• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just off the Dream...a few interesting points

That would be a little problematic since you can't connect to the app when you're off the ship.
I feel confident they could make them downloadable so that they could be accessed without internet.

Why is the pirate menu so unpopular? Is it because it is Caribbean inspired? We love Caribbean food, and I thought it looked good...
It is an old menu, and the options are not well-executed. It suffers from the comparison with the options added more recently. The executive chef on Dream, Eric, mentioned to me that they will change some of the options soon. Maybe they’ll move to a standard menu like on the other ships.

It is an old menu, and the options are not well-executed. It suffers from the comparison with the options added more recently. The executive chef on Dream, Eric, mentioned to me that they will change some of the options soon. Maybe they’ll move to a standard menu like on the other ships.

Thanks. We are on the Dream in June... so we will see what is offered then. Thanks!

I'm calling it: I wouldn't be surprised to see table cloths and all-you-can-use towels disappear within the next two years.

Why is the pirate menu so unpopular? Is it because it is Caribbean inspired? We love Caribbean food, and I thought it looked good...

It’s good imo but you have to know what to get and what not to get which may take you a few times. I know not to get the ribs. It was so bad o couldn’t eat it. I don’t like to waste food especially meat but I couldn’t eat it. I tried I really did but it was terrible. Like eating rubber.

We were on the Fantasy last week (just got home). No paper navigators for us either. I picked one up every morning (had to explain that I didn't go on vacation to stare at my phone all day to several different guest services folks). By day 3, I started getting the paper Navigator in my room. I assume that our steward noticed that I was picking one up each morning and decided to save me the effort. I asked about why they had made the change and Guest Services simply said they were trying to get people to use the app. No one mentioned going green. That explanation would ring hollow to me because they still print out the port maps showing you how to get to the shops that have paid their fee to DCL. If saving trees were the concern, then surely the maps should be digital too.

It is interesting to me that you still got lotion on the Dream. We didn't get any the whole week, so I assumed DCL has decided to save money by not giving people lotion anymore. I would up having to buy some in the gift shop.
I agree. When I go on a cruise I use a watch and the paper Navigator. Enjoy the view not the screen.

We got off the 4 day Dream cruise last week. A follow up survey from Disney asked a lot of questions about the Navigator-more than about anything else.

Also, I agree that it is far more wasteful to print all the pictures in Shutters and then throw them away. We bought one out of about 3 dozen.

I really hope they stop printing all the photos in Shutters in anticipation of guests maybe buying them. When I found out they were doing that it made me avoid having my picture taken since that's such a massive waste when I'm unlikely to buy more than one of them. Would have been nice to have more to choose from but I cringe at the thought of so many photos going into a landfill from every cruise. I know cruises in general are wasteful, but there are obvious ways to cut down on the garbage.

Like not printing navigators for every room, tbh. I'm perfectly happy to use the app (I found the paper navigators inconvenient to carry around with me, so I never used them beyond glancing them over the night I got them), and the one navigator I've actually held onto as a souvenir (MDAS) I could have picked up at guest services if I really wanted it. I honestly don't care whether Disney's doing it for money; it's still reducing waste one way or another.

I get the jerk chicken.
Don’t know if they still have it the coconut banana appetizer is really good. Pot stickers

Just don’t get the ribs

Saddly the coconut banana is gone....We loved the private menu till they changed it and removed the banana.

My Daughter and I just disembarked from the Dream yesterday. We were located on deck 5 forward and our stateroom still had individual size shampoo, conditioner, lotion and bar soap. They no longer deliver the daily Navigator to your room each evening. If you would like one they have them set out a guest services. I am not sure if this is new, but we last sailed on the Fantasy 2 months ago and still received it. I understand they want people to use the app, but personally I like having a paper Navigator. Gift shops had made the switch to purchasing bags for your purchase. I was also surprised to see that Shutters still prints all of your photographs on the Dream. This was not the case on the Fantasy and I don't recall them printing them on the Magic when we last sailed in 2017.

We were on the Dream in Feb and asked about the unlimited photo package as we were buying one on the Fantasy later this year. The girl from Shutters told me the Dream is the only ship that still prints since the other ships have been updated. She also told me they were going to be getting an update soon and would stop printing all the photos too.

I'm surprised about the Navigator. For one thing, it's a big advertising thing with all the crap about where to shop in the tourist pen and all that. And while I really have been someone who suggests people get the app because it has so much on it, it doesn't have everything. I remember not being able to find the drink of the day, not that I care because I just order it anyway, but it was a "what did we just drink" question. And there was something else that I couldn't find on the app and I was annoyed at myself because I'd just packed up the Navigator and put it into our folder 'o papers and had to go drag it out.

I've always wondered about the pirate menu too. It looks very good, but we seem to be very adept at picking itineraries that don't feature it.

It’s good imo but you have to know what to get and what not to get which may take you a few times. I know not to get the ribs. It was so bad o couldn’t eat it. I don’t like to waste food especially meat but I couldn’t eat it. I tried I really did but it was terrible. Like eating rubber.
During our first cruise, my son and I ate gluten-free, and our dining server told me to preorder a special-made lunch for Castaway Cay. We're Texans, so I ordered ribs and beans.

:sad2: The ribs were like big chunks of rubber, and the beans were unseasoned kidney beans. I almost cried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter