"LIVE" from SSR - My first trip home

disneyeveryyear

DIS Veteran
Background: My DH and DS13 always get to do fun stuff in the summer with Boy Scouts, so I told DD9 I would take her anywhere she wanted to go this summer. She's mom's girl and chose WDW. Since we are going again in January, we decided on a studio and she chose SSR, since it is "home" and we had never stayed here yet. (Our choices were OKW and SSR.) We invited her Best-Friend9 (boy), and headed down here early yesterday a.m. (Tuesday)

We arrived at MCO at approximately 11:10 - 11:15 - was at ME by 11:25, and had a 15 minute wait. Was on bus within 5 minutes and soon underway. (For those interested, the ME line said OKW, SSR and WL. We ended up servicing OKW, SSR and POR.) Arrived at SSR and was checked in prior to 12:30. I had requested Grandstand Studio, and it was ready #8436. We came in to drop off laptop, take a few pics,etc. Here is our view:
7-22and7-23010.jpg
We are overlooking the Grandstand Pool and it appears they are buildng a children's play/splash area next to it.

By 1:00 we were waiting for DHS bus (waited 25 minutes). Since it was so late, we had decided not to try to get on any rides, but just grab a couple of shows and then do the Animation Academy before our dinner at 50's PTD at 5:00p.m.

We were back and seated at LMA for the 2:45 show. They got the first sequence in when the lightning started. Of course, they put a 10 minute hold on the show. When the lightning got worse, they went ahead and cancelled. By that time, it was pouring so we just sat and waited out the worst of it (I thought). By the time we got out and started walking toward the Animation building, it was pouring again, so $24 later we were the proud owners of 3 Mickey ponchos (never mind all the ponchos back in my Owner's Locker that I hadn't wanted to wait for before we left SSR). We snuck in the back way at the Animation Studio and did a couple of pictures with Mr. I, Frozone, Wall-E cut-out. I let the kids play on the computers for awhile and we got into the 4:30 Animation Academy. Here they are working very hard
7-22and7-23022.jpg
. As we were almost finished, DD9 looked over to me and said "I don't think this is my God-given talent." It caught me as funny, because I thought she did a great job for 9 years old. I wrote her quote on her picture, and we grabbed them all to leave for our 5:00 p.m. ADR. We told the host at PTC that it was Charlie's first day ever at WDW, and he made sure we were seating in Jamie's section. She was absolutely hysterical. I would request her anytime. As we were leaving the park, BF9 asked me "Are we going to have more fun tomorrow?" My kids seem to appreciate WDW for all of the different facets, not just the E Ticket rides. I guess I thought all kids would too.

So, by 7:00 we were headed back to SSR and the pool. They kids really enjoyed the slide and I had a nice chat with a mom from Ohio.

I'll tell you about today in the next post.

Sounds like you guys are off to a great start! You've really got nice view from the room too! Thanks for posting, I look forward to hearing about your "more fun tomorrow."

Today was our first MK day and we tried to be there by rope drop, but the bus didn't cooperate. We left the room by 8:00, but by the time we got to MK they were already doing the opening show and we were caught behind the turnstiles due to the crowd.

We moved quickly down Main Street and made it to Tomorrowland just as they were doing the rope drop. I grabbed tickets and went to SpaceM for FPs while DD9 and BF9 went over to Indy. As soon as they finished we did Buzz twice and since we couldn't ride SpaceM yet, we decided to head back to the other mountains. It was still before 10:00 so we couldn't pick up the train in toontown, so we hoofed it over. We rode SplashM with a 10 minute wait (more like walk on), then did BTMR with a 10 minute wait (more like 5). They decided they preferred BTMR, so since our FP window had just opened from Space, we got FPs for BTMR and headed over to POTC. It was truly a walk-on. We were stopped by a PhotoPass photographer and I am looking forward to seeing those pics also. By that time, JC had a 30 minute wait and we weren't eligible for anymore FPs yet, so we passed on it for now and went over to the HM. Once again, a walk-on. By this time it was about 11:10 and we headed over to Columbia Harbor House for lunch. After lunch we used our FPs, (BTMR, Space 2x), did the TTA (saw SM all lit up) and did a little shopping and headed out by 2:00 or so.

The kids wanted to rent a movie and get in from the heat so we got off at last stop and went to Community Hall. Once they saw the foosball and ping pong tables, the movie was soon forgotten. I came back to shower for dinner and they proceeded to get separated on the way home and I had the concierge calling me that my DD9 was there.

I headed to get her and found BF9. We left for dinner where we got absolutely drenched on the way to dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe. The walkway between the busses and monorail at Epcot was flooded and the kids tennis shoes were squishing. Once we got to the Grand Floridian, the first thing we had to do was buy crocs for the kids.

Dinner was at the Grand Floridian Cafe and it was very good. The kids could get steak on the DDP, so I knew they finally had a meal that was big enough to actually feed them. It looked like they were given 2 3oz. medallions of tenderloin. They both liked it, and thought the fries were very good.

So we came back to the resort and the kids popped in their movie and both promptly fell asleep. Thank Goodness!!!! A little down time for me.

Do you mind me asking if you paid for all the friend's expenses? I've considered allowing mine to bring a friend, but worried it would really add up.

Ah looks like the water splash area at Grandstand pool is still under refurbishment. (It's not new but has been there for over a year.)

If you get a chance, ask the Activities staff when it's scheduled to open. Tell 'em Grandpa Mohawk and his daughter said hi.

Love your report so far! Sounds like you have good kids with you.
What do you think of SSR? We are going in October and I can't wait!

Sounds like a great trip.

Boy this kid is living the life.....I'm sure your sleeping with DD so he gets the bed to himself:laughing:

My DD is an only child.....so I'm sure I will be bringing friends later as well.....also curious about how much money the friend brought.
Enjoy:goodvibes
Kerri

Thank you for taking the time to do a live TR. I will be staying there in a studio room in Sept. Can you please take some pics of the room? How close in terms of walking is Grandstand to Community Hall?

Great to hear that the crowds are light! I hope that is the case for us in 2 weeks! Keep the TR coming!

We're leaving next week, and part of our trip will be in a studio at SSR. I have also requested Grandstand. :)

It sounds like the buses are still spotty. :guilty: On the other hnad, it sounds like you were still able to do a fair amount at MK that morning.:thumbsup2 I am big on getting to the parks EARLY, so the bus thing is stressing me out. We don't want to rent a car.

Enjoying the trip report Bev. Thanks. Hope the buses get a little better for you.

Ah looks like the water splash area at Grandstand pool is still under refurbishment. (It's not new but has been there for over a year.)

If you get a chance, ask the Activities staff when it's scheduled to open. Tell 'em Grandpa Mohawk and his daughter said hi.

Is that the area with the horse "stalls" and the shooting guns? In May, that area was all opened up. Near the grills and picnic tables?

Sounds like it's been a great trip so far! I can't wait to get there August 6!!!

Thanks for sharing your trip and for the pic's! I'm headed there in October for my annual "mommy only" trip and was considering the Grandstand or Springs. Usually DH and I love Congress Park, but since I'll be alone I wanted something closer to the pool/pools and restaurants.

How far are you from the Carriage House???

Have a wonderful time and thanks again!!! ;)

could you elaborate on "the busses didn't cooperate"? I'm guessing MK had a 9AM opening time, and you said you left your room at 8. Did you miss the first bus and have to wait, or did the first SSR bus get you there that late? I am debating a car for our trip and I like to be there in plenty of time for rope drop. I've requested grandstand to be the first bus pickup, but it won't help if the busses don't come in a timely manner.
Robin M.

Is that the area with the horse "stalls" and the shooting guns? In May, that area was all opened up. Near the grills and picnic tables?

Yes it is. Disneyeveryyear: looks like we are neighbors for one more day. We are down the hall from you in 8411. Glad you are having a good time, especially with dodging the last few storms we have had.

Sounds like it's been a great trip so far! I can't wait to get there August 6!!!

We check in August 4, staying until the 11th. Maybe we'll see you there! :)

could you elaborate on "the busses didn't cooperate"? I'm guessing MK had a 9AM opening time, and you said you left your room at 8. Did you miss the first bus and have to wait, or did the first SSR bus get you there that late? I am debating a car for our trip and I like to be there in plenty of time for rope drop. I've requested grandstand to be the first bus pickup, but it won't help if the busses don't come in a timely manner.
Robin M.

This is the same situation we have. It had been awhile since I read anything about folks waiting 45 minutes for a bus, but maybe that is still happening!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter