June Vacation - Any one else worried

Thank you for posting. I hope you won’t mind a few questions, we have Aulani booked mid -July. I want to make sure I understand, are you saying that tourist attractions may be partially open but there will still be a 14-day quarantine for tourists in June and July? I can’t imagine many would go, regardless if things are open, if you have to spend the entire time in your hotel room? When do you anticipate the quarantine being lifted. When I spoke with Aulani they were sure they would be open June 1st.🤷‍♀️
yes, it is possible that some of the tourist attractions may be partially open (with retrictions/etc.)...but its not a guarantee...the most likely to re-open in some capacity would be pearl harbor as thats more of a military decision, and would be more subject to federal orders. this is more to do with giving residents a few more activities and to test protocols and restrictions (similar to florida's proposed phasing for theme park reopening)

aulani (and any other hotel thats currently closed) can re-open at any time they want. hotels/motels were on the essential business list, so regardless of the visitor quarantine, they could open tomorrow if they wanted to. many hotels/motels never closed at all (tho many did make that choice).

there are still some that choose to come every day...the reasons for doing so can vary greatly from person to person...could be that they were unable to obtain a refund, and without it wouldn't ever be able to come to hawaii again...some may look at the infection rates in hawaii and think its safe (but compare infection numbers to number of ventilators and its a very different story)...others may not believe there is any danger at all...or it could be as simple as "anything is better than being stuck in my house/appt."

I would not anticipate any meaningful changes to the visitor quarantine being made until late may. much of it comes down to whats going to happen as several states try to ease lockdowns...as well as results from the numerous trials for treatments (vaccines are still many many months away from even having meaningful human trial results)...if it gets too close to the fall, and numbers haven't subsided elsewhere...I don't see many states not quickly pivoting back to stricter lockdowns to avoid what many health officials are now warning people about (possible flu and covid outbreaks happening at the same time.)

I spoke to Disney yesterday and they are hopeful that they will be open June 1. I cannot believe that they will open if there is still the 14 day quarantine.

yes, it is possible that some of the tourist attractions may be partially open (with retrictions/etc.)...but its not a guarantee...the most likely to re-open in some capacity would be pearl harbor as thats more of a military decision, and would be more subject to federal orders. this is more to do with giving residents a few more activities and to test protocols and restrictions (similar to florida's proposed phasing for theme park reopening)

aulani (and any other hotel thats currently closed) can re-open at any time they want. hotels/motels were on the essential business list, so regardless of the visitor quarantine, they could open tomorrow if they wanted to. many hotels/motels never closed at all (tho many did make that choice).

there are still some that choose to come every day...the reasons for doing so can vary greatly from person to person...could be that they were unable to obtain a refund, and without it wouldn't ever be able to come to hawaii again...some may look at the infection rates in hawaii and think its safe (but compare infection numbers to number of ventilators and its a very different story)...others may not believe there is any danger at all...or it could be as simple as "anything is better than being stuck in my house/appt."

I would not anticipate any meaningful changes to the visitor quarantine being made until late may. much of it comes down to whats going to happen as several states try to ease lockdowns...as well as results from the numerous trials for treatments (vaccines are still many many months away from even having meaningful human trial results)...if it gets too close to the fall, and numbers haven't subsided elsewhere...I don't see many states not quickly pivoting back to stricter lockdowns to avoid what many health officials are now warning people about (possible flu and covid outbreaks happening at the same time.)
[/
That makes sense, thank you. I agree that things could heat up again come fall/winter and make travel impossible again. That’s part of why we are trying to get a trip in. I hope for the locals things start to open up. Maybe I’m giving them too much credit but I can’t imagine Aulani would open up to mainlanders if there is still a quarantine in place. Do you think the large hotels have some inside info on what the Governor’s plan is concerning tourism?

hard to say who knows what when it comes to the governors plans.

the mayors tend to have a track record of giving quite a bit more advance notice of their plans (mid april announcement from the mayor of oahu, vs late april announcement from the governor for the may extensions)...but now that mayors aren't allowed to do much without the governors approval...they may not be able to give as much notice (or the notice would be "pending governor approval").

there tends to be almost no indication given as to what (if anything) the governor may do before he does it..and it tends to be a decision thats made very late as an example:

cat 5 hurricane...mayor of oahu cancels "all events" that weekend almost a week in advance...governor...cancels the 1 event running in the convention center (that the city couldn't cancel) the morning of.

I spoke with our conference company & they said that ours June 14-18th is still a go at this point. We are flying AA & they just sent an email that all passengers will need to wear a mask. We still 5-6 weeks before departure 🤞🤞🤞

hard to say who knows what when it comes to the governors plans.

the mayors tend to have a track record of giving quite a bit more advance notice of their plans (mid april announcement from the mayor of oahu, vs late april announcement from the governor for the may extensions)...but now that mayors aren't allowed to do much without the governors approval...they may not be able to give as much notice (or the notice would be "pending governor approval").

there tends to be almost no indication given as to what (if anything) the governor may do before he does it..and it tends to be a decision thats made very late as an example:

cat 5 hurricane...mayor of oahu cancels "all events" that weekend almost a week in advance...governor...cancels the 1 event running in the convention center (that the city couldn't cancel) the morning of.
That must be very frustrating as a local and most certainly for all the business owners who are trying to figure out how to save their livelihoods! Thank you for taking the time to explain things. 😊

I spoke with our conference company & they said that ours June 14-18th is still a go at this point. We are flying AA & they just sent an email that all passengers will need to wear a mask. We still 5-6 weeks before departure 🤞🤞🤞
Is it being held at Aulani? I desperately would love for the trip to be cancelled. I doubt any of the experiences (Pearl Harbor, Hanauma Bay, Diamond Head, restaurants, Luaus) will be open due to social distancing rules that will still be in effect. I havent even begun to reserve and plan.

Today's Honolulu Star Advertiser had an article about how even after Hawaii opens for kamaaina, it still won't be business as usual for tourism. https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020...ightened-quarantine-as-visitor-numbers-climb/

The 14 day quarantine will still be in effect until there is a way to keep tourists and kamaaina safe. The state is waiting for state Attorney General Clare Connors to tell them if it’s possible for the state to require quarantining passengers to stay at guarded quarantine sites and or submit to enhanced monitoring that could include ankle bracelets, GPS tracking and Facebook recognition. Personally, I don't see many people wanting to visit Hawaii and being treated like convicts.

I've heard from another source that in order to leave the airport you're going to have to show that you have at least a 14 day hotel reservation.

All vacation rentals are illegal for the time being, so I've also heard that they might start shuttling visitors to their hotel to guarantee they're staying there and not leaving.

As far as timing goes, you might want to watch and see if inter island travel restrictions are lifted - they have 14 day quarantine restrictions as well. If that is successful, outside visitors might slowly be allowed in.

It definitely won't be business as usual this year.

Today's Honolulu Star Advertiser had an article about how even after Hawaii opens for kamaaina, it still won't be business as usual for tourism. https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020...ightened-quarantine-as-visitor-numbers-climb/

The 14 day quarantine will still be in effect until there is a way to keep tourists and kamaaina safe. The state is waiting for state Attorney General Clare Connors to tell them if it’s possible for the state to require quarantining passengers to stay at guarded quarantine sites and or submit to enhanced monitoring that could include ankle bracelets, GPS tracking and Facebook recognition. Personally, I don't see many people wanting to visit Hawaii and being treated like convicts.

I've heard from another source that in order to leave the airport you're going to have to show that you have at least a 14 day hotel reservation.

All vacation rentals are illegal for the time being, so I've also heard that they might start shuttling visitors to their hotel to guarantee they're staying there and not leaving.

As far as timing goes, you might want to watch and see if inter island travel restrictions are lifted - they have 14 day quarantine restrictions as well. If that is successful, outside visitors might slowly be allowed in.

I really hope flights cancel on their own to release those of us who will have a vacation in quarantine or a subpar vacation experience. Personally if I were a Hawaiian resident, I would not want my East coast high rate of infection coming to my island. I don't even think our restrictions here in Philadelphia PA will be lifted until June as it is

Is that even legal, to ankle monitor someone that is not a criminal? That is going too far. There are other ways to handle things. A big problem is the airlines, specifically Hawaiian airlines who is refusing to cancel flights and refund people their money. They need to start putting some pressure on them to do the right thing.

Is that even legal, to ankle monitor someone that is not a criminal? That is going too far. There are other ways to handle things. A big problem is the airlines, specifically Hawaiian airlines who is refusing to cancel flights and refund people their money. They need to start putting some pressure on them to do the right thing.

There's actually a class action complaint filed against Hawaiian Airlines for that very reason.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/...ion-complaint-filed-against-hawaiian-airlines
It's certainly not a good look for them. And I love Hawaiian Air, have flown them every time I went to Hawaii and have a reservation with them to fly in September should everything be open up. Never had a problem with that airline but that is alarming that some passengers were having trouble getting their money refunded instead of travel vouchers that might be worthless to them.

There's actually a class action complaint filed against Hawaiian Airlines for that very reason.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/...ion-complaint-filed-against-hawaiian-airlines
It's certainly not a good look for them. And I love Hawaiian Air, have flown them every time I went to Hawaii and have a reservation with them to fly in September should everything be open up. Never had a problem with that airline but that is alarming that some passengers were having trouble getting their money refunded instead of travel vouchers that might be worthless to them.

I didn't realize HA isn't refunding cash for those tickets that THEY canceled? So that is in clear violation of their own words. I wonder if they are trying to issue vouchers in those cases or just not giving the cash back? My hope has been that they cancel my June flights..but not if they are giving nothing. I understand the cash issues the airlines are having but they can't say they are giving cash back and decide to not do it...They have $5,000 of my money and $1,000 in interisland fare

I just read the Star article someone posted above - kind of ridiculous that they are imposing a 14 day quarantine when the ability to test people rapidly is available and at a reasonable cost - contract it out, point-of-care (or entry in this case) nasal swab testing, paid for by those coming to the to islands. Negative test - welcome. Positive test - Quarantine. It's far cheaper that a quarantine - to those who say that a swab wouldn't catch everyone (such as those very recently infected), I'll point out that a small percentage of people would develop symptoms after a fourteen day quarantine as well.... unless of course those who are promoting a quarantine have an agenda that's not COVID related.

Might be their Bean Counters informed them that refunds would sink them. Here in Canada they only owe us vouchers but I dont mind and just booked a flight for November. I feel good supporting the airline but also understand how easy it is to "support them" vs receiving vouchers i could never use.

I just read the Star article someone posted above - kind of ridiculous that they are imposing a 14 day quarantine when the ability to test people rapidly is available and at a reasonable cost - contract it out, point-of-care (or entry in this case) nasal swab testing, paid for by those coming to the to islands. Negative test - welcome. Positive test - Quarantine. It's far cheaper that a quarantine - to those who say that a swab wouldn't catch everyone (such as those very recently infected), I'll point out that a small percentage of people would develop symptoms after a fourteen day quarantine as well.... unless of course those who are promoting a quarantine have an agenda that's not COVID related.
This 14 day test puts a little light in this dark tunnel of vacation planning for a trip to Aulani next November.

So you are saying that they should get tested at the departing airport?

So you are saying that they should get tested at the departing airport?

I don't think that would be feasible since flights come from all over, so testing would have to take place in Hawaii - it's still better than quarantining everyone who arrives to the State since statistically, the vast majority will be negative. We're currently scheduled for Christmas break for ten days, so unless things change, it's gonna be a no-go for us.

I don't think that would be feasible since flights come from all over, so testing would have to take place in Hawaii - it's still better than quarantining everyone who arrives to the State since statistically, the vast majority will be negative. We're currently scheduled for Christmas break for ten days, so unless things change, it's gonna be a no-go for us.
Why are you assuming it wont happen for you?

Why are you assuming it wont happen for you?

Nobody is assuming anything man, chill out. I actually think we'll likely have another series of shutdowns around that time anyways due to another wave of infections - I'm just crossing my fingers that this doesn't turn out to be the case. In terms of me testing positive - it's certainly a possibility - I'm a physician and have been around/cared for many positive patients. We have rapid testing in the ED and can get a result fairly quickly - wouldn't you rather hang out for an hour and then be released as opposed to chilling out in quarantine for two weeks? We have the ability to do this - the fact that it's not even being discussed as an option is kinda crazy.

For me..I wouldn't want to go on the flight at all. Only because what does a family do when 1 tests positive? You now would have to stay in Hawaii 2 weeks in a hotel room..no flight home. Not worth it. The longer this goes on the longer I am finding herd immunity to be the only solution

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter