• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

I wonder if the shirts will be the colors of the backgrounds? Is the marathon background color brown?
I was thinking about this too and I hope not. Way too many blues and dark colors. I didn’t do any of the races, but this year’s shirts were so colorful and I’d hope for more variety next year.

And speaking of the themes, the artwork is adorable but I’m a combination of happy and a tiny bit disappointed. I’m currently signed up for the 10K and I really like Oswald, but also was excited for Minnie. If I end up doing the marathon too, I liked the idea of Minnie and Mickey medals. But at least they’re together for that race, and a spinner medal would be awesome! And it is kind of cool to think of the combination of Mickey and Oswald, the original Walt Disney creation. I think my dad also thinks having Oswald for the 10K is neat. He is also signed up, and did it last year as well. He said at the time when he saw Oswald for the 5K that he wanted an Oswald shirt. So now he’ll get one. :goodvibes

Aw man,I’m so bummed to miss the Pluto medal! Part of the appeal of dopey last year was to get a Pluto medal and then they switched it up on me. Figures they bring it back the year I can’t go.

These updates did increase my FOMO. When I got into NYC this year we agreed that 2021 would be my Dopey year (with family members joining different races with me). But now I'm consider Goofy this year. Is it crazy to do two marathons about 3 months apart? Southwest releases their schedule next month and I have more than enough miles for the wife and I to fly down. If I can get an economy resort for around $130/night this could be (in Disney terms) a not too expensive fun weekend without kids when it is cold at home. Ugh, I think I am crazy.

I would say no, it’s not crazy. However, I may not be the sanest person to ask. I’m doing the Freedom Challenge (Philly 8K & Half on 11/23, Full on 11/24) followed by Dopey.

No, I did it in 2017/2018. I ran a local full the same day as NYC then did Disney in January, just the full though.

It wasn't bad, though I did get sick of training and actually got sick after Christmas so my peak week wasn't good for Disney. I still ran almost the exact same time though. I think I bested my November marathon by 15 seconds at disney (for 26.2 miles, not the actual 26.87 I ran at Disney).

Your story is very inspiring! You are an amazing example of strength and courage. It will be an honor to toe the line with you.

I'm staying at Caribbean Beach. I've never run WDW before, but from what I have heard, it helps a little on the logistics side to stick to the resorts near Epcot, if you can - since all the races start in the Epcot parking lot. BC/YC/BW would be ideal if you can afford that (I can't) but as has been previously stated I am sure that wherever you are on property, they'll get you to where you need to be. Plus, Minnie Vans!!

Please keep us updated on how your training is going. Would love to follow your journey.
thank you for the kind words and encouragement. The training will be a challenge as i am not a runner at all. I use to joke "that if you see me running you better start running in the same direction because something is chasing me"; which was funny until me any my wife were almost chased by a wild elephant in Africa last year. i'm gonna start training soon, but i have over 7 months to get there, so hopefully ill make it.

Something like enhanced FastPass access or ADR guarantees with numbers tied to the race type wouldn't really cost them anything, but would provide a little more incentive.
I can't help but think that offering more FastPasses to marathon runners might really sweeten that pot. Since the marathon will likely put even the fastest finisher in the parks late, let alone those of us who need 6+ hours, extra FastPasses would help us feel more bang for our buck in the park on that day.

Is it crazy to do two marathons about 3 months apart? Southwest releases their schedule next month and I have more than enough miles for the wife and I to fly down.
I say no, but then again I decided to run a half marathon with just 3 weeks training which caused me to believe that the marathon was not actually impossible for me, so I decided to run the my first marathon as part of Dopey.

Let's say 'survivable'.
This is a much better word.

The training will be a challenge as i am not a runner at all.
I used to feel that way too. Just keep working on it and you'll get there. The great thing about runDisney is that their minimum pace is very friendly to beginners and/or slow runners such as myself. Your story is incredible and I think it's very inspiring that you're undertaking this challenge. It took me years of running and successfully finishing races before I decided I even wanted to attempt the marathon.

i'm gonna start training soon, but i have over 7 months to get there, so hopefully ill make it.
You have plenty of time. Two recommendations from me. First, find a training plan that works for you. It has to work with your schedule and feel achievable, but also know that sometimes you will have to make sacrifices to get that run in, especially when the longer ones start to come. Second, if possible do a local race or two before the marathon if you've never raced before. I made countless mistakes leading up to and in the very beginning of my first race that nearly ended my running right then and there. While I did endure my way to that finish line, I applied the lessons I learned from race number one to race number two and discovered that I could have a great time doing something difficult.

Of course all of our theories are just speculation. Who really knows what runDisney is thinking? (And after the announcement of the completely random themes for this year’s Wine & Dine...maybe they aren’t thinking!) But...I cant help but think the addition of Minnie to the marathon is a gender equality thing. I’m a girl, but not a girlie girl, and I preferred the marathon just being Mickey. I don’t need a girlie theme to tell me that girls can run marathons too.

If there is some truth to this theory, that left an opening for the 10k. I know I reached out to runDisney with my disappointment (devastation really) when Pluto was removed from the 5k last year. If I was not alone, that could explain Pluto’s return. With the 10k now available, they just shifted Oswald up to that slot. Why they are so stuck on Oswald, I don’t know. It’s almost as if they are trying to promote something specific...

If runDisney is going to insist on changing race themes, they really need to announce it BEFORE races go on sale!

Hi running Disney folks! I have just gotten back into running over the past year, after many years away, and I’m registered to run the half marathon at Marathon Weekend 2020 with my childhood best friend! So excited. I’m new to racing, as in the past I just ran around on my own, and I have a question on Proof of Time that I’d love your wisdom on.

I ran my first 10K earlier this month (part of the Title 9 Mermaid run series) and finished with a time just under 1:02. It was officially chip timed, with results posted at raceroster and on their event site, but I don’t think USATF certified, because I assume if it was, the event site would specifically say that. I have seen some conflicting statements about whether that matters, even though the rundisney site says it. I did submit the POT info and link to the race results when I registered.

I am *not* looking to be super focused on time at Disney — it will only be my second ever half marathon (first one late this year!) and, well, it’s Disney, it’s about the fun. But I would like to have an appropriate corral so I’m potentially around similarly paced folks to some extent, to make it a little smoother. How important do you think it is that I hunt down a USATF race? If important, this may be a dumb question but how do I even find one?

These updates did increase my FOMO. When I got into NYC this year we agreed that 2021 would be my Dopey year (with family members joining different races with me). But now I'm consider Goofy this year. Is it crazy to do two marathons about 3 months apart? Southwest releases their schedule next month and I have more than enough miles for the wife and I to fly down. If I can get an economy resort for around $130/night this could be (in Disney terms) a not too expensive fun weekend without kids when it is cold at home. Ugh, I think I am crazy.
no not at all I ran the London and Belfast marathons this year a week apart and have another one next week lol!

pish posh! That's marketing talk! At least it had better be because I'm holding out too!
I was. holding out but then asked a friend a run disney ..they told me they expect the Dopey to see out within the next few weeks!

(And after the announcement of the completely random themes for this year’s Wine & Dine...maybe they aren’t thinking!)
runDisney does not seem to realize that they have different types of customers: The repeat/regulars/locals and the first timers who think this will be one and done thing... While a variation in theme can be pleasant for the first group, the second is likely to look for a Mickey or a recognizable character (or a princess, or a Star Wars character for those weekends) somewhere on the medal. If someone chose to run a Space theme race, they probably wish for a shuttle or a rocket on the medal, not a pirate, a glass of wine or a donkey.

Last edited:
How important do you think it is that I hunt down a USATF race? If important, this may be a dumb question but how do I even find one?

First, Welcome! The POT guidelines do NOT specify that a USATF cert is needed. (They don't even specifically say that it has to be chip timed). Here's what they say (from the RD website under Race Policies)

"We do not accept relays, self-timed, training, trail runs or virtual runs as proof of time. Proof of time must be provided by the participant for each individual race from an officially timed 10K, 12K, 15K, 10-Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon race reflecting results within the last 2 years.

If you submit a proof of time from a race distance other than a Half Marathon or Marathon, an industry standard calculation will be applied to equate your finish time. A valid proof of time provided at the time of registration must include the following: Name of Race, Distance, City, State, Date, Finish time, Link to Results."

But as a matter of interest, here is a link to the USATF web site where you can search for races.

http://www.usatf.org/calendars/index.asp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter