Lost my wallet tonight:(

Before I write this, please know I'm not saying this to try to garner any praise or thanks! @havaneselover I was downtown yesterday and found a wallet with $600 cash in a parking garage. I was (by the luck of Facebook) able to find the owner and return the wallet to him! I immediately thought of you and am actively trying to send any good karma points I got your way so that you can get everything resolved and the thief gets caught!
So glad for that person that you found it!

I've just been reading your post and it's horrible what you've been going through. Hope you can get it resolved as much as you can.

Earlier this year someone went to the post office and changed our address. They then opened a credit card with our name but it would go to their address. Luckily I caught it pretty quickly but it's crazy what people do - and how easy it is for them to do it. What made me so mad though was something similar to what you said. When the police came they couldn't do anything because the person was out of state. Mine was also a federal crime tampering with the mail but it never seemed to go anywhere. We even had the person's name and address but we never found out what happened. They said we would be contacted if there was anything to tell or for us to do and of course we never heard back.

I've just been reading your post and it's horrible what you've been going through. Hope you can get it resolved as much as you can.

Earlier this year someone went to the post office and changed our address. They then opened a credit card with our name but it would go to their address. Luckily I caught it pretty quickly but it's crazy what people do - and how easy it is for them to do it. What made me so mad though was something similar to what you said. When the police came they couldn't do anything because the person was out of state. Mine was also a federal crime tampering with the mail but it never seemed to go anywhere. We even had the person's name and address but we never found out what happened. They said we would be contacted if there was anything to tell or for us to do and of course we never heard back.
That's so aggravating. When you are a victim of a crime like this, it's so incredibly unsettling. By ignoring this stuff, they just allow the bad guys to victimize more innocent people.

I did have a detective from the city of Richmond call me today and she was able to find tape from Target of the couple using my checks and told me what they bought (a croc pot and an Oster appliance). She said they tried one of my cards first but it was declined (got to love that Target didn't then get suspicious and look carefully at the ID and realize it wasn't me!). I'm hoping to pass this information on to the county where the wallet was stolen (and where there were two stolen checks used and two credit card transactions). I will say the city has been the best--maybe because they assigned it to a detective.

That's so aggravating. When you are a victim of a crime like this, it's so incredibly unsettling. By ignoring this stuff, they just allow the bad guys to victimize more innocent people.

I did have a detective from the city of Richmond call me today and she was able to find tape from Target of the couple using my checks and told me what they bought (a croc pot and an Oster appliance). She said they tried one of my cards first but it was declined (got to love that Target didn't then get suspicious and look carefully at the ID and realize it wasn't me!). I'm hoping to pass this information on to the county where the wallet was stolen (and where there were two stolen checks used and two credit card transactions). I will say the city has been the best--maybe because they assigned it to a detective.
I have been following along ... that is GREAT news. I hope they catch the scum. I wonder if they can also grab the parking lot footage and see the licence plate on the car they drove away in.

I have been following along ... that is GREAT news. I hope they catch the scum. I wonder if they can also grab the parking lot footage and see the licence plate on the car they drove away in.
Good thinking. I'll ask her next time I speak with her.

I also contacted one more city where one of my checks was used. It's about 45 minutes south of me and they want me to come in. Ugh. I emailed them all of the information and the contacts at the other police departments, police report nos., bank statement showing the transaction, copy of my drivers license, etc. so hopefully that's sufficient. They seemed concerned that I was making this up.

While I have zip sympathy for this couple, they aren't buying the kinds of things I would think they'd be buying. A crock pot and kitchen appliance?!? Certainly not high value resale items. It seems they are buying things they need or buying for someone else. And to use your HSA card seems to imply they needed some meds. Obviously, they still need to be caught. Not saying I agree with what they have done at all or that they should escape punishment. I feel sad that people are in such need and have to resort to stealing.

While I have zip sympathy for this couple, they aren't buying the kinds of things I would think they'd be buying. A crock pot and kitchen appliance?!? Certainly not high value resale items. It seems they are buying things they need or buying for someone else. And to use your HSA card seems to imply they needed some meds. Obviously, they still need to be caught. Not saying I agree with what they have done at all or that they should escape punishment. I feel sad that people are in such need and have to resort to stealing.
This was the smallest check ($70 or so). There a few for almost $300. HSA card is just a debit card. You can use it to buy anything--tv, video games, etc. You just are on your honor that it was used for eligible expenses.

They might be in need...or they might just like living on someone else's money instead of their own...I'd say the latter just by the desire to skip town every day to use a new check or CC in a new place...they've probably done this forever to lots of folks, stealing the wallets and using their contents til the cards stop working or the money runs out, and then moving on to the next "mark, and OP is finally trying to put a stop to them ruining a lot of people's lives...

VA is known as a state that throws the book at you for this type of stuff (each separate $200+ theft is a felony and this couple seems to be adding them up, on top of the initial wallet theft and identity theft crimes)...and I hope they find this couple and do that again, here...

Last edited:
Last time i thought i lost my wallet... i went through the process of canceling MOST of my cards including my all important debit card only to have wife find my wallet on a coach in a spare room.. one of the dogs had taken it, chewed on it a bit but didn't like the taste of it...

This was the smallest check ($70 or so). There a few for almost $300. HSA card is just a debit card. You can use it to buy anything--tv, video games, etc. You just are on your honor that it was used for eligible expenses.

Ah, ok, our HSA had to be medical but I think I remember you saying yours was through Wells Fargo and they didn't verify anything.

Ah, ok, our HSA had to be medical but I think I remember you saying yours was through Wells Fargo and they didn't verify anything.
Optum Bank. It’s just a standard debit card. It’s getting sock drawered when I get a new one. I can pay for expenses with a credit card (and earn points:) and reimburse myself.

I’m also thinking my Wells Fargo debit card is getting sock drawered. I think you can use the app to get money out of the atm somehow.

My county’s PD has investigated 1 of 4 fraudulent transactions and has a picture of the lady using my card at Walmart. Unfortunately he couldn’t see her license plate because of her headlights but has three more transactions to check out. He did show me her picture and asked if I recognize her which I didn’t.

My county’s PD has investigated 1 of 4 fraudulent transactions and has a picture of the lady using my card at Walmart. Unfortunately he couldn’t see her license plate because of her headlights but has three more transactions to check out. He did show me her picture and asked if I recognize her which I didn’t.

That's a really great first step! Hopefully more will follow from that!

I hope they have good luck following the leads.

Can you take the photo to the store where it was stolen and ask if she might be anyone who works there?

Can you take the photo to the store where it was stolen and ask if she might be anyone who works there?
Good question. He did not have a copy for me. I may ask him if he checked with Target where it went missing (and is right next to the Walmart where he has the picture of her) to see if they recognized her. At this point I'm about 90% sure this woman didn't find my wallet, she took it. She seems to know what she's doing and is not returning to the same store more than once with the exception of the 7-Eleven.

My county has a Facebook page that they post pictures of people using stolen cards (and other crimes). They have identified many people using this method and locals recognizing the individual.

Good question. He did not have a copy for me. I may ask him if he checked with Target where it went missing (and is right next to the Walmart where he has the picture of her) to see if they recognized her. At this point I'm about 90% sure this woman didn't find my wallet, she took it. She seems to know what she's doing and is not returning to the same store more than once with the exception of the 7-Eleven.
I left my card at a drive through once. There were charges on the card before I got back to pick it up. The grocery store where it was used was able to give me a CD with the video surveillance of the person using the card. I took it back to the fast food restaurant and they confirmed it was one of their employees. BTW..... the card was back in the manager's office for me to pick it up the next day. She apparently just took it on a joy ride (4 or 5 places) then returned it. The local PD wasn't really interested. I disputed the charges and got my money back and left Burger King to figure out how to handle their employee.

Got three collection letters today from target for $1800 in checks written on my closed account. Three more still to come according to them. Target was super nice about it when I explained the situation. I have to have six affidavits notarized and sent back to them. The fun never ends!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter