Marathon Weekend 2024

TAFDD (on Wednesday):
I was able to make some ADRs this morning, I have to wait until Saturday to make more.
So far:
Whispering Canyon Breakfast
Skipper Canteen
Story Book Dining
Liberty Tree Tavern

I also booked Wild Africa Trek. I’m excited to try this!
We did Wild Africa Trek almost ten years ago and its still one of our favorite Disney memories ever!

Starting to think about my plan for spectating the marathon in January. I'm staying at Bay Lake and will walk out to the road (or possibly closer to MK if security allows). Assuming the course doesn't change significantly I should be around mile 9.5.

Having run it 3 times myself, I've been considering what would be most helpful and inspiring for the runners at that point. Signs are a given, and I could have mints or candy to hand out (assuming security doesn't stop me at some point). Any thoughts on things you've seen at races that were unique or helpful? My plan is to stay out until the very last runners pass by and then possibly go over to the finish line! (I just have to be out of my room by 11 and store my bags for the move to AK.)

And for those of you running it, please know I'm happy to take things you no longer want to carry but want to keep, or pass off items you may need at that point. I'm actually very excited to do this!

Starting to think about my plan for spectating the marathon in January. I'm staying at Bay Lake and will walk out to the road (or possibly closer to MK if security allows). Assuming the course doesn't change significantly I should be around mile 9.5.

Having run it 3 times myself, I've been considering what would be most helpful and inspiring for the runners at that point. Signs are a given, and I could have mints or candy to hand out (assuming security doesn't stop me at some point). Any thoughts on things you've seen at races that were unique or helpful? My plan is to stay out until the very last runners pass by and then possibly go over to the finish line! (I just have to be out of my room by 11 and store my bags for the move to AK.)

And for those of you running it, please know I'm happy to take things you no longer want to carry but want to keep, or pass off items you may need at that point. I'm actually very excited to do this!
I best I got from a friend for the half in 2014 was salted pretzel sticks. Not the small ones they're including in the post-race boxes, but real ones :)

You may want to check with some of those massive FB groups about this because I feel like I saw comments about them not allowing people from BLT or CR to come out to the road this past MW, and people were upset about it.

I might take you up on your offer. :)

My DW (who has run a few Dopeys) spectated while I ran last year. Her plan was a little different as she was trying to see me in different spots but she spent the first part on the concrete median out front of CR, then took the monorail over to Poly and cheered from there, then took the monorail to Epcot and cheered from the stands / generally spent time around that area.

She says her favorite was out front of CR as there weren’t that many other spectators but those that were there quickly bonded/struck up conversations and it was a good time, plus being close to the room or Contempo Grounds for coffee/refills, close to the room if she needed to change/drop layers, etc. She also reports there was a palpable high among the runners given it’s still relatively early in the race and the anticipation of MK is kicking in, so a good vibe. If security or anyone ever bothered spectators there it didn’t happen while she was there. My selfie with her at that spot was at 7:06am, FWIW, so can’t speak to conditions much after that.

I’m not one to really take food/candy from those cheering but I do always appreciate a Kleenex if it’s a cooler morning. 🤧

You may want to check with some of those massive FB groups about this because I feel like I saw comments about them not allowing people from BLT or CR to come out to the road this past MW, and people were upset about it.

DH came out from our Bay Lake room last year, and he was able to spectate from the corner but they did not let him cross to the median. I handed items off to him but had to cross over to him. There were others in the median who had gotten out earlier, so I think if I can get out there early enough, I could get at least to the middle.

She says her favorite was out front of CR as there weren’t that many other spectators but those that were there quickly bonded/struck up conversations and it was a good time, plus being close to the room or Contempo Grounds for coffee/refills, close to the room if she needed to change/drop layers, etc. She also reports there was a palpable high among the runners given it’s still relatively early in the race and the anticipation of MK is kicking in, so a good vibe. If security or anyone ever bothered spectators there it didn’t happen while she was there. My selfie with her at that spot was at 7:06am, FWIW, so can’t speak to conditions much after that.
I love all of this! And Kleenex is a great idea.

Since pin inventory are apparently a debacle for W&D already.... Anyone want to split the pin packages for MW? We only collect the distance pins, so if someone wants the "I did it" pins and someone wants the mini medal replicas I would be down to split the cost. We will be at the HH meetup, or I'd be happy to meet up at the expo or even at one of the pre-race morning meetups.

Since pin inventory are apparently a debacle for W&D already.... Anyone want to split the pin packages for MW? We only collect the distance pins, so if someone wants the "I did it" pins and someone wants the mini medal replicas I would be down to split the cost. We will be at the HH meetup, or I'd be happy to meet up at the expo or even at one of the pre-race morning meetups.
Thinking about this. I usually do the medal replicas, but I'm "only" doing the first three races so I wouldn't need the challenge or marathon pins.

Thinking about this. I usually do the medal replicas, but I'm "only" doing the first three races so I wouldn't need the challenge or marathon pins.
The dopey bundle is already gone from the pre-orders page, but all of the separate bundles from goofy down to 5k are available.

I second pretzels. Most of us carry sweet fuel and the salty snacks are a nice break.

Jell-O shots?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter