Losing points in November and disappointed in DVC

I confess to not understanding the Reasoning going on with the loss of points and feel victimised by the contract decisions where I’m losing a chunk of points I’d have never lost under ordinary times.

I rented out my points through dvcstore.com. I gave them access to my account, had to sign a few PDF documents, and that was it. It was better than just losing my 72 points that were going to expire in December.
I’ve rented points through one of the rental companies and never had to give them access to my account. They contacted me and I booked it myself. I would not feel comfortable giving someone access to my account. Are you sure you weren’t being scammed?

I'd never give a stranger access to my account.
I have a different password for every site, all randomly generated, and once the rental is completed that password will get reset and never used again.

I’ve rented points through one of the rental companies and never had to give them access to my account. They contacted me and I booked it myself. I would not feel comfortable giving someone access to my account. Are you sure you weren’t being scammed?

Giving my credentials to them wasn't mandatory, it is an option which is a specialty of The DVC Store. If it was some run of the mill place, like the place I just bought my new resale contract from whose URL is in the site filter, then I wouldn't have allowed it. Since it is The DVC Store, a major board sponsor with deep connections to Pete, I felt pretty confident that I wasn't being scammed. Why would they risk the good name of The DVC Store / The Timeshare Store, Dreams Unlimited Travel, and The DIS itself to scam me out of my measly 160 points at Saratoga Springs? I have better things to worry about. Also, because of Disney's new hyperactive security alerts I know every time my account has been logged into, and that was only the day they created the reservation for me.

We had to cancel two different trips. One of which was for my son’s high school graduation. The other was a family reunion for my husband’s eight siblings and spouses that haven’t all be together since their mom passed away 9 yrs ago. We were able to put back the borrowed points, but we had 120+ points that we were going to lose. We decided to gift them to some relatives who live in Florida and gave two little boys, who would never have the opportunity to stay on property otherwise, 4 days at AKL.

I am more upset about the money we lost on the airline tickets because “someone” waited too long to cancel, but that is our own fault.

I just want to say that Disney is so very safe. We did a surprise 3 night trip 3 weeks ago. Booked it 2 days out. Flew on Delta (middle seats empty). Distancing on the ME bus. Distancing in the resort food court (Poly), every ride line, everywhere! Mask wearing enforced and they will ask you nicely to fix it if your mask slips off your nose. Partitions between lines in queues. Gift shops are one door in, one door out and they count the # of people in the shop.
We are 57, I have controlled HBP and I'm obese (just a little LOL, 31 is my BMI). DH has kidney disease. Off we went. And we now have spring break booked end of March.
Hope this makes someone feel safer.

Hello Is any one worried about annual passes coming back. I am very concerned. It will cost me almost double for park tickets. Just love having my annual pass. Please let me know if you have any concerns about getting the annual pass back. DVC should give us a heads up. I just think dvc should let us know something.

DVC can't make Disney start selling Annual Passes. They probably know exactly what you know... nothing!

I have a different password for every site, all randomly generated, and once the rental is completed that password will get reset and never used again.

Giving my credentials to them wasn't mandatory, it is an option which is a specialty of The DVC Store. If it was some run of the mill place, like the place I just bought my new resale contract from whose URL is in the site filter, then I wouldn't have allowed it. Since it is The DVC Store, a major board sponsor with deep connections to Pete, I felt pretty confident that I wasn't being scammed. Why would they risk the good name of The DVC Store / The Timeshare Store, Dreams Unlimited Travel, and The DIS itself to scam me out of my measly 160 points at Saratoga Springs? I have better things to worry about. Also, because of Disney's new hyperactive security alerts I know every time my account has been logged into, and that was only the day they created the reservation for me.

That faith and a few bucks will get you a cup of coffee..

I agree with you. The DVC Store (aka TTS) has been in business since 1994 and is very reputable. The risk is very minimal, IMO. If I wanted to rent points, I would not hesitate to add them to my account as an Associate. (After the rental is complete, I would just remove them from my account).

For those who may not know, an Associate is a person named by the Purchaser or Purchasers who is only authorized to make reservations using the Disney Vacation Club Member's Home Resort Vacation Points.

I agree with you. The DVC Store (aka TTS) has been in business since 1994 and is very reputable. The risk is very minimal, IMO. If I wanted to rent points, I would not hesitate to add them to my account as an Associate. (After the rental is complete, I would just remove them from my account).

For those who may not know, an Associate is a person named by the Purchaser or Purchasers who is only authorized to make reservations using the Disney Vacation Club Member's Home Resort Vacation Points.

It is very likely however, a violation of your terms of service with DVCMember.com. You almost always agree to never share your login credentials when signing up for an internet service. Generally, doing so can result in suspension of your account (in this case at least your DVC account, and quite possibly everything linked to it - including Disney+ memberships and your MDE account - since you are likely sharing all of that. I haven't looked at the terms of service for DVCmember.com, but in my former career I used to read a lot of them, and EULAs, and its pretty much always there. Its also BASIC not to ever ask for that (also did some IT security work).

I haven't been on much lately, so if there's thread on this already, please let me know. I'm wondering what people are doing about the points they may lose on November 30th.

I had a trip schedule for 4/3-4/9 and, obviously, that got cancelled. I have a Sept UY, so my points were set to expire on August 31st and those are being extended to November 30th. But, in my opinion, I don't feel that our current situation has improved enough that I could justify the lengths I would have to go through to force a trip by Nov. 30th. And, quite honestly, I just don't feel good about being at WDW right now. I wish I could - I really do. And as much as I have tried to see if I could make this work, DH is an absolute "NO" on going to WDW right now.

So now what? My options are either 1) put them into RCI on or before October 17th (so I'll wait until the last minute to do so if I have no other choices) or 2) lose the points. Have other people just given up hope and will do RCI? I know my whining is not going to change the minds of the executives over at DVC, but is that it? Two emails from Terri in April and May, and nothing else? Thanks, DVC members, one of our highest affinity groups, but you're SOL? Sure, this cancellation was out of Disney's control, but it was also outside of mine. Why am I the only one holding the bag here? (I've emailed MS basically all of this - not that I expect them to do anything about it.)

Sorry...just feeling sorry for myself and for anyone else in this predicament.
I was in the same predicament. I just rented them all out. Here is my biggest gripe...moving them to rci does not decrease the strain on dvc at all unless they have some sort of agreement with rci where rci will not make those points available until 2022 -23 or at least a certain number of points

It is very likely however, a violation of your terms of service with DVCMember.com. You almost always agree to never share your login credentials when signing up for an internet service. Generally, doing so can result in suspension of your account (in this case at least your DVC account, and quite possibly everything linked to it - including Disney+ memberships and your MDE account - since you are likely sharing all of that. I haven't looked at the terms of service for DVCmember.com, but in my former career I used to read a lot of them, and EULAs, and its pretty much always there. Its also BASIC not to ever ask for that (also did some IT security work).
I'll certainly take your word for that.

However, I was under the impression that an Associate was given his/her own login credentials and does not need the actual owner's login information. If not, then I have no idea how DVC could prevent an Associate from accessing areas of the owner's account that they have not been granted permission to access. If I am wrong, I would appreciate it if someone would correct me.

However, I was under the impression that an Associate was given his/her own login credentials and does not need the actual owner's login information. If not, then I have no idea how DVC could prevent an Associate from accessing areas of the owner's account that they have not been granted permission to access. If I am wrong, I would appreciate it if someone would correct me.

Yeah, if you make someone an associate, you are not sharing credentials - they use their own credentials to access your account. Colin said he gave them his credentials. That is not good.

rent the points out. I put my points up 2 weeks ago and within 3 days I had 6 people looking to rent.
People are looking for deals and wanting to go.
I rented mine at $14 pt for POLy.

Did you rent them through the DIS? We have never rented out points but are considering it. Thanks!

I rent my own points andhave been very lucky to have great renters.

I do feel for the OP - I really do. But Disney has to put some limits on point usage. They are already in a near disaster situation with the amount of unused points in the system. There is simply no way to make up room space for all those points in the system - a lot of people are going to end up screwed out of they're points eventually - and the longer this goes on - the more it will happen. Some points are going to be lost.

As others have said - rent them out for a last minute booking. Lots of availability right now.

Back when David was getting himself added as an Associate to a contract to make the reservation, DVC changed the rules on Associates. I'm surprised that people can still be added as an associate to multiple contracts, even if just for a few hours or so. If the Timeshare Store (and I'm not saying it does) has a friend at DVC who overlooks that, that just isn't right.

From the Member Website:
Associates are subject to all the rules and regulations to which Club Members are subject, including, without limitation, the prohibition of the use of Vacation Accommodations for commercial purposes. Associates are also subject to the following:
1)Associates may only be Associates for a maximum of four (4) Memberships.
2)The adding of an Associate to a Club Member’s account is subject to the sole and absolute discretion of DVCMC.
3)An Associate can be removed from a Club Member’s account, by DVCMC in its sole and absolute discretion, for violating Disney Vacation Club rules.

Last edited:
Back when David was getting himself added as an Associate to a contract to make the reservation, DVC changed the rules on Associates. I'm surprised that people can still be added as an associate to multiple contracts, even if just for a few hours or so.
I know the Associate rule change made David's former business model unworkable. I don't remember the details. FWIW, I couldn't find anything on the Members' website that indicated limitations on who could be added or limits on how many different Memberships an individual could be added as an Associate. (If I really cared, I'd call and ask , LOL). I've never rented points and I'm not much of a renting fan in general. I'm glad it is available for those who need to rent occasionally, though.

If you are worried about losing points, just settle for booking and staying at resort even if park closed. It's wierd..I managed to get a VGC reservation with booking just 2 months ahead. I did have to call the dvc service line and they manually found me a reservation before my points expired. And, better, if they cancel the reservation ..the agent promised the points would move to the next use year since reservation is just 1 week prior to expiration.

The purpose of DVC for Disney is to move the cost of maintenance and the financial risk to buyers, versus wdc.
I agree with that, in addition to having a captive audience who will come back time and time again, and spend more money. None of us could have predicted the damage COVID would cause, though. I lost a few points but I'm still happy with my DVC. I'm planning a trip late 2021 when my 11 month window opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter