"Look Through My Eyes" September 2011 18-Night Pre Trip Report

Rohais

DIS Veteran
"Look Through My Eyes"​

I'm sure we've all had it before. More than once. From family and friends alike.

"Why?"

A lot of people can't specifically say what it is about Walt Disney World that keeps them going back. What is it that keeps them spending thousands of £s a time to go somewhere that they've already been before. And, even when we know and try to explain, 'they' don't really understand.

I don't think you can unless you've seen it, experienced it...lived it...for yourself.

So what would you see if you took a "Look Through My Eyes"?

Walt Disney World, to me, is quiet. With Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, every day is full of noise. Some of it people can see...the stress, the anxiety, the panic. But, in truth, most of it is background noise. Like when you're watching the television and the picture is fuzzy. You try and keep watching, but can't see past the distortion. Thats what OCD is like, every moment of every day.

Except at Disney. There, everything is just calm. Even in July. Its like time stopping and everything just being completely still.

Thats why I'll forever keep going back. For my piece of perfect.

Whats yours?

Next Update: Cast Members, Trip Basics etc.

Good Question :thumbsup2

For me its the calming of the waves that is our normal everyday life. The second we board the plane we leave behind the worries and stress of the world and its just us being us. For the whole time we are away its just calm and I love it.
I often get asked about why not just get away in the uk but when we try that it doesnt have the same effect.
Maybe its the disney magic :goodvibes

Cast Members

GaryKayleigh5a.jpg

Me, Kayleigh, and my DF, Gary in 2009 at Animal Kingdom Lodge. This was taken a couple of days before we got engaged :lovestruc

Kayleigh2b.jpg

Kayleigh

Me! I'm 22 years old, 23 in May. I'm in my third and final year at university, studying LL.B (Hons) Social and Public Law. I'm hoping to be able to use my degree to work for organisations such as the Citizen's Advice Bureau. However, in the long run, I actually want to be a history teacher so, after graduating, I'm going to be undertaking a BA (Hons) History degree with the Open University so that I can work and study at the same time.

I - if you haven't already been able to tell - love Walt Disney World. From the planning to the attractions to the food to the atmosphere...I love it all.

My favourite parks, in order, are: Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom and then Hollywood Studios. My favourite rides include Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, Expedition Everest and Mission:Space. This is despite being completely petrified of heights and falling..

My favourite Disney films include Lilo and Stitch, Wall:E, UP, Mary Poppins, Beauty and The Beast, Sleeping Beauty and the new release Tangled :cloud9: I have far too many favourite characters, but they include Stitch and Tinker Bell.

Gary1a.jpg

Gary

DF! He has just turned 24 and is also in his third and final year at university. He is studying BA (Hons) Computer Games Modelling and Animation. He's hoping to work - eventually - for a games studio as a technical artist but is also considering teaching ICT in secondary schools as a backup.

DF's first and only trip to Walt Disney World was in 2009. During the lead up to it, I was trying to explain to him exactly WHAT WDW was...but he didn't quite understand the magnitude of it all. Now, whilst not exactly a die-hard Disney fan, is more than happy to go back again, possibly purchase DVC in the future and even get married there :lovestruc I found a good guy!

My favourite park is Magic Kingdom, as he says that its the first park you think of re WDW, especially with the castle. I have a feeling that it will become a tradition to make our first park day...a Magic Kingdom day. That is, of course, after a shopping day at Downtown Disney for me! DF doesn't exactly mind, he gets to munch on an Earl of Sandwich or two and a pink (yes, pink!) Goofy's Glacier.

His favourite Disney films include Wall:E, UP and Tangled. Really, anything to do with PIXAR or animation...

Holiday Details

Our dates for this trip at Thursday 15th September - Monday 3rd October. We'll be travelling down to London Gatwick the day before we fly, completeling VA's Twilight check-in and then staying overnight at a Premier Inn. Breakfast will be at the Premier Inn and then we'll be heading over to the V-Room, as we were given free vouchers for it.

Once in Orlando, we're going to be staying at my home-from-home, Port Orleans French Quarter. I'm really excited to be heading back here, especially as its been refurbished. We've requested a ground floor room in building 5, partly for medical reasons and partly because I love the location :cloud9:

We booked in June 2010, after eying up the free quick service dining offer for a short while. The trip was originally meant to be a short 10-night and quite cheap trip to celebrate our graduation and to allow us to get away after a
difficult couple of years.

However, it gradually evolved into the 18-night trip that it is today. We've also upgraded to the regular dining plan for just £300 extra + tips. We both really loved the dining plan in 2009, even if we didn't necessarily make the most of it. Also, we don't really get the chance to go out much, so usually have takeaways when there's a special occasion, so its going to be really nice to - essentially - have 18 dates :lovestruc I love the fact that its paid for in advance and you don't have to worry about it, other than tips, whilst you're there.

So, there are the basics of the trip! More to come soon!

Good Question :thumbsup2

For me its the calming of the waves that is our normal everyday life. The second we board the plane we leave behind the worries and stress of the world and its just us being us. For the whole time we are away its just calm and I love it.
I often get asked about why not just get away in the uk but when we try that it doesnt have the same effect.
Maybe its the disney magic :goodvibes

:goodvibes I definately think its the Disney magic! :wizard:

Personally, I can't simply sit by a beach etc and 'relax' as my mind starts working overtime :upsidedow At WDW, I like that you can relax....by being active :thumbsup2

Sounds great so far Kayleigh and it's nice to put a face to the name. :thumbsup2

I think for Dad and me WDW is a place to get away from everything and pretend we are kids again. :goodvibes

Sounds great so far Kayleigh and it's nice to put a face to the name. :thumbsup2

I think for Dad and me WDW is a place to get away from everything and pretend we are kids again. :goodvibes

Thanks! :goodvibes I think thats one of the draws of WDW...the ability to get away from the day to day responsibilities of life in the UK

Trip Details

This holiday started off as being a 'cheap' trip to celebrate our graduation and mark our last WDW trip for a few years. It was meant to be a 10-night stay at POFQ, with the free QSDP. It is now an 18-night stay at POFQ, with free dining upgraded to the DDP :cloud9: But, to be completely honest, the alteration has only cost us an extra £1000.

We booked this trip at the very start of June 2010 and I've been counting down the months, weeks, days, ever since. Now, we only have to wait...

6 months and 3 days! :wizard:

The Journey

We're leaving our home in Lincolnshire on Wednesday 14th September 2011, the day before we're due to fly to Orlando from London Gatwick.

My mom is driving us down, to save us having to take the National Express. In 2009, a 5 hour journey took us well over 7 hours via the National Express and, unfortunately, I don't travel well at the best of times :sick:

Check In

We'll be heading straight to the airport, to do Virgin Atlantic's Twilight Check In. Hopefully, we'll be provided with bulkhead seats due to my disability. They're not perfect due to the limited leg room, but its the best option save upgrading to premium economy. Somehow, I don't think Gary will agree to that... :rolleyes: If not, as long as I have an aisle seat and we're sat together, I'll be happy :cutie:

Premier Inn

As soon as Gary and I are checked in and our suitcases are on their way, we'll be going to check in at the Premier Inn. My mom is also going to be staying overnight at the hotel, to save her having to drive all the way back up again so soon.

In 2009, we stayed at the Premier Inn Gatwick South and really enjoyed our stay. It was extremely quiet, friendly and clean. The associated restaurant, The Gatwick Manor Pub, was also a highlight of our stay. Our evening meal was delicious and the staff couldn't be faulted. So, we automatically decided to stay here again for our upcoming trip. The cost, included a buffet breakfast in the morning each, was £86.50. We would pay for an evening meal for 3 adults on top of that cost.

Yesterday, a post was made regarding the £29 room offer currently being advertised by Premier Inn :surfweb: Although the offer is for the summer, I thought I'd have a quick check of prices anyway and, luckily, managed to find a great deal!

The hotel has now changed to the Premier Inn Gatwick Manor Royal. Its now going to cost us £97 but for the extra £10.50 we're having a three course meal, including an alcoholic beverage, each, as well as the breakfast. My mom's reservation is costing her £75 for the same package.

So, we've probably managed to save around £30-£40 by changing hotels and including the meal deal :yay:

V Room

When we booked our holiday, we were provided with a free voucher for the V Room. We used this in 2009, and really enjoyed it. It was quite hectic in there, however...maybe because it was the middle of August. We'll probably head for the V Room at around 10am and just relax before its time to head to the gate.

The Flight

Honestly, I hate flying. Well, its not so much the actual 'flying' part, but the possibilities of something going wrong. My nightmares are near enough always about diving into the ocean in an aeroplane :headache: So, I tend not to think about the actual flight itself that much.

I can never sleep during the flight and Gary won't because he wants to keep me company. As long as I have lots to keep me entertained, I'll be fine :thumbsup2 We've had our eye on the BlackBerry Playbook (similar to the iPAD) and our fingers are crossed that its released before we go on holiday. If so, we'll be taking that instead of a laptop. We'll also have plenty of magazines, logic puzzles, mp3 player and kindle...so we shouldn't be too bored.

Orlando International

I think I've read that they've got a new system for immigration. It will be interesting to see how this works... :upsidedow

I'm really hoping that everything goes smoothly in that we don't have to queue for long and that we don't have to wait for ages for our bags to appear. It took us over an hour and a half in 2009, because the carousel had broken...or something like that.

We'll then head for the Virgin Holidays desk and board the Mears coach! :yay: On our way to POFQ! :yay:

or those that are reading, thankyou! :goodvibes

Sounds great. You're right - there's now only a single queue at immigration apparently. It will be our first experience of that as well - we've always used the keep right rule before. We did a single queue at Chicago and although it was long it seemed to be more or less constantly moving so hopefully Orlando will be the same. :thumbsup2

A great start Kayleigh. You & Gary make a cute couple. :lovestruc

The immigration queue is now just one big long line that snakes around the hall. My advice is to try and get off the plane quickly and get in line asap. It seemed to move very quickly in January (although we were Prem Ec so were off the plane pretty quick) so hopefully it will be good for you too.

Looking forward to reading more.

Sounds great. You're right - there's now only a single queue at immigration apparently. It will be our first experience of that as well - we've always used the keep right rule before. We did a single queue at Chicago and although it was long it seemed to be more or less constantly moving so hopefully Orlando will be the same. :thumbsup2

I used the keep right rule last trip, 2009, and it worked wonders. I think it also helped that we were off the plane straight after UC and PE. Fingers crossed though that the new system works just as well :wizard:

A great start Kayleigh. You & Gary make a cute couple. :lovestruc

The immigration queue is now just one big long line that snakes around the hall. My advice is to try and get off the plane quickly and get in line asap. It seemed to move very quickly in January (although we were Prem Ec so were off the plane pretty quick) so hopefully it will be good for you too.

Looking forward to reading more.

:goodvibes Thanks for reading!

Great pre trippie, looking forward to reading more:goodvibes

:cutie: Thankyou!

ADRs

My ADR making day is on Saturday 19th March :yay: So, only two days to go. This is really sad, but I *love* making my ADRs. I've been sorting them out since we booked in June 2010 :headache: Here's what we're hoping for:

Friday 16th September: Raglan Road at 7:45pm
Saturday 17th September: Liberty Tree Tavern at 12pm
Sunday 18th September: Whispering Canyon Cafe at 6:30pm
Monday 19th September: Cape May Cafe at 7pm
Tuesday 20th September: Sci Fi Dine In Theatre at 12pm
Wednesday 21st September: Tusker House at 12pm
Thursday 22nd September: Sanaa at 12:30pm
Friday 23rd September: Rose and Crown at 7:45pm
Saturday 24th September: Boma at 9pm
Saturday 24th September: O'hana at 6:45pm
Sunday 25th September: Teppan Edo at 1pm
Monday 26th September: Yak and Yeti at 11:45pm
Tuesday 27th September: 50s Prime Time Cafe at 12pm
Wednesday 28th September: Boma at 6:35pm
Thursday 29th September: Nine Dragons at 6:30pm
Friday 30th September: Captain's Grille at 6:30pm
Saturday 1st October: Kona at 7pm
Sunday 2nd October: Raglan Road at 7pm

Great choices Kayleigh. I've got Teppan Edo down for dinner the day before you. I'll be slipping in a lunch at Sci-Fi and a breakfast at Boma as well. :thumbsup2

Fab pre-trippy so far! Love your ADR choices too, some of my faves are in there.

Sounds like you have an awesome trip planned.

For me, I think there really IS Disney magic - what else can make you feel so happy, so relaxed, so far away from any troubles... despite covering many miles each day walking in torturous heat :rotfl2: and spending a small fortune getting there!

It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't "get" it. It's my HAPPY place, it's warm and sunny, it's FUN, and you are looked after amazingly well. You can chill out, or get stuck in, whatever you feel like. And nowhere else I've ever been has ever come close to being as good.

Roll on September this year for you going back, and September next year for me going back hopefully!

Great choices Kayleigh. I've got Teppan Edo down for dinner the day before you. I'll be slipping in a lunch at Sci-Fi and a breakfast at Boma as well. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 Great minds think alike!

Ooh, that's my day too! Great choices. ;)

:wizard: Hope your ADR went well!

Fab pre-trippy so far! Love your ADR choices too, some of my faves are in there.

Sounds like you have an awesome trip planned.

For me, I think there really IS Disney magic - what else can make you feel so happy, so relaxed, so far away from any troubles... despite covering many miles each day walking in torturous heat :rotfl2: and spending a small fortune getting there!

It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't "get" it. It's my HAPPY place, it's warm and sunny, it's FUN, and you are looked after amazingly well. You can chill out, or get stuck in, whatever you feel like. And nowhere else I've ever been has ever come close to being as good.

Roll on September this year for you going back, and September next year for me going back hopefully!

Thanks! :goodvibes Fingers crossed for you going back September 2012! It really is a 'happy place', that seems to be the phrase that fits it best :wizard: I think I like the fact that its its own little enclosed country, so to speak. Own transport system etc etc. You don't have to go outside WDW, if you don't want to :rolleyes1

:yay: Woooooo! :yay: So, I was up until 2am watching Comic Relief...and refreshing the WDW dining reservation website :rolleyes1 DF finally forced me to go bed...but I was awake again at 6:30am! At 9:57am I was on my laptop, frantically refreshing the site until :yay:

It took my 7 minutes (yes! 7 whole minutes!) to make my first reservation as my login was screwing up, wanting me to call them - two seconds after they'd just sent me a new password :headache: In the end, I used my second email address to make a new login, and hey presto!

Anywho...I made 11 reservations and managed to get everything I wanted, at the times I wanted :wizard: So, so far we have:

Friday 16th September: Raglan Road at 7:45pm
Saturday 17th September: Liberty Tree Tavern at 12pm
Sunday 18th September: Whispering Canyon Cafe at 6:45pm
Monday 19th September: Cape May Cafe at 6:45pm
Tuesday 20th September: Sci Fi Dine In Theatre at 11:45am
Wednesday 21st September: Tusker House at 11:45am
Thursday 22nd September: Sanaa at 12:45pm
Friday 23rd September: Rose and Crown at 7:45pm
Saturday 24th September: Boma at 9am
Saturday 24th September: 'Ohana at 6:45pm
Sunday 25th September: Teppan Edo at 1pm

:cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter