Lost my wallet tonight:(

That sucks! Hope you have checked everywhere and hope you already spoke to your bank.
Yes. Bank account is closed and new one is open. All credit cards have been closed. All bill pays have been redirected. Ordered a new license. I feel way less stressed. It still sucks. I’m probably out $200 plus a nice coach wallet. But then I remember in the big picture how little this is. Really it’s the time and aggravation that are way worse than the money.

Still need to order checks, fix my direct deposit, get a new target red card, priority pass, and figure out what recurring payments I had on my credit cards that need to be relinked.

ouch... i also did the same thing, lost my wallet. I was lucky to have found it after someone super nice turned it into security. I was so thrilled.
Im someone who is very stingy about my wallet, i always check like every 10 mins to see if its there...
i know how it feels!

OP, do you have a passport you could use as photo ID until you can get a new DL?

I work in Philly and used to be very nonchalant about what I carried in my bag: every open credit card, ATM, checkbook, etc. There are always some kind of robberies on the news and I got to thinking how screwed I'd be to replace all that stuff. I slimmed my wallet waaaaay down. I only carry my 1 cc that we use to buy everything. Before my FSA was depleted, I carried that card too and that's it.
Dh bought each of us a safe that uses our fingerprints to open and bolted it to our closet floor. I keep all cards that aren't regularly used there, along with passports, birth certs, SS cards, etc. So at least I know it's moderately safe from amateur thieves and I can very quickly retrieve these items when needed. Before, I would be digging through my bedroom drawer thinking, "Where the heck did I put that birth certificate??!!"

Maybe once per year I wish I had my ATM card on me but it's so, so rare that we ever use cash, pretty much tip $ while on vacation and that's it. It wasn't worth the risk of carrying it. I hope you quickly get everything settled and life returns to normal. It's already a crazy busy time of year & just don't have time to deal with more BS to do. :hug:

My passport expired in 2006. I’m actually getting a new one in a few weeks. DMV is mailing me a new license and I think I can survive until then.

I did go to target and security was nice enough to review the tapes and said I put my wallet back in my purse. So it fell out either in the parking lot or the cart and someone picked it up.

I’m so glad I don’t keep my gift cards in my wallet. Really it could have been way worse and it’s not that big of a deal. I also found out when all this was going on my poor mom was admitted to the hospital for a blood clot in her leg—didn’t find out until yesterday. Really puts my problem in perspective.

So one of my amexes was used at the local Walmart several hours after i closed the account. Amex is going to get me the information on the transaction. I guess I can give it to the police??? Still no hope of recovering it but at least I’m certain some scum bag has it.

ETA: just remembered my hsa card was in my wallet. It was used two days ago at 408 am in Walmart for $225. Ugh this is a pain in the butt!

Last edited:
So one of my amexes was used at the local Walmart several hours after i closed the account. Amex is going to get me the information on the transaction. I guess I can give it to the police??? Still no hope of recovering it but at least I’m certain some scum bag has it.

ETA: just remembered my hsa card was in my wallet. It was used two days ago at 408 am in Walmart for $225. Ugh this is a pain in the butt!
I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry. I was really hoping a nice person would return it rather than a scumbag get it :(

Me too. Now I'm sort of anxious that this person has my address (off my license). I may need to trade the Havanese in for a German Sheppard.

I'm desperately trying to get through to Kroger. Have 5700 fuel points on my card which was in my wallet. If they're pathetic enough to use my HSA, I put nothing past them. But I cannot get through. May just have to go into the store tonight.

Me too. Now I'm sort of anxious that this person has my address (off my license). I may need to trade the Havanese in for a German Sheppard.

I'm desperately trying to get through to Kroger. Have 5700 fuel points on my card which was in my wallet. If they're pathetic enough to use my HSA, I put nothing past them. But I cannot get through. May just have to go into the store tonight.

Oh goodness, I didn't even think of someone having your address :(

Definitely go into Kroger if you cannot reach them by phone. I have gone to CS before with fuel point issues and they have a way of getting right through to someone...

If they didn't steal your keys, too, you have little to worry about as far as home security.

However, it does mean they have a ton of personal info (your birth date is more worrying) that is usually good enough to start new credit, so I'd put a credit freeze (or at least an alert) on all my accounts for the next 12-24 months...and personally, I'd keep it longer since I wouldn't mind having to uber-verify myself if it meant someone wasn't ripping off my identity wholesale...

Well let's hope they use it at a location that has good security cameras. One issue with retail stores is most have junk security cameras. My son's bike was stolen from the bike rack at Target once (along with a friend's bike) and their camera only had a shadow, you couldn't even tell the persons race or gender. Interior cameras hopefully are better and will lead to an arrest.

Keep an eye out on local Facebook yardsale boards for them to list the wallet for sale.

Most homeowners policies will reimburse a certain limit of stolen cash, payout for the wallet/purse, and also pay out in loss fees (and wages if you take time off work) when there is unauthorized use of credit cards, etc.

Well let's hope they use it at a location that has good security cameras. One issue with retail stores is most have junk security cameras. My son's bike was stolen from the bike rack at Target once (along with a friend's bike) and their camera only had a shadow, you couldn't even tell the persons race or gender. Interior cameras hopefully are better and will lead to an arrest.

Keep an eye out on local Facebook yardsale boards for them to list the wallet for sale.

Most homeowners policies will reimburse a certain limit of stolen cash, payout for the wallet/purse, and also pay out in loss fees (and wages if you take time off work) when there is unauthorized use of credit cards, etc.
I need to look into my homeowners coverage. It was a very nice coach wallet and fairly new so someone may try to resell. Thanks so much for these ideas.

It looks like I may be out the $225 spent on my stolen HSA card. I needed to report it stolen within 2 business days. My wallet went missing at 7:30 PM Thursday and I called them Monday at 6:30 AM. I wonder if that's within 2 days or not???

Last edited:
It looks like I may be out the $225 spent on my stolen HSA card. I needed to report it stolen within 2 business days. My wallet went missing at 7:30 PM Thursday and I called them Monday at 6:30 AM. I wonder if that's within 2 days or not???

I would say it is! 7:30pm on Thursday means Friday, since it's after business hours. Saturday & Sunday won't count, so Monday would be the 2nd business day.

Today I logged into my Wells Fargo account to find that Wells Fargo put through two checks yesterday (total of $240 at Target and Walmart) on my closed account??? In 10 days they'll have my funds back??? Why bother closing my account if you are still going to put the checks through? I'm so mad right now. Everytime I feel like I'm on top of this I have to fix something else.

Today I logged into my Wells Fargo account to find that Wells Fargo put through two checks yesterday (total of $240 at Target and Walmart) on my closed account??? In 10 days they'll have my funds back??? Why bother closing my account if you are still going to put the checks through? I'm so mad right now. Everytime I feel like I'm on top of this I have to fix something else.

You should add this to your police report (the police might be able to get copies of the checks for handwriting and maybe prints)...if the person starts racking up enough "theft", this gets into felony areas (vs misdemeanor areas) and police might care...

The fact they are still trying to find ways to use your funds should also spur the cops on...

You should add this to your police report (the police might be able to get copies of the checks for handwriting and maybe prints)...if the person starts racking up enough "theft", this gets into felony areas (vs misdemeanor areas) and police might care...

The fact they are still trying to find ways to use your funds should also spur the cops on...
Yes. I called the police but unless I can confirm they were used in my county they don't care (or at least that's what it seems like). Until I talk to Wells Fargo's fraud department (cannot talk to them until tomorrow at 7 according to WF), then I'm hoping they can tell me where and when the checks were used (more than Target and Walmart). So far they are up to $550 plus my wallet and $130 in cash (and a book of stamps!). I think in VA it's a felony over $200. But the thing that concerns me is there were four checks between the two WF cashed. Hopefully WF does not let those go through.

I'm trying to figure out how best to protect my identity since this person is pretty brazen and has my address, birthday, name, etc. I'm debating between a credit monitoring service like lifelock or just putting a freeze on my credit.

I'm so sorry. I was really hoping a nice person would return it rather than a scumbag get it :(

Thank God for good, honest people!

I once left my phone on the seat of the shopping cart and didn’t realize it until I got home. I raced back to the store and it wasn’t in the cart. I went into customer service and some kind person had turned it in.

I also dropped a credit card on the ground at a gas station and didn’t realize it until I was about 20 miles down the road. Ran back and another nice soul had turned it in!

OP....I am so sorry for what you are going through. It has made me determined to be more vigilant with important stuff (as you can see from above, I can be a bit spacey).
I hope everything works out for you and they catch the person who did this.

Thank God for good, honest people!

I once left my phone on the seat of the shopping cart and didn’t realize it until I got home. I raced back to the store and it wasn’t in the cart. I went into customer service and some kind person had turned it in.

I also dropped a credit card on the ground at a gas station and didn’t realize it until I was about 20 miles down the road. Ran back and another nice soul had turned it in!

OP....I am so sorry for what you are going through. It has made me determined to be more vigilant with important stuff (as you can see from above, I can be a bit spacey).
I hope everything works out for you and they catch the person who did this.
Thanks!

And in all honesty, I have done plenty of stupid/scatter-brained things before but generally lucked out. I definitely need to be much less spacey and more aware of what I'm doing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter