Looking for Brutally Honest Opinions....

Uber kind of creeps me out. Not sure why.

Same here would rather rent a car when traveling, virtually never used taxis. Ubet/Lyft and all of those others are simply online taxi cab companies who skirt the existing laws by calling themselves 'ride sharing' sites. Getting into the car of a stranger with little/no background checks just isn't appealing to us. At least with established taxi companies they ride in official/clearly marked vehicles and have various licensing requirements.

Auto insurance companies do NOT cover you if you use your car for 'business' which in reality is what Uber/Lyft etc. is. I wonder if you get in an accident and/or someone is injured will you be out of luck? Have to imagine many who drive for such companies do not tell their insurance what they are doing and hope they never get caught.

Same here would rather rent a car when traveling, virtually never used taxis. Ubet/Lyft and all of those others are simply online taxi cab companies who skirt the existing laws by calling themselves 'ride sharing' sites. Getting into the car of a stranger with little/no background checks just isn't appealing to us. At least with established taxi companies they ride in official/clearly marked vehicles and have various licensing requirements.
I'm sure there are some places where the licensing requirements are more strict, but in Orlando the state requirements for rideshare drivers are MUCH more stringent than the city's requirements for taxi's.

In Florida, and indeed in most jurisdictions, the argument about background investigations is a phony straw man taxi advocates use. Uber/Lyft use the same requirements nationwide, but most local regulations are more about restricting the number of taxis and raising revenue for the city than anything else. A little research will make that clear.

Auto insurance companies do NOT cover you if you use your car for 'business' which in reality is what Uber/Lyft etc. is. I wonder if you get in an accident and/or someone is injured will you be out of luck? Have to imagine many who drive for such companies do not tell their insurance what they are doing and hope they never get caught.
Not a problem for passengers with Uber or Lyft. Both companies cover all rides for $1 million whenever there is a passenger in the car -- and that is also required by Florida law.

Drivers have exposure to large collision deductibles (Uber's is $1,000; Lyft's is $2,500), although you can buy gap insurance from a few companies to cover that.

Taxis have commercial insurance, but I'm not familiar with the policy limits.

Uber, in particular, does a great job with rider safety, but they do a terrible job of letting customers know about the good features that are included in their app. The codekids figure all riders will just poke around the app like they would and figure it out. The number of riders in the real world who actually DO that is roughly zero.

Instead of talking about legitimate, serious safety features, Uber runs stupid TV commercials encouraging women in labor to take an Uber to the ER!

Well, I am still turned off by their overall business model (claim the drivers are not 'employes' but contract people, skirting laws regulating taxis, etc.) so will stick to renting.

I'm not pro/anti taxi companies, but just think these online services could have been more forthcoming about what they really are. They still face legal issues in some places for that reason.

I'm late to the conversation here, but I'd just take DME, I mean you already have to get your luggage anyway (if you're checking luggage).

Uber/lyft are viable, but I just want to be able to check out on my way to Disney and I have gotten in too many ubers around my neck of the woods who obviously aren't locals because they just follow the uber route whereas my inside voice goes "YOU MORON, ONLY IDIOTS GO THIS WAY!"

Well, I am still turned off by their overall business model (claim the drivers are not 'employes' but contract people
Well actually we are independent contractors and I wouldn't have it any other way! One of the big advantages for drivers is the flexibility of driving when and where you want, accepting whatever rides you want, driving whatever car you want, etc. If I had to drive a certain shift, or in a certain area, I wouldn't drive.

Taxi drivers are also independent contractors in most cases. Very few taxi drivers are employees of a taxi company.
... so will stick to renting.
FWIW, we drive up to WDW from Miami so we always have our own car.

But if we didn't, I would also rent a car rather than using Uber. We use Uber when we are in the downtowns of major cities, but to me the WDW area is too spread out and there are too many things to do offsite to just rely on Disney buses or Uber/Lyft. Even when we stay onsite, we drive everywhere.

Do whatever is best, in your eyes, for you and your daughters. With that in mind, I love taking Uber/Lyft. My last few solo trips, I have either arrived and/or departed at very late hours and fall asleep shortly after getting into the car. Is that a good idea? Probably not but I wake up when we stop at the airport or at the resort I'm staying at and don't think much of it.
People can tell you until they're blue in the face to trust Uber, to rent a car, to wait for DME, etc but it's your vacation and you should start it out by being comfortable, whichever method that is. And have a great trip!!

They're more common in rideshare vehicles than you think, but I'm sure it varies a lot from market to market. Lots of us urge our fellow drivers to get a cam on social media.

Unless it's mandatory for all cars or three's a way to only request vehicles with cameras, it doesn't count as a standard feature.

Not necessarily perfect. My (local) can driver once was somebody is known in high school. Man has a (albeit minor) criminal record. I stuck to one company after tgat. Company closed about the time rideshare arrived in my area. Owner has a serious cocaine issue.
Instead of talking about legitimate, serious safety features, Uber runs stupid TV commercials encouraging women in labor to take an Uber to the ER!
about
Okay, maybe not pregnant (but then, why not, given that women in labor do take care to the hospital? :)), but Boston-area paratransit will not drop off or pick up at the ER - even though it's simply and solely more convenient to one of my doctors than the main entrance Lyft, on the other hand, had no issue whatsoever driving me there when I was sick :).

Okay, maybe not pregnant (but then, why not, given that women in labor do take care to the hospital? :)), but Boston-area paratransit will not drop off or pick up at the ER - even though it's simply and solely more convenient to one of my doctors than the main entrance Lyft, on the other hand, had no issue whatsoever driving me there when I was sick :).
This is one of those complex issues which do not respond to simplistic solutions. Sick people need to get to medical treatment. Companies who provide transportation don't want to decline any paying customer.

Governments provide some medical transport services, but unfortunately governments often look at medical transports as a revenue source rather than a needed service. So there is often a fee -- whether by ambulance or some other transportation option -- and of course, nobody wants to pay.

I wish more governments handled these situations like our local fire departments do. They do not charge for emergency medical response unless the patient is transported -- we have a line item on our taxes specifically to pay for rescue services. If they transport and the patient has medical insurance, an ambulance fee is added to the hospital bill. Whatever the insurance pays is accepted as full payment and the patient pays nothing. Rescue units transport only to hospital ERs, and they go to the closest appropriate facility, so there are no rides to appointments or chauffeur trips to your favorite hospital. As a community, we do not want people reluctant to call for medical help when they need it because they are afraid of the cost.

Transportation companies try to offer services because it is a market opportunity -- and in fact, medical transportation is a large and fast-growing business for rideshare companies. Both companies have partnerships with medical provider groups, and we often get ride requests to take someone to an appointment or back home. For routine patients, those rides are usually not an issue. The rider may require a little more time, may have equipment to manage, etc, but it's usually fine.

The problem arises when the rider is an emergent patient. Emergent patients require qualified medical personnel -- not only at the hospital, but also en route to the hospital -- but in most markets people frequently call for rideshare or taxi because it's cheaper than an ambulance.

There are two problems with emergent riders for rideshare/taxi drivers. One is that there is enormous civil liability. You are transporting them for compensation, so if your state has a Good Samaritan law it does NOT apply.

And the other problem is that very few drivers have the training to evaluate a person's medical condition and make a sound decision to transport or not. I'm an EMT; I can make that call with confidence. I don't hesitate to transport very sick patients who are non-emergent, and I don't hesitate to say no if they need rescue. But very few drivers have that background.

This subject comes up very often on driver social media, and I always tell drivers to decline medical rides if they have any hint that the rider might need emergency assistance.

This subject comes up very often on driver social media, and I always tell drivers to decline medical rides if they have any hint that the rider might need emergency assistance.
interesting (the whole post, really.) I had Lyfted to urgent care, where they said they could treat only one of my issues, and advised that i go to the ER. Lyft to the rescue again!

interesting (the whole post, really.) I had Lyfted to urgent care, where they said they could treat only one of my issues, and advised that i go to the ER. Lyft to the rescue again!
And there is almost no problem in that scenario.

The medical staff at the urgent care evaluated you. They would not have let you leave by Lyft if you needed ambulance transport. They would make you either go by ambulance, or sign out AMA. If there had been a problem during the ride, the driver has the defense of relying on a doctor's opinion that you were okay to go in a car.

That said, I would have zero hesitation in refusing a ride even in those conditions if I thought the patient needed a rescue ride. Pobody's Nerfect, and I have seen medical folks (including myself) make mistakes, so the final call is mine.

For a medical emergency you should call 911.....not a taxi !!!
Of course, but people don't always do what they should do.

And sometimes they don't know there is an emergency. The only medical-related ride I've ever declined was like that. A woman called Uber to take she and her elderly mother to urgent care because the mom was feeling dizzy. I recognized right away that she might be having a stroke, did a quick assessment, called rescue, and they took her to a stroke center.

And sometimes they don't know there is an emergency.
Exactly. Urgent Care advised that I go to the ER because I had several issues/symptoms that they weren't equipped to treat, and only one that they were. And it was Friday evening, so I wouldn't have been able to see my physician until at least Monday, if not later.

DME doesn't change their timeline just because you arrive at night.
Their target is for the bus to depart when the bus is full or when the first guest has been check in for 30 min.
Be it at 12 noon or 12 midnight, doesn't matter, their "goal" is the same.
So, in theory, the most you should wait is 30 min. Now, do they miss that goal at times? Sure. Nothing runs perfectly 100% of the time.
But majority of the time, yes it does.

Now, where you can really have questions is not departing the airport, it's dropping off at Disney. This is why we frequently opt to do Uber instead of DME. It can take 30 min to drop off everyone if you hit the really unlucky bus drop off order. This is the part that is outside your control and impossible to predict ahead of time.

It's never crossed my mind to think of Uber/Lyft as a risk to my family. I've never felt remotely at risk in one, not when it was me alone, me with the girls or anything. Before Uber could access the airport for pickups we did do town car service before and tell you the truth, didn't care for it. The service, car and driver felt no better than an Uber XL does and it cost double. So yeah, never again on that one. Don't see the point.

I do agree with all the others that if it's going to cause you extreme worry the whole time don't do it. Use ME

Really? Auto insurance companies do NOT cover you? Gee, I wonder why my insurance agent was selling when I talked to him last week. (Yes, they asked me directly if I needed coverage for using my car for a ride share service. Since I don't use it that way, I don't need coverage, but they will cover me LOL!)

Really? Auto insurance companies do NOT cover you? Gee, I wonder why my insurance agent was selling when I talked to him last week. (Yes, they asked me directly if I needed coverage for using my car for a ride share service. Since I don't use it that way, I don't need coverage, but they will cover me LOL!)
19disnA is correct -- regular personal auto insurance will NOT pay a claim if the policyholder is driving for-hire. In fact, some insurance companies will cancel your personal policy if they learn that you are driving rideshare...even if you have no claims. Some companies are now asking if policyholders are driving rideshare, and you might just have dodged a cancellation bullet.

Both Uber and Lyft provide varying levels of insurance coverage for drivers. There are three periods covered: 1) when you have to app on, but are waiting for a ride request; 2) when you have accepted a ride and are on your way to pick up your passenger; and 3) when the passenger is actually IN your car. In Florida, those three periods of coverage are mandated by law, and when there is a passenger aboard, the required coverage is $1 million -- which both companies provide anyway nationwide.

A driver can also get various types of additional coverage for rideshare including full commercial insurance, and in some jurisdictions various levels of such insurance are required by law.

Just to validate the OP's decision, once I arrived around 5:00am by myself. There was one other family from my flight who were sent to one bus. I was put on another bus. I only waited for about five minutes before the driver hopped on board and told me I was getting the entire thing to myself! It was quick and easy, and I slept almost the whole way.

In another case, we arrived after midnight. They said, worst case, we'd wait up to 20 minutes for others to show up, which is how long you'd probably wait during peak hours anyway for them to group parties together. They put me us with three other people (one couple, one solo). We were all going to different resorts. But even then, it was still pretty convenient for the price... so I wouldn't have found it worth paying, even though I use ride services all the time.

I've wanted to find a great transportation service since we started going to Universal and my DH prefers not to deal with driving on vacation. We've tried a couple of different towncar companies and have never really been happy. One driver was kind of skeevy, 2 were what I'd consider aggressive drivers, one had road rage and swore in front of our kids. I'm very impatient and hate waiting for DME, but we've decided it's just less stressful for us to use DME for Disney and rent a car for Universal so we don't have a bad/weird experience to start the trip.

I've wanted to find a great transportation service since we started going to Universal and my DH prefers not to deal with driving on vacation. We've tried a couple of different towncar companies and have never really been happy. One driver was kind of skeevy, 2 were what I'd consider aggressive drivers, one had road rage and swore in front of our kids. I'm very impatient and hate waiting for DME, but we've decided it's just less stressful for us to use DME for Disney and rent a car for Universal so we don't have a bad/weird experience to start the trip.

Our last car service was from a Disney resort to the port. He drove like a maniac and talked on the phone to his wife while cursing the entire trip. We called to complain and the limo company told us he was one of their best drivers. We rented a car to go back to the airport. Never again in Orlando

A couple of trips ago I was in the Speedway station Near the boardwalk. A limo driver for one of the well-known and well promoted town car services was in line behind us curious because there was a line to check out and he was going to be late for his 2 PM pick up. I looked at my watch it was 2:15. he was already late before he bothered to get in line. And listening to him vent and rant and rave about how stupid everyone was certainly didn’t make me feel like that was a company I want to book with

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter