Marathon Weekend 2018

Wow a lot happens when you don't log on for a few weeks!!

@rteetz add me to the POR list, please!

@DopeyBadger I was corral F last year for "goofy" with my 2016 half POT of 2:00:08. Bib number is 30622. Using the same POT from 2016 half for 2018 Dopey.

ALSO CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE MEDALS!!! And either I missed it or no one saw that the 5K medal is not the "plastic" type this year. The marathon medal is GORGEOUS.

OK that is all, off for a nice long run in the snow :)

Update: 18 miles done in the snow and I still love it just as much. Went to a local park that has a six mile loop around a lake and it is absolutely beautiful. Between that and two of my favorite longer podcasts, I never felt "bored", which I struggled with on my 16 two weeks ago. I also feel physically strong and never really had a crap moment during this one. Here's hoping that 20 goes just as well next weekend and then it's TAPER TIME! :cool1:

ALSO CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE MEDALS!!! And either I missed it or no one saw that the 5K medal is not the "plastic" type this year. The marathon medal is GORGEOUS

5K medals stopped being plastic mid-2016. :yay:

Rare snow day in south Louisiana for an easy 3 miles...Couldnt see much from all the snow going in my eyes but Im learning

24862115_1552839298138089_2658116485796461955_n.jpg

Got some snow running in too. It did seem like no matter what direction I was going in it was snowing in my face. :)

I love running while it's snowing!

Let's see if I'm still saying that after I do 18 in it tomorrow though. :laughing:

Me too as long it isn’t sticking to the sidewalks too much. Beautiful to see the snow falling. Good luck tomorrow.

Me too as long it isn’t sticking to the sidewalks too much. Beautiful to see the snow falling. Good luck tomorrow.

I went to a park near my house that has a 6 mile loop. I figured I'd definitely do a loop and probably two. At the end of the second one, if it was too dicey because of the snow I'd call it quits. While snow did end up accumulating at a quicker rate it seemed during my last loop, it actually made it better because it got rid of the few slick spots I came across on the first and second. It was so quiet and peaceful - absolutely perfect.

Here's a picture of when I first got there, just as it started to flurry, and a picture I took before leaving, about four and some change hours later!

2u57vac.jpg

Last edited:
Update: 18 miles done in the snow and I still love it just as much. Went to a local park that has a six mile loop around a lake and it is absolutely beautiful. Between that and two of my favorite longer podcasts, I never felt "bored", which I struggled with on my 16 two weeks ago. I also feel physically strong and never really had a crap moment during this one. Here's hoping that 20 goes just as well next weekend and then it's TAPER TIME! :cool1:

5K medals stopped being plastic mid-2016. :yay:

Haha clearly I wasn't paying attention at all last year then :rotfl2:Thanks for the update :goodvibes

I went to a park near my house that has a 6 mile loop. I figured I'd definitely do a loop and probably two. At the end of the second one, if it was too dicey because of the snow I'd call it quits. While snow did end up accumulating at a quicker rate it seemed during my last loop, it actually made it better because it got rid of the few slick spots I came across on the first and second. It was so quiet and peaceful - absolutely perfect.

Here's a picture of when I first got there, just as it started to flurry, and a picture I took before leaving, about four and some change hours later!

2u57vac.jpg

Wow. That’s a cool before and after.

Got my Magic Bands and called ME for new luggage tags. Said 7-10 business days so hopefully before our trip lol!

Got in a chilly medium long run (19F + windchill). I'm really enjoying everybody's excitement about Marathon Weekend.
Yes... I'm looking forward to the holidays, New Years, (oh and don't let me forget about my wedding anniversary) ;)

But I'm really excited about Marathon Weekend. Last year we were hosting my brother-in-law and his kids, so I signed up for the half marathon because it would require less training time, I'd recover much quicker and have less "performance anxiety.". While I ended up running the marathon anyway -- I knew I wasn't really prepared. This year I feel I'm in good shape for the event :)

I'm glad we can all share this.

Whilst the rest of you were having freezing snowy runs I was running in temps over 90 degrees! (not really marathon training weather in my part of the world!). It did cool down for my last few kms, but that was due to the thunderstorm that rolled in. The rain brought some welcome relief though.

Had to pack for marathon weekend yesterday (I am flying out to the US this week), so I've got gear to pretty much run in any weather. Only other time I have been to WDW for marathon weekend was the great freeze of 2015, so I am prepared for everything from arctic to tropical! :D

A bit worried about getting my runs done for the next few weeks (would I look like a lunatic going for a run up the Las Vegas strip first thing in the morning whilst everyone else is staggering home?), so this tapering might be a little more leisurely than normal.

@rteetz - I am another Wilderness lodge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter