Lost my wallet tonight:(

Yes! I have two checks cashed at 7-Elevens in Chesterfield (I know the location), and know the Targets the checks were cashed at (Stafford Hills, Short Pump, White Oak). Plus my credit card and debit card were used at Short Pump Walmart. They also wrote a check at Walmart, but I'm not sure which one at this time. So I have three police departments involved (Henrico, Chesterfield, Richmond) which probably doesn't help but it is what it is.

I did see on the 7-Eleven checks that the person gave them my drivers license. I guess the person looks just like me??? And they did write a phone number on those checks but I'm sure it's made up.

Wells Fargo told me basically when they opened up the new account it was done incorrectly because it's attached to the old account. Basically that's as good as leaving the old account open. Ugh.

Actually, the person probably just has your skin color and similar sex...since licenses can be years old, pretty much all the other info would be out of date for many people or they wouldn't look close enough to see resemblances...

As for which police department I'd give all the info to (even from the other counties), it would be the one the wallet was stolen from - everything else is a continuation of the original crime. They have added ID theft to the felony theft if they used your license, so you should be continuing to send info the police's way and ask for an update, now that this person has got to be on some store's security camera...

Actually, the person probably just has your skin color and similar sex...since licenses can be years old, pretty much all the other info would be out of date for many people or they wouldn't look close enough to see resemblances...

As for which police department I'd give all the info to (even from the other counties), it would be the one the wallet was stolen from - everything else is a continuation of the original crime. They have added ID theft to the felony theft if they used your license, so you should be continuing to send info the police's way and ask for an update, now that this person has got to be on some store's security camera...
The county where the wallet was stolen will not take the information on the checks being used in the adjacent county and city. The best bet may be the checks cashed at 7-Eleven but they totaled less than $200 so they wouldn’t even confirm that they would investigate:(

I love USAA because their fraud dept does everything. When my card was used, USAA called ME before I even realized the charges myself, and initiated the investigation, asked permission for Secret Service to access my account and contact me. Secret Service did contact me via phone. Basically, USAA called me and asked "have you used your debit card at three different gas stations on xx street this morning? He literally hit three gas stations on the same street with my card within 30 minute time frame.

I still get periodic updates on the case via mail now that the guy is in jail and I am on the victim list. In this case my card info was stolen from a skimmer at a gas station. My paperwork says he was charged with 17 counts.

Correcting the link I posted earlier: https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/p...multiple-identity-theft-and-credit-card-fraud

Last edited:
The county where the wallet was stolen will not take the information on the checks being used in the adjacent county and city. The best bet may be the checks cashed at 7-Eleven but they totaled less than $200 so they wouldn’t even confirm that they would investigate:(

I'd call the state office and mention this crime crosses multiple counties and involves serious identity theft and see if they can help, since it's still continuing...(I would also mention all the county police offices you have contacted, who you were working with there, and all the crimes you are already aware of)...

https://www.oag.state.va.us/divisions/criminal-justice-public-safety/major-crimes-emerging-threats

Wells Fargo Fraud dept needs to initiate the investigation under financial crimes that could become a federal case depending on this person's history and how much evidence is brought up against them. These "professional" thieves know they have a limited amount of time to use your information so I am sure they are working on stealing info from the next victim. These folks do this for a living so you will not be the only victim.

I'd call the state office and mention this crime crosses multiple counties and involves serious identity theft and see if they can help, since it's still continuing...(I would also mention all the county police offices you have contacted, who you were working with there, and all the crimes you are already aware of)...

https://www.oag.state.va.us/divisions/criminal-justice-public-safety/major-crimes-emerging-threats
Good idea. The guy across the street is a detective with the adjacent city. Maybe if I see him outside I’ll get his advice.

That would make me upset enough to start calling up the ladder. Your county has political people who may give your police department a call if you contact them regarding the issue. It may not be their usual 'practice', but I've seen enough to know that things will get done if you make some calls or send some emails if you are not getting the assistance you need.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. People really suck.

My Chase bank account was hacked using my social security number two weeks ago. Chase fraud automatically froze my account before they could do anything besides change my password. It's been nothing but a headache. I was affected by the Equifax breach so I'm thinking that's how my SSN was used to get into my Chase account. The credit monitoring they offered is a joke so I ended up putting a freeze on my credit reports. Chase has been a really good bank to us if you are looking to change.

Another check went through (Target--converted to ACH) today in another city. Luckily it went through to the closed account which now has a negative balance which I won't stress account since WF created this mess. At least my new account is secure.

Unfortunately it looks like it was cashed Tuesday and this account wasn't fully closed until Thursday so I still have another couple of days of dealing with this.

Then I'm thinking there will be checks that get returned and I'll have collections going after me. I guess I need a copy of the police report.

Well the good news is Wells Fargo has reimbursed me for $950 of the $1100 in checks they cashed. Waiting on the ones cashed at 7-eleven. Everything is almost back to normal. Getting a wallet from my sister today. Still waiting on Amex to replace three cards. I called my county’s police department and spoke with a really nice officer who basically said they really didn’t have enough info (the checks cashed in my County were converted to ach at targets so they have no time info). I hope this person gets caught too. So far they have gotten about $1500 of merchandise plus my cash. But I’m not optimistic.

One of my big lessons has been Wells Fargo customer service people are not so helpful/competent. Their fraud people and bankers in branch were great though. Next time I’ll skip the 800 number and go right to the branch.

Well the good news is Wells Fargo has reimbursed me for $950 of the $1100 in checks they cashed. Waiting on the ones cashed at 7-eleven. Everything is almost back to normal. Getting a wallet from my sister today. Still waiting on Amex to replace three cards. I called my county’s police department and spoke with a really nice officer who basically said they really didn’t have enough info (the checks cashed in my County were converted to ach at targets so they have no time info). I hope this person gets caught too. So far they have gotten about $1500 of merchandise plus my cash. But I’m not optimistic.

One of my big lessons has been Wells Fargo customer service people are not so helpful/competent. Their fraud people and bankers in branch were great though. Next time I’ll skip the 800 number and go right to the branch.

I'm glad things are getting resolved, and I appreciate you sharing the story here. After my ATM/debit card was compromised about 10 years ago and it was such a hassle dealing with the bank, I resolved to only use credit cards for in-store purchases. I keep an ATM card but only use it at an ATM machine, and almost always for foreign travel. When we opened our last checking account (the one we use for direct deposit and paying bills) we decided not to even get any checks. There have been a few occasions where I've needed to get a money order for something that I couldn't pay directly on-line, but otherwise we haven't missed not having checks. And I definitely don't miss reconciling the checkbook register!

I'm glad things are getting resolved, and I appreciate you sharing the story here. After my ATM/debit card was compromised about 10 years ago and it was such a hassle dealing with the bank, I resolved to only use credit cards for in-store purchases. I keep an ATM card but only use it at an ATM machine, and almost always for foreign travel. When we opened our last checking account (the one we use for direct deposit and paying bills) we decided not to even get any checks. There have been a few occasions where I've needed to get a money order for something that I couldn't pay directly on-line, but otherwise we haven't missed not having checks. And I definitely don't miss reconciling the checkbook register!
Oh, gosh. Another lesson for me is definitely not to take blank checks out of the house. And no cash unless absolutely necessary.

Oh, gosh. Another lesson for me is definitely not to take blank checks out of the house. And no cash unless absolutely necessary.

I've managed to scare my (adult) kids away from cash/checks/debit cards . . . The credit card companies just seem so much better at dealing with fraud--both catching fraudulent charges and quickly reversing any charges that do get through.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Years ago I had my wallet stolen. Had to replace EVERYTHING, put a fraud alert on my accounts, replaced my driver's license, cc's, checking account, savings account, etc. Then got a bill from T-Mobile. The thieves had bought a cell phone using my ID and put over $400 of text messages on it. The phone number was still active so I gave it to the police... who said they couldn't do anything because they didn't have the staff to deal with it. Awesome. At least I was able to fill out some legal form and send that in with the police report to T-Mobile so I wasn't responsible for the charges. It was a huge pain though and I've kept a closer eye on my credit reports since that happened. I was lucky in that nothing else showed up other than that cell phone. I hope you get this resolved and it sure would be nice if law enforcement would work harder to catch people who do this!!

So sorry you are going through this. Is is possible you left the wallet at the self checkout yourself? Target has a lot of videos there. I only say this because twice this fall since I've use those self checkouts at our recently remodeled Targets I've had to turn in cash that people forgot to grab after doing a withdrawal. I think those self checkouts make people more absent minded since you have to do more of it yourself.

So sorry you are going through this. Is is possible you left the wallet at the self checkout yourself? Target has a lot of videos there. I only say this because twice this fall since I've use those self checkouts at our recently remodeled Targets I've had to turn in cash that people forgot to grab after doing a withdrawal. I think those self checkouts make people more absent minded since you have to do more of it yourself.

I think she said earlier that Target reviewed the security tapes for her and said the tapes showed her placing her wallet in her purse. I know what you mean though, I just found some cash back that someone had left the other day at one of those machines. I gave it to the employee working the self checkouts and she thanked me and said she'd bring it to customer service. It was only $6, but if it were me I'd be ticked at myself for leaving it there and would probably check to see if anyone had turned it in.

Last edited:
I think she said earlier that Target reviewed the security tapes for her and said the tapes showed her placing her wallet in her purse. I know what you mean though, I just found some cash back that someone had left the other day at one of those machines. I gave it to the employee working the self checkouts and she thanked me and said she'd bring it to customer service. It was only $6, but if it were me I'd be ticked at myself for leaving it there and would probably check to see if anyone had turned it in.
Correct. Target security reviewed the tape and said I put the wallet in my purse. So something happened between me leaving self checkout and getting in my van.

I did talk to the officer investigating this today. Gave him the times and stores my credit cards were used and the dates and stores the checks were used. He said he’d go by Walmart tomorrow and check the security videos.

Not to hijack this thread but it is on topic with what the OP is dealing with. The person I referred to earlier who was burglarized is my sister. It happened December 30, 2016. As I mentioned before, my brother-in-law found his tv himself. Well, this weekend they were able to locate my sister's ipad. They had set it to lock when someone tried to access it and it would send them a message through find my iphone. So nearly a year later someone finally tried to use it. It showed the location on a map with a pin. They were able to google the address and see who lived there. They called the police in our county. Who knows what will happen since its in another state. At least it helps to know it is locked and they can go there to question someone. There is so much red tape, its just mind boggling. The very worst part about this is they took my mother's wedding rings. Those can never be replaced.

So OP the fact that things keep coming up for you is not surprising. Also, it doesn't seem fair but you have to stay on top of this, as you have been because you have to advocate for yourself. Best of luck to you. I hope this all gets straightened out quickly and I hope they catch these people so that justice can be served.

Before I write this, please know I'm not saying this to try to garner any praise or thanks! @havaneselover I was downtown yesterday and found a wallet with $600 cash in a parking garage. I was (by the luck of Facebook) able to find the owner and return the wallet to him! I immediately thought of you and am actively trying to send any good karma points I got your way so that you can get everything resolved and the thief gets caught!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter