Marathon Weekend 2018

I completed my first marathon today: 5:31:50. :)

It was tough going from 22 miles training run to running the full 26. I didn't realize how much you struggle in those last 4 miles and how your real race really begins at mile 20 onwards. So much learned and so much I will bring with me in 3 months to my next race.

Bring it on, Dopey. I am ready for you.
Congratulations courtneybeth! I'll be running my first full at WDW in January. I'm up to 15 miles in my training so I've got a looooong way to go.
You'll be fine for Dopey!

I was literally typing a question wondering about this type of math as I got a notification about a new post to the thread:) Any idea what time H starts? Is there any reason to think the course will change significantly this year?

I'd imagine the course will be generally the same. There might be some small changes due to construction in the parks, but I'd be very surprised if they made wholesale alterations.

I'd imagine the course will be generally the same. There might be some small changes due to construction in the parks, but I'd be very surprised if they made wholesale alterations.

Approximate start times. Not 100% solid, but pretty close.

View attachment 276015

High probability it won't change dramatically, but if we learned anything over the years it's to expect the unexpected.

That was my guess, but I recall someone saying at one point they hoped they'd change it for the 25th, so I was curious if there'd been any rumblings I'd missed. Although I had a general idea of the course, I looked at it again earlier, and now that I've done long runs in the 15-21 range, those stretches on the highway before and after WWOS look tiring, particularly because I've read mostly posts about runners dislike of the WWOS area itself. But as a lover of BW/BC/EPCOT I still believe (naive as I may be) that those last miles will be my favorite:)

Thanks for the start times @DopeyBadger!

Although I had a general idea of the course, I looked at it again earlier, and now that I've done long runs in the 15-21 range, those stretches on the highway before and after WWOS look tiring, particularly because I've read mostly posts about runners dislike of the WWOS area itself.

Leaving ESPN isn't so bad. You're running back past people heading in which gives you a nice mental boost. Plus, it's not too far to MGM and the rides, and then on to Epcot and the drinks.

Leaving ESPN isn't so bad. You're running back past people heading in which gives you a nice mental boost. Plus, it's not too far to MGM and the rides, and then on to Epcot and the drinks.
Speaking of rides, I know you booked Fastpasses last year in DHS. With the new FP/MDE rules I don't think you'll be able to do that anymore and just have to standby them. Someone mentioned the new rules and the marathon and I thought of what you did last year.

Speaking of rides, I know you booked Fastpasses last year in DHS. With the new FP/MDE rules I don't think you'll be able to do that anymore and just have to standby them. Someone mentioned the new rules and the marathon and I thought of what you did last year.

No FPs this year (last Dopey) ... we thought about it, but @FFigawi ended up just walking up to the rides and they let him through.

Thank you for the advice @cavepig and @ZellyB I think you're right that it would be wise to pass characters in the first half. It's really hard to know how my legs are going to feel as I've never even run longer than 15 miles at this point. This is all just such a new experience for me!
I don't have any first-hand experience but it's going to depend a lot on your pace. For ex, if you run a 13mm pace instead of 16mm that gives you almost a 80 min buffer. That's if in fact you're in the very last corral, otherwise the buffer could be more. Did your friend enter a time that required POT?
Yes, we put in 4 hours and 30 minutes as our finish. Now that I have seen many more runners complete marathons on Instagram and other places, I realize that this is a way too optimistic time!! Also, I put in my half marathon POT as 2 hours 17 minutes, so maybe rundisney would push me to a back corral anyway since my estimated time is more optimistic than my POT proves. I think because my friend put in 4h30min estimate and didn't enter a POT that does not bode well for her corral placement?

If you start in corral P and wanted to hit Everest as the park was opening (9:00am), then you would need to run about an 11:00 min/mile to the 13.1 mile mark. These calculations assume the course does not change dramatically prior to Everest.

Math
Corral P starts at 6:35am
AK opens at 9:00am
Pace to make 13.1 miles in 2:25 is an 11:00 min/mile (+/- a few seconds) *technically arriving at 8:59:06

Let me know if you'd like me to make any other calculations as my spreadsheet can do it pretty quick to any major milestone on any of the marathon weekend courses.
OK, these calculations are awesome! Thanks so much! It sounds like we need to decide if Everest is a priority for us. I'm a little worried that two of us weaving in a back corral trying to make that time is unrealistic, but we shall see!

I was pretty bummed about this whole thing yesterday, but have since realized that no matter what this is going to be an amazing experience! I will be running my very first marathon in Disney World with one of my very favorite people! Even if all we do is pass and wave at characters, this will still be something I will never forget. I'm pretty grateful that this thing is even possible for me.

Thank you for the advice @cavepig and @ZellyB I think you're right that it would be wise to pass characters in the first half. It's really hard to know how my legs are going to feel as I've never even run longer than 15 miles at this point. This is all just such a new experience for me!

Yes, we put in 4 hours and 30 minutes as our finish. Now that I have seen many more runners complete marathons on Instagram and other places, I realize that this is a way too optimistic time!! Also, I put in my half marathon POT as 2 hours 17 minutes, so maybe rundisney would push me to a back corral anyway since my estimated time is more optimistic than my POT proves. I think because my friend put in 4h30min estimate and didn't enter a POT that does not bode well for her corral placement?

OK, these calculations are awesome! Thanks so much! It sounds like we need to decide if Everest is a priority for us. I'm a little worried that two of us weaving in a back corral trying to make that time is unrealistic, but we shall see!

I was pretty bummed about this whole thing yesterday, but have since realized that no matter what this is going to be an amazing experience! I will be running my very first marathon in Disney World with one of my very favorite people! Even if all we do is pass and wave at characters, this will still be something I will never forget. I'm pretty grateful that this thing is even possible for me.

SO.

Here's my experience with Runner Relations (both as a runner and as a volunteer/TrackShack volunteer) and what I would tell my BRF to do in this situation ... ONLY IF HER PROOF OF TIME RACE WAS RUN BEFORE THE PROOF OF TIME DEADLINE:

1. ASAP, have her email disneysports@trackshack.com to plead her case - she entered a 4:30 finish time, but forgot to put in the actual link as she got her dates mixed up. Send the link to the results AND a screenshot as an attachment. If this is her first-ever RunDisney race, the process can be extremely overwhelming especially since RunDisney is terrible about communication when it comes to deadlines.

2. Have her print out the following:
- PoT Race Result
- Registration Receipt from Active
And have her bring those with her to the Expo

3. After she picks up her bib, have her swing by Runner Relations for an in-person chance to plead her case if TrackShack says no right out of the gate. As long as that PoT was run BEFORE the PoT cutoff, chances are very good they'll hear her out and move her up to a corral closer to 4:30 - a 4:30 marathon is way different than a 6:30 marathon, and it's safer for all involved if the runner going for a 4:30 is around like-speed runners instead of trying to make up time and swerve around people (and over curbs and grass) to get some room to run their own pace.

Good luck!

That works lol. I just thought I would mention it since it was discussed last year.

I appreciate you looking out for us. We went standby or single rider for each of the rides. Not as efficient as FP, but about as effective. :)

That was my guess, but I recall someone saying at one point they hoped they'd change it for the 25th, so I was curious if there'd been any rumblings I'd missed. Although I had a general idea of the course, I looked at it again earlier, and now that I've done long runs in the 15-21 range, those stretches on the highway before and after WWOS look tiring, particularly because I've read mostly posts about runners dislike of the WWOS area itself. But as a lover of BW/BC/EPCOT I still believe (naive as I may be) that those last miles will be my favorite:)

Thanks for the start times @DopeyBadger!

The last 3-4 miles of the full are without a doubt my favorite part of the race and why the Disney full is my favorite race anywhere.A marathon is called a marathon for a reason,its a long way,but at Disney you can break the race up into segments,Epcot to MK,MK to AK,AK to WWoS and then once you get to DHS,the Boardwalk and Epcot which are also my favorite areas in WDW and are full of spectators cheering you on it makes for a great finish of the race.The WWoS section is basically about a 5K and yes it feels like its a probably longer after having run around another 5K from AK to WWoS but I actually enjoy WWoS,I look forward to running Champion stadium and overall I enjoy the complex.

Okay, so I have always run rD races with very good PoT (sub-2hr half times). This year I was not able to submit a PoT since I made a last minute decision to add the marathon and I don't have a race in the last 2 years run for time. I submitted my estimated finish time at 2:50 for the half for our group, and 5:40 for the full. Both will be very easily accomplished, but I have no idea what corral to expect based on those entries without a PoT. Anyone have any idea what I should expect?

Okay, so I have always run rD races with very good PoT (sub-2hr half times). This year I was not able to submit a PoT since I made a last minute decision to add the marathon and I don't have a race in the last 2 years run for time. I submitted my estimated finish time at 2:50 for the half for our group, and 5:40 for the full. Both will be very easily accomplished, but I have no idea what corral to expect based on those entries without a PoT. Anyone have any idea what I should expect?

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 8.43.18 AM.png

The last two years of POT vs corral position (unofficially). So potentially, around corral L.

SO.

Here's my experience with Runner Relations (both as a runner and as a volunteer/TrackShack volunteer) and what I would tell my BRF to do in this situation ... ONLY IF HER PROOF OF TIME RACE WAS RUN BEFORE THE PROOF OF TIME DEADLINE:

1. ASAP, have her email disneysports@trackshack.com to plead her case - she entered a 4:30 finish time, but forgot to put in the actual link as she got her dates mixed up. Send the link to the results AND a screenshot as an attachment. If this is her first-ever RunDisney race, the process can be extremely overwhelming especially since RunDisney is terrible about communication when it comes to deadlines.

2. Have her print out the following:
- PoT Race Result
- Registration Receipt from Active
And have her bring those with her to the Expo

3. After she picks up her bib, have her swing by Runner Relations for an in-person chance to plead her case if TrackShack says no right out of the gate. As long as that PoT was run BEFORE the PoT cutoff, chances are very good they'll hear her out and move her up to a corral closer to 4:30 - a 4:30 marathon is way different than a 6:30 marathon, and it's safer for all involved if the runner going for a 4:30 is around like-speed runners instead of trying to make up time and swerve around people (and over curbs and grass) to get some room to run their own pace.

Good luck!
THANK YOU!! :worship::worship: This is definintely worth giving it a try!!

Inquiring minds wanna know: What time do beer carts in Epcot open on Marathon day? (priorities)

I've got this!

So - this year, the bar next to EE opened early ... like at 7:30 a.m.! @FFigawi was the first person to buy a drink during the Marathon!

France opens early, at 9 a.m., but most of the carts don't open until 11 a.m. Germany may open at 10:30 a.m., but it's been hit-or-miss (it opened early in 2016 but not this year).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter