Keep an eye on the weather if you are traveling soon.....

I saw on the news this morning that Hurricane Harvey is expected to hit the gulf region along Texas. Has anyone heard if this could have residual effects over Florida? I heard something briefly about rains impacting South Florida from another system, but haven't had a chance to keep up on the goings on. We arrive Saturday. Thanks!
Harvey is not impacting FL, wrong side of the Gulf. TX on the other hand, is in for a soaking. My cousin just said they are prepping for 20" of rain. She's in Beaumont.

I saw on the news this morning that Hurricane Harvey is expected to hit the gulf region along Texas. Has anyone heard if this could have residual effects over Florida? I heard something briefly about rains impacting South Florida from another system, but haven't had a chance to keep up on the goings on. We arrive Saturday. Thanks!

We arrive Saturday as well and always keep an eye on the hurricane centre the few days leading up to departure. Harvey is not going to impact Florida... Texas and Louisiana on the other hand are in for a major soaking. Invest 92 is the one sitting over southern FL and Bahamas but only has a 10% chance of developing into anything, so really nothing to worry about there other than it will be a rainmaker over the weekend in Florida.

This is actually our first year in about 3 that there hasn't been a tropical storm approaching Florida right at our departure time, so it's kind of nice not to be stressing over it this year.

Harvey is not impacting FL, wrong side of the Gulf. TX on the other hand, is in for a soaking. My cousin just said they are prepping for 20" of rain. She's in Beaumont.

OMG! Prayers and best wishes to your cousin and everyone else in the affected areas. How awful!

If the reports get iffy pre-trip and the storm changes path, I would certainly say WDW is the safest place in Florida to be during a hurricane.

This isn't even peak hurricane season. Sept-Oct is peak time.

This will hopefully change. I remember looking at forecasts for trips in the past around this time and seeing the same thing... If you're using Weather Channel/Weatherbug/Weather Underground, go over to WESH2 and see their forecasts, along with the other local news stations.

August 20-Oct 10 is peak season in Florida for anyone who wants to know. The hurricane season runs July-Nov.

My dad is south of San Antonio. Hoping it doesn't stall for days.

I don't worry about being at WDW during a hurricane, I wouldn't love it, but I'd deal. What I worry about is arriving or departing during it! :scared1:

We leave from Austin, Tx tomorrow to drive to WDW...Going to have to drive out of the way a bit to avoid the evacuations and heavy rain. It's supposed to hit late Friday into Saturday morning. Hopefully once we get to Beaumont the traffic will be a bit better.

Given that in our last trip in Oct 2016 (Columbus Day), the parks closed for Hurricane Matthew, it will probably be our luck that we will have a hurricane or storm this Labor Day when we are there!

Us too! We ended up having to drive down last year (couldn't reschedule the flight - booked out many days) two days after our trip was supposed to start. This year we're flying down 8/31 - fingers crossed for clear skies!!

Just follow the local tv stations weather reporting. Www.wesh.com (NBC). Www.local6.com (CBS) or www.wftv.com (Abc). All will keep you in the loop weather wise. I've Lived in Central Florida for 62 years and I watch the weather on these stations before heading to WDW. I know last year they closed areas of WDW for Hurricane Matthew in October, but I don't remember anything in August or September last year that caused much weather worry & I have an outdoor business so I would have been ready to batten everything down. Right now we are getting our every afternoon rainstorms lasting for at least 1/2 hour. Where I live it rained for almost 2 hours tonight though.

The National Weather Service Hurricane Center (a great source for non-sensationalized storm info) doesn't indicate any likelihood of this storm going anywhere near Florida.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/152721.shtml?cone#contents

Thanks for the links to better (and saner) weather resources. I won't start checking until a few days before we travel, but these will be helpful!

You're inland #1. The buildings are all well built. They have great safety protocols (you'll never be stuck out in the storm.... they basically go into lockdown) and you have a decent chance of not losing power without above ground lines. I've road out a couple hurricanes at WDW...

Im in the sw corner of LA and we are prepping for a soaking too. With evac plans in place. This is a crazy storm!

We are in deep South Texas. American Airlines allowed us to rebook our flights from Sat. Morning to Fri. Morning, today, free of charge due to Harvey. Our schools just started this week and are all closed today, stores are out of supplies and cities are providing sandbags. We were able to get an extra night at Pop tonight and it's my birthday today! Hoping there's not too much rain at Disney this week, but anything beats days of really bad weather here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter