Just Back ... Thoughts and Reviews, Days 1 & 2

dixiedizfan

DIS Veteran
December 31 - January 2
Four of us, two adults and two teens, were on the dining plan, and started off with an OOP dinner at Mara, just to check out our resort foodcourt. It was fine, nothing spectacular. I found the menu selections to be far greater at the moderate and value resorts than here. DH tried the African stew in a bread bowl, and it was ... interesting. The spicing used to flavor it was very sweet, which gave it a strange flavor. I said that if this was indicative of how the food would taste at Boma, then I'd pass. DS got the bacon-double cheeseburger, DD got the turkey wrap, and I can't remember what I had.

On New Years Day we had ADRs for noon at Liberty Tree Tavern. Lunch at LTT has become a tradition for us, and it didn't disappoint. We were seated on time, waited on promptly, and the food was delicious. Our appetizers included the house salad with buttermilk ranch dressing, clam chowder, and soup of the day. DH and I both got the pot roast, which is fork-tender and juicy, atop a bed of mashed potatoes and topped with fried onion straws. Yum! DS had a huge burger, and DD got the Tri-Corner (roast beef) sandwich. We were too full for dessert, so we shared a butter-griddled pound cake, which was wonderful. Everything we had here was fabulous, as always. For supper that night we hopped over to AK and had a most delicious meal at Flame Tree BBQ. BBQ ribs, Smoked half chicken, and BBQ pork sandwich. All scrumptious.

On Tuesday the 2nd we were at AK, and opted for Flame Tree again, as it was so good the night before. Same good stuff! For dinner we had ADRs at Kona Cafe. I chose Kona because of all the great reviews I'd read, and had to see for myself if it was that great. It was good, but not outstanding.
For appetizers we had the potstickers, Kona chowder, sticky wings, and Kona salad. All very good. We were also served a round loaf of bread with a bland-tasting dipping oil. The bread and oil had to be removed from our too-small table to make room for the main course, which is served on very large plates. Entrees included the Char-Grilled Filet, Beef Teriyaki, and two orders of Shrimp and Scallops. After we began eating, almost all of us said at the same time, "Canada is better." Meaning the food at Le Cellier. And it was! My filet was fine and the shrimp and scallops were good, but DH was less than thrilled with the teriyaki steak, saying it wasn't very flavorful. Desserts included the torte (very dry, served plain with no ice cream), Apple Brown Betty (good), and white chocolate cheesecake (okay). Kona is a very busy restaurant and very noisy, and as I've mentioned before, our round table was too small for the four of us. We probably won't return here again.

More to come on Days 3 and 4 which include Cosmic Rays, Crystal Palace, Chefs de France and Le Cellier.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter