Keep an eye on the weather if you are traveling soon.....

anniemae

Either she is eating a delicious
Couple of storms forming that could develop in to hurricanes and threaten FL. This is the busiest time for hurricanes in the Atlantic it seems..........

I have been keeping an eye on them... We will arrive Aug. 24th-Sept. 2nd. Looking at the 7 day forcast has 100% rain for our first 4 days there. I know Florida get afternoon thunderstorms but this looks like and all day event. We shall see.

Couple of storms forming that could develop in to hurricanes and threaten FL. This is the busiest time for hurricanes in the Atlantic it seems..........

This isn't even peak hurricane season. Sept-Oct is peak time.

I have been keeping an eye on them... We will arrive Aug. 24th-Sept. 2nd. Looking at the 7 day forcast has 100% rain for our first 4 days there. I know Florida get afternoon thunderstorms but this looks like and all day event. We shall see.

This will hopefully change. I remember looking at forecasts for trips in the past around this time and seeing the same thing... If you're using Weather Channel/Weatherbug/Weather Underground, go over to WESH2 and see their forecasts, along with the other local news stations.

Going next week also... but on weather.com just showing Scattered Thunderstorms on the 10 day forecast.

The Harvey storm looks like it's heading towards Yucatan.. the Invest 92-L is the most concerning, but isn't even a tropical storm at this point and is heading towards the Gulf of Mexico on possible path. Guess they are checking tomorrow if it is picking up or not.

Nothing to be TOO worried about at this point I think.

Given that in our last trip in Oct 2016 (Columbus Day), the parks closed for Hurricane Matthew, it will probably be our luck that we will have a hurricane or storm this Labor Day when we are there!

I had read that hurricane season is June - November, sharply peaking in late Aug-Sept. It seems the storms get VERY active mid to late Aug. The last few times we travelled in Aug, hurricanes threatened FL. Last Aug, Orlando was hit and I believe they closed the parks for the day. The summer before, one was predicted to directly hit Orlando and they declared a state of emergency, then it dissipated.

This will hopefully change. I remember looking at forecasts for trips in the past around this time and seeing the same thing... If you're using Weather Channel/Weatherbug/Weather Underground, go over to WESH2 and see their forecasts, along with the other local news stations.
Thank you Mousehockey. I will check that weather station out.

Just follow the local tv stations weather reporting. Www.wesh.com (NBC). Www.local6.com (CBS) or www.wftv.com (Abc). All will keep you in the loop weather wise. I've Lived in Central Florida for 62 years and I watch the weather on these stations before heading to WDW. I know last year they closed areas of WDW for Hurricane Matthew in October, but I don't remember anything in August or September last year that caused much weather worry & I have an outdoor business so I would have been ready to batten everything down. Right now we are getting our every afternoon rainstorms lasting for at least 1/2 hour. Where I live it rained for almost 2 hours tonight though.

Just follow the local tv stations weather reporting. Www.wesh.com (NBC). Www.local6.com (CBS) or www.wftv.com (Abc). All will keep you in the loop weather wise. I've Lived in Central Florida for 62 years and I watch the weather on these stations before heading to WDW. I know last year they closed areas of WDW for Hurricane Matthew in October, but I don't remember anything in August or September last year that caused much weather worry & I have an outdoor business so I would have been ready to batten everything down. Right now we are getting our every afternoon rainstorms lasting for at least 1/2 hour. Where I live it rained for almost 2 hours tonight though.

I think it was hurricane Hermine maybe??

Last edited:
I think it was hurricane Hermine maybe?? I remember people posting about the parks being closed and there were many many photos of people trying to get food. Disney was selling sandwich boxes and it was hours in line to get a box. The pictures of the food court were crazy. Parks were closed the day the hurricane hit.

Hermine hit the Big Bend area of Florida. We got a rain from it - just tried to google Hermine but I remember Matthew caused WDW to evacuate FW to hotel rooms, etc. I really don't remember it being that big a deal. At least Nothing like Matthew thank goodness. We are still working on repairs in our area. I'll go back to Google again .....

Hermine hit the Big Bend area of Florida. We got a rain from it - just tried to google Hermine but I remember Matthew caused WDW to evacuate FW to hotel rooms, etc. I really don't remember it being that big a deal. At least Nothing like Matthew thank goodness. We are still working on repairs in our area. I'll go back to Google again .....

Ah, I may be thinking of Mathew that closed the parks.

I think it was hurricane Hermine maybe?? I remember people posting about the parks being closed and there were many many photos of people trying to get food. Disney was selling sandwich boxes and it was hours in line to get a box. The pictures of the food court were crazy. Parks were closed the day the hurricane hit.

It was actually hurricane Matthew in October when they closed. While hurricane season runs from June to Nov the peak time for Florida is Sept & Oct - this does not mean that a hurricane can't hit in Aug or earlier but these are the peak months.

Besides Matthew, Walt Disney World has closed its gates three times in the past, all for hurricanes: Sept. 15, 1999, for Hurricane Floyd; Sept. 4 and 5, 1999, for Hurricane Frances and Sept. 26, 2004, for Hurricane Jeanne.

I had read that hurricane season is June - November, sharply peaking in late Aug-Sept. It seems the storms get VERY active mid to late Aug. The last few times we travelled in Aug, hurricanes threatened FL. Last Aug, Orlando was hit and I believe they closed the parks for the day. The summer before, one was predicted to directly hit Orlando and they declared a state of emergency, then it dissipated.

Disney closed the parks because of the potential threat of Matthew, but Orlando was not "hit".

I am about 100% certain it will not rain 100% of the time for 4 days. You may as well use a magic 8 ball to check the forecast this far out

Disney closed the parks because of the potential threat of Matthew, but Orlando was not "hit".
Yep, was there. It was a big old nada

Last edited:

Peak is August 15th through September 30th, with "peak day" being September 10th.

I am about 100% certain it will not rain 100% of the time for 4 days. You may as well use a magic 8 ball to check the forecast this far out

Yep, was there. It was a big old nada

Yes, exactly.

It's hurricane season, it happens. But that doesn't mean that as soon as a tropical wave leaves the coast of Africa you need to worry. If one forms and gets within a few hundred miles of the FL coastline, then start paying attention. Otherwise, don't even sweat it.

I saw on the news this morning that Hurricane Harvey is expected to hit the gulf region along Texas. Has anyone heard if this could have residual effects over Florida? I heard something briefly about rains impacting South Florida from another system, but haven't had a chance to keep up on the goings on. We arrive Saturday. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter