Just Finished 'Dream It! Do It!' What To Read Next?

Dizzytime

DIS Veteran
Hope this is ok. I posted this (below) originally on the Unplugged Podcast forum but no replies yet, so I thought I'd post a copy here since this forum (probably?) gets more traffic. Thanks, and again, if there is a better forum to post my question please feel free to move it. :goodvibes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, sure enjoyed reading 'Dream It! Do It!' by Marty Sklar. As far as Disney related books, I had only read a few guide-type books containing mostly info I already knew, but learning about the history from the perspective of someone who had been there from the beginning was truly fascinating and enjoyable. I'm sure a LOT of you enjoyed this book, too.

I would love to read more books related to the history of Disney, especially those written from the first-hand perspective of someone that lived it, and was wondering if anyone may have some recommendations for me. Even other Disney related books, like 'guide' books that you really found unusually helpful please feel free to share that too, but I think most of us know enough to write our own guide books already. And with guide books, especially with so many on the book store shelves, it's hard to find a real insightful one. How many 'hidden secrets' are there still? hah!

Mods, please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate place. I only chose this forum because I first learned of the Martin Sklar book on the podcast, in addition to this forum, and couldn't think of a better place to post it.

Thanks in advance everyone, and hope you all are having a magical weekend!

:goodvibes

That book is on my wish list along with "It's kind of a cute story" by Rolly Crump.

Some books I already have are:
The Disneyland Encyclopedia by Chris Stoddard
Spinning Disney's World by Charles Ridgway
Designing Disney by John Hench
The Haunted Mansion by Jason Surrel
Pirates of the Carribbean by Jason Surrel
Disneyland Then, Now, and Forever- bought it at Disneyland and it has great pictures of DLR when it first opened.
Bob Gurr has a book out too but I don't have it. I did meet him last summer and walked around DL with him :-)goodvibes) and he had a lot of great stories to tell so I'm sure his book is good too.

Those are just some of my books. I have more, but those seem like the ones mostly dealing with the history.

I like most of the Jim Korkis books. I am re-reading Who's Afraid of the Song of the South and other Forbidden Disney Stories. I have South of the Border with Disney which I am slowly making my way through. I've also read Walt Disney: An American Original by Bob Thomas. He also wrote a biography about Roy Disney (Walt's brother). I want to read Remembering Roy E. Disney by David Bossert.

There are probably a ton more, but that's what comes to mind right this minute.

Very nice suggestions, and seems there is no shortage of good reading about Disney and it's history.
Thanks to all that replied. Thanks a lot!

of Imagineering books for all four WDW parks. They are relatively short and look at why certain things were done in the parks. The MK book was my favorite. I think there is on for Disneyland and DCA may or may not be out yet.

Rolly Crump has a book "It's Kind of a Cute Story" He covers a lot of Disney and other projects outside of Disney.

Thanks Hootch!

And Cyrano, I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even know about this forum. My eyes usually stop looking down after they hit 'Disney Restaurants', so thanks for moving this over and expanding my Disboards world!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter