Magic of Membership Holiday Reception Chicago Nov 19th-20th

We are driving in. We also aren't super familiar with downtown. Can anyone tell us a good place to park that is close and cost? Does the Fairmont have valet we can use for the day??

Disneylovers said:
No, it's too long of a walk. However, there is a free trolley service that leaves from Union station every "20 to 30 minutes" (according to the web site). It's the "red circle" trolley which makes stops at Marshall Fields and Millenium Park, as well as Nordstroms and Water Tower Place (as well as a few other stops which I can't remember right now).
Pat
:wave:

FYI... I'm not sure about Saturday but on Sunday the free trolley doesn't start running until noon. We were downtown for Wicked a few weeks ago and were disappointed when we couldn't use the trolley in the morning.

Got the cruse info, but not the meeting. Would liked to get the meeting info a lot sooner to make plans to go. :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

We signed up today for Saturday 10:00 Am!! Can't wait to go! :Pinkbounc

UGH, old man winter is here ! sat. 46 showers, sun.45. After today I am not sure if I am going way to cold ! LOL

And leaving Rt. 59 train station at 9 am. to arrive downtown at 10. Then we're taking the 151 bus downtown.

Should be fun. We tried to make American Doll girl reservation but no luck.

FYI - I called the fairmont to ask for a discount, and yes, they do have discounted rooms.... but they are only for DVC cast members.

Ummmm- why couldn't DVC negotiate some rate on behalf of their DVC guests, whom their going to "soft sell" for 2 hours?????

I called MS, and complained, but no one returned my call.

Oh well, should be a fun day. WDWSTAR, come on down. I want to meet you and Sylvia.

Goldi

Have fun today everyone!!!

Who is going to report back first I wonder.... lol

I went to the 10:00 am session. They had pastries, fruit and coffee. No OJ or hot chocolate or milk for the kids. A can of pop was 5.00. We didn't win the week's trip. We all got blinking pins. You can now bank points online and track them. Wilderness lodge camping and Contemporary concierge level will be added to the disney collection. And an couple more places for the other collections. I brought my camera, but the backdrops weren't nice enough to wait in line for IMHO. I was disappointed. I expected something nicer.

rigsby25 said:
I went to the 10:00 am session. They had pastries, fruit and coffee. No OJ or hot chocolate or milk for the kids. A can of pop was 5.00. We didn't win the week's trip. We all got blinking pins. You can now bank points online and track them. Wilderness lodge camping and Contemporary concierge level will be added to the disney collection. And an couple more places for the other collections. I brought my camera, but the backdrops weren't nice enough to wait in line for IMHO. I was disappointed. I expected something nicer.

Nothing for the kids to drink eh??? That sucks. Only Coffee for the adults to drink.... that really sucks. lol

Was there a Q&A session??

Were their chararters??

Long lines? How many people would you say were there?? How many DVC Staff...

When was the drawing, and did you have to be present to win??

What time did it wrap up?? Did you stay the whole 2 hours???

Thanks bunches!

I was at the 10am session, too. There was only coffee and tea for the adults. I, also, couldn't believe they didn't have drinks for the kids. Chip n Dale and Mickey and Minnie came for less than 5 minutes--no time for pictures. However, we had to leave after an hour b/c DS2 was getting stir crazy! So, I have no idea about lines or if the characters came back for photos (I doubt it). We would have stayed if they had a little area for the kids. They had the room set up like a lecture hall so there were no open areas. I think it would have been nicer if it was an open room with booths set up. By the way, we parked at the parking structure by Marshall Fields (Wabash & Randolph) for 2+ hours and it was $25 (Marshall Field's validates for $3 off if you purchase something). At least it was a beautiful day and I got my Garrett's popcorn!

Sylvia said:
At least it was a beautiful day and I got my Garrett's popcorn!
OOooooh I LOOOOOVE Garretts!! Well worth paying a lot for parking. How was the walk??? Windy I bet... We are thinking of parking in the same parking lot.... maybe Garretts on the way to the event and for the way home!!!

We were there and had a great time. I don't want to say too much as I don't want to spoil the surprises for the families going down tomorrow. But, I will say we had fun and hope they will do another event here in Chicago.

Here are just a couple pictures to tease Laura (I hope you know I'm teasing you, I sense you have a tough time with the anticipation ;) ). I know you're going to have fun!

We met up with Mark (MarkRG) and Mary (wdwlvr) in the lobby. Here they are along with myself and my two children.
i5BD0AC99-E5FA-4DBA-8F97-B64646CB9566.jpg

This we took after the event. We're thinking it might become our Christmas card picture this year.
iFED001A9-46BC-4D7C-8762-02CAABA7EECE.jpg

And here are my kids with the Snowman Mickey display.
iA932BC8A-2550-4E59-BDB0-9B8DFFABFC74.jpg

Yeah we were the rowdy row - especially when it came to the Member Cruise (can you tell by all our shirts that we loved it). Any day spent with friends is good. When they are DIS and DVC friends even better!

We were watching the parade and the show from Chicago's Magnificent Mile, I don't remember seeing that show before. Is there a reception every year in conjunction with the parade?

Very very nice pictures, cgcw!

Bobbi :flower:

Welp.... DD6 has 104.5 temp. This of course I discover after she was help me with DD 4 (soon to be 5) birthday party.... I can see it now... 8 little girls all coming down with fevers next week.... UGH

Sooooooooo our plans have changed. I might come down alone.... or with my dd4.... not sure. May just cancel...

Bobbi - I think this is the first time they have done a reception in conjunction with the lights festival. They went over all the Member Events that have been happening and said that they are now going to try coming to the members as well.

I think if they get good feedback they will expand it to other cities and events.

Wish I had been able to drive out there for that Mary - sounds like it was fun! And to be around the "rowdy" crowd again sure would have been fun! But I am busy setting up Christmas around the house so maybe next time. :wave:

We were at the 2PM reception yesterday. DH won one of the table decorations so we've now got a very nice Mickey decoration for Christmas. We were also able to take a nice family pic that we will probably use for our card this year.

Membership is now at 95,000. The cast member who was moderating the event said that with numbers comes power. She used the discount on the AP as one example. She also said that with more members it would allow them to open resorts in other locations. No locations announced or hints given, but found the comment interesting.

She said they listen to the suggestions from members and cited the changes to the website to be unveiled early next month, and the new sit down restaurant at SSR as examples. If they have your e-mail you will now also receive an e-mail about 2 weeks prior to your arrival with info.

All in all it was a fun afternoon. Only downside was March is too far away for our next trip. Surfing today for airfare for a quick fix before then.

We were there today at the 10am and had a great time! I hope they do it again next year. The kids had fun with the Radio Disney DJ. We couldn't believe all the giveaways they had. I won a DVC key chain and a stadium blanket. The girls were given beaded necklaces and pencils. We all got blinking pins and the girls got coloring books and crayons on the way in.

It was nice to see people from the past member cruise and meet another family from Oswego. Hi Amy! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter