great length) is how controlling this particular Admin/Page Owner is. The FE Page is huge and has a lot of members. At first I liked it because it was awesome to see so many people posting their gifts; it was a great page to look at to get ideas. But every other post is shut down by this particular Admin. She limits what people can talk about. She has tried to interfere with our group and how it is run. She seems to be a “rule follower”, which is fine, but I’m not so okay with it if I feel like it is interfering with my own group.

I became friends with another person who is in another cruise date group and she said that some time ago, this Admin was in her group because she was sailing with them. She said it was horrible having them in the group because they were controlling everything, deleting posts that even mentioned “alcohol” etc. Yikes.

What my group and I were wondering: can we ask to be unlinked from this page? Is this Admin in charge of FE? Did she invent the concept? Do we have to abide by all of her rules? We all agree that we just don’t want to deal with her anymore but we aren’t sure if we have to go through her in order to participate.

Thanks!
If I was you I would remove her from your group. If you can't remove her start a new group and invite all your current members except her.

I was in a cruise group for an upcoming cruise with the person you are talking about. They are unbelievable, I had never been in such a controlling group before. They, (the main admin and her minions), were deleting posts and removing people from the group without any explanation. I was banned and blocked from the group. Myself and another banned member started a new cruise FB group page. It was difficult to get started because the original was so large, but now our group is almost the same size, they have upset so many people on the original group. They wouldn't let people plan cruise events, and you can't make a new post/ ask a question, all posts won't show up until the admins approve the post, it is ridiculous. I will never join another cruise group where she/they are an admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter