• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Bands

I remember being so excited the first trip with MB. My DH totally loved the scan-and-go aspect. I'm sure this is just a money making angle for Disney. Why give away free when you can charge $10.

My concern is that this is the beginning of the end and that we'll see Disney pushing use of smartphones more and more. I'm one of those people who uses my phone frequently in the parks to check wait times, mobile order my food, etc. so I don't mind having my phone on me and making use of it. I don't like relying on it for everything, though, and I find the magicbands really convenient because I don't have to get my phone out, unlock it, navigate to the right app, etc.--I just touch my wrist to the tap point and punch in my PIN and I'm done. I'd rather not be in a position where I have to either use my phone or go back to using a keycard/physical credit cards/what-have-you. My hope is that they'll continue on with a hybrid system that will allow use of either/both, since I've already got a handful of magicbands and I'm okay with losing the long range capabilities if I can still use them for tickets, keys, payments, etc.

I've just decided not to invest money in collecting (many) more magicbands, though, because I'm nervous that they'll announce a big phase-out after I've sunk money into it--otherwise this year I was looking at ordering half a dozen of them at once on ShopDisney so I could swap around pucks for fun color combos. I just struggle to justify the cost to myself when there's a chance they're on the way out. But I'm a bit of a sucker for accessories I can coordinate, so they'll probably still get money out of me for special edition bands here and there if they keep selling them.

I think a few of the newer rides don't have tap points for making sure the ride photo gets attached to your account--it relies on picking up the signal from a magicband. Kind of shortsighted design, if you ask me. I'm not positive which rides that includes, though, and if they're going to switch to relying on people using their phones they'll have to do something to make that work with shorter range signals....like maybe adding the missing tap points.

You can remove the puck of the newer style of magicband from the wristband; you just need a small screwdriver like you'd use to repair a pair of glasses. If you're not wearing the magicbands you don't need to carry the entire band around. Disney even sells keychains for the pucks if you'd rather attach it to your bag instead of wearing it on your wrist.
Ive seen those, we will just keep the rolled up mb (we made them kid sized) and if offered KTTW cards we will gladly yse those and keep them in pocket or card case wallet and take out as needed.

Ive seen those, we will just keep the rolled up mb (we made them kid sized) and if offered KTTW cards we will gladly yse those and keep them in pocket or card case wallet and take out as needed.
Okay. Since you said you liked the card because it was smaller for carrying in a bag, I just thought you might want to know that MagicBand pucks are smaller than a keycard.

That's the way I understand it, too. Not getting rid of the bands, just charging for them in the future.
I imagine Disney makes close to 100% profit on each MagicBand sold. Unless there’s a technical limitation with the system like the company who made the system went out of business and they can’t cheaply get parts for repair, I can’t see Disney abandoning this golden goose. I’ve lost count of how many I own.

I was just going to write the same thing. The statement from Disney says retiring the free band option. If they will still let you buy them I would assume (I know, may be a mistake) they will still be using the technology, they just want money for them. We were able to add complimentary bands 3 days ago to our reservation for next August.

I would still purchase them if they offer a discount to resort guests. I really enjoy the convenience of them and really don't want to use my phone for everything.

So my magic bands most likely aren't going to make it before our vacation starts on the 27th (one week away). They have yet to ship. I have talked to three different people from Disney. The latest person told me I could use any of my old magic bands as long as they were active. I didn't need to do anything other than bring them and they would work. I had no idea that could work?

So my magic bands most likely aren't going to make it before our vacation starts on the 27th (one week away). They have yet to ship. I have talked to three different people from Disney. The latest person told me I could use any of my old magic bands as long as they were active. I didn't need to do anything other than bring them and they would work. I had no idea that could work?
It's possible they could be picked up at your resort, but if not, yes you can use any previous magicbands as they're linked to your MDE account, not specific resort reservations or tickets.

I would still purchase them if they offer a discount to resort guests. I really enjoy the convenience of them and really don't want to use my phone for everything.
They still do offer premium MB discounts for 2021 stays! They even have pre-arrival exclusives that are discounted, meaning you can only get those designs when ordering them for a resort stay.

The latest person told me I could use any of my old magic bands as long as they were active. I didn't need to do anything other than bring them and they would work. I had no idea that could work?
Yep, that works. On my last trip (Sept 2019) I used a Magic Band that I got for my 2015 trip.

It didn't work for the ride movies but it worked for the ride photos where you touch your band and for the room and for all payments.

Agreed. I find them so much more convenient than the cards. I don't have to fiddle with my purse and dig anything out. I don't risk dropping my phone. It is so much easier. We have a bunch of old ones, and when they die, we still have the new ones we got for our cancelled trip. I bought the Cinderella 50th Anniversary Limited Edition MB hoping to use it in June. When all of those die, I will happily purchase new ones. I don't see what the big deal is.

They still do offer premium MB discounts for 2021 stays! They even have pre-arrival exclusives that are discounted, meaning you can only get those designs when ordering them for a resort stay.

Yup, they're on my MDE for our trip next May. I haven't actually ordered them yet because I'm not super thrilled with any of the 'fancy' ones and want to wait and see if anything 'cuter' shows up.

We've always just done the plain ones. Does anyone know if I go ahead and 'customize' plain ones now can I change my mind later if I see something cute pop up?

I'm also curious to see what happens if I do select and customize now while it still says 'free'. Will I slide under the radar or suddenly be charged for them?

The main thing I will miss from losing MB are the automatic ride photo downloads. I can use my AP card and a KTTW for everything else. I find using my phone for anything involving MDE to be inconvenient, between the glitches and the way the site is organized.

We've always just done the plain ones. Does anyone know if I go ahead and 'customize' plain ones now can I change my mind later if I see something cute pop up?

I'm also curious to see what happens if I do select and customize now while it still says 'free'. Will I slide under the radar or suddenly be charged for them?
According to the confirmation email after placing a MB order: "On the MagicBands and Card page, you may see a link to edit your order. If you have ordered all complimentary MagicBands and it is more than 30 days before the start of your reservation, you can use this link to modify your order."

You may be able to get away with customizing free ones, just because I feel like Disney will honor it if you do place the order and I don't think they will retroactively charge you, especially if you don't provide a credit card at checkout. I think it's still an option right now probably because they haven't figured out how to block guests with certain arrival dates (January 1, 2021 and beyond) from having complimentary MB's as an option. However, if you want to wait for better premium designs, I recommend doing so in the case that they lock you into the complimentary ones when updating the system.

According to the confirmation email after placing a MB order: "On the MagicBands and Card page, you may see a link to edit your order. If you have ordered all complimentary MagicBands and it is more than 30 days before the start of your reservation, you can use this link to modify your order."

You may be able to get away with customizing free ones, just because I feel like Disney will honor it if you do place the order and I don't think they will retroactively charge you, especially if you don't provide a credit card at checkout. I think it's still an option right now probably because they haven't figured out how to block guests with certain arrival dates (January 1, 2021 and beyond) from having complimentary MB's as an option. However, if you want to wait for better premium designs, I recommend doing so in the case that they lock you into the complimentary ones when updating the system.

Hey, thanks for this! I'll probably go ahead and order soon then. I was planning on waiting til like Oct/Nov but since I can change them (modify) if I see something I like better it's 'no harm/no foul'.

I have a sneaky feeling that if one orders now and ends up with free or low cost ones after the first of the year but you try to modify after 1/1/21 they'd probably charge you or apply any price increase applicable.

not sure if this is the right place, but what happens if you forget your Linked magic bands on a last minute trip? :) (Tickets not yet purchased) Ticket on phone? TIA

not sure if this is the right place, but what happens if you forget your Linked magic bands on a last minute trip? :) (Tickets not yet purchased) Ticket on phone? TIA

Just tell them at the front desk. They'll give you a new Magic Band. You may or may not get to select a std color depending on the resort and what they have available.

All Magic Bands associated with your MDE account are interchangeable. NOTHING is ever actually stored ON the bands. They are merely a key to access your account on MDE.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter