Marathon Weekend 2021

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney ... what is the most quintessential Disney parks experience? In other words, if you brought a first timer to Disney, what would you do to show them “THIS is Disney”? Rides, shows, restaurants, etc. Anything goes, but I want to be inspired by your answers!

A few years ago, I would have said rope dropping MK at the train station, coupled with that first reveal of Main Street, USA. That entire experience - crowds and all - always felt so purely Disney to me.

Now, I’d probably go to the opposite end of the day. I still pick Wishes! over Happily Ever After, but HEA is a gorgeous spectacle that really achieves that sense of Disney Magic. Bonus points for being able to say after, “Now 75 percent of the crowd is leaving and we can practically walk on any ride.”

Have a great week, everyone!
For me it's grabbing the monorail at TTC and heading to MK! It's a great way to introduce "first timers" to WDW starting with the MK and the gradual introduction via the monorail as you point out key landmarks along the way.

Honorable mention to an evening walk around Crescent Lake taking in the lights and atmosphere of the Epcot Resorts and catching a glimpse of the higher fireworks from both Epcot and HS!

Last edited:
For this week’s Sundays are for Disney ... what is the most quintessential Disney parks experience? In other words, if you brought a first timer to Disney, what would you do to show them “THIS is Disney”? Rides, shows, restaurants, etc. Anything goes, but I want to be inspired by your answers!

It kind of has to be waking up Main Street, seeing the castle, and watching one of the character shows, doesn’t it? That’s not what I like about Disney, but that’s certainly what many people probably have in their heads when they think of Disney.

For me it’s arriving to MK in the morning, having the ferry dropping people off, the resort boats as well, Monorail overhead, the train coming into the station, and then walking onto Main Street with happy families. The Main Street vehicles out and about with the Dapper Dans singing and the Main Street Citizens greeting guests.

It kind of has to be waking up Main Street, seeing the castle, and watching one of the character shows, doesn’t it? That’s not what I like about Disney, but that’s certainly what many people probably have in their heads when they think of Disney.

I don’t think it *has* to be anything, but I don’t necessarily disagree with you. When someone thinks of Disney, their first thought is probably of the castle.

But maybe it’s Splash during the fireworks. SSE. PeopleMover at Sunset. IllumiNations from UK with a drink in your hand. Right now, it might be the mad rush of getting a BG for ROTR.

Really, and not to be a total gatekeeper, but maybe the ultimate Disney experience is the marathon. Four parks, food, music, drinks, crowds, camaraderie.

SAFD: I think everyone experiences Disney differently, so this is a really tough question. Definitely MK, because that's my favorite park. I think I'd do a combination of a "classic" dark ride (my favorite is probably Winnie the Pooh, but I could go for anything), a thrill ride (I recommend Big Thunder Mountain for this experience, even though 7DMT and Space are my faves), and a character meet-and-greet. Getting a little bit of the variety of Disney all in one.
(Is it cheating to pick 3 things? Not that that would stop me, I'm just curious if I'm cheating)

Really, and not to be a total gatekeeper, but maybe the ultimate Disney experience is the marathon. Four parks, food, music, drinks, crowds, camaraderie.

So I guess I really don't like Disney very much then :) (kidding ... although I really don't think that I'd do the marathon again, I'm much happier with the idea of 5K/10K)

Since the question states, “THIS is Disney” it would have to be a day at Disneyland! To make it “the most quintessential Disney parks experience” I would recommend the Walk in Walt’s Footsteps Tour. I have done this tour and it was nothing short of magical! The tour guides tell amazing stories about Walt and the creation of the parks as well as some of its hidden details. Our tour guide even teared up when he talked about Walt’s passing and then played his favorite song, Feed the Birds. We saw the Club 33 lobby (back when they still had the fancy elevator) and even had an opportunity to see the inside of Walt’s apartment! THAT is Disney magic!

If you are looking for “THIS is WDW” my answer would be very different, especially if it was for someone who had been to Walt’s Disneyland. In this case I would say “the most quintessential” WDW experience would be a day at Epcot (preferably without half of the park under construction). Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, followed by eating, drinking and shopping around the world!

SAFD:

I think I’ve been to Disney enough now that I can have a quintessential experience in any of the parks on any given day. There is so much that I like about each of them. It’s not one thing in any of the parks that achieves this; I can have a quintessential day riding all the rides/riding virtually no rides, seeing characters/not seeing characters, eating at quick service/table service/signature dining, seeing parades/not seeing parades, ending the night with the nighttime spectacular or heading out early.

If i were to design a day for someone going their first time it would be at MK, I’d try not to build up any one experience too much. Obviously, heading up Main Street is both essential and unavoidable. We’d have to hit Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Splash, Big Thunder, HM, Peter Pan, Dumbo, and Space Mountain. I would want to see Festival of Fantasy and HEA as well. I love splitting a full day in the parks with a late lunch and Crystal Palace would fit that bill. There are other attractions I’d enjoy, but I don’t necessarily consider essential (7DMT, Pooh, Space Ranger Spin); there are also attractions others would consider essential that I do not (I don’t enjoy Small World and while I like PeopleMover and Carousel of Progress fine, they don’t rise to essential for me:confused3).

And, of course, quintessential Disney would also include awkward bystander experiences as parents and children scream at one another.

SAFD: My quintessential Disney introduction revolves around the Magic Kingdom. I’m not a rope dropper, so I tend to get there mid-morning. The experience starts with the walk down Main Street, drinking in the ambience and watching the castle get closer until the street opens up onto the castle plaza. After a couple of minutes to absorb the scene, it’s on to Liberty Square for the introductory Haunted Mansion ride. Then it’s into Columbia Harbour House for lunch in the generally peaceful upstairs seating area. That concludes the introduction and we can go most any direction for the afternoon.

SAFD: For me there are two parts to this - showing the magic of some of the original attractions but then also showing newbies things they'd be surprised to see at Disney. I'd start by taking the monorail or ferry boat to Magic Kingdom, seeing the morning bustle on Main Street, and watching the trolley show. We'd do a dark ride, a classic attraction (PotC or HM), and a thrill ride. I think that's the quintessential Disney that new guests might be expecting. But the reason we keep coming back are also for the wow moments, things that would get a newbie to say "THIS is Disney?" I'm thinking Flight of Passage, visiting Animal Kingdom Lodge to see animals roaming around just off the lobby, and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge for immersive theming. And of course, we'd have to snack on Mickey-shaped food and end the day with Fireworks back at MK.

SAFD:
This is such a tough question. It really depends on the person you are introducing Disney to.

If it is a young family, I would harken back to one of my favorite times in the park that meant so much to me and I can still recall it clearly today. Taking my son into the Magic Kingdom for a stop in the barber shop. Having them provide him a magical experience during his haircut and adding hidden mickeys to the back of his head and adding a finish of pixie dust.

Seeing him so proud of his new haircut and showing it off to guests all around. Smiling from cheek to cheek while we take photo pass pictures on Mainstreet. It still chokes me up today when I walk into Magic Kingdom and see the castle at the end of main street. It brings all those wonderful memories flooding back. That would be a great introduction for a young family with a little boy.

If it is a young family with a daughter, then I reflect back on the whole Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique experience my daughter had. Getting treated like a princess and beaming as she walked around the Magic Kingdom and prepared for Dinner with the Fairy God Mother at Cinderella’s Royal Table. Everyone greeting her as a princess…. classic Disney!

These are examples of experiences that immerse the people into the layers and depth of Disney. Ones that are tied to experiences that will never be forgotten.

If they are teens, then bringing them to Hollywood Studios maybe the way to go. To give them a look at classic Hollywood, but keeping their interest with some of the thrill-rides.

If it is someone that is not really into Disney movies or history, then it would take a little questioning on what they are interested in. More times than not, if you can figure out what they are passionate about, there is somewhere in Disney that caters to those interests. Then as you start introducing them to more of what Disney is, you start to peel back the layers and details. That usually converts most skeptics to what Disney is all about.

I've had the most experience with taking first timers to Disneyland, and taking them opening to closing when the hours are 8 AM to midnight. Starting at rope drop and getting all of the major Fantasyland rides done within the first hour and using Fastpass, taking a midday break on the monorail to the Disneyland Hotel for a drink break, then back to the parks and ending the day with Fantasmic and then fireworks.

At Disney World, when I took some friends with me who'd been to Disneyland before, one of the memories they say that sticks out was getting a six pack of beer at the Contemporary and going up to the observation deck to watch the MK fireworks and then turning to watch the Electrical Water Pageant.

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney ... what is the most quintessential Disney parks experience?
Disneyland will forever be the most special Disney experience because it is the only park that Walt was directly involved in. There is something just very special about it that you won't find in any other Disney park. It is important to recall what a revolutionary thing it was in the 1950's to have this beautiful, clean theme park that brought beloved movies and characters to life, as we take it for granted today with so many great theme parks out there. DL is where it all started!

Maybe I’m just a weird nerd but to me Disney is a stroll through EPCOT. It’s just something about it that makes me smile and every time I’ve brought a newcomer to Disney, EPCOT is the park I take them to. yes the park changes over the years but Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land just feel like home.
I think it goes back to my robotic days in high school.

SAFD: As a local-ish to WDW Floridian, I've helped a lot of folks plan their first visits! Most of them are not that into Disney, so that colors my suggestions quite a bit. I'm with @Dis_Yoda: EP is high on my list of "experiences you can't get at another theme park." When I brought my best friend and her family with little kids, and we only had two days, we did the highlights of MK - all the dark rides, lunch at Crystal Palace, a parade - and did EP the second day.

For me it’s arriving to MK in the morning, having the ferry dropping people off, the resort boats as well, Monorail overhead, the train coming into the station, and then walking onto Main Street with happy families. The Main Street vehicles out and about with the Dapper Dans singing and the Main Street Citizens greeting guests.
Hi yeah this is gonna be you at Disneyland and I cannnnnoootttttt wait. 😍😭

Since the question states, “THIS is Disney” it would have to be a day at Disneyland! To make it “the most quintessential Disney parks experience” I would recommend the Walk in Walt’s Footsteps Tour. I have done this tour and it was nothing short of magical! The tour guides tell amazing stories about Walt and the creation of the parks as well as some of its hidden details. Our tour guide even teared up when he talked about Walt’s passing and then played his favorite song, Feed the Birds. We saw the Club 33 lobby (back when they still had the fancy elevator) and even had an opportunity to see the inside of Walt’s apartment! THAT is Disney magic!

If you are looking for “THIS is WDW” my answer would be very different, especially if it was for someone who had been to Walt’s Disneyland. In this case I would say “the most quintessential” WDW experience would be a day at Epcot (preferably without half of the park under construction). Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, followed by eating, drinking and shopping around the world!
I really love Disney World, but Disneyland just feels like a more intimate experience. Walt Disney's influence permeates the park. And it's unique to Disneyland itself. Imagineer Tony Baxter described the Magic Kingdom as Disney on a grand scale, but then referred to Disneyland as the crown jewel of the Disney parks. To me the light in the window above the Fire Department in Disneyland says it all. That light was always on whenever Walt was in Disneyland during his life. They keep it on all day long now.
If it is a young family with a daughter, then I reflect back on the whole Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique experience my daughter had. Getting treated like a princess and beaming as she walked around the Magic Kingdom and prepared for Dinner with the Fairy God Mother at Cinderella’s Royal Table. Everyone greeting her as a princess…. classic Disney!
My niece spent her birthday dressed as a princess when she was 3. Although a little bit too young to understand when cast members called her "your highness" or bowed to her, she had a great day. This past October, my 9 year old nephew was wearing an X-wing pilot costume in Galaxy's Edge and Rey told him that she would have to tell Poe Dameron that he had another pilot recruit to join the Resistance. My nephew was smiling from ear to ear.

As a side note, this kind of experience does not have to be exclusive to children. If an adult is willing to play along and "pretend" it's all real, the characters are often more than willing to play along and let the adults pretend it's real with them.
If it is someone that is not really into Disney movies or history, then it would take a little questioning on what they are interested in. More times than not, if you can figure out what they are passionate about, there is somewhere in Disney that caters to those interests. Then as you start introducing them to more of what Disney is, you start to peel back the layers and details. That usually converts most skeptics to what Disney is all about.
I t think this touches on a big key to creating the quintessential Disney experience for another. You have to find out what interests them. As magical as it is for me when Star Wars characters treat me like I'm part of their story in Galaxy's Edge, someone who is not into Star Wars will not feel the same way. So you have to figure out what sort of experience they are looking to have.
Disneyland will forever be the most special Disney experience because it is the only park that Walt was directly involved in. There is something just very special about it that you won't find in any other Disney park. It is important to recall what a revolutionary thing it was in the 1950's to have this beautiful, clean theme park that brought beloved movies and characters to life, as we take it for granted today with so many great theme parks out there. DL is where it all started!
Whenever someone insults Disneyland because it's so much smaller than the Magic Kingdom, I just point out that it has something the Magic Kingdom will never have. Walt Disney personally built the place.
Maybe I’m just a weird nerd but to me Disney is a stroll through EPCOT. It’s just something about it that makes me smile and every time I’ve brought a newcomer to Disney, EPCOT is the park I take them to. yes the park changes over the years but Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land just feel like home.
I think it goes back to my robotic days in high school.
You're not alone. In fact I always get the I'm in Disney World moment when I see Spaceship Earth. Going under the welcome sign on the Magical Express bus ride doesn't do it. Seeing Cinderella Castle doesn't do it. On at least one occasion I have spent the entire first day of the trip in other parks not named Epcot and still do not feel like I'm in Disney World until I go to Epcot and see Spaceship Earth. In my case I think it's because Disneyland has a castle, so Spaceship Earth and Epcot stand out because they are different.
There are no boats at DL tho...
Maybe not like that, but there are boats in Pirates of the Caribbean (which I half seriously argue that Disney World does not have) and It's a Small World. Plus, you can run around Donald's Boat in Mickey's Toontown. So Disneyland has boats from a certain point of view. . . .

Maybe not like that, but there are boats in Pirates of the Caribbean (which I half seriously argue that Disney World does not have) and It's a Small World. Plus, you can run around Donald's Boat in Mickey's Toontown. So Disneyland has boats from a certain point of view. . . .
Not to mention it has THE boat...the Mark Twain. The Columbia is pretty cool. And DL has submarines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter