• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Live from the 12/14 Magic - Help us free 4Nana

Status
Not open for further replies.

slindamood

DIS Veteran
The 12/14 cruisers are at sea again today, with clear blue skies and wonderfully warm weather (finally). We had our DIS meet at Lumieres today, and found out about the terrible situation of 4Nana - one of our frequent posters on the 12/14 cruise.

As many of you know, 4Nana and her family of 16 have been planning this trip for 2 years. On Saturday, after the rush and commotion of getting 16 people settled, 4Nana rested into the dinner hour. The room steward noted that she had not gone to dinner, inquired, and her answer that she needed some rest got 4Nana put into quarantine for 72 hours. She has not seen the ship, has not seen her grandchildren, and the whole family is missing the reunion they had been planning.

It is one thing to be sick, but 4Nana is not sick. She has gone to the medical center, hair fixed, makeup on, to prove she is well, but they do not listen. She is told if she leaves her room again something terrible will happen - she does not know what. So she is stuck. The 16 family members are considering all going to guest services, or whomever, and demanding her release. She has missed everything. No visitors even.

Any suggestions?

Warning - if you get tired the day you embark ( who doesn't) DONT tell anyone and don't miss dinner.

Suzanne

P.S. We had a great turnout at the Dis meet - filled a table for 10 and then some. 4 Nana's middle daughter came to tell the tale of woe, and brought green ribbons and green tic-tacks as a favor for everyone. It was great fun, but we are devestated about the situation one of our members is in.

Now you've got me concerned. A group of 10 of us is sailing ( 7 day East) in June, in honor of my mother's retirement. My mother suffers from migrane headaches and it's not unusual for her to come down with one after traveling. She has perscription medication that she will take with her, but the best remedy for her is sleep. We've done trips before with her and she'll sleep for an entire day and then be great the rest of the trip. I don't want her to be quarantined! Please keep us posted.

OH MY GOODNESS -- PLEASE tell me that this is just a JOKE? I have watched 4NaNa plan this trip of her family reunion for a LONG time now! I cannot imagine that something like this could really happen. I really don't think that they could hold me in my room unless they LOCKED me in!!!!!!!!!! (Unless ofcourse, I was truly ill and contagious).
:eek:

I'm confused.

Because 4Nana felt tired she is isolated for 72 hours???

Is it standard procedure for all DCL cruises if you have the flu (or I guess virus in this case) that you are to remain in your room for 72 hours or you are asked to leave at your expense???

Wow that would be my entire 3 day cruise if that's true.

:confused:

I believe it is a CDC rule that if you are diagnosed with the "virus" that you must stay in your cabin for 72 hours. I think this went a little too far, though. I think if you were sick you had the option to leave at various ports and I "think" DCL was paying for your flight home (I guess they would rather have you leave than infect anyone onboard).

I also have been reading all 4nana's posts about her cruise and I just can't believe this happened. Wow....don't know what else to say. I better tell my kids to make sure they get to every Dinner!!!!

Glad the rest of you are having a good time....FREE 4NANA!!!!

MJ

This is very upsetting. My daughter is still receiving chemotherapy and her endurance level is not where it should be for a 14 year old girl. Since MAW is arranging all of our trip details, I think I should speak with someone at the cruiseline. Can someone please post a phone number that gets me thru to someone who can give me more info?

Thanks,
Laura

I also feel this is very upsetting. I have a cruise planned for the Magic in February, and have taken all this virus stuff in stride until now.

I understand that people should stay in their rooms until their symptoms go away, but to quarantine for a mandatory 72 hours, with no symptoms except being tired is crazy.

I have 3 small children, who have never sailed before, and I am worried if one of them should get motion sick, they will be labeled as having the virus and we will be stuck in our room for 72 hours! I am spending more money on this vacation than I ever have in my life, and I don't want to be held prisoner in my room.

I am hoping that over the next 7 sailings, things will calm down, and they won't be so quick to quarantine people, but I must say I am concerned!

Originally posted by Dani's mom
This is very upsetting. My daughter is still receiving chemotherapy and her endurance level is not where it should be for a 14 year old girl. Since MAW is arranging all of our trip details, I think I should speak with someone at the cruiseline. Can someone please post a phone number that gets me thru to someone who can give me more info?

Thanks,
Laura

Hi Laura!
I'm not sure what your concerns are exactly at this point. Are you concerned that you could be confined to your room because they will think your daughter is ill? OR are you concerned that your daughter could catch this virus? Any place that you have a confinement of a very large number of people such as a school, the mall, an airplane or a cruise ship you run the chances of someone bringing a virus -- and passing it to others. (Especially this time of year). If you keep your daughter out of other public places due to concern for her immune system then maybe a cruise right now is not such a good thing. BUT - this is not DCL making people sick -- viruses can get carried on to the ship from other people - this really cannot be prevented. If you call the general toll free number for DCL they can forward you to the depart that can assist you (1-800-511-9444)
:D

Okay fellow DIS Board Cruise Addicts ---- I think that I place too much of myself in to these boards! Ever since I read this post about 4Nana -- I have been worried for her and hoping she is having a good time on the cruise. (this surely cannot be true -- that she is being confined to her room due to a misunderstanding?) I am not doubting anyone -- just trying to convince myself!;)

FREE 4Nana!!:teeth:

This does not even sound REAL!

If the situation IS as described, with a grandmother, simply frazzled from travel-embarkation, immediately quarantined to her room, with no evidence of illness...., then yes, they should all get together and demand her release! ( sounds like the airline passengers held hostage on that tarmac due to a little snow!! )

Perhaps someone should call DCL and point them to this thread?

This seems really an over the top reaction! Insist upon a medical diagnosis, call/see a GS Manager - whatever it takes. I fully understand the 72 hr quarantine for a contagious person, but certainly not for someone complaining of being tired. If this is for real - I am sure that family members can haunt the medical staff, GS personnel, and keep going UP until reaching satisfactory explanation/resolution. Either this is either a put on or there has to be some realistic explanation.

This is rediculous. You can't nap on the cruise anymore without fear of being confined to your room?

Someone go down to Guest Services, ask for a supervisor and demand that half of 4nana's cruise fare be refunded immediately. If they are unwilling to do that, demand a free in-room visit from the medical staff declaring her to be disease free. If all else fails, mention the word "lawsuit."

C'mon Disney... I know the media sucks and you're trying to be cautious....but get a grip.

Hello from the 12/14 cruise...

As Susanne said earlier in the thread, it's very true that 4Nana is definately confined to her cabin at the moment. I'm on my way down to slip a note under her door... Her hubby is supposed to be quarantined also, but snuck down for a bit to meet us Dis board girls during our lunch today.... just about broke my heart.

I totally agree with what Disney is doing for people that are sick (and there are some on this ship), but 4Nana is definately not in that catagory, she was "wrongly accused" and they are meaning well but at the same time ruining a family reunion.

Last I heard the WHOLE family was going to form a group and try to reach the captain with this situation so she could be released by morning and then she won't miss St Maartin with her family. I'm sure one of us on board will keep you all informed.

In the mean time I'm sure all your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated by 4Nana and her sweet sweet family.

I too suffer from migraine headaches. I hate to think that if I miss one dinner that I will be quarantined for the next 72 hours. What about motion sickness?? The last time we cruised we hit some pretty rough seas & people were throwing up all over the place....will they quarantine you for sea-sickness??? This sounds like hysteria to me. We are sailing in Feb & I am more worried about being told I cannot leave my cabin than ACTUALLY getting sick now!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
This is HORRIBLE!

Gather all of the DISers together to help back up 4Nana's family and get her out of that room! There has got to be someone on that ship that can give them some immediate HELP! I guess that I am not just the quiet stand by and wait and HOPE type of person --- I would be tearing that ship apart until I got some satisfaction. This is ridiculous!:mad:

I actually thought about calling DCL -- but wouldn't I sound stupid insisting that they FREE 4Nana (considering that is the only name I know her by).;) Does anyone know if she booked her trip thru Dreams? Would someone from Dreams be able to help out at all?

Can someone say SALEM WITCH HUNT HYSTERIA!!!! Anyone who knows me knows I am one of the biggest supporters of DCL, cruising 6 times already and have #7 and #8 already booked.... but this is just crazy for DCL to overeact like this.

Could the room steward mistakenly have given wrong info to the the powers that be????? I can't imagine them confining her to her cabin for just being tired and missing dinner...hope things calm down by 1/4!!!

MJ

Obviously something is going on here but untill all the facts are in I think we need to keep things calm.
I have personally emailed some people at DCL and I am sure it will be looked in to.
Untill we have all the facts about what is going on let's all take a deep breath...

Yes, lets all take a deep breath. Hopefully we will have an answer soon.

Originally posted by wovenwonder
Hi Laura!
I'm not sure what your concerns are exactly at this point. Are you concerned that you could be confined to your room because they will think your daughter is ill? OR are you concerned that your daughter could catch this virus? Any place that you have a confinement of a very large number of people such as a school, the mall, an airplane or a cruise ship you run the chances of someone bringing a virus -- and passing it to others. (Especially this time of year). If you keep your daughter out of other public places due to concern for her immune system then maybe a cruise right now is not such a good thing. BUT - this is not DCL making people sick -- viruses can get carried on to the ship from other people - this really cannot be prevented. If you call the general toll free number for DCL they can forward you to the depart that can assist you (1-800-511-9444)
:D

Hi Jody,

Sorry, I wasn't very clear - was too upset about this situation I guess. I completely get the virus thing, and that DCL is doing all they can to combat its spread. Dani is not as immune to things as a completely healthy person, but she's not isolated by any means. My husband flew to Houston Sunday and Weds. he was sick and I know he got it on the plane.

I am just so afraid that we will travel all the way down there and end up being confined to quarters because Dani does not feel well - nothing to do with the virus. We will have little recourse once the cruise is underway, as I do not fly. I'm not explaining this very well, and I feel so sorry for this nice lady and hope they can resolve this fairly right away.

Thanks for the phone number.
Laura

When my stomach was feeling iffy on thursday and I was pretty sure that it was because of the amoxicillian and motrin my husband (a lawyer) told me NOT to call the med center to tell them. He knew it was a side effect and felt sure that we would be unduley quarinteended. I still don't know for sure what bothered me until yesterday but I am good to go today. Did feel a bit queezy still after taking the amox. at noon so it probably was because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter