Marathon Weekend 2024

GKTW just posted that they have some charity bibs still available:

"GKTW has bibs available for the following races. Fundraising is significantly reduced as; the due date is right around the corner on 12/1/23 at 5:00pm EST. Your registration fee counts towards your fundraising goal AND every dollar goes toward supporting our mission of providing cost free vacations for critically ill children.
You can register here: www.gktw.org/run
10K - $150 Registration Fee / $300 Fundraising Goal
Half Marathon - $200 Registration Fee / $500 Fundraising Goal
Goofy Challenge - $400 Registration Fee / $800 Fundraising Goal
Dopey Challenge - $600 Registration Fee / $1200 Fundraising Goal"

these tend to go VERY quickly, but if you were still looking for a spot......

Here's the map from last year (Click the FM tab). With the BIG caveat that the route may change, Osceola is open and you could easily get to HS.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1-s5mDiwMv7lqW4nFRDEAFDtBVrd2QpY&usp=sharing
Thank you! I really thought so, but I do not trust Race Brain on such details. :rotfl:
You can drive over to Epcot or HS on Osceola. Alternatively, (assuming a similar course to last year) you could walk north on Buena Vista until you hit the turn around point. It’s 3/4 mile from Sports to Blizzard Beach and there’s sidewalks the entire way.
Yeah, that’s an option, too, but I also want to do some park time that day, so I feel like it’ll be most convenient to already be at a park.

Thank you! I really thought so, but I do not trust Race Brain on such details. :rotfl:

Yeah, that’s an option, too, but I also want to do some park time that day, so I feel like it’ll be most convenient to already be at a park.
Totally understandable. Lots of folks just don’t even know that path exists so I like to point it out. It’s also a great option if you need a little shakeout run.

SAFD:

Good morning runDisney All-Stars! It is time for this week’s Sundays are for Disney. Last week we talked about running prep. Now the important question…. How is park time planning going - which parks you going to, doing anything special, any must do rides?!? Also, thoughts on pre-race meet ups, Friday afternoon gathering, Drinking around the world on Monday post the races? Let us know if you are interested in any?

My Answer: We are planning to go to all the parks, no special tours are anything but we will try to take advantage of any extra hours available. We will spend one day just hanging around the pool - and I will be one with the hot tub! As for rides it is all about Guardians of the Galaxy. As for meet ups I would be interested in attending the pre race meet-ups and the traditional Hurricane Hanah’s on Friday after noon; 3pm? I will not be able to do the drinking around the world on Monday post the marathon, but I hope many of you get to partake. This is starting to feel very real!

SAFD:
I'm already in spreadsheet mode with my planning. Which parks we are rope-dropping, $LLs, which parks to stack G+ for the afternoon, etc. GotG is 1000% a must-do as many times as possible. Can anyone comment on how the EEH for deluxe resort guests tend to be? Epcot has them on the 1st, but I'm not sure if it'll be "worth it" to stay up that late when we are planning to rope-drop AK the next morning. Special stuff: fireworks package at Spice Road Table. And watching HEA fireworks as many times as possible.

Pre-race meet ups at the usual light pole? Yes. Do we need to make signs? (It also helps a TON if people share flat-me costumes pics, to spot the group.)

Hurricane Hannah's? Yes. (Or if we need a different location, that's fine with me too.) We've done 2pm the last few years?

DATW: Maybe. MK medal pics come first, and there's still the park-hopping restriction until 2pm. And then we currently have a 5:45 res at Tiffins (which I hope I can move later if/when they extend park hours) so I don't know how that will fit in from a timing standpoint, but I'd like to try.

SAFD: I’m likely not doing any parks as I’m coming in solo for a very quick weekend and The half. If I do a park, it would likely be DHS on Saturday after the half. MW is really there as the first half of the C2C for me and California will be where we hit the parks. Having just come back from 3 days in the parks at W&D I don’t have a strong need to hit them again in January.

im definitely interested in attending the HH meetup. No DATW as I fly to California Sunday. I am going to get there one of these years!

SAFD: No parks for me. I'm doing Dopey, and want to focus on doing a good job with that. Plus, the cost of parks for partial days and trying to be careful with walking is just not worth it. Due to my recent RunDisney interest, we haven't done a true parks trip since 2018. We really want to do one, but I'm enjoying RunDisney too much.

We will be staying at Old Key West from Wednesday (Jan. 3) to Monday (Jan. 8) and will enjoy the resort, visiting other resorts and Disney Springs. We also enjoy sitting outside of the parks and people watching. It gets some of the feel of the parks without being in one. Epcot International Gateway, near the Skyliner station, is a particularly favorite spot of ours.

SAFD:

No parks planned here. In my opinion, this is the worst week of the year to visit the parks. Possibly the most over-crowded time of the year which means the demand pricing is also very high. We are not staying at a WDW resort, so we can’t rope drop and ILL are usually sold out before we get into the park. (ETA: Wasn’t trying to be a terrible Debbie Downer, a crowded day at Disney can still be better than most days elsewhere, I’ve just never been a fan of the early window Marathon Weekend when it overlaps with school vacations.)

Also, I have very little interest in a normal park day at WDW anymore, even at less busy times of year, after doing After Hours events in the last year. The double line system rubs me the wrong way at the best of times and I can simply get more done, in a more economical manner, and all while the parks are lit up and the Disney magic feels strongest. I was prepared to do a couple parks if the AH events overlapped with our trip but, since they don’t, we will just be going to Disney Springs and maybe a couple resort restaurants for our touch of Disney beyond the races.

Last edited:
SAFD: I have loose park plans for MW. We have AP so we don’t really do full park days anymore. Maybe HS on Thursday, nothing Friday and MK Saturday & Sunday just for pics. Monday after the marathon we’re headed to Hilton Head to recover for a few days and then back WDW to have our true park time for a couple of weeks.

As for meetups, I’m not sure. I’ve never been to one!

SAFD: No park plans as usual. I’m a local AP holder so I usually make plans last minute. I got the post race Disney crud AGAIN after W&D so I may hide myself in our camper at Fort Wilderness between races because I’m also running at DL. It’s a maybe for HH meetup and probably a No for DATW. I’d like a couple days at home before leaving for DL.

SAFD; Absolutely no plans at all! I’m “only” running the 10K and Half, and won’t arrive until Thurs, so probably I’ll book EP Thurs to have a go at a GOTG VQ before hitting the expo later in the day. After the 10K, I’ll be minimizing walking and standing, so probably no parks - maybe D. Springs or Celebration for lunch. After the half - wherever my friends I want to see will be, so I guess I’ll find that out soon-ish. Marathon Sunday I want to spectate and haven’t decided from where: this no hopping until 2 stuff is really putting a crimp in planning for that. When does that end again?! And then heading home Mon, so maybe a couple hours at AK for lunch before hitting the road. That’s about all the planning I’m willing to do lol!

Happy birthday to me!
I'm 12/31 so we will have to share a bday cheers race weekend!

SAFD: I haven't made any park reservations yet with the exception of MK on medal Monday. I always say I'm up for HH meetup and never make it. Hopefully this is the year! I may be up for DATW. It's a bummer park hopping restrictions end Tuesday instead if Monday. And I will be at the pre-race meet ups. A sign would be a good idea! I think it was SS there was fewer of us than a MW meet up and it was hard to know which group was the right one the first morning.

During my current training cycle, I plan to test out the new Maurten 160 gel, Maurten Solid 225, and Nutri-Grain Peanut Butter biscuit to see how I tolerate them. My goal is to see if I can take my consumption over 100g carb/hr.
Have you had a chance to test out the Maurten 160? Any thoughts? My fueling strategy is modeled on yours and I'm curious if I should give it a try? (I'm ordering a few things for my last few long training runs and for Dopey)

Morning of:
Regardless of race distance, my morning of breakfast is much the same. I wake up and drink a concentrated Liquid IV and additionally about 16oz of water. I eat a toasted bagel with peanut butter and honey as well as a banana. This meal should be no closer than 2 hours before the last time I realistically can use the bathroom. No more food or liquid inside that time period until right before race start.

How concentrated do you make your Liquid IV?

SAFD: I have a 3 day ticket. My plan right now is Epcot on Friday so I can swing by HH for the meet up. I have MK on Saturday since I'm only doing 10K and Half and I have to get my medal pics. Plus I love seeing MK at night. I'm leaving late on Sunday, but plan to go to HS. I'm thinking about volunteering for the marathon though or maybe just spectating. No extras or tours or anything this time around.

SAFD: I'll be there solo from Tuesday to Tuesday, so I'll be in the parks every day. I know it'll be stupid crowded, so I'll just be going with the flow. If it's too crowded, I'll just bail after lunch and try somewhere else later for dinner. I've got a couple of small solo board games I'm bringing, so I'll be quite entertained at the resort, if need be. As far as meet-ups go, I'm in for pretty much all of them unless something unforeseen happens.

SAFD: I have an AP so I'll play park time by ear. DH leaves the afternoon of marathon day, so I'll be solo until I head to Anaheim on Wednesday. I'll have to work some from the room, but plan on lots of park time then for sure.

I'm definitely doing all the meetups (except possibly marathon since I'm spectating, but I could come to the meet and get back to BLT on the monorail pretty easily).

Pre-race meet ups at the usual light pole? Yes. Do we need to make signs?
I'll make signs again! I think the neon paper worked great last time for visibility.

Last edited:
SAFD: I have an AP so I'll play park time by ear. DH leaves the afternoon of marathon day, so I'll be solo until I head to Anaheim on Wednesday. I'll have to work some from the room, but plan on lots of park time then for sure.

I'm definitely doing all the meetups (except possibly marathon since I'm spectating, but I could come to the meet and get back to BLT on the monorail pretty easily).

I'll make signs! I think the neon paper worked great last time for visibility.
A sign. Yes! Thank you! I am the worst at trying to find people pre-race. So if someone publishes that map again, maybe between that and the sign I'll be able to find you guys.
I should be in my Mr Incredible costume for the half, so if you see me, shout out.
Not sure yet for the full. Maybe Deadpool? Maybe something new?

Friday: HH at 2 pm sounds good. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Sat: After the half, I have a breakfast reservation for 9:30 at H&V, then I'll do HS for a while. Maybe after that, maybe Epcot for GOTG.

Sun: After the Marathon, recover in the room for a while, and then I'll head for MK. Hopefully take some medal photos, ride a few rides, enjoy dinner. Hmm, now I'm wondering about taking my medals from last time for photos. Wonder if it's worth lugging them?

Mon: drive home.

As for this week's running: nada. I did my first post-MCM run last Sunday, and then Monday evening came down with a nasty sinus infection. After a bunch of meds and antibiotics, I'm feeling human again. Maybe I can run tomorrow afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter