• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Bands

EEK - no scanning my I-Phone

My understanding is that we'll have 3 options

1-buy a magic band, it will work the way it always has.

2-use 'ticket card' media, it will also work the way it always has.

3-use your smartphone to scan the sensors. It will now (theoretically) work like a MB, although I don't know if it will do the 'remote' scan that automatically adds on ride pics. I don't see how it can unless you have MDE open and 'on'.

It's going to to be MBs all the way for us, even if we have to pay for them.

Are you saying you wish they had this capability now? It works great at Disneyland. It’s definitely coming to WDW.

I love actually getting an MP on my phone. I hate using my phone to scan MP (take it from purse, unlock screen, find the scan code, scan, close it, put it back in purse). Too much hassle and too much chance for butterfingers me to drop a phone. I prefer to use the cardboard ticket media (keep in pocket, scan, put back in pocket).

Are you saying you wish they had this capability now? It works great at Disneyland. It’s definitely coming to WDW.
I LOVED Disneyland, and during spring break in April 2019, we didn't even need Max Pass. Disneyland just isn't nearly as crowded as WDW.

However, there were two things that I really missed in Disneyland...the Disney Dining Plan and Magic Bands. We use our Magic Bands for EVERYTHING. I hated having to go into my purse for everything, and having to take out my phone all of the time. I prefer to keep it in my purse unless I'm taking a photo. If I could take a photo with my Magic Band, I'd do that too!

We haven't been on any Disney property since that Disneyland vacation because we were unable to go to WDW in June 2020. I cannot wait for our July 2021 trip to use my new anniversary edition Cinderella Magic Band!

It's going to to be MBs all the way for us, even if we have to pay for them.
I hate using my phone to scan MP (take it from purse, unlock screen, find the scan code, scan, close it, put it back in purse). Too much hassle and too much chance for butterfingers me to drop a phone.
THIS 100%

I love actually getting an MP on my phone. I hate using my phone to scan MP (take it from purse, unlock screen, find the scan code, scan, close it, put it back in purse)...
I LOVED Disneyland, and during spring break in April 2019, we didn't even need Max Pass. Disneyland just isn't nearly as crowded as WDW.

However, there were two things that I really missed in Disneyland...the Disney Dining Plan and Magic Bands. We use our Magic Bands for EVERYTHING. I hated having to go into my purse for everything, and having to take out my phone all of the time. I prefer to keep it in my purse unless I'm taking a photo. If I could take a photo with my Magic Band, I'd do that too!

We haven't been on any Disney property since that Disneyland vacation because we were unable to go to WDW in June 2020. I cannot wait for our July 2021 trip to use my new anniversary edition Cinderella Magic Band!

I guess I have been at Disneyland the "wrong" times of year, because I find it MORE crowded than WDW most of the time. Admittedly, I am there most years over the holidays, since I am bringing a Rose Parade band for work.

I do agree about the inconvenience of having to pull the phone out and set it up to scan for MaxPass, but I did love the system overall, and it worked well.

I would LOVE it if Disneyland started using MagicBands. We also use them for everything! I have a puck holder for my Apple Watch band. No more trying to scan my watch, or check my MagicBand for the time!

I, too, plan to keep using one of my many MagicBands (pucks) at WDW for the foreseeable future.

On a recent trip I tried using the app to open the door. You had to put your phone directly on the door. I much prefer the magic band. If I have to pay $15 a person for a magic band, I will.

ree about the inconvenience of having to pull the phone out and set it up to scan for MaxPass, but I did love the system overall, and it worked well.

I would LOVE it if Disneyland started using MagicBands. We also use them for everything! I have a puck holder for my Apple Watch band. No more trying to scan my watch, or check my MagicBand for the time!

Yes, MP is really great! And I wish they'd bring MB to DL, too and have it work with MP.

This puck holder for your Apple Watch, do you have a link for that or a pic? I'm really interested. And yep, can't count the times I've tried to swipe my watch!

While I think it is short-sighted by Disney to stop offering free Magic Bands to resort guests, you will still be able to buy discounted ones beforehand like you can now. Why they can't keep including them is a mystery to me, how much does it cost Disney to manufacture the basic bands and then give them out for people spending HUNDREDS of dollars for resort room stays?

It exhausting trying to figure out why Disney makes half of their decisions, all we can do is keep adjusting to them it seems. We only go every few years so we always need fresh bands each trip, this year we are going to get some discounted "custom" ones rather than the plain colors we've done in the past.
I agree... Disney charging for basic magic bands make Disney come across as being “Cheap”. Disney saves money when guests use these bands. Although this is small in the grand scheme of things, it’s poor PR.

I'm really sad about Disney doing away with MB for resort guests. My guess is the mailing of the bands got expensive. But why not just give them upon arrival? Plus I think it's kinda stinky that part of the "perks" were using the MB to board Magical express and going directly to your room! So do they mail you a "plastic ticket" if you opt out of buying MB?

I selected my MBs ('standard' ones) for our trip in May 2021 without a hitch or word of a future charge for them. It'll be interesting to see if I suddenly get notified in January or close to our trip that the price of the two bands has been added to my package cost. Definitely going to keep an eye on it!

...So do they mail you a "plastic ticket" if you opt out of buying MB?

The idea is to use a smartphone for DME and room entry. Only those without a smartphone (or the desire to use one this way) would have to stop to get a plastic card.

I selected my MBs ('standard' ones) for our trip in May 2021 without a hitch or word of a future charge for them. It'll be interesting to see if I suddenly get notified in January or close to our trip that the price of the two bands has been added to my package cost. Definitely going to keep an eye on it!

They will not do that. I assume you booked the trip before this change was announced. Guests for whom this applies can still get complimentary plain colored ones.

I'm really sad about Disney doing away with MB for resort guests. My guess is the mailing of the bands got expensive. But why not just give them upon arrival? Plus I think it's kinda stinky that part of the "perks" were using the MB to board Magical express and going directly to your room! So do they mail you a "plastic ticket" if you opt out of buying MB?
I've forgotten a magic band or had it packed away too far in luggage to get to a few times and had no trouble just giving my name at DME and hopping right in line. So it's not really necessary, though it does speed the lines up quite a bit.

I agree... Disney charging for basic magic bands make Disney come across as being “Cheap”. Disney saves money when guests use these bands. Although this is small in the grand scheme of things, it’s poor PR.
I couldn’t agree more. If Disney would rather pay a cc swipe fee everytime I buy something instead of my tapping my “free” band then so be it.

I'm planning on upgrading our July trip bands rather than taking the free ones, but I'll probably just get the free ones for our October and November visits. I'd like to save those free ones for future use. Can I use the ones I'm buying for our July trip in October and November but still get the free ones we're "entitled to" so we can use them later?
A related question: When they arrive, do they have those little "plastic things" that prevent the battery from "starting to work"? You know what I mean -- the things that keep the battery from running down while it's still in the packaging. If you don't pull those things out, you can delay starting the Magic Band's life.
I literally just threw a HUGE bag of magic bands away that were the old style
See, that's a good reason for Disney to start selling Magic Bands. Sending a "huge bag" of technology to the landfill is not good for our planet.

Not putting you down: Disney sent them without cost. I totally get why you took them, but -- now that they won't be free -- people will re-use old bands, and it'll be a better choice for the environment.
Its really quite simple....MONEY.

They will spin it to be environmental, or give guests more flexibility, etc. But at the end of the day, it is a financial decision. Disney is a for profit business.
I think "money" is only a part of the story:

Imagine if Disney hadn't given Magic Bands to resort guests for free initially. Do you think they would've taken off as they have? Do you think a solid half or more of Disney visitors would be wearing them? No, but because they were given for free to a huge number of guests, they've now become popular -- and now people are willing to pay for them. Now that people are familiar with the technology and want it, why should they keep giving them away for free?

Giving away free bands was probably a calculated choice -- but it was probably always considered a temporary thing.
My guess is they are phasing out the MB technology - no reason why you couldn't do the exact same thing with a QR scan. A QR code could be pulled up on your phone or printed on a card - no MB battery to wear out. If you are concerned about your phone going dead, you could bring the card or be given one at guest services.
Eh, I see nothing to make me think the technology is going away -- just that it's going to cost money.

The bands ARE better than QR codes in that they won't "run out of battery" like a phone, they are waterproof, and children who don't have smart phones can use them.
I'm just not that adept at accessing an app to try to do all the things a MB will do.
Agree, and learning an app for a vacation feels like "work".
Any idea how much the new bands will cost?
I think $15 is kinda standard -- specialty designs run $25-35. They were recently on -- was it a Buy-Two-Get-One-Free sale online.
“Disney Resort hotel guests will continue to have the option to purchase new MagicBands at a discount ...
THAT makes a lot of sense: Offer discounted Magic Bands as an "add-on" to the room. It's not a big thing, but it might make a difference to some people.
My understanding is that we'll have 3 options

1-buy a magic band, it will work the way it always has.

2-use 'ticket card' media, it will also work the way it always has.

3-use your smartphone to scan the sensors. It will now (theoretically) work like a MB, although I don't know if it will do the 'remote' scan that automatically adds on ride pics. I don't see how it can unless you have MDE open and 'on'.
Choices are good.
If I have to pay $15 a person for a magic band, I will.
That's what Disney is counting on.
I'm missing something -- how does using Magic Bands save Disney money?
My guess is the mailing of the bands got expensive. But why not just give them upon arrival?
I suspect it's the manufacturing of the bands. Even though they've already spent the money on developing the technology, putting together the circuits and such inside the puck is high-tech stuff.

Last edited:
I think "money" is only a part of the story:

Imagine if Disney hadn't given Magic Bands to resort guests for free initially. Do you think they would've taken off as they have? Do you think a solid half or more of Disney visitors would be wearing them? No, but because they were given for free to a huge number of guests, they've now become popular -- and now people are willing to pay for them. Now that people are familiar with the technology and want it, why should they keep giving them away for free?
[/QUOTE

just my opinion but magic bands have never been free, they were included in the very very hight rates that Disney charges for their rooms.
Disney also get a ton of valuable information from our movements by being able to track us wherever we go on property.

Some of the biggest reasons people (myself included) were willing to pay Disney’s ridiculous high rates were

proximity to the parks- we still get that
60 fastpass window-gone (hopefully temporary)
Luggage delivery- gone
RAC service - gone
Magical express- we still get that
Magic bands- gone

People will blame COVID for most of these things that use to be included in our resort stay but I just don’t buy it. I don’t like it but I can almost get onboard with no fastpasses for the time being because of COVID but there is no logical explanation other than Disney saving money to abolish “free” magic bands, luggage delivery or RAC

A related question: When they arrive, do they have those little "plastic things" that prevent the battery from "starting to work"? You know what I mean -- the things that keep the battery from running down while it's still in the packaging. If you don't pull those things out, you can delay starting the Magic Band's life.
No they don't the battery is embedded inside of it and is not accessible to the owner of the band.

Sometimes even having a new band is no guarantee that it will work. For example the band I had for my 2019 trip was brand new and had issues with photos from rides automatically connecting to my Disney experience app. I figured the out after I had returned when I spoke with someone from photo pass to add them to my account.

Couldn't copy-and-paste from Traveling with CC points:

Agree that Magic Bands were never really "free". "Included with your room cost" is a more truthful phrase, but since they added nothing to the cost of your room.

Yes, on-site rooms are attractive for many reasons. If Disney wants to charge a premium price for their on-site rooms, they have to offer some pretty strong incentives. Magic Bands were just one.

One more thought on WHY Disney is stopping the free Magic Bands: Off-site people have been renting a campsite to get free Magic Bands, free parking, and earlier ressie dates. I don't think Disney was "losing" any money when someone rented a hotel room for two people ... but they probably were losing money when people rented a single night's campsite (what is that? $60-80?), which can hold up to 10 people. 10 free Magic Bands probably was "real money" for Disney.
Sometimes even having a new band is no guarantee that it will work. For example the band I had for my 2019 trip was brand new and had issues with photos from rides automatically connecting to my Disney experience app. I figured the out after I had returned when I spoke with someone from photo pass to add them to my account.
Sounds like one more reason to keep using an old band, a band you KNOW works.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter