Laser eye surgery - opinions?

Liz

Make a miracle!
I've worn glasses since I was 6 but have never even considered laser eye surgery until my eye appointment today. My eyes have gotten so much worse. I'm wearing bi-focals now for the first time so I'm officially older than dirt. ;) I probably won't ever get the surgery just because of the cost and there are so many other things we could spend the money on, but am curious if anyone here has had it.

Today the eye doctor advised me to not go on roller coasters anymore (luckily I'm not a roller coaster kind of gal - except I do like BTMRR) because my near sightedness has gotten so severe that I am at an increased danger of my retina detaching.

My college program roommate (who posts on here -- Casey, where are you?) had it and was thrilled with the results.

My eye doctor has recommended that I wait until I'm done with school (all of it -- even grad school :() before I seriously consider it.

I have had it, but what I wanted to tell you is that since you need bifocals, laser surgery will not get rid of your need for reading glasses, so you'll still need glasses after surgery. I had severe near sightness and my Dr told me that I most likely I will need reading glasses as my eyes age. Since you're already wearing bifocals, you'll still need reading glasses, since the laser can't repair that type of problem. The reason people need reading glasses has nothing to do with the shape of the eye, or retnia, it's just normal aging of the eye and tissues, which can't as of right now, be corrected. I just wanted you to know, that laser surgery will not completely eliminate your dependence on glasses and might not be worth it. If you're considering it, go to any laser surgery center for a free consult, most will do that. They will evaulate you eyes and tell you of expected results.

What Jel0511 says rings true. I will add that several people I know who have had the surgery are all very pleased with the results.

Please know there is a risk with this surgery. While many are very happy, there are some whose sight is worse than before the procedure. (Their trusty spectacles don't even help now.) :(

Good luck with your decision. :) If you opt for the surgery, I hope all goes well!

I will just give you my two cents worth and let it speak for itself. My DH is an optometrist and wears glasses and does not consider having it done. My brother is an opthamologist and wears glasses. He does not consider having it done nor does he do the laser procedure.

I went to Canada to have it done and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I chose Quebec because it cost thousands less and because the clinic there had been doing this type of surgery for more than a decade. Each doctor had done more than 10,000 surgeries as oppossed to maybe a 1,000 around here so I felt much more comfortable with their experience.

Yes I will have to wear reading glasses some day but I still will not be dependent on them every waking moment of the day as I have been in the past. There is nothing like walking in the rain without wishing you had windshield wipers on your glasses or walking into an airconditioned room and wishing you had a defroster!

I have had LASIK three times! But, there is a reason for this.... I had TERRIBLE eyesight. Honestly - my dear Dr. said I was the worst vision he had ever encountered at my age (31). I had astigmatism and near-sightedness - and was considered a -14 (the Doc said he didn't really know the # rating b/c the scale doesn't really go that high LOL):rolleyes: Anyway my first surgery was great - he just needed to do an "enhancement" later because my vision was so poor. The second surgery was my fault - I thought the 1st surgery was sooo easy I wouldn't need to take the valium to relax. Well long story short - I couldn't keep my eye still for the doctor (who just loves me- by the way). So I went to my 3rd surgery with 2 valium in my system and it was great. Now I can see almost better than 20/20. Some people that I have spoken to (I spent ALOT of time in the Doc's waiting rooms) had recently been becoming more far sighted and they swore it helped them!! This was the best money that I have ever spent. I can't describe what it feels like to wake up in the night and be able to see my baby's face. Or how great it is not to spend the $$ on glasses, contacts (only touric lenses made for my vision), contact solutions, etc. I would recommend LASIK to anyone. Do not let anyone talk you out of it that hasn't had the surgery. Just pick a doctor who is VERY familiar with the procedure. I am confident you will be fine!:)

MayMom, your doc said you were a -14? Yesterday my doctor said I'm -625 in one eye and -750 in the other!!! Maybe its not the same scale here but my eyesight is pretty darn bad too.

I love reading the opinions. I wouldn't care if I still had to wear reading glasses. I'm about ready to fling these bifocals across the room. So far I hate them but they did say to give it 2 weeks to adjust.

I am a - 7.5 and I would love to have normal vision, but I am too chicken to have it done. At least now I can see clearly with glasses, but if something went wrong. THink how hard it would be if you had a problem that couldnt even be fixed with glasses.

I know the success rate is good, but I just would not risk it. JMO

I have had a retina detachment, and thank god with surgery i can now see great.

I'd better call my doctor and see if it is ok to continue to ride roller coasters. I did ride RRC last july, and BTMRR is one of my favorites, GS and I rode it 8 times on e-night.

I went to Canada about 5 years ago and had it done. The change in lifestyle is just INCREDIBLE! The only thing I didn't care for was the halos which made night driving tuff. They lasted about a year.

I too need reading glasses.. one strength for computer work, another for reading.. kind of a pain sometimes, but I consider it a minor inconvenience compared to the way I used to function. BTW, it is a lot easier to replaace $12 walmart reading glasses than $300 bifocals :D

The other side of the coin.. my neighbor had a radial done about 18 months ago.. still can't see out of his eye due to scaring..:mad:

I enjoy seeing different peoples' opinions in this subject. I wear glasses and have pretty poor vision, but personally, I would not pay thousands of dollars for someone to shoot my eyes with a lazer beam. It just doesn't sound right.

I never had the lasik, but I would since I've had more complicated eye surgery. They did use laser, (If I remember correctly) and regular "cutting" My problems were neurological so they adjusted the muscles to override the nerve impulses. Fixed sutures in one eye, adjustable in the other (yep, they fixed those AFTER I was awake!), complete anesthetic and had to take steroid drops and gels afterwards. What I'm trying to say is, I came out OK after that, so I'm kinda for these things, since I know what they can do not only for vision but for yourself psychologically. If you're near Baltimore I can recommend a great eye center!

Put your hand up, arm straight, in front of you. Before lasik, I couldn't see past the hand. Now I can't see within. Readers are a pain, but they beat glasses or contacts 100% of the time.

I have about a dozen pairs of readers (3 for $20 at costco) all over the house, the car, the office. Stronger ones for embroidery. Since I was going to have to go to bi-focals anyway, I did the laser. Wonderful. It's great for the pool, for skiing, for disneyworld!!!

I had it done 16 months ago and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Before my vision was in the 20/300's range, after I see 20/15, better than 20/20. I dont need bifocals/reading glasses yet but I am resigned to the fact that when the time comes I'll get some, but having worned glasses or contacts since I was about 10 years old, it's so fabulous to be able to see when I get up in the a.m., to be able to see in the shower, when swimming, etc. etc.

I was scared to death and didn't think they gave me enough valium myself - but one surgery, painless recovery, no "halo's" at night (they have laser's that treat a larger area now which really prevent those side effects)

I used pre-tax spending account, and I think I paid a total of $1600 (for both eyes) but if I hadn't been so scared of it, I would have paid double and had it down years sooner!

My cousin is a medical doctor (internist) and he had his done, and did the one eye for close up, one eye for distance.. (for free even). He had a friend who learned the procedure and added it to his practice and my cousin volunteered to be his first surgery - now THAT would scare me, although many people never adjust too the two separate prescriptions, he adjusted fine and loves it. Me I went to someone who had 1,000's of surgery's under his belt already, and I'll stick with reading glasses when the time comes.

I had this surgery almost two years ago and I still say it's the greatest gift I ever gave myself!!! Like others said, even with the LASIK you will need reading glasses (though there is a surgery for that just around the corner :) ). One poster said that the eye doctors in her family have not had the surgery, well where I got my eyes "done" practically the whole office had the procedure as well. My eye sight was bad, not sure of the "number" but I couldn't read the BIG "E" and I had a bad astigmatism.

The important things to consider when getting LASIK:

You want someone with a lot of "cutting" experience, not laser experience, as any one can use the machine (in fact it wasn't my doctor who made the settings or operated it).

The laser machine should be in a permanent location. When the machines are moved around it can cause problems.

Find out what is included in the price of the surgery. Mine for instance included an enhancement if needed (I didn't need it), check-ups at one day, one week, one month, three months, six months, and one year after the surgery. Also I was able to make appointments for free if I felt there was a problem (I had bumped my eye about two weeks post-surgery and was given an appointment right away, luckily all was well).

This is definetly a case of you get what you pay for. I was lucky in that I qualified for a friends and family discount, so basically I got two eyes done for the price of one. Cheap is not good in this case.

You want a doctor well established in the community. My doctor is the head of opthamology at our areas biggest hospital.

For me, the worst part was actually the dilation for the pre-op testing to make sure you are a candidate and to get your "measurements". I have dark brown eyes and it took my eyes over 24 hours to recover. Also remember that the worse your eye sight is and the longer you are under the laser, the longer your recovery time will be. DH had the surgery done and was seeing perfect the next day, I spent twice as long under the laser and it took me about 2 1/2 days before I was seeing as well.

Valium? You guys got Valium? Now THAT would have made it easier! Anyone else not informed about the smell and seeing smoke come out your eye? (I would still do it again though)

Frozenfingers - I'm laughing at your post!!! I do remember that VERY well, and if I had probably been told about it I probably wouldn't have done it!! It was VERY weird though..... I agree about the Valium, it would have DFINATELY helped!!! I was given a Zantac before the procedure to help me relax and go to sleep afterwards. It didn't help though, a Valium probably would have done better!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter