Marathon Weekend 2023

This sucks. I have a GF reservation that I have had since 11 months out. I just need the 2 bibs! I have started my training but I don't want to get to big mileage without the certainty of a Dopey. I might have to just rent out the reservation...... That irritates me.

Are you following the twitter account @RunDisRegStatus ? It will let you know the moment it goes to Open for registration.

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! It is time for this week’s SAFD:
Today’s question: Name something your experience in one of the parks that is distinctly Disney for you?

I have two. The first is getting on the monorail. The process, smell, announcements, everything. Second is being in the WS early before it is open. When I lived in FL I would often go to Epcot at opening when the WD was closed and have breakfast on a bench there. It is a little less quiet there in the morning now with more stuff opened but I do still love the slower part of the morning before the park really wakes up.

SAFD: Walking through the "coming attractions" tunnel and turning onto Town Square, first thing in the morning, with the flowers still wet with dew (or as Floridians call it, "just air"), and 'Flitterin' playing at the exact same tempo as my heart.

And at the opposite end, riding Prince Charming Regal Carrousel just before close, as the park empties out and it's just you, the music, and the magic.

One experience that is ultimate Disney to me is Carousel of Progress. It's the attraction that brings me back to the earliest days of WDW and I love the narrator talking about Walt's inspiration behind it. Yes, it's dated, but to me it has an old school vibe that you don't find much of left in the parks.
Carousel of Progress can be a twice or more per trip experience for me. Once to make sure I actually enjoy the show and any other times it makes for a wonderful air conditioned nap if I am in need of one thus saving me from going back to my resort.
SAFD: Hmmm… I think my answer would have to be Mickey’s Philharmagic. I am a 90s baby so I grew up with some of the classic animated films and their music, and Philharmagic just exudes all of that happiness for me. I love how it embeds the Fab 5 with those movies.

My other answer would be the Memento Mori shop outside Haunted Mansion. Memento Mori translates to Remember You Will Die and the juxtaposition of that phrase and Disney just gets me. Even though Disney is associated with happiness, a lot of its stories involve a lot of darkness and I have always found that interesting and not talked about much. We talk about it a lot in the Children’s Literature course I teach.
I think one of the reasons that Disney stories feature a lot of darkness is because that makes the eventual triumph of happily ever after carry more weight. Seeing the cruelty of the stepmother and stepsisters makes the ending we know is coming for Cinderella more meaningful. In order to find Aurora, Phillip has to fight Maleficent. GK Chesterton has been credited with saying "Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

SAFD: I'm going to say characters because of just how much magic they bring to a given moment. Some of my very favorite and most memorable moments in the parks are interactions with characters because they help transport me to another place, be that my favorite galaxy far, far away, whatever random antics Chip and Dale have planned, or Mickey counting all my medals after my first Dopey.

Hey guys I need some help.
I am getting my shirt made and I want a funny running thing for Turning Red on the back of my shirt. What would be a good funny running saying? Also if it works in 26.2 miles would be great too.

Hey guys I need some help.
I am getting my shirt made and I want a funny running thing for Turning Red on the back of my shirt. What would be a good funny running saying? Also if it works in 26.2 miles would be great too.
do you want it to be a riff on a line/theme from the movie? or just any saying?

Something referencing the movie so it could be a line or theme, etc...

“This little quirk runs in our family.” -Ming​

“We’ve got your fluffy back.” -Miriam​

… for 26.2miles (since it will be printed on your back)

“This is a critical time. Mei needs a strong hand more than ever. Don’t let her out of your sight.” -Mei’s Grandmother​

… for 26.2 miles

“Why are you moving like that?!” -Ming​

… for 26.2 miles

“Mei-Mei, I know this is upsetting, but we are going to get through this together. I have ibuprofen, vitamin B, a hot water bottle, and pads.​

(this…26.2 miles run, cross « hot », cross « pads » and replace with « running shoes » or « a Disney castle »)

“Ready to change the world?” -Mei​

“Why didn’t you warn me?” -Panda Mei​

… that a Marathon is 26.2 miles

“I hate this! I’m slobby. I’m smelly. My mom won’t even look at me, and now 4-Town?” -Mei​

… 4 parks and 26.2 miles

“It’s easy. When I start to get emotional, all I do is imagine the people I love most in the whole world.​

emotional… because I see the castle
world… and what left of a 26.2 miles run

“This little quirk runs in our family.” -Ming​

“We’ve got your fluffy back.” -Miriam​

… for 26.2miles (since it will be printed on your back)

“This is a critical time. Mei needs a strong hand more than ever. Don’t let her out of your sight.” -Mei’s Grandmother​

… for 26.2 miles

“Why are you moving like that?!” -Ming​

… for 26.2 miles

“Mei-Mei, I know this is upsetting, but we are going to get through this together. I have ibuprofen, vitamin B, a hot water bottle, and pads.​

(this…26.2 miles run, cross « hot », cross « pads » and replace with « running shoes » or « a Disney castle »)

“Ready to change the world?” -Mei​

“Why didn’t you warn me?” -Panda Mei​

… that a Marathon is 26.2 miles

“I hate this! I’m slobby. I’m smelly. My mom won’t even look at me, and now 4-Town?” -Mei​

… 4 parks and 26.2 miles

“It’s easy. When I start to get emotional, all I do is imagine the people I love most in the whole world.​

emotional… because I see the castle
world… and what left of a 26.2 miles run
Ohh my gosh those are wondeful!!! Thank u!!!

Yes, I live in suburban Chicago and have run around a dozen HMs in Illinois.

I was thinking about the Urban Bourbon HM in Louisville which crosses a bridge over to Indiana but I have done Indiana and Kentucky multiple times as well. I think there is a Minnesota/North Dakota HM in Fargo so perhaps I can check off two states in that one.

There is also a HM (or maybe just a M) that starts in Detroit and goes into Canada....two countries in one race. When my daughter lived in Germany there was a local HM that ran through three countries; Germany, Switzerland, and France.

Disers.....What other multi-state HM's are you aware of?
Sorry if I missed it, have you done Flying Pig in Cincinnati? It goes into Kentucky for a bit.

ETA: whoops, see lol, I now see that you said you've been in KY a bunch.

SAFD:

San Francisco Marathon 7/24
Quad City Marathon 9/25
WIne and Dine Race and a half challenge 10k/half 11/4-11/5
Dopey in January

Might add something else depending on kids' activities schedules
When is Dopey in January?

Just checking in to join the thread. I had ruptured a disc in my back in early June so I was nervous about how the training would start but I am back on track for January, safely, I hope. Deep irony. Rented grandma (my mother) an EV to help keep up during our trip in early June to WDW, blew up my back one day taking it of rented mini van unpacking for mid afternoon break. Would not recommend! 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter