Magic Key Program

Does anyone have any experiences with making a larger down payment? My parents are looking at getting passes but want to be able to have a lower monthly payment. My thought is they could buy tickets and upgrade but that's a lot of extra steps assuming the ticket booths would be able to accept larger down payments like they did in the past.

Can they buy one and pay full price and then do monthly payments on the other one?

-With my tickets (before the upgrade), I had a reservation for Sunday, 9/6. Unfortunately, that date is currently sold out for MK members. That reservation still shows up under "my reservations". In other words, it doesn't appear to have been canceled. However, I assume that it won't work to enter the parks because it's linked my tickets rather than my MK membership.

I would check to be sure. I've been seeing reports from people on Facebook that some reservations made on tickets successfully converted over.

Does anyone have any experiences with making a larger down payment? My parents are looking at getting passes but want to be able to have a lower monthly payment. My thought is they could buy tickets and upgrade but that's a lot of extra steps assuming the ticket booths would be able to accept larger down payments like they did in the past.
From what Ive read you can’t exactly. BUT I believe the work around is upgrading a Magic Pass.
Found the answer through the PlanDisney official Q&A
Say you get a BELIEVE and then upgrade to a DREAM. Your monthly payment remains the same. But you have to pay the price difference in full. In this case $450.

From what Ive read you can’t exactly. BUT I believe the work around is upgrading a Magic Pass.
Say you get a BELIEVE and then upgrade to a DREAM. Your monthly payment remains the same. But you have to pay the price difference in full. In this case $450.
Nevermind I saw that you mentioned they have a Dream key.

I think that doing an upgrade of some kind may be the only option, either way we'll probably have to visit the ticket booths to get it sorted out.

I think that doing an upgrade of some kind may be the only option, either way we'll probably have to visit the ticket booths to get it sorted out.
Yeah, depending on how much they want to put down, the only workaround I've seen online so far is buying a regular park ticket close in cost to the amount they want to put down. Then make a reservation, go to the park and upgrade in the app selecting monthly payments.

I'm going to stop complaining about the "Magic Key" names, because the WDW AP names came out today, and hooooooweeee...

DLR: "Here, check out how ugly I can name the new AP program."
WDW: "Hold my butterbeer."
Eek. Beyond the lack of creativity, I saw those names and immediately just saw acronyms: DPDP, DPP, DSP and of course, the DIP pass.

Yeah, I'll take Imagine, Enchant, Believe and Dream if those are the two options.

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone has purchased discount tickets from an authorized reseller and upgraded to a Magic Key? I have done this in the past and both times had the full gate ticket price credited although I paid less for it. If this is still the case, I would purchase a five-day park hopper at a discount and upgrade to a Key so save a little money and also to apply more toward the deposit and have a lower monthly payment.

Related question: Could I in theory do the above and ALSO apply a gift card and Disney Chase rewards to the deposit?

I would check to be sure. I've been seeing reports from people on Facebook that some reservations made on tickets successfully converted over.
Thanks! I will see if I can find how it's working for others or maybe call to check.

The last thing I want to do is bring the kids to the park and then find out we can't get in at all that day, but if I can verify they did convert over, that would be ideal!

I'm going to stop complaining about the "Magic Key" names, because the WDW AP names came out today, and hooooooweeee...

DLR: "Here, check out how ugly I can name the new AP program."
WDW: "Hold my butterbeer."
Disney Pixie Dust Pass
Disney Pirate Pass
Disney Sorcerer Pass
Disney Incredi-Pass

I guess I'm mentally 10 years old because I would love to have the second option and have Disney PP

At least WDW is keeping the AP name and won't have the acronym confusion we're already seeing with "Magic Key" 😂

Plus even though it's an add on cost now, they have annual PhotoPass/Memory Maker and their renewal discounts still.

Thanks! I will see if I can find how it's working for others or maybe call to check.

The last thing I want to do is bring the kids to the park and then find out we can't get in at all that day, but if I can verify they did convert over, that would be ideal!

It seems an easy way to tell is to pull up your reservation page and see what entry media it says the reservations are for. If you can't tell if it's ticket or pass, just look for the age. 3+ would be the pass.

I'm also thinking if they converted, then it would be a good idea to know because missing a reservation could be a strike against you 😬.

Thank you. I’m on hold waiting for support now. My kids both have their own accounts but I’m the one who linked them to mine first. Hope they can fix it.
Any luck getting a quick resolution when you called? they told me to wait until Wednesday to call back if the upgrade button has not been fixed by IT today or tomorrow. i definitely will before the ticket expires this weekend . Their other suggestion was to go to the park and get it fixed, which is impossible since we are out of state .

YOU CAN ONLY GET INTO THE PARKS IN MONTHS WITH ARRRRR IN THEM.

I'll see myself out.
Oh, that made my day!! Much better joke than my Disney PeePee, sigh. Speaking of Disney pee pee, did you know that there are actually people who go to Disneyland specifically to get a kidney stone to pass? Seems that some of the rides are credibly known to facilitate the process...

...don't ask me how I know this

At least WDW is keeping the AP name and won't have the acronym confusion we're already seeing with "Magic Key" 😂

Plus even though it's an add on cost now, they have annual PhotoPass/Memory Maker and their renewal discounts still.

It seems an easy way to tell is to pull up your reservation page and see what entry media it says the reservations are for. If you can't tell if it's ticket or pass, just look for the age. 3+ would be the pass.

I'm also thinking if they converted, then it would be a good idea to know because missing a reservation could be a strike against you 😬.

Thank you. I see the last-4 digits of my ticket # after the reservations for that date.
My other MK reservations do not have ticket numbers with them - just the names of the MK holder. That leads me to conclude that the reservations are associated with the (now-obsolete) tickets, rather than the MKs.

That's a great point about not wanting to miss a reservation.

Disney Pixie Dust Pass
Disney Pirate Pass
Disney Sorcerer Pass
Disney Incredi-Pass

I guess I'm mentally 10 years old because I would love to have the second option and have Disney PP

Oh, trust me, I was calling that pass something else entirely that I'll probably get in trouble for if I post it on these forums, hahahah.

Wondering if anyone has purchased discount tickets from an authorized reseller and upgraded to a Magic Key? I have done this in the past and both times had the full gate ticket price credited although I paid less for it. If this is still the case, I would purchase a five-day park hopper at a discount and upgrade to a Key so save a little money and also to apply more toward the deposit and have a lower monthly payment.

Related question: Could I in theory do the above and ALSO apply a gift card and Disney Chase rewards to the deposit?
Theoretically, this should work at the ticket booths. If the CM is unable to work it out, kindly and politely ask for a lead.
Sending you a PM. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter