"LIVE" from SSR - My first trip home

Do you mind me asking if you paid for all the friend's expenses? I've considered allowing mine to bring a friend, but worried it would really add up.

I don't want to pirate: the thread, but I have always included a friend for my girls when we go on vaca.

My sister's kids fight like cats and dogs....boy and girl, close in age, absolute delights when they are away from each other. But if they are in the same room it is miserable to be around them.

I never ever had that problem, and I finally realized it was because we always had extra friends, they always had someone to play with besides each other, and are truly the best of friends today at 23 and 25. I wish my sister and I were so close.

And I always pay for it, except for personal spending money. I just count them as one of my own until we get back home.

That is just my own personal philosophy, I'm sure there will be many different viewpoints, and none are better than the other...

I don't want to pirate: the thread, but I have always included a friend for my girls when we go on vaca.

My sister's kids fight like cats and dogs....boy and girl, close in age, absolute delights when they are away from each other. But if they are in the same room it is miserable to be around them.

I never ever had that problem, and I finally realized it was because we always had extra friends, they always had someone to play with besides each other, and are truly the best of friends today at 23 and 25. I wish my sister and I were so close.

And I always pay for it, except for personal spending money. I just count them as one of my own until we get back home.

That is just my own personal philosophy, I'm sure there will be many different viewpoints, and none are better than the other...

I don't have kids of my own, but when my college roomie and her husband and daughter were here a couple of weeks ago I asked the daughter of a friend of mine to come with us to Disneyland so she could pal around with my friend's daughter. She has an annual pass (as do I) so I didn't need to buy her entrance, and her parents have given her money for food, etc. but I insisted on buying all her food, which gave her more money for souvenirs--LOL. Which believe me, she spent! We went to the OC Fair a couple of days later and she also came with us--she actually snuck off and bought a couple of things to eat without me knowing--I would have gladly paid then too. It was worth it to me to have my friend's daughter have someone close to her own age and gave us adults the ability not to have to go on some of the "wilder" rides!

Thanks for sharing- we also stayed at the Grandstand last year and loved it!
We did OKW this year-it was alright, I like SSR much better. The room we were in was clean, but definitely showing its age.
I'm interested in how you liked Hoop de Doo- we did it for the first time this past vacation.

Thanks for sharing- we also stayed at the Grandstand last year and loved it!
We did OKW this year-it was alright, I like SSR much better. The room we were in was clean, but definitely showing its age.
I'm interested in how you liked Hoop de Doo- we did it for the first time this past vacation.

We are back from the HDDR and really enjoyed it. Both 9 year olds had a great time and our guest was amazed that he was even put in the "spotlight" during the singing contest.

Once again, it rained tonight. We have determined that all we have to do is try to go to dinner and it pours. Luckily we had our ponchos with us, and gave them to someone just arriving at the MK for EMH as we were getting on our bus back to SSR. They were just our cheapie Dollar Store ponchos, but I hoped they would help keep someone dry. At 10:30 p.m. it was still raining, so I am thinking it was a soggy EMH.

Since I had a bad night (not sure if it was dinner at the Garden Grille, or stress), we slept in this a.m. again and missed our 2nd day at AK, we are going to be there for rope drop tomorrow, and then we'll finish up at Epcot in the late afternoon and evening with dinner at Teppan Edo. Today was a lie in and DTD. We left at 3:30 p.m. for the HDDR and got to Pioneer Hall at 4:45 p.m.

I did have one "first" today. I lost the small leather wallet I carry our tickets in. I had my DD's money in it and I am wondering if I left it on the counter at the Lego Store. Luckily DD and I have APs, and even more luckily I had photocopied the back of our guests ticket, so on the way back from the HDDR, I stopped at Guest Services on MK and got them all replaced with no problem. Another tip I had learned on the DIS.

Today was a split day. We spent the a.m. at AK going the big rides again and out of the park immediately after lunch.

Late this afternoon we headed to EPCOT for dinner reservatins at Teppan Edo. We all thought it was quite good. I had the filet mignon and it was very tasty. My DD9 helped me finish it!

We are now back to download pics and play some LCR.

Tomorrow a.m. is rope drop at DHS.

glad you are having a nice trip...I can't wait for my girls to get older so they can bring friends to the world...it sounds great:)

Enjoying your trip report..

We also love SSR and will be going back for 7 nights in November. :)

I'm really enjoying your reports. Thanks again for taking the time to do this.

I hate to be the one to bring this up, but when do you leave?? :sad1: I'll miss seeing your daily activities. I guess you'll just have to begin planning another trip; and soon!! :thumbsup2

Great report!! Really enjoying your trip report:thumbsup2

What's "Rope Drop?" :confused3

:lmao: :rotfl:

I think that means being in the park when they first open and drop the ropes so people can proceed in. If that's not the answer then I want to know too! ;)

Is that the area with the horse "stalls" and the shooting guns? In May, that area was all opened up. Near the grills and picnic tables?

Yes, you are correct. That area WAS open in May! We were there the first week in May and the spray area was open more than the Grandstand Pool bar was! We were in the building right beside the grill area and there was no walls of any kind at the pool or spray area. They did put plastic covers over the sprayers in the evening though. Hmmmmm....

glad you are having a nice trip...I can't wait for my girls to get older so they can bring friends to the world...it sounds great:)
It can be a lot of fun, but there can be a couple of bumps along the way. All in all we have done pretty well, but I am really looking forward to January when it is just the 4 of us.

Great report!! Really enjoying your trip report:thumbsup2

What's "Rope Drop?" :confused3

:lmao: :rotfl:

Thanks so much. "Rope drop" means being at the parks at opening. They typically let you thru the turnstiles about 15 minutes early, but hold you at a certain place with ropes. Thus, rope drop is when they let you go past that point. Today, it was the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset Blvd. Most of us were heading to Toy Story Mania for FPs and to ride it. What a cute ride!

I'm really enjoying your reports. Thanks again for taking the time to do this.

I hate to be the one to bring this up, but when do you leave?? :sad1: I'll miss seeing your daily activities. I guess you'll just have to begin planning another trip; and soon!! :thumbsup2

Actually, we leave tomorrow evening on a 7:30 p.m. flight. I have enjoyed the 9 days, but I am ready to go home. I miss DH and DS13. We already have the next trip booked from 1/1/9 - 1/7/9. The kids don't go back to school until 1/8 so what else to do but go to WDW!

Yes, you are correct. That area WAS open in May! We were there the first week in May and the spray area was open more than the Grandstand Pool bar was! We were in the building right beside the grill area and there was no walls of any kind at the pool or spray area. They did put plastic covers over the sprayers in the evening though. Hmmmmm....

The walls went down either yesterday or Sunday. Here is what it looks like now:

P72900012.jpg

We have seen some kids playing in the area, but haven't actually seen anyone squirting water yet.

Thanks for posting the pic and your trip report has been great. I can't imagine heading to WDW sans DH but sounds like y'all are having a great time!

I really loved the Grandstand area!

Today was our next to last day and we did DHS at rope drop. We definitely wanted to be able to do the new Toy Story Mania, and had heard that FPs were usually gone by noon, so we were there bright and early.

We grabbed our FPs for TSM and then rode stand-by. The queue is so cute. I won't post pictures of the whole thing, but here are the kids clowning around
P7290016.jpg
. There was so much to see, the line went very quickly and we had a ball on it. We then headed over and rode TOT (DD's first ride on it), and then grabbed fast passes for RNRC. We went back to use our FPs at TSM since we weren't sure if they were being strict about the return time or not. One thing I did notice at this point was that there wasn't anyone in the single rider line. That might just be the way to do it! A nice cool trip thru the Great Movie Ride and we were ready for LMA. We had seen the first 10 minutes of it last Tuesday before we were rained out, so we wanted to do the early morning one since thunderstorms were forecasted for this afternoon.

Lunch was the delicious :rotfl2: Pizza Planet followed by grabbing FPs for Star Tours. We were going to see Indy next, but it started thundering and we were afraid that it might get rained out too. So, we decided to pass on Indy and headed to RNRC to use our FPs. DD decided she didn't want to ride, so we took the chicken exit and waited for our guest at the exit. Just as we got to RNRC it had started to rain pretty hard. By the time we left, it had stopped and the humidity was at approximately 210%. The kids get a kick out of watching the steam rise, and we had an impromptu lesson on evaporation. After riding ST, we stopped at the Pin station to try to get the AP and Disney Visa pins for DH. They told me I'll have to go to DTD to get the Visa pins, so we'll be heading that way for pins.

We are out of Table Service credits, so we'll have to figure out counter service for dinner. I have heard Puck's is good, but not sure it is very kid friendly. It will probably be back to Artist's Palette again.

So we are back in the room, with the kids doing Legos and watching a movie
P72900032.jpg

P72900042.jpg
I am going to start packing so I won't have so much to do tonight.

We'll leave everything with Bell Services in the a.m. and head to the MK for our final day. ME is picking us up at 4:30 so we'll have plenty of time.

I hope you all enjoyed our trip and thanks for reading!

I have to tell you. This was one of the nicest trip reports I've read. I actually look forward daily to see what you are doing!:rotfl: I truely appreciated all the great pictures you posted expecially since I'm thinking of staying at the Grandstand or the Srpings. But most of all it sounds like you and the kids had a ball. :thumbsup2

Well, if we don't talk to you tomorrow, have a safe trip home, and begin that planning for January!!!

Thanks again...it's been fun.

Thanks for taking the time on your trip to let us in on your vacation. It is such a good way for us who have along time before our next trip to get a good Disney fix. Isn't it great creating such wonderful memories for your daughter and her friend, not to mention you! Thanks again..

I have to tell you. This was one of the nicest trip reports I've read. I actually look forward daily to see what you are doing!:rotfl: I truely appreciated all the great pictures you posted expecially since I'm thinking of staying at the Grandstand or the Srpings. But most of all it sounds like you and the kids had a ball. :thumbsup2

Well, if we don't talk to you tomorrow, have a safe trip home, and begin that planning for January!!!

Thanks again...it's been fun.

Thanks for taking the time on your trip to let us in on your vacation. It is such a good way for us who have along time before our next trip to get a good Disney fix. Isn't it great creating such wonderful memories for your daughter and her friend, not to mention you! Thanks again..

Thanks for your compliments. This is the first trip report I have written, and since there was no way I could compare to some of the "comedic" reports I have read and loved, I just decided that a more factual report was closer to my personality.

We arrived at our "real" home at approx. 12:30 this morning after a delay with our flights. Said hello to my DH, drug in the luggage, and went to bed. I am at work now SHHHH, but taking a small break.

I really enjoyed our stay in the Grandstand for a couple of reasons. We were very close to the quiet pool, the bus stop, and yet less than a 5 minute walk to The Carriage House. But the biggest thing to me was that we were the first stop for the busses. A couple of mornings I heard it said that certain busses never even made it to the Springs because they were full. At the end of the day, it was nice to be the first drop off point also.

Thanks all for reading, and I will soon start planning for January. I have the reservations and the flights taken care of. I just need to figure out tickets for DH and DS before prices go up on 8/3/8, wait for TGM to tell me which park I need to go to each day and make my ADRs. Wow, I guess I do still have a lot to do!

Thank you for posting your trip report. I really enjoyed reading about your day to day activities. Don't know if I'm brave enough to bring one of ds9's friends with us yet. I have huge respect for you! He's a handful all by himself.

Welcome back Beverly! While I totally know how you feel today, back at work and the "real world" :sad1: just think.... In about 6 months you'll be back doing it all over again!!! :rotfl: I have to admitt; I give you credit...there's no way I'd be back at work the next day. Especially after getting in after midnight.

I'm definately re-thinking my location for October. I'm either going to go back to Congress Park or try the Grandstand. I don't want to have to hassle with the bus situation, especially in the mornings. While I only plan on getting to the MK for early entry, I want to get there for "early entry" :rotfl:

Well again, thanks for the report and welcome back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter