Live Report from the 4/22 Backstage Magic

Great pics, Max! Is Stage 7 the pics with with ornate backgrounds? Wasn't Stacia special? I hugged her and practically cried when I watched her draw my favorite character and talk about him. I received Winnie the Pooh and DH received Tramp. He is still bugging me for not getting Lady. I had to get Winnie the Pooh. That was soooo special! I am enjoying my photopass pics. Diana and Quinn were the best. And we all grew to love that ABD paddle! I am wanting an ABD paddle pin for all of us. :) Uncle Frank was so nice! It was such a special trip. I'm still not over it! I'm talking to my friends about going next year for one of their birthdays. Thank you for all your input for us! It helped add to our trip!

Stacia is amazing. She is a great artist, she has great stories and she knows way too much.

Speaking of pins.... Dose ANYONE have pictures of the pins given out on the tour! I don't want to wait until September and my tour to see them! Its driving me crazy.

Stacia is amazing. She is a great artist, she has great stories and she knows way too much.

Speaking of pins.... Dose ANYONE have pictures of the pins given out on the tour! I don't want to wait until September and my tour to see them! Its driving me crazy.

As a matter of fact, I took pics of them today. I will try to PM you as I am not sure how to add them here.

Stacia is definitely a character in herself. although I guess you'd have to be. amazing talent though. she did a mad hatter for someone and signed it addressed to him all in a script backwards. and she did it just as fast and smooth as she would have the opposite way (although I guess if I had to think about it, words are just images too).

her princesses are awesome too.

it's an odd thing about disney and their characters.. with a few exceptions, each character can be stylized in a completely different way by different artists. i've probably seen stitch done half a dozen ways.

Hey Brad ... I see you did tours of both Warner and Universal. If you could just do one, which would you recommend? Thanks.

consider i did both the VIP tour at Universal ($200) and the Deluxe tour at WB ($150)...

I couldn't really suggest one over the other. Universal does have the theme park aspect to it if that factors into it.

Otherwise it's kind of a give or take. Trying to compare the two:

Photography policy: Universal is very liberal with this, WB is far more restrictive but does allow it in some areas (exterior sets which includes ER)

Sets: Universal currently visits the soundstage for Life (or CSI I think) (no photography restrictions and able to walk through all of the sets). WB visited Pushing Daisies, Chuck, Two and a Half Men (sat in audience area only) and they recreated the Central Perk set from Friends (where photos were allowed)

Also exterior sets were visited. Universal does visit Wisteria Lane when not in production (which it was on this past trip) amongst its other streets that are frequently used but not typically decorated. Same with WB (usually photos were allowed except for when filming was going on). Universal also has the exterior sets for the Ghost Whisperer (which used to be the Back to the Future Courthouse area). WB has its own courtyard area which was used for a bunch of things including Gilmore Girls.

In addition, Universal visits the shops (sign, metal, etc), the prop warehouse (which is just overwhelming), maybe the foley stage. WB visits the shops plus scenic design (painting and digital). You also visit their props department but it's not quite as neat (at least what you see).

For lunch, Universal is a little pre-plated item (chosen off a small menu) at a counter service location closed off for the tour. WB deluxe dines at the WB commissary which is normally reserved for talent and VPs and up (it's a full service restaurant, entrees run about $20 or so (although everything is included in cost of the tour)).

WB is definitely the more serious and indulging of the two when it comes to the industry. Because they are a studio only, they only operate Monday - Friday. Universal operates 7 days a week but their touring may vary based on productions (for example, pretty much the only chance you'll have at the foley is not go on a weekend).

but ultimately I'd say it comes down to properties. if you're a Harry Potter, ER, Pushing Daisies, Two and a Half Men, Chuck, etc fan, go with WB. If you're a Life, CSI, Desperate Housewives fan, go with Universal (keeping in mind that you may not get to see what you want). Go with WB especially if you're into Potter though. The first stop is the WB museum which has two floors, the upper is dedicated entirely to Harry Potter and you'll see some amazing props there from each of the films.

and if you're a Pirates of the Caribbean fan, you can't go wrong at either. The films were shot at Universal (both exterior and inside the soundstages), but the metal work was done by WB (they have an item or two on display) and they have quite a few pieces of furniture at the WB props department (one thing I can say about WB props is they're impressive. Their initial collection came from Jack (?) Warner and his wife and were all real antiques that they ended up not wanting, so they donated it to the studio. There's a whole room of props that aren't allowed to go out because they value in the hundreds of thousands each, if not more. One piece is valued at 8-10 million.

by the way, if you had gone to my blog and the first days were missing which include reports and photos from the various studios, I fixed that on Friday I think, so check it out again.

can we use our Disney Rewards Card on this Tour in all the shops??

Didn't think to ask this previously?

it's a great question.. and i didn't have either so no reason to ask. i would suspect they would be usable since it's a function of the credit card processor which presumably is all the same anyway.

so i would assume yes, but until you get a definitive answer, i wouldn't count on it. you may be able to call MOG directly though.

Hi Brad ... Thanks for the detailed answer. I would love to do both, but don't think it is doable. I arrive Sunday night. I was planning on US on Monday. I don't think I have time to do WB on Tuesday. I think I'll let the boss (dear daughter) decide :rotfl: . I personally am leaning towards WB since I love HP, but then again, I love the rides at US Orlando, so it is a tough decision.

Hi again Brad ... Just talking to my daughter and I came up with this plan. On Monday we do the Warner Brother tour. On Tuesday we purchase the Front of the Line Day pass and go to Universal from 9 to 3. We get back to the hotel for a quick change then meet the group at 4. Do you think this is doable?

yeah, that's what Max did (universal before the ABD).

don't get lost comparing USO to USH though. ROTM is tons better at orlando. JPRA is probably better at Orlando too (although it's negligible).

don't get lost comparing USO to USH though. ROTM is tons better at orlando. JPRA is probably better at Orlando too (although it's negligible).

If we had the falling Jeep effect, ours would be soooo much better, but since we don't, ours is only marginally better.

Oh, and RotM is horrible in Hollywood. Just saying.

Woah... Trippy...

Does anyone know if you pre purchase the Disney Photopass on line , can that be used for the CD that you buy from ABD?

:confused3

Prepurchase? Hummmm....I am not sure. We are just now receiving our letter with the ABD photopass ID. It states we need to go to the website within 2 weeks of receiving the letter. It must be a special part just for the ABD pictures??

Oh! I have to tell you something that is new. If you enjoy going around the park and getting pictures! We had a photopass photographer give us the big overview. They now have new overlays! In front of the Haunted Mansion, you can hitchhike and they will add two hitchhiking ghosts. It turns out very cute! Your probably know about holding Tinkerbelle in front of the castle. You can go over by Nemo and they will do an overlay of you looking through a window. They also have a "roving" photographer in Fantasyland and will take you all over the place and take lots of shots. In CA Adventure there is Stitch with an icecream on a bench. It's cute! At Soarin, we pointed in the sky and the characters are soarin above you. They have others. Ask if you see them. They have examples on them to show off.

Barb

Thanks for your beautiful report, after reading it a couple of months ago it got me thinking doing this tour and I just booked it today for Nov 2009.

Lisa

consider i did both the VIP tour at Universal ($200) and the Deluxe tour at WB ($150)...

I see the WB VIP tour is now $195. WOW - up $45. since the summer. I am scheduled to take it on Monday

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter