Looking to share campsite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I do live locally and we go alot but that doesn't allow us to use the pool or bring my childs bike or cook out. I used to do alot of horse camping with hundreds of people and those campers were the kindest you ever want to meet I am not getting the feeling from these responses that Ft Wilderness is the same. Problems just need solutions.

Let me come up with another solution. Actually yes, you can ride a bike around Ft. Wilderness if you are not staying there. There are folks on this board that do it quite frequently. Just park in the day lot, bring your bike, and ride away!! Of course you would have to load it up in the evening and take it home with you.

Also, there is a pavilion near the pool with a few grills there. I don't think it would be a problem if it wasn't already reserved by a group.

The only thing you couldn't do is swim in the pool or actually drive your vehicle in the camping loop area.

Also, I think the standoffishness is due to your being fairly new here. If you had posted sooner, and joined in the "group" per se, somebody might find this proposal a bit more adventuresome. I've got a trip coming up in just under 3 weeks. If you want to pay for part of my site for a night or 2 just to use the grill and get a resort ID, it is actually something I might consider. Let me think about it and ask my traveling companion, and I'll get back to you. (Ooops, just remembered, you were asking for nonsmokers, sorry)

I don't agree with the sharing of a capsite option. It's just not fair. Many of us have to scrape by for years to make a trip to WDW. Yeah it's expensive, but if staying at FW is a must for you, I'm sure you can scrape up the extra $$ if you really wanted to.
You only want to stay 2 nights, and it doesn't sound like you want to visit the parks, so you only need about $150-$200 depending on the site you want.
There are many ways you could come up with that much, in a short enough peroid of time, to not have to wait until fall.
Some suggestions that I have used myself to help my family save the $$$$
Try not eating out as much,
Selling unwanted stuff on E-bay,
If you use a credit card, get a Disney Visa, and use it to pay for as much as you can -bills, groceries, ect. Just don't overdo it, and make sure you keep the balance where you can pay off the total when it comes in every month (you get Disney reward dollars, that are good for anything Disney, including a campsite, I'm sure)
There is a thread on here somewhere about the craziest thing you are doing to save money for Disney, you may find some helpful hints on there.:confused: (I don't know how to post the link, someone who's computer savvy help me out here)

Don't get discouraged, and don't think that everyone on here is out to get you, there are very friendly and helpful people on this board. They have helped me out on many occassions. I just belive most of the people on here belive as I do, that you should do as the majority of everyone else does and sacrifice what you can, for the reward of FW.
If you can't come up with the $$$ take your kid to the park or the beach. My kids would kill to live close to the beach, and save your $$$ for FW for next year, add a day at MK while your at it. Saving and Planning is 1/2 the fun. Okay planning is 1/2 the fun, the saving sucks, but we do what we can for the mouse! :thumbsup2

I didn't know people brought $250 dollar grilles, thought Disney had them at Campsite. Obvioulsy you would have license plate of vehicle. This is not piggybacking a reservation, this is other people who want to camp and sharing the site who didn't know each other before. It would be the same as if I had a friend who wanted to go camping and we went and each had our own tent and split the costs, I unfortuanely don't know anyone who would want to do this, they rather stay in a hotel. Also Disney puts a limit on how many people are on each campsite as they do in hotels. This whole ad was to meet an new friend with a child who was in the same situation. I am sure there are many extended families out there who share campsites already. Why should Disney care if I sleep there or go home at night and come back. I would love to sleep there and if I owner a motor home with a private bathroom I would, or if I had a significant other in the same tent I would but I am not about to wake my child a few times a night to go to a bathroom or leave alone, sleep on an air mattress where I will not be able to get up with cramping issues. The only thing that ruins Disney for people is cast members with poor attitudes.

Yes some people do carry $250 grills as well as $100 lounge chairs, $50 tables, $40 coffee makers, $30 electric skillets and the list goes on.

I tried to be nice, but what you are asking to do IS ILLEGAL. Yes, it is sub-leasing. As a person who does own rental units, I can tell you all about sub-leasing as I had to make sure I was covered in my contracts. The only way to make it legal would be to come as a campers guest and no money between you and the camper could change hands.
Imagine this, I as a camper, since each site has a tent pad, decide I will sub-let to 3 extra campers. I could actually make a prophet while staying on site for free. Or better yet, I just rent all the sites at Disney and sub-let 3 families per site and live high on the hog.

We've tried to help you and give you suggestions, but you are not willing to listen. You think your idea is the only correct one, well ITS ILLEGAL.

Yes some people do carry $250 grills as well as $100 lounge chairs, $50 tables, $40 coffee makers, $30 electric skillets and the list goes on.

I tried to be nice, but what you are asking to do IS ILLEGAL. Yes, it is sub-leasing. As a person who does own rental units, I can tell you all about sub-leasing as I had to make sure I was covered in my contracts. The only way to make it legal would be to come as a campers guest and no money between you and the camper could change hands.
Imagine this, I as a camper, since each site has a tent pad, decide I will sub-let to 3 extra campers. I could actually make a prophet while staying on site for free. Or better yet, I just rent all the sites at Disney and sub-let 3 families per site and live high on the hog.

We've tried to help you and give you suggestions, but you are not willing to listen. You think your idea is the only correct one, well ITS ILLEGAL.

Whoah, I wouldn't go that far. Disney allows up to 10 people per site. What that makeup of people is, is unknown, and Disney doesn't care as long as the equipment/tents fit on the site according to their guidelines, and as long as they get their money.

I have many good friends that live in the Orlando area, and I have "added" them to my reservation more times than I can count, just so they can join me for late night EMH. (Magic Kingdom from midnite to 3am is a beautiful thing!!!) They usually buy me dinner, or pay me the extra adult charges.

There are also folks that I know in the Disney online community that have done the same for myself and my husband when we were staying off property.

As long as room occupancy levels are not exceeded and we are following all other rules at Disney, it doesn't matter!!

The main objection most folks are having is simply because we don't know you!! Give it a few months, get to know this bunch, and let us get to know you. It may work out eventually.

I am surprised at how unhelpful and negative everyone is.

I'm surprised too. There is nothing illegal or even unethical about renting a site with someone else, that's just silly! There is nothing that says I have to be related to (or even friends with) everyone on my site. As far as that goes, there is nothing to say other people in my party have to contribute to the rental. Sharing the expense of a site rental is not subletting!

You think there are risks involved, fine, you have every right to not share your site. You might actually be helping our community here by sharing concerns that might not have occurred to others. But let's not vilify someone for thinking outside the box. :sad2: Heck, I'm just glad she is looking for a way to "pay her share" to enjoy the Fort... there are plenty of folks who would just show up and take like they owned the place. Kinghorse, I'm very sorry for the way you've been treated and I hope you find a way to enjoy Fort Wilderness.

:santa:

Lot's of varied responses. I don't think anyone is trying to be mean, just thinking it through out loud. There are always things that can go wrong.

I read your request as, "Can I come to your campsite and make a nice dinner for you?". Sounded like a nice offer. We've had visitors before, lots of people do.

And value season starts August 9th, still far away, but a little closer than September. Add AAA discount (20%) and it's less than $40 a night with taxes.

I do like your local Mom's group idea though, maybe even one of you kid's friend's families. I know if I lived close, we'd be taking friends a lot more than we do now!

(Oh yeah, something else you have to offer in trade. You're a local. You can offer your tour guide / concierge services! Both for Disney and the surrounding area.)

1 adult and 1 child would like to share site and cost with someone. We only want to use BBQ once and all the facilities but will not be sleeping there, live close enough to drive. Non smoking families with no pets only. Thanks

Kinghorse, when are you looking at going to the Fort?

I think this is a GREAT idea....and, most of the negative comments are NOT coming from the board regulars. How many people rent a site for the RESORT PERKS and never even step foot on the site???? At least sharing a site gives 2 families the opportunity to get the do the fort in a way that may not otherwise be affordable. Ive often suggested that people renting sites simply for the perks come to this board to offer the site itself to someone who would love to stay at the fort but cant afford the price

KUDDOS TO YOU....and I definately hope you find someone to share a site with. You said you're goin in the fall...PM me with your dates...I have a site reserved for October and I would be more than willing to add you to my reservation for you to store your bikes at my site and use my sites grill if you like.

Oooppss....I was so blown away by the harsh replies to your request that I forgot the details....I DO smoke......and my site will consist of me, my wife, and 2 of my daughters. But to be honest...we probably wouldnt be at the site on the night you choose to grill, so I doubt my smoking would effect you if you're interested.

Oooppss....I was so blown away by the harsh replies to your request that I forgot the details....I DO smoke......and my site will consist of me, my wife, and 2 of my daughters. But to be honest...we probably wouldnt be at the site on the night you choose to grill, so I doubt my smoking would effect you if you're interested.

There's usually so much smoke coming from the charred remains of Rog's burgers that no one can tell if he's smoking or not.

I guess an apology is in order, I really didn't mean to sound an attack so direct or personal to Kinghorse or others, Sometimes I may put my children and grandchildrens safety as number one priority. People will use many tactics and charades to gain trust...I'm truly sorry, as a "non regular" newbie, I will keep my opinions and safety concerns to myself. Be careful out there.

If it were any other place, I would completely agree with no strangers, safety to family first...but Fort Wilderness is somehow different. It harkens me back to yesteryear when it was ok to talk to people you didn't know, there was no fear or danger with strangers. We helped our neighbors and looked out for one another.

Fort Wilderness and the Magic Kingdom make me feel like I've stepped back in time and I like that feeling when I'm there. I guess it makes me want to help out someone at the Fort, even if they are a stranger.

I'm surprised too. There is nothing illegal or even unethical about renting a site with someone else, that's just silly! There is nothing that says I have to be related to (or even friends with) everyone on my site. As far as that goes, there is nothing to say other people in my party have to contribute to the rental. Sharing the expense of a site rental is not subletting!

You think there are risks involved, fine, you have every right to not share your site. You might actually be helping our community here by sharing concerns that might not have occurred to others. But let's not vilify someone for thinking outside the box. :sad2: Heck, I'm just glad she is looking for a way to "pay her share" to enjoy the Fort... there are plenty of folks who would just show up and take like they owned the place. Kinghorse, I'm very sorry for the way you've been treated and I hope you find a way to enjoy Fort Wilderness.

:santa:
I read this thread and was thinking the exact same thing! Sharing the expense of a site is no different then people sharing a resort room- or a disney cruise stateroom for that matter! And I've seen threads about that before where someone is going single rate on the cruise and it costs almost double so might as well double up with someone else going solo. Geesh.. this is no different!
Now I might not understand wanting to go to all this trouble SOLELY for the use of the pool- since everything else can basically be done there (except drive the vehicle in- but honestly don't they just allow one vehicle per site? So the OP would have to find someone who has no pets, doesn't smoke, and won't have a vehicle on site?) but to each their own. If the OP wants to try to find someone to "share" the site with to be able to use the pool- there's no law against it! It is no skn off anyone's back (the guests or Disney) because it's no different than sharing a site with family, friends, etc. They don't make you sign saying the other people in your party at your site is blood relatives or friends you've known XX amount of years, do they? :rotfl: And as long as that amount of people can stay at that site- it's not hurting guests or Disney to share the site- period.

I really don't get the safety issue either. Just because their name would be as a guest of the party staying at that site does NOT in any way make their items any less safe as any other time- anyone can park in the overflow and come on in and steal your $250 grill. :confused3 So I'm not really getting what difference it makes..

I think it may be difficult to find someone to stay at the site at the same dates the OP wants, doesn't smoke, doesn't have pets, and doesn't mind someone else using their site to cookout or whatever- but if the OP can find someone to do it, more power to her. it's not breaking any rules as long as the person limit is not over the max for the site. It is NO DIFFERENT than sharing a resort room or a stateroom on the cruise- no different at all.

Wow...I hardly speak to much on the boards...But some of these comments are over the top...If i were going down to disney anytime soon i would not have a problem sharing a site...But like it has been said before these posters are new ...what can i say....

Hi,

I have been catching up on all the posts this morning since I was last on this board yesterday. (please excuse all my typos, new keyboard and I didn't proofread). For all of you who left positive responses, thankyou!

1. The comment about the smoking was due to the fact if I ever was at the campsite the same time as another family, I would prefer my child not be exposed to smoke and also I have asthma, even though outdoors smoke drifts, not trying to offend anyone.

2. Dogs, I am a true animal lover and have a 16 year old macaw (raised from a baby), a 33 year old horse (old style Morgan) and a couple years ago lost our elderly Dobe (17). My child is frightened of animals she does not know and it takes time to get used to. So as to not upset anyone I thought this a good idea, not to share with someone with dogs.

3. It is possible to go to Fort Wilderness and use most the facilities without paying but I never felt that was right. We do go over and I will pay for pony rides and a meal so we can enjoy the atmosphere and use the playground which I am comfortable doing. I don't know how we would get a bike from the parking lot to a nice area to ride and then back again, would be o much easier for my child to have at a site and ride around there, we also love to swim and go to the movie and cookout.

4. In sharing a site I was hoping to find a family so again if we were at the site ever at the same time perhap the kids could play.

5. I remember many horse camping trips I went on where everyone paid at set price and when arriving just picked any site and shared the facilities. There was alot of comraderie with others and there were hundreds of people from several states. I thought the camping atmosphere would be fun for my child. We are local and I cn only get away for a couple days at a time. We only do the parks during special events like MNSSHP, MVMCP.

6. Thank you to those who were nice enough to try and work something out.

We love Fort Wilderness and I first went to Disney in 1975. We can never get enough and now that we have moved to the area, it is hard to keep away.

I blame, oh wait no more politics or religion.
Pete, stop it...this is not Ghandi's fault!!!

KINGHORSE.....the majority of us here have a very tight comraderie...we pick on and poke fun of each other, but its all in good fun. I sincerely hope that the direction this thread attempted to lean to doesnt turn you off as a disboard camping forum member......its obvious that MOST of us would be more than willing to help you and your daughter out with a "home-base" for the fort. Ive seen many of the posters here offer the sand pad behind their RVs to whoever may need it....Ive been offered this myself on severaloccasions!!! I am proud to call the folks of this board MY FRIENDS, although Ive never met many of them yet. Please give us a chance to prove to you that we are just as friendly and helpful as the group of "horse campers" that you've grown accustomed to.....this thread is definately not the NORM of how the people of this board react.

TEAM BRADFIELD....you are a very cautious and careful parent...thats NOT A FAULT and you shouldnt feel the need to appologize for that. But I also agree with what was mentioned above that the Fort is...somehow...different. Of coarse, anything CAN happen, ANYWHERE in the world, at any given time....but as far as probabilities...there are very few at the fort. Thats not to say we shouldnt ALWAYS have a watchful eye. Please dont feel compelled to keep your comments to yourself....we all need an occassional reminding that WDW isnt REALLY a magic land, as much as it seems like it is at times.

Wow I am one of the most cynical and suspicious people I know and some of these comments gave me pause. The OP is not asking to borrow your kids or sleep with them. They simply want to pay half for a site to use it for a portion of the day. I think this is a very responsible and economical way to bring enjoyment to their kids life.

I am a single parent too and normally bring my sister along to help with my handicapped DD. But we probably wont be able to go since she has made other plans. I have no problem with what the OP is asking here. If I were going during a time they wanted I would share. It's no different than sharing with family or friends. As far as it being illegal is ridiculous. As long as this person was on the ressi then they are also renting from Disney and not subletting.

I agree you should try to make friends here first and then try to work out something. By the way when did you want to try to do this ? I may have missed it.

Hi ,

At the Fort aren't the campsites pretty close together, so what is the difference is someone is on part of someones site or the site next to it. The proximity is still close. I appreciate all the kind words from most of you and I try to understand the people who are negative but I don't think they quite get the idea. I am local and can go anytime since I work at home. I am also only looking for a couple days not a whole week. I like the idea of being able to go every so often instead of planning a big trip once a year. In the value season the rates are low enough, on the other hand maybe there is another small family on a tight budget who would have appreciated some financial assistance to help pay for their vacation. Again, I don't see how sharing a campsite can cause a problem when all the sites are close to each other, you just have another neighbor a few feet closer and one who will not be there at night, at least not until Disney puts private toilets at each campsite, now there's an idea and they can charge for it.

Pete, stop it...this is not Ghandi's fault!!!

KINGHORSE.....the majority of us here have a very tight comraderie...we pick on and poke fun of each other, but its all in good fun. I sincerely hope that the direction this thread attempted to lean to doesnt turn you off as a disboard camping forum member......its obvious that MOST of us would be more than willing to help you and your daughter out with a "home-base" for the fort. Ive seen many of the posters here offer the sand pad behind their RVs to whoever may need it....Ive been offered this myself on severaloccasions!!! I am proud to call the folks of this board MY FRIENDS, although Ive never met many of them yet. Please give us a chance to prove to you that we are just as friendly and helpful as the group of "horse campers" that you've grown accustomed to.....this thread is definately not the NORM of how the people of this board react.

TEAM BRADFIELD....you are a very cautious and careful parent...thats NOT A FAULT and you shouldnt feel the need to appologize for that. But I also agree with what was mentioned above that the Fort is...somehow...different. Of coarse, anything CAN happen, ANYWHERE in the world, at any given time....but as far as probabilities...there are very few at the fort. Thats not to say we shouldnt ALWAYS have a watchful eye. Please dont feel compelled to keep your comments to yourself....we all need an occassional reminding that WDW isnt REALLY a magic land, as much as it seems like it is at times.

you can have my sand pad any day brother.

We are going the weekend of the 24th to 25th, I think my grandson is going with us, he would love someone to play with, he is 4. I have no problem sharing our site, but my daughter and I do smoke. We do try to be considerate of people who don't and will stay away. If you would like to join us let me know, I always feel the more the merrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter