• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Bands

not sure if this is the right place, but what happens if you forget your Linked magic bands on a last minute trip? :) (Tickets not yet purchased) Ticket on phone? TIA

The system is not yet in place to use a ticket on a phone. That is coming... As of now you need a MagicBand or ticket card. They both have RFID chips that are scanned at the touchpoint.

If you are staying at a Disney resort, they will give you new bands at the front desk. Typically those are gray, but sometimes they have other colors available. If you are not staying at a Disney resort, you can get a ticket card at any guest services or ticket window, or buy a MagicBand.

I would go ahead and purchase tickets ASAP, so you can book park passes. There seems to be ample availability for everyone other than APs, but I'd still feel better knowing I had park reservations.

yes, they are still going to sell them.
For the moment and as far as we know, you can use you smart phone or a kttwc to open doors, admission, etc. however if you want ride experiences you need to purchase a MB or use one you have that still works.
Ride photos will work both ways. A MB will link it automagically. Otherwise you have to look for your photo and scan your kttwc at the end of the attraction.

MB’s have always only been a convenience, not a requirement. Now you just have to pay for it.
I'm just not that adept at accessing an app to try to do all the things a MB will do. I don't want to pay for MB, but I'm certainly not going backwards and having to screen a card at the end of rides to get my pics. Just going to start buying them when the time comes and use them for a few years.

Last edited:
I wonder what they will do about ride photos, especially for the rides that don't have the screens/touchpoints at the end. One idea I thought of was that they could use Bluetooth to communicate with sensors on the ride and attach the photos to your account.

I'm just not that adept at accessing an app to try to do all the things a MB will do. I don't want pay for MB, but I'm certainly not going backwards and having to screen a card at the end of rides to get my pics. Just going to start buying them when the time comes and use them for a few years.
remember that the on ride pics that go directly into your account don't have a tap option and the ones that do have the tap option (Buzz for example) don't automatically link to your account

remember that the on ride pics that go directly into your account don't have a tap option and the ones that do have the tap option (Buzz for example) don't automatically link to your account

Even the rides that have the photo tap option at the end have automatic upload with a MagicBand.
We never tap and get all our pictures. The tap option is for those without magicbands.

We used our two year old ones in one trip, they still worked for FP and tickets.. but did not work on long range like ride videos/ photos.
In that case one new band will catch the cart/ kids photos.

If we have MB's already active in our accounts do we need to link our tickets or does that happen automagically?

While I think it is short-sighted by Disney to stop offering free Magic Bands to resort guests, you will still be able to buy discounted ones beforehand like you can now. Why they can't keep including them is a mystery to me, how much does it cost Disney to manufacture the basic bands and then give them out for people spending HUNDREDS of dollars for resort room stays?

It exhausting trying to figure out why Disney makes half of their decisions, all we can do is keep adjusting to them it seems. We only go every few years so we always need fresh bands each trip, this year we are going to get some discounted "custom" ones rather than the plain colors we've done in the past.
I would think that the bigger cost is shipping them. If they just had the standard ones available when you check in at your resort, that might allow them to still provide them and save on the cost.

A Million times this. Disney's hurting so badly right now that eliminating any unnecessary expense is going to be the norm for a while.

And honestly, Magicbands were a bridge technology until phone tech caught up to what Disney wanted it to do. For example, Disneyland never got them, and by most reports, the MaxPass system using mostly phones is superior to the Magicband system.
Can you use MaxPass on an AppleWatch?

Can you use MaxPass on an AppleWatch?

MaxPass is for Disneyland (Calif), not WDW. WDW has FastPass+.

But to answer your question, no. There is no Apple Watch app for either DL or WDW and neither MDE (WDW) nor the Disneyland (DL) app 'talks' to your Apple Watch.

When we were at WDW last year I set FP+ reminders on my iCal and they 'pinged' my watch. I haven't been to DL since I got my watch, but I'll probably do the same there. I set the haptics on 'high' to be sure I'd feel them. But when it comes to booking FP+ or MP, you have to pull out your phone.

I'd assume no more than they cost on ShopDisney. To my knowledge they haven't said whether or not they'll offer a discount for onsite guests, but I rather think they won't.

They did say it...

“Disney Resort hotel guests will continue to have the option to purchase new MagicBands at a discount, and we’ll be introducing even more colors and designs featuring favorite Disney characters in the future."

They did say it...

“Disney Resort hotel guests will continue to have the option to purchase new MagicBands at a discount, and we’ll be introducing even more colors and designs featuring favorite Disney characters in the future."

Thanks for clarifying!

NO MB's ?
Then WDW issues tickets instead - what if we get our tickets from Undercover Tourist - since we are staying at the Dolphin - our favorite resort.
Do we get a hard ticket ? Best to keep the hard plastic ticket ? ?
I usually carry around a credit card, drivers licence and medical insurance cards
Another card will not hurt the wallet :)

NO MB's ?
Then WDW issues tickets instead - what if we get our tickets from Undercover Tourist - since we are staying at the Dolphin - our favorite resort.
I usually carry around a credit card, drivers licence and medical insurance cards

It's not "No" MagicBands. It's no more complimentary MagicBands for Disney resort guests.

Guests can still purchase MagicBands (at a discount for resort guests after 1/1/2021), or use old MagicBands the same way they always have.

Yes, you can also get a hard plastic ticket card, if you prefer. Or, eventually, there will be functionality in the app to scan your smartphone, like they have at Disneyland.

It's not "No" MagicBands. It's no more complimentary MagicBands for Disney resort guests.

Guests can still purchase MagicBands (at a discount for resort guests after 1/1/2021), or use old MagicBands the same way they always have.

Yes, you can also get a hard plastic ticket card, if you prefer. Or, eventually, there will be functionality in the app to scan your smartphone, like they have at Disneyland.

EEK - no scanning my I-Phone

NO MB's ?
I would link your ticket to your MB, if you already have one, through MDE and forgo the hard ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter