It's a New TCD Trip Report- June 2010 at the Fort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
for this absorbing distraction from the work I'm supposed to be doing this afternoon. Instead I'm daydreaming I'm back at FW. Love the fireworks photos, particularly, and truly wish I were there watching them.

Have to chime in with my theory of how you got the photos of River Country. I was sure there was a connection between them and the cute dog you showed in your early post -- strap on a remote controlled camera, lower him carefully over the fence and let him run around?

Looking forward to the rest of the report.

FW610235.jpg

Is that a power cord running over the tables?

Yep, according to TCD's captions, it's an electric cord. ;) ;)

Notice how the licensed electricians strung the extension cord across the water here through the ingenious use of tables:

FW610191.jpg

Definitely the work of professionals.

TCD

I have to report that I have become completely addicted to and obsessed with the camping boards. I check at least five times a day to look for updates from TCD and/or the Groucho girls. I can't get enough of this.

And I haven't even been to FW. Yet.

Well, thats not entirely true. We pulled up to the gate in 2008 because I was curious.

And upon watching that video I was sure that I must have been to RC as a child. So I called my mom and she confirmed that, yes, we went there in the 70s. I was probably 8 or so, and I only remembered after seeing the video.

I really need to camp at the fort. It is the only way. :goodvibes

Oh, and I know that we are supposed to move on from the blue tanks. But I know what they are. Alien pods. Disney is working in cooperation with Alien intelligence. It is so obvious. I suspected it before, but the swin flippers confirmed it. Don't you people watch Scooby-Doo?

You went to River Country as a kid?

Then you and your mom need to read this thread:

The Best Thread of 2010

Oh, and I love the Scooby Doo comment. Heck yes, I used to watch Scooby Doo. But, then I realized that Shaggy is nothing but a hippie, and I had to stop.

But, Scooby Doo and aliens comments got me to thinking. What would the Scobby Doo gang do when faced with a mystery? They would examine all of the clues. So, I went back to look at what we have here.

And then it dawned on me- those petroglyphs are evidence of an ancient alien visit.

Let me explain . . .

This petroglyph, which I thought was someone walking on log discs, is probably really a giant alien emerging from some blue pod tanks:

rockdrawings3.jpg

And, that symbol next to him represents an atomic bomb. So, DaveInTN was right about the possible purpose of this experiment.

And, then we have this petroglyph:

rockdrawings4.jpg

Doesn't the one on the lower left look like a turtle-person with a space helmet giving something to a human? And that giant mouse? Must be the alien emperor.

Yeah, I think this is all from aliens.

FW610235.jpg

Is that a power cord running over the tables?

Why, yes Todd. I believe that it is. Good catch.

By the way, here is a zoom of the photo:

tableandcord.jpg

Whoever did this used duct tape just like TCD.

Didn't go in? Duct tape, ya, we're buying that.
What's that on the blue tanks?

bluetanks.jpg

That's a good one!

But watch it. I don't need any trouble with the Fort po-po.

for this absorbing distraction from the work I'm supposed to be doing this afternoon. Instead I'm daydreaming I'm back at FW. Love the fireworks photos, particularly, and truly wish I were there watching them.

Have to chime in with my theory of how you got the photos of River Country. I was sure there was a connection between them and the cute dog you showed in your early post -- strap on a remote controlled camera, lower him carefully over the fence and let him run around?

Looking forward to the rest of the report.

No, don't bring Rocky into this. Dogs aren't allowed in the Settlement area. I did once use a trained armadillo. But, I went with the new technology for this project.

Yep, according to TCD's captions, it's an electric cord. ;) ;)

DisCamper doesn't read the stinking captions.

That's how I can get away with making comments about him without him knowing about it.

;)

FW610199.jpg

TCD Did you get a pair of souvenir flipper?

Now, how would I have done that? I wasn't even there.

TCD

Now it is time to solve a mystery that has bothered TCD for a long, long time.

So, on early Saturday morning, I headed from River Country all the way up to the Reception Outpost.

There was something I needed to look for here.

Something I had seen in some recently posted photos.

But something that I could not quite place.

It is a rock.

Yes, a rock.

A pretty big rock.

And, I found it.

And, I solved another mystery.

First, here we are at the Reception Outpost. I think it wasn't even 8 am yet, and the sun had barely risen. I like the lighting in these photos:

FW610236.jpg

FW610237.jpg

I walked around to the side of the building to look for my rock.

I got these photos of the empty check-in lanes. I love them when they're empty:

FW610239.jpg

FW610243.jpg

FW610246.jpg

FW610247.jpg

And, then I found my rock.

And took these photos:

FW610238.jpg

FW610240.jpg

FW610241.jpg

FW610242.jpg

FW610245.jpg

Yes, I just posted five photos of a rock.

But guess what? I even took one from a bit further back later in the day just for good measure:

FW610465.jpg

I know what you are thinking.

Old TCD has finally lost it.

Six photos of a rock?

What the Fort?

Let me explain.

There used to be an elaborate display of totem poles and a cool sign somewhere at the front of the Fort. There are photos of these posted on another thread:

For the longest time, I tried to figure out where these had been.

But, I couldn't.

Then I noticed the rock in each of KeepSwimmingDory's photos.

Do you see it?

The rock is still there!

Now I know.

And so do you.

Another mystery solved by TCD.

So, I guess I haven't lost it.

Yet.

TCD

TCD I guess next time im tring to get pics of RC. Don’t go at peek dinner time looking like I’m on a Africa safari with a Nikon, but need to wearing a Hawaiian shirt with my Canon in my pocket and look like I’m lost from Castaway Cay with a remote control dog with a camera on its back hidden in the bushes

WOWIE, WOW WOW!!!!!! YOU DEF ROCK TCD! AND SO DOES YOUR ROCK! SO GLAD THE MYSTERY OF THE LOCATION OF THE FW SIGN AND TOTEM POLES HAS FINALLY BE LAID TO REST! GREAT INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING! (I told you your eye for detail is unparalleled!) I am also happy that the hippies have not been forgotten! :hippie:

I go away for one little weekend and get 8 pages behind! That's just not right! :sad2:

Ok, seatbelts are properly fastened and I am ready for takeoff.

And let me just say, that news about the change in resort launch dock SU*KS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet someone named Chauncy complained about them having to walk 20 steps further than those campground folks. I am officially boycotting Disney over this!

Darn that Chauncy. KFK is not happy, .....not happy!

no, both boats go to the new location...I have been on both boats at the new location

I also dislike in addition to TCD.:headache:

Also, TCD did not mention that ALL boats now have the puny whistle that the little boats have. I thank my very observant (and rain man like) son for noticing. When my son was pestering the boat captain about this, it was explained that campers complained that the whistles were too loud on the larger vessels and were keeping them up, so now they all have the same whistles. The problem is now the captains can't hear each other on the larger boats. I cry bad form. This is from someone who has been raised around larger boats. They have to hear each other, especially at night.

What are they gonna do if someone complains about the booming of the fireworks or the music from the water pageant? I'm not a pyrotechnician, but I don't believe fireworks have a silent mode. People can be soooo stooooopid!

And remember, it wasn't that long ago when FW folks didn't even have a direct boat to the MK- we had to share with WL- so the trips used to always be longer.

TCD
Yes, I remember those days.

As ususal, fantastic, detailed, leaving no stone unturned. Great work TR Hero! You need some sort of supersuit or something! But, since I got no sash or crown for achieving Queen Hero status, I guess you will have to go without too! :lmao: Just kidding. Hope there's more report on the way!

I am still keeping up with the TR:surfweb:. I am enjoying all the RC pictures, I never had the privlidge of enjoying it. I was raised a DL girl :earsgirl:and only went to DW :smickey:once when I was little. But since I am grown and living much closer to DW I have converted although I would love to visit DL again one day. It's funny my DH and I have been camping at he Fort for years now and I never knew about RC before I found the DISboards. I remember kind of exploring behind MBYBBQ area years ago and being curious but they definetly watch you around there:eek: and I am not about to get banned from WDW:rotfl2: By the way my DH flies those gas RC planes and they make great cameras for them:rolleyes1

Another great report, TCD! You are really getting me in the mood for my trip in 10 days!!!

I remember kind of exploring behind MBYBBQ area years ago and being curious but they definetly watch you around there:eek:

Yes, they definitely do. Which is why if you find yourself wandering around that area in your GC and "suddenly" there are picnic tables on either side of you, you should not, I repeat NOT put the cart in reverse so it makes that loud "HEY I'M BACKING UP" noise.

Instead you should send your trusty side kick out to carefully shift a few things out of your way so you can stealthily make your way out in a forward motion.... shhhhhhhh :rolleyes1

Fantastic as usual TCD! I know you had a telescoping broom handle that you were using, right? You would never go where your not supposed to LOL!!!

CIMG8293.jpg
[/IMG]

This survived the whole 2 day journey down and the busted as I was trying to hang it up - hence the binder clip holding the ear in place!

I said I've had enough of the blue tanks for a while, so here's another photo of the white tanks. They are just off to the side of the blue tanks, and do not appear to be hooked up to receive water from the lake:

FW610178.jpg

TCD

They are making moonshine, this is the south you know.....

And I'm always around, even if at the Holiday Inn.

The swim fins are probably left over from when they used to rent scuba gear you could wear in the pool at RC. Now they won't even let you wear a dive mask in the pool at FW.

Every time I see River Country in this condition it makes me sad...it was such a charming place. I still hold out a tiny bit of hope that they will save the pool and play areas for Ft Wilderness guests. (They've already ruined the view at the Meadows; must they ruin the view from Bay Lake too?) The Fort could use another swim/snack bar area - at least in the summer months.

The tanks and swim fins are creepy! Maybe Disney is working on a remake of "The Creature from the Black Lagoon"!?:scared:

Absolutely awesome. Loving the TR, TCD! :thumbsup2

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

TCD, you rock.

Cut it out, Dave.

You know that it is KFK's mom who rocks.

I am just OK.

But I do concur that my rock rocks.

TCD I guess next time im tring to get pics of RC. Don’t go at peek dinner time looking like I’m on a Africa safari with a Nikon, but need to wearing a Hawaiian shirt with my Canon in my pocket and look like I’m lost from Castaway Cay with a remote control dog with a camera on its back hidden in the bushes

Or better yet, get yourself some khaki pants, and a shirt with a collar, and a Disney name tag. And, maybe a hardhat and a clipboard.

I'm just sayin'

WOWIE, WOW WOW!!!!!! YOU DEF ROCK TCD! AND SO DOES YOUR ROCK! SO GLAD THE MYSTERY OF THE LOCATION OF THE FW SIGN AND TOTEM POLES HAS FINALLY BE LAID TO REST! GREAT INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING! (I told you your eye for detail is unparalleled!) I am also happy that the hippies have not been forgotten! :hippie:

Hope there's more report on the way!

Thanks, KFK.

And, yes, there is more to come.

It's been a little heavy on the RC so far.

But, I'm about to start balancing things out.

We are probably just past the half-way point on this TR.

I am still keeping up with the TR.

By the way my DH flies those gas RC planes and they make great cameras for them.

A gas RC plane?

With a camera?

Oh, what I could do if I got my paws on one of those!

Another great report, TCD! You are really getting me in the mood for my trip in 10 days!!!

Only ten more days?

Great!

Have fun.

Hopefully this TR will be done before you go.

Yes, they definitely do. Which is why if you find yourself wandering around that area in your GC and "suddenly" there are picnic tables on either side of you, you should not, I repeat NOT put the cart in reverse so it makes that loud "HEY I'M BACKING UP" noise.

Instead you should send your trusty side kick out to carefully shift a few things out of your way so you can stealthily make your way out in a forward motion.... shhhhhhhh :rolleyes1

Geeez, Monique, you need to work on your spy skills a bit, don't you?

Who is the sidekick?

Does he have fur and walk on all fours?

Or is it one of the dogs?

Fantastic as usual TCD! I know you had a telescoping broom handle that you were using, right? You would never go where your not supposed to LOL!!!

A telescoping broom handle?

Is there really such a thing?

Now you tell me.

Such a thing could greatly reduce my duct tape expense.

I'll have to look into this before my next visit.

CIMG8293.jpg
[/IMG]

This survived the whole 2 day journey down and the busted as I was trying to hang it up - hence the binder clip holding the ear in place!

Hey- I saw your sign!

That is very creative.

What are those rhinestones on there?

I never.

The binder clip is a great touch.

And I also saw ya'll packing up your Add-A-Room the day you left.

I should have at least said hello.

Sorry about that.

They are making moonshine, this is the south you know.....

And I'm always around, even if at the Holiday Inn.

You might be right about that. Next time I go, I'll have to figure out how to hitch up a ladle to my broomstick so I can scoop out some of the product for a sample.

The swim fins are probably left over from when they used to rent scuba gear you could wear in the pool at RC. Now they won't even let you wear a dive mask in the pool at FW.

Is that right?

They used to let people SCUBA in the pool?

I never knew that!

That solves the flipper mystery.

Thanks for that tidbit.

Every time I see River Country in this condition it makes me sad...it was such a charming place. I still hold out a tiny bit of hope that they will save the pool and play areas for Ft Wilderness guests. (They've already ruined the view at the Meadows; must they ruin the view from Bay Lake too?) The Fort could use another swim/snack bar area - at least in the summer months.

Boy that would be nice. I do think something is going to happen in this area, but the activity seems to be concentrated around the beach area, and where the boardwalk was removed in the past few months. There are survey stakes around here, but not in the area of the slides and swimming area. The area where we see activity isn't big enough for a resort or anything like that. It probably is big enough for a loop of campsites. Whatever they are contemplating, I am sure it will be something that will generate revenue. It seems like DVC has become Disney's preferred money making machine of late. So, I really would not be surprised if the plan is to do something DVC related here.

TCD

What are they gonna do if someone complains about the booming of the fireworks or the music from the water pageant? I'm not a pyrotechnician, but I don't believe fireworks have a silent mode. People can be soooo stooooopid!

You can't fix stupid, but Disney sure tries.:confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter