• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Live from the 12/14 Magic - Help us free 4Nana

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is really troubling to hear about 4Nana.
It is beyond belief that they could do that if you aren't even ill!

I think that is one room steward that won't be getting a tip this week. :(

Thanks Alex...For notifying DCL on land.

For those on the ship. I can't believe this either. Keep us informed.

FREE 4NANA

That's great news! I had a feeling it would be worked out :)

Still seems incomprehensible to me that they would quarantine someone solely on the basis of a room steward reporting someone having missed dinner.

Maybe they are receiving a bonus for reporting possible illness?

I'll be interested to get 4nana's take on it when she returns.

Originally posted by Dani's mom

Sorry, I wasn't very clear - was too upset about this situation I guess. I completely get the virus thing, and that DCL is doing all they can to combat its spread. Dani is not as immune to things as a completely healthy person, but she's not isolated by any means. My husband flew to Houston Sunday and Weds. he was sick and I know he got it on the plane.

I am just so afraid that we will travel all the way down there and end up being confined to quarters because Dani does not feel well - nothing to do with the virus. We will have little recourse once the cruise is underway, as I do not fly. I'm not explaining this very well, and I feel so sorry for this nice lady and hope they can resolve this fairly right away.

Thanks for the phone number.
Laura

Laura -

I can understand your apprehension about this, my DM is taking Chemo for small cell lung cancer and she doesn't have much energy or enthusiasm or appetite right now.

My best suggestion would be to have your Travel Agent or DCL get their 'Medical Needs' form faxed or sent to you. You can fill it out and have her Doctor fill it out and sign it and then it can be faxed back to DCL. This would make them aware of Dani's situation and needs and would give them a chance to make any advance preparations that are necessary, especially medical and dietary needs. It would also establish her condition with them and lessen the chance of a misunderstanding like what happened to 4Nana.

The Medical Needs form is a 'one size fits all' form but her Doctors can add additional pages with info as needed.

I hope she enjoys the cruise and that DCL makes it a truly Magical event for her.

Exactly Pugdog! Once she is back, we will hear the whole story and see what REALLY happend. Untill then I have no idea what I am going to do with the 500 "free 4nana" t-shirts I ordered!

How creepy is that that your room steward is watching a passenger that closely??? If I'd known my coming and goings were being noted by a cabin steward I'd be more than a little unnerved.

Anyway....poor 4nana. What a sweet lady on the boards. The entire sailing party should receive compensation of some form. While 4nana is prevented from seeing the ship, the family is prevented from seeing her, as was the point of the family reunion. Not only free 4nana....free cruise for 4nana and family(or partially free.....boy, I am upset about this hostage situation)! How unfortunate that she is suffering for nothing but exhaustion. This answers my question of whether I should take my elderly mother along on our next trip. The excitement would wipe her out, and it sounds as though that would wipe out our vacation. I hope they take the McCarthy label off your door and let you have some fun soon!

As I said earlier my3kids, there is a good chance we don't have all the facts in yet. Even the people posting admitted they hadn't spoken to her. I am sure we will hear from her as soon as she returns and then we can make judgements.
In the meantime I am just glad it has been straightened out :)

Originally posted by WebmasterAlex
Exactly Pugdog! Once she is back, we will hear the whole story and see what REALLY happend. Untill then I have no idea what I am going to do with the 500 "free 4nana" t-shirts I ordered!

Thanks Alex -- you gave me the laugh that I needed today!:teeth:

Geezzz..I would have been in real trouble on my August sailing if the virus had been going around then. I spent well over half my time in my stateroom, reading on the verandah, napping, sitting on the sofa listening to music on the stereo or watching TV.

My entire reason for cruising was to force myself to totally veg.

Anne

Many of us have been monitoring these boards closely and extensively the past month or so, and the boards have proven to be tremendous sources of information. And the webmasters have done a great service in sifting through and obtaining some official replies. But anyone who has read these boards dispationately can see the pattern of behavior: Yes, Disney is trying to do the responsible thing and is trying to comply with the CDC and protect the health of its CM's and guests...and future guest. Yes, Disney is aware of the media, and the impact of perception. Yes, the vast, vast majorityof guests have had great cruises. Yes, Disney is a giant corporation whose stock price is sensitive to public perception and so has at times stone-walled on information and ended up getting heavy handed with isolated individuals and families. Did you read the one about someone be "ordered" to move along when they stopped to witness a family being quarantined/put off the ship or some such Virus response on the 12/7 Western? I have no doubt that it was as heavy handed and intimidating a moment as it came across on the Board.

I am taking my second Disney cruise in 3 1/2 weeks. I am booked on the Magic for the 1/10/03 Eastern, a trip I frankly cannot afford but that's my problem, not Disney's. No one held a gun to my head and yes, I have travel insurance. My hope is that this will be a trip to make memories to last a lifetime for myself, DW and DS, and no amount of money can repair the disappointment if the trip gets mucked up. And Disney is not the one spreading the Virus. And Disney is (probably) doing about as good a job as any cruise operator could under the circumstances.

But I have no doubt that my wife's migraines and other daily health situations will be under heightened scrutiny, and I do not plan to report to medical unless absolutely necessary. I can't control the weather or the societal health conditions, but I can read which way the wind is blowing and take precautions and make sure my family is in the dining room for dinner!

Just MHO, and I hoep all stay well and everyone's cruise is as WONDERFUL or MAGICAL as my first Disney cruise was and as I hope the next one will be...but optimism doesn't make me a naive stooge to corporate necessity.

I would suggest that if someone has an ailment as common as reaccuring migraines to still fill out the medical form and get a note from the doctor stating that this patient may need to take their medicine and have some extra rest due to their condition. This way you hopefully will not be questioned if you happen to sleep thru dinner.:D Just show them the note from your Doc.

logan....we are on the Western and will be getting off the ship the day you get on, the 11th.....will keep it nice and sick free for you, if at all possible!!!!

MJ

Thank you mmouse, and here's to hoping the hysteria subsides ASAP so we can all go back to worrying about much more important things...like what to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner and what activity to choose...

You know, after watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding for the second time on a flight home, I have the obvious solution to all these illnesses. DCL should clean the ship down with Windex!

I think we all need to keep something in mind. We heard from 2 individuals that were on the ship but neither of them were there when 4Nana spoke to the doctor, nor did either of them speak to the person involved directly.
Both of these individuals have posted here for a long time and I truly believe they gave us the best information they had available.
I recieved several emails from DCL today and they were very clear that only the onboard medical team could order someone held in their cabin and only if they had symptoms consistent with that of the Norwalk Virus.
They are not going to discuss this particular incident with me or anyone else because of patient confidentiality and that is entirely appropriate.
Unless we hear something different from the person involved I am certainly willing to take DCL at their word. I think it is pretty unfair to attack them when we don't know all of the circumstances.
4Nana is out and hopefully having the time of her life on the cruise. If, after she comes back, she has something to say about this incident then we may find out what really happend. Untill then I really believe we need to give DCL the benefit of the doubt, I certainly believe they have the passengers best interests at heart.
I'm asking everyone to let this go and show some restraint, I think it is only fair to everyone involved including 4Nana
Thank you

And in Disney's defense I really did not see ANY heavy handedness. All the staff seemed to be going out of their way to be EXTRA pleasant. When on CC day my husband told them he was a bit queezy and wanted to cancel his parasailing they did not quarentine him or question him and pleasently refunded his NON-refundable prepaid excursion. I agree with Alex that unless you know all the facts it seems quite hasty to judge. In the incidence of people being hurried along, well if there is a traffic accident the police tell you move along too, there was really no reason to stop and gawk. The CM's were trying to contain the situation-and if the people were suppossed to be quarentined still they should have known better. The same people upset about the "man handling" would be more upset if they were infected by calouse folks that didn't care about making others sick.
While I was away we had a massive strep outbreak in the preschool I teach in. Why? Because a parent wanted their "money's worth" of their month's prepaid tuition and sent their child to school while they were still contagious. Even though the school handbook clearly states that you need to be on the antibiotics for 24 hours PRIOR to readmittance -some people don't care who they infect.
I could be WAY off base- I am not on the ship- but since I was last week and was in the medical center twice I think I can base my opinion on what I personally witnessed and I have a very hard time believing someone would be put on quarentine JUST for missing dinner. Sorry if that offends anyone but it seems way off from what I experienced.

I am with you 100%. It all seems so blown out of proportion and only second hand info to rely on and hasty judgements being made based on this hearsay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter