King Charles Coronation

Oh you all have me thinking how I can pull off a Coronation Celebration. My side of family is all nieces, my side has English/Irish on both my Mom & Dad side with Great Grandma born in England (I knew her). Both my BIL and SIL come from Irish stock so I started doodling ideas last night.

Taking notes of all your food ideas, looking as some decorations including a backdrop with those props on sticks for photos, thinking of putting GreatMom's photo and our Family Crests out and front, crowns for everyone ... and now I just remembered I have this china set which would be fun for tea sandwiches.

Can we substitute Long Island Tea?

326941363_698167151948102_2490726852911572394_n.jpg

For those of you in the London area, I will be there around the 1st of May, just days before all of the jubilee stuff. What should I expect for crowds then? London is hopping on a good day, I can't imagine so close to a huge event like this.
The 1st May is also a bank holiday here in the UK, so it may well be fairly busy as folks have time off work. I think people will start camping out for the coronation from maybe the Wednesday onwards. I'm sure the main crowds will start arriving from the Thursday.

The trifle is also a very traditional dessert. I may buy one from Marks and Spencer ( a bit more upmarket food shop as mentioned up thread)

As an aside, it's pronounced try - full ( not trife rhyming with wife like paging Mr morrow said during a Rose and Crown vlog!
If you've ever had the trifle at the GF, its very good and pretty traditional of what we'd have here. Screenshot_20230123-172155_Chrome.jpg

As to caster sugar, the equivalent, often known as "superfine granulated sugar" is available in the US, but usually only at more high-end grocery stores that carry exotic baking ingredients, and it's expensive here. I just make it in my food processor: put regular granulated sugar in the bowl with the steel blade, cover, and pulse grind it for about 30 seconds.

If you want to put a Scottish spin on your celebrations, the simplest way is to buy some McVitie's digestives (available at World Market stores, or sometimes in the intl. foods aisle of your local supermarket chain. (You can also buy McVities on Amazon, but they cost the earth there; about $16 for a regular sleeve of them. At World Market they are pricey, about $5, but not full-on insane, pricewise.) Originally invented in Scotland (thoug sadly no longer made there) McVities chocolate digestives are the largest selling packaged cookie in the UK by a mile. (For the uninitiated, they are rather similar to chocolate-covered graham crackers, though not exactly.)

BTW: this lovely little guide to popular UK sweet treats is quite illuminating. https://www.seriouseats.com/the-serious-eats-guide-to-british-sweets . Sweets are probably the UK food that differs most from what Americans typically eat; US baking traditions tend to go back to more traditional styles. The British went wild for sweets after being almost completely deprived of sugar and chocolate of any kind during WW2, and still eat a lot more packaged cookies than Americans typically do. The climate explains the heavy use of dried fruit products.

Last edited:
For the poster that asked about Marks and Spencer - I don't do my weekly shop in there as its too expensive, but there are certain things I like to buy there, and yes especially on special occasions!

And as for jam or cream first on scones - I don't live anywhere near Devon or Cornwall ( which usually dictates which way round is the proper way!) So I do cream first, then a dollop of jam on top!

Actually, that was just a quote from the movie Calendar Girls. If you haven't seen it give it a watch. It's a fabulous film.

As to caster sugar, the equivalent, often known as "superfine granulated sugar" is available in the US, but usually only at more high-end grocery stores that carry exotic baking ingredients, and it's expensive here. I just make it in my food processor: put regular granulated sugar in the bowl with the steel blade, cover, and pulse grind it for about 30 seconds.

I would do the same. Caster sugar is slightly finer then 'granulated sugar' typically sold here in the USA. Buying a specific type of sugar you likely won't use very often doesn't seem worth it. For the type of dessert being described here, I don't really think it makes that much of a difference. For something like a cake frosting, you would use confectioner's sugar and wouldn't substitute since the result would be too gritty. For most other desserts involving baking, I would use the regular sugar you likely already have at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter