Keep an eye on the weather if you are traveling soon.....

We leave on Sunday, flying down from NY. So far the forecast just looks like regular FL afternoon thunderstorms for next week, so hopefully it stays that way.

Im in the sw corner of LA and we are prepping for a soaking too. With evac plans in place. This is a crazy storm!

I have family in Lake Charles. They are headed east to stay with us for a planned weekend in Baton Rouge. I hope it doesn't follow them!

Stay safe!

Dd was there last fall for the hurricane that did nothing other than drop the usual rain on WDW....much angst about that one, and nothing happened.
However, back in 2004, we had Charley! Aug 13...we arrived into MCO on one of the last flights they let in. The parks closed early that day, maybe around 2-3ish. Some parks opened late on the 14th. Charley flew right overhead around 8pm! It was something to witness!
I never felt unsafe at Disney....it was amazing to watch how they handled things. Having been there for Charley is the one reason I didn't panic when dd was there last fall for the little hurricane!
Disney does such a good job that we couldn't understand all the news reports of damage....not until we left WDW 6 days later!!! Man, the Orlando area was a mess!!!

We leave from Austin, Tx tomorrow to drive to WDW...Going to have to drive out of the way a bit to avoid the evacuations and heavy rain. It's supposed to hit late Friday into Saturday morning. Hopefully once we get to Beaumont the traffic will be a bit better.

You will be ahead of most of the weather, but imagine the evacuations will be in high gear, so lots of traffic on I-10. Beaumont area is a 'bear' just for normal rush!!

Deep south LA girl here, and from the conditions present for Harvey (warmer gulf area waters than usual, calm winds aloft, etc) it looks to be a bad one in terms of rain and storm surge. Galveston had better take heed! Several counties under mandatory evac - also saying not to expect last min. help if you don't heed it!

We have family in Beaumont and friends in Corpus and those areas flood badly, also Houston area and Austin. A stall that's predicted could mean some catastrophic situations. Predictions up to 35" rain plus storm surge! :eek:

Hope y'all have a safe trip, and your home area stays safe!
:goodvibes

I had read that hurricane season is June - November, sharply peaking in late Aug-Sept. It seems the storms get VERY active mid to late Aug. The last few times we travelled in Aug, hurricanes threatened FL. Last Aug, Orlando was hit and I believe they closed the parks for the day. The summer before, one was predicted to directly hit Orlando and they declared a state of emergency, then it dissipated.
The one last year was October, and my husband's flight got canceled. The one in 2015 was in late August, and out of caution we changed my husband's flight and he stayed two extra days with the kids. So if anyone is traveling on Sept 8, I apologize in advance - yet again he will be flying without me so a storm is sure to appear.

We are in deep South Texas. American Airlines allowed us to rebook our flights from Sat. Morning to Fri. Morning, today, free of charge due to Harvey. Our schools just started this week and are all closed today, stores are out of supplies and cities are providing sandbags. We were able to get an extra night at Pop tonight and it's my birthday today! Hoping there's not too much rain at Disney this week, but anything beats days of really bad weather here!
Blessings of Protection and Peace on you and those you love! ...and happy birthday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter