Marathon Weekend 2018

Add me to the list at CBR. Excited to get this thing going. This has been 2 years in the making for me. Just happened to go to Disney in December 2 years ago and decided then to give myself 2 years to prepare for the marathon. They had a ton of advertising while we were there and I caught the bug. It will be my first, and probably only marathon. Training for marathon's just eat up too much time. Sticking to half and 10K's from now on. Can't wait to run down main street in the MK towards the castle (hopefully while it is still semi dark so everything is lit up). Can't wait to run around the World Showcase at Epcot. Can't wait to cross the finish line and get the amazing medal. I'm guessing I'll be wearing it for days afterwards. This should be amazing!!

Add me to the Contemporary! Which, btw, does anyone have a good recommendation for a pre-race meal there?

I am most excited for:
1. My first (only!) marathon - I'm with the others. Marathon training just takes up too much time and then I'm exhausted during my weekend :/
2. My boyfriend's first trip to WDW! We will hit the parks on Monday. I'm skipping DHS, which makes me a little sad, but with such short park hours, I don't think I can fit in all 4.
3. Annnnnd those Disney caramel apples. Something about the chocolate-caramel-sugar mixture is sooo addictive.

Also, I am huge fan of this CO weather! It looks like I'm going to be able to get all of my long training runs in outside, which I am thrilled about.

Never thought I'd be disappointed reading how others got in 18-20 mile runs over the weekend, knowing I won't get there as I resume training after my leg injury. Managed an 8 mile run yesterday without any pain, with a 12 mile run planned for this weekend. My hope is to then do 15 miles on the 23rd, with a 2 week taper leading to marathon weekend. I'll get in as many miles as possible, without over doing it too soon, and then hope for the best. Nice work to all of you getting the miles in!

Never thought I'd be disappointed reading how others got in 18-20 mile runs over the weekend, knowing I won't get there as I resume training after my leg injury. Managed an 8 mile run yesterday without any pain, with a 12 mile run planned for this weekend. My hope is to then do 15 miles on the 23rd, with a 2 week taper leading to marathon weekend. I'll get in as many miles as possible, without over doing it too soon, and then hope for the best. Nice work to all of you getting the miles in!
I wouldn't sweat it. If you've completed the bulk of your program to this point, you're good to go. Maybe not in tip top condition, but ready. One thing is for sure.....you're legs will be fresh! If you don't go out to quick, you should be fine. You'll have to control the urge to move at a quicker pace because you're legs feel so good. If you don't mind me asking, what was your injury?

I always go with "Better under-trained and healthy at the start than fully-trained and injured on the sideline".

So, file this under "Putting the cart before the horse," but since registration is not too far away, I wanted to run this by the runDisney all-stars:

I'm thinking about doing the Dopey in 2019. I'll be 35 and I think my slogan will be, "I'm not running for President, so I'm running for Dopey." My wife seems to be on board and we know it'll be pricey between the race, shoes, etc.

That said, I have one major reservation. The 2019 trip will be a full family trip and I'm worried that doing the Dopey will take too much time away from my wife and kids. I know I can do the races and I know that, for the most part, my family will be asleep or just getting up when I'm running. My concern is being too tired, especially after the half and full to real enjoy my time with the kids in what will be one of their last trips as youngsters. I'm not a napper, so that's a small concern.

I did the full this year, came home, took a shower and was ready to hit the parks. We tackled Epcot, ate at Ohana, went back to Epcot and I ended up closing down the park that night without the aid of a nap or caffeine, so I know I can handle that. But, my concern is the cumulative effect of four days. I really love night time at the parks and want to see the nighttime shows at MK, Epcot and HS at the very least. We would probably do a 6-7 day trip, so there would definitely be days without an early morning/running.

So, would doing Dopey be selfish or can I handle it? I'm sure my family won't see it that way, but I want to give them the best vacation ever. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, gang. I know you all have your own upcoming races to think about.

So, file this under "Putting the cart before the horse," but since registration is not too far away, I wanted to run this by the runDisney all-stars:

I'm thinking about doing the Dopey in 2019. I'll be 35 and I think my slogan will be, "I'm not running for President, so I'm running for Dopey." My wife seems to be on board and we know it'll be pricey between the race, shoes, etc.

That said, I have one major reservation. The 2019 trip will be a full family trip and I'm worried that doing the Dopey will take too much time away from my wife and kids. I know I can do the races and I know that, for the most part, my family will be asleep or just getting up when I'm running. My concern is being too tired, especially after the half and full to real enjoy my time with the kids in what will be one of their last trips as youngsters. I'm not a napper, so that's a small concern.

I did the full this year, came home, took a shower and was ready to hit the parks. We tackled Epcot, ate at Ohana, went back to Epcot and I ended up closing down the park that night without the aid of a nap or caffeine, so I know I can handle that. But, my concern is the cumulative effect of four days. I really love night time at the parks and want to see the nighttime shows at MK, Epcot and HS at the very least. We would probably do a 6-7 day trip, so there would definitely be days without an early morning/running.

So, would doing Dopey be selfish or can I handle it? I'm sure my family won't see it that way, but I want to give them the best vacation ever. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, gang. I know you all have your own upcoming races to think about.
I think you'll be fine but I am 19 and don't really ever relax so....

I am not a napper either but I made it work. I tend to stay out a little bit later before the 5K and 10K than I do the half and the full. I also travel with older people though so everyone else is fine on their own if I head back.

With some planning you should have no problem.

Yes, you can handle it. Napping takes training too! I prefer the inconspicuous nap at the pool! You can enjoy the family and catch a quick 10 - 15 minute snooze! Sounds like the family is on board and behind you, and quite frankly looks like it may be an adventure for all involved. If you need any training tips on napping, just let me know! :faint:

Others will disagree, but I think you just have to decide what your ultimate Dopey Vacation Expectation is going to be - park goals or time goals.

Personally, I don't try to do any of the Dopey races with any goals in mind other than finishing and having a good time. Park time with my friends is more important. If you're going for time goals - I think you will see it start to have an affect on your vacation (ie. really early bedtime, early meals, etc.).

I hit the wall on Saturday and tend to not do any park time (or, very minimal park time) ... even this year, with no half, I didn't spend much time in the parks at all and chose to rest/stay off my feet. In 2016, I spent most of the day by the pool. I plan to do the same this time around after brunch at STK.

The thing with trying to do everything in the parks is you really need to account for and add into training being on your feet for the extra amount of time walking around and waiting in line. I do think that the natural high of finishing Dopey will give you the adrenaline to carry you through fun times in the parks after the full.

Sleep deprivation is a big part of Dopey - I AM a napper, but my naps are like 2-hours long or else I get really grumpy. I usually spend a week or so "training" myself to wake-up at 3 or so in the morning and then kinda fighting through the day without a nap. It works, for the most part ... and I guess that's how I was able to only sleep for a total of 27 minutes during 40 hours of my recent Ragnar weekend.

Then there's also the deprivation from enjoying things like food & drink at Disney - I think that's the part I've grown to hate THE MOST.

If you can swing it, I would try to do your non-running part of the vacation AFTER Dopey (if possible!), just to save your legs as much as possible for the races and park time during the race weekend.

But as for doable? Totally!

Hallo all! I've been following the thread but not really interacting, other than following DopeyBadger's impressive running on Strava :)

Things are getting excitingly close so I thought I'd uncloak and check-in :)

Myself, my wife and two young kids are spending a week in POR, arriving the 3rd and leaving the 10th. We have a few days to do other stuff around Orlando either side, the current plan is to do Legoland beforehand and KSC afterwards. We'll be doing the expo and kids races on the Friday, my wife's doing the half on the Saturday and I'm doing the full.

I'm not sure how I'll run the marathon - the real target for the week is to have a great holiday, and cross-Atlantic travel and spending time in themeparks isn't textbook marathon prep... then again, I will probably give it a good go. Disney will be my 4th marathon in a little bit over two years (all Dublin City Marathons) - the first went well, the second I didn't finish and the third I did a couple of months ago off not a lot of marathon specific training (though plenty of running in fairness) and it went well enough. I am doing a 50k (my first ultra!) a month after Disney, so worst case I'll get around the course and it's a good training run for that :)

I saw that the recommended time to be on a bus is now 3.30AM - I might have a bit of residual jetlag in my favour here, but it still seems dauntingly early. Especially given that I could jog over from POR in 15 minutes if that was allowed!

My answer to Sunday's question is... well, the entire week in Disney. It'll be my kids first time to a themepark, and we're hoping that they have a week of great memories. A marathon PB would be nice too though ;)

General FP and ARR plan for the Disney part of the trip looks like:
3rd: MK -> Peter Pan, Splash Mountain, Belle and dinner at The Crystal Palce
4th: HS -> Frozen, Toy Story Mania, Muppet Vision, dinner at Mama Melrose
5th: Expo, kids races, maybe do some shopping at Disney Springs, hit up a water park if the weather's ok or hang around POR.
6th: AK & wife does HM, then a late breakfast at Tusker House. Kilimanjaro Safaris, Everest and Rivers of Light
7th: Marathon, then hang around Epcot for the day grazing on beer and food. Frozen Ever After and Mission: Space. Dinner in La Hacienda.
8th: Back to MK... Buzz Lightyear, Seven Dwarfs, Space Mountain and BOG for lunch.
9th: Back to HS.... Star Tours, Beauty and the Beast, Hollywood and Vine for Dinner with the Fantasmic! package.
10th: Checkout - probably pop into one of the parks for half a day. I guess we'll let the kids pick :)

I happened to discover another race to do while over in FL.... the day before we head back to Ireland in Kennedy Space Center (!!!!): https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/...s-calendar/2018/january/event-space-race-2018 - a 4 mile PB is guaranteed since I've never run one before :)

Okay this might be a new one for the runDisney error. They finally posted the event guide in the event. Except they still don’t have the corral maps for the 5k/10k in the guide. Whoops.

Now Florida weather doesn't always cooperate with this, but when my kids were younger we always took the Saturday as a non-park day, and would go to the pool (assuming it isn't freezing) and other things around the resort. This has a multiplying effect of allowing you to soak your legs, play with the kids, and avoid pounding the pavement in the parks. My kids really looked forward to these days, and we'd always do some kind of character meal for brunch/lunch (Ohana or Chef Mickey type of thing). I was usually back from the half marathon by around 8:30, so it worked out well.

I don't remember your kids' ages, but we started running the 5k as a family when my youngest was 5, so that changed everyone's perception of the 5k race day (and now I'm running the 10k with my oldest for the first time this year!). And last year, with the change to actual "metal medals" for the 5k, my kids were even more excited to race.

I wouldn't sweat it. If you've completed the bulk of your program to this point, you're good to go. Maybe not in tip top condition, but ready. One thing is for sure.....you're legs will be fresh! If you don't go out to quick, you should be fine. You'll have to control the urge to move at a quicker pace because you're legs feel so good. If you don't mind me asking, what was your injury?

I had a sharp pain inside my shin, but only when I’d run. X-rays were negative and since it’s gone away (hopefully) with rest and ice, I’m going off the assumption it was my first experience with shin splints.

Others will disagree, but I think you just have to decide what your ultimate Dopey Vacation Expectation is going to be - park goals or time goals.

Personally, I don't try to do any of the Dopey races with any goals in mind other than finishing and having a good time. Park time with my friends is more important. If you're going for time goals - I think you will see it start to have an affect on your vacation (ie. really early bedtime, early meals, etc.).

I hit the wall on Saturday and tend to not do any park time (or, very minimal park time) ... even this year, with no half, I didn't spend much time in the parks at all and chose to rest/stay off my feet. In 2016, I spent most of the day by the pool. I plan to do the same this time around after brunch at STK.

The thing with trying to do everything in the parks is you really need to account for and add into training being on your feet for the extra amount of time walking around and waiting in line. I do think that the natural high of finishing Dopey will give you the adrenaline to carry you through fun times in the parks after the full.

Sleep deprivation is a big part of Dopey - I AM a napper, but my naps are like 2-hours long or else I get really grumpy. I usually spend a week or so "training" myself to wake-up at 3 or so in the morning and then kinda fighting through the day without a nap. It works, for the most part ... and I guess that's how I was able to only sleep for a total of 27 minutes during 40 hours of my recent Ragnar weekend.

Then there's also the deprivation from enjoying things like food & drink at Disney - I think that's the part I've grown to hate THE MOST.

If you can swing it, I would try to do your non-running part of the vacation AFTER Dopey (if possible!), just to save your legs as much as possible for the races and park time during the race weekend.

But as for doable? Totally!

Good points, especially, re: race goals. I think I would do the 5k and half for fun and put more concerted effort toward the full and (maybe) the 10k.

I think the biggest training would be mental and convincing myself I don’t need to barnstorm the parks every day in order to have a successful vacation.

I had a sharp pain inside my shin, but only when I’d run. X-rays were negative and since it’s gone away (hopefully) with rest and ice, I’m going off the assumption it was my first experience with shin splints.
I'm no doctor, but if there was no evidence of a stress fracture in your tibia, then I don think there's anything else in there that it could be other than shin splints. Guess the questions is, why did they come out of nowhere in the middle of training? I hold my breath every time I go out for a run over 12 miles. Occasionally I get a bursitis flare up and typically can stretch it out over a few days, even while continuing my running schedule. But the 20 mile training runs (last one is this Sunday) are brutal. Brutal enough for me to consider the Hanson training methods, which don't have you doing more than 16.5 miles. If it was shin splints, and the pain is gone now, you should be fine. Good luck! Keep a positive attitude.

My initial thought if you could swing not only the vacation time but also your family not being upset at you for being in Disney without them is go down by yourself and have your family fly in on Sunday. You could get an AP (if you don't already have) and do parks on your own if you feel like it or just chill at the hotel during the race days.

You said you did the full and could handle closing down the park, but that is just one day. Sure the 5K and 10K might not tire you from running but possibly getting up so early will.

It's nice you are thinking of your family and wanting to give them their best trip so that's where my suggestion came from. I guess the only way I'd be pressed to say yeah do the family trip with Dopey is if your kids are young enough where you'd already be back in the room for them to go to bed where you could get a good nights rest.

Another thing is depending on where you are staying, when you are waking up each morning in the middle of the night to go to the race, will you wake up everyone?

My experience (and we don't have kids) is we booked another trip back to WDW for later in 2018. Even though we will be there from Tues - Mon, I am feeling almost cheated on having this be a Disney vacation due to the limited amount of park time. But I am also hoping to be in bed pretty early (7-8pm).

Good points, especially, re: race goals. I think I would do the 5k and half for fun and put more concerted effort toward the full and (maybe) the 10k.

I think the biggest training would be mental and convincing myself I don’t need to barnstorm the parks every day in order to have a successful vacation.

Yeah, the mental aspect of aligning four races in four days with a Disney vacation is the hardest part ... well, right after four mornings of early wake-ups!

My first two Dopeys, I had friends coming in to take part in the race weekend that had either never been to Disney or hadn't been as an adult - so it was stressing me out mega to make sure they had a great vacation and that their travel $$ were well-spent to come down for Marathon Weekend. 2018 is totally different as all of my friends coming in for race weekend are either running or are living #APHolderLife so their expectations of race weekend are similar to mine (hit the FP+s that we made, enjoy some great meals, have a blast at Beach Club, etc.). There are three of us in my studio at BCV (me and two of my close GFs), but I'm the only runner. Luckily, one has been through this weekend with me before so she has a good understanding of what all is involved - they know I'm going to be up at the crack of dawn three mornings while they're staying with me, and I know that they may be out in the parks until close AFTER I've tried to settle in for the night.

We've got pretty legit FP+s every day that they're here (along with some top-notch ADRs), but they know not to expect me to do more than what is planned ... and they know that they're always able to find on a lounger at Stormalong Bay or at Hurricane Hannah's if I'm not with them.

As long as everyone is clear on expectations, it's easy peasy! If there are experiences you DEFINITELY don't want to miss out on with the kiddos, make sure those are scheduled either early on in the day OR if it's evening stuff, I would say on Wednesday, Friday or Sunday nights. And then just maybe replicate your Saturday plan from your last WDW Marathon and everything should be golden!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter